Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Those who know are bullish on Weeds

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Those who know are bullish on Weeds

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:10 pm

jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Those who know are bullish on Weeds

Unread postby bac5665 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:21 pm

That is certainly the hope. I know I'm hopeful, although I don't know that I would bet large sums of money on Weeds having that kind of success.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:37 am

He also says watch for three garbage QB's below, four if you count Weeds.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:02 am

TouchEmAllTime wrote:He also says watch for three garbage QB's below, four if you count Weeds.

Yeah, no kidding.

If this guy's waiting for the great triumverant of Weeds, Locker and Ponder to step it up, he's gonna be waiting a while.

Like forever.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:06 am

I'll believe it when I see it. Not impossible for him to become a good QB, but the deck is stacked against him. I do think he might be a decent late round/free agent backup fantasy QB, he's probably gonna get some yards.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby AttackOffense » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:13 pm

Weeden will be better in 2013. Norv helps a lot with that and so will the play calling. The bigger question for me is how good will this receiving corps be.

The TE position is among the weakest in the NFL and that fact really inhibits Weeden vs. other teams, many of whom have good TEs their QBs throw to and rely on in key situations.

Re the receivers, it seems Gordon and Little are more focused on their social life than football -- that's not good. Can they stay out of trouble and be focused? That's a big question in my mind -- it seems to me that both are trending toward becoming self-destructive divas, like Braylon Edwards. That doesn't help Weeden, either.

Nelson can be a great addition. But will he stay healthy? That's a big question. Another question is whether or not Travis Benjamin can become a valuable receiver, versus just a guy you send long down the field once in a while.

Bess is the most reliable receive on the team -- a real good one and a hard worker, too. We'll see Weeden go to him a lot if Gordon and Little are unfocused and can't learn to run routes better.
AttackOffense

Favorite Player: TRich
Least Favorite Player: SLavauo

Unread postby jb » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:21 pm

AttackOffense wrote:Weeden will be better in 2013. Norv helps a lot with that and so will the play calling. The bigger question for me is how good will this receiving corps be.

The TE position is among the weakest in the NFL and that fact really inhibits Weeden vs. other teams, many of whom have good TEs their QBs throw to and rely on in key situations.

Re the receivers, it seems Gordon and Little are more focused on their social life than football -- that's not good. Can they stay out of trouble and be focused? That's a big question in my mind -- it seems to me that both are trending toward becoming self-destructive divas, like Braylon Edwards. That doesn't help Weeden, either.

Nelson can be a great addition. But will he stay healthy? That's a big question. Another question is whether or not Travis Benjamin can become a valuable receiver, versus just a guy you send long down the field once in a while.

Bess is the most reliable receive on the team -- a real good one and a hard worker, too. We'll see Weeden go to him a lot if Gordon and Little are unfocused and can't learn to run routes better.

First word I've heard of that take on Little. All I hear is the kid is serious as a heart attack working his craft.

But year, had we drafted Bicari Rambo he'd be better in practice. ;-)
jb

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:14 am

jb wrote:
AttackOffense wrote:Weeden will be better in 2013. Norv helps a lot with that and so will the play calling. The bigger question for me is how good will this receiving corps be.

First word I've heard of that take on Little. All I hear is the kid is serious as a heart attack working his craft.

But year, had we drafted Bicari Rambo he'd be better in practice. ;-)

Wasn't Little one of the douches that felt the need to make it known on the interwebs that he was partying with the Underdog World Champion Came From Nowhere Who Coulda Seen It Coming Miami Heat?

I honestly don't know, I haven't watched an NBA game in 2 years, but that's what social media told me. But if he's desperately trying to show off his social cleavage at post-championship parties, then he's every bit the ho I think they all are.

PS - I could give a good Godfuck whose balls these guys decide to lick or party with, just don't suck as much as the guys that came before you.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:17 am

I have to believe that when they go to a 4-WR set with Bess, Little, Gordan, and either Nelson or Benjamin, and put TR in the backfield, they are going to make some big plays no matter who plays QB. The offensive line is above average, and Weeds has a lot of weapons to work with in that alignment.

It's the same formula Chud had in '07 with DA, Jamal Lewis, Braylon, KW2 (who was more of a WR than a TE), and Jurevicius.

My dark horse candidate is Travis Benjamin. With defenses concentrating on TR, Gordon, and Little, Benjamin could make a lot of big plays, both as a receiver and punt returner. Bess will get them a lot of first downs, which gives Weeden more chances to hit some deep throws. A healthy TR will give the offense better down-and-distance situations to attack the defense.

Weeden vs. Tannehil in the opener. Two guys Bucky Brooks picked to have breakout seasons. Should be in interesting first week.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby jb » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:23 pm

Prosecutor wrote:I have to believe that when they go to a 4-WR set with Bess, Little, Gordan, and either Nelson or Benjamin, and put TR in the backfield, they are going to make some big plays no matter who plays QB. The offensive line is above average, and Weeds has a lot of weapons to work with in that alignment.

It's the same formula Chud had in '07 with DA, Jamal Lewis, Braylon, KW2 (who was more of a WR than a TE), and Jurevicius.

My dark horse candidate is Travis Benjamin. With defenses concentrating on TR, Gordon, and Little, Benjamin could make a lot of big plays, both as a receiver and punt returner. Bess will get them a lot of first downs, which gives Weeden more chances to hit some deep throws. A healthy TR will give the offense better down-and-distance situations to attack the defense.

Weeden vs. Tannehil in the opener. Two guys Bucky Brooks picked to have breakout seasons. Should be in interesting first week.

IDK about nelson's value. he hasn't practiced at all and spend time in June in haiti on a volunteer trip. While I think that's gterat from the tandpoint of being a good person, dude has been rehabbing his knee on his own out of town and not practiced at all in OTA's. Considering he's awas a onth out of TC apneindg time in haiti doing good seems altrustics, but um, I wonder about his commitmentto football.

Pretty sure the top 4 WR's from folliwng the off season will be JG, Little, Bess and T-Benj.
jb

Unread postby jb » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:41 am

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7480/brandon-weeden

After studying each of Brandon Weeden's rookie-year throws, ESPN's Ron Jaworski came away "impressed" and believes Weeden "will be a rock-solid NFL starter in Norv Turner's offense."Weeden's pocket presence was a question mark coming out of Oklahoma State, but Jaws observed on tape that, "For a rookie, Weeden showed uncommon poise and calm in the pocket" with "consistently solid" mechanics. Jaworski was also impressed with Weeden's "ability to sit on his back foot and drive the ball with velocity." Added Jaws, "There's no question in my mind that his throwing skill set and Turner's quarterback-friendly system will mesh effectively." Weeden has deep-sleeper QB2 appeal under QB gurus Turner and Rob Chudzinski. Jul 1 - 4:53 PM

Jaws must be an idiot shill.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:34 am

jb wrote:http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7480/brandon-weeden

After studying each of Brandon Weeden's rookie-year throws, ESPN's Ron Jaworski came away "impressed" and believes Weeden "will be a rock-solid NFL starter in Norv Turner's offense."Weeden's pocket presence was a question mark coming out of Oklahoma State, but Jaws observed on tape that, "For a rookie, Weeden showed uncommon poise and calm in the pocket" with "consistently solid" mechanics. Jaworski was also impressed with Weeden's "ability to sit on his back foot and drive the ball with velocity." Added Jaws, "There's no question in my mind that his throwing skill set and Turner's quarterback-friendly system will mesh effectively." Weeden has deep-sleeper QB2 appeal under QB gurus Turner and Rob Chudzinski. Jul 1 - 4:53 PM

Same Jaws that called for McCoy to start last season? Same guy that said, " “If you don’t like Colt McCoy, then you probably didn’t like Drew Brees..."

You should just be thankful Mike Lombardi loves Weeds too. I mean, he does today after just killing him when he didn't have to like him...

BTW, pretty much all of us have said the same thing about Weeden in regard to the system. But that don't fix stupid and it don't fix lack of leadership. And it don't stop Pokey the Bear from trolling the boards ;-) ;) :wink:

Ceiling is mediocre and he'll get that under Norv. Yee ha!!
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jb » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:39 am

peeker643 wrote:

Same Jaws that called for McCoy to start last season? Same guy that said, " “If you don’t like Colt McCoy, then you probably didn’t like Drew Brees..."

You should just be thankful Mike Lombardi loves Weeds too. I mean, he does today after just killing him when he didn't have to like him...

BTW, pretty much all of us have said the same thing about Weeden in regard to the system. But that don't fix stupid and it don't fix lack of leadership. And it don't stop Pokey the Bear from trolling the boards ;-) ;) :wink:

"Pokey the Bear"?

:lmfao:

IDK why that strikes me as so funny. It's so stupid but I love it.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:22 am

FWiW, I wouldn't dispute or disagree with Weeden's fantasy value in this offense depending on how a league is scored. If long TD passes outweigh INTs he may have some decent fantasy value, which is where Rotoworld is likely coming from. I haven't played in a while so I have no frame of reference for what QB2 means....

But the other stuff, well, we kinda already knew that. Big arm, can drive through throws, can throw period. But poise and calm in the pocket? Meh. I submit that if I'm frozen solid with confusion/fear when being rushed by a pack of wolves that someone looking on might confuse that for poise and calm.

I just see it differently than someone who thinks he's poised and calm. Doesn't mean I personally think those who see it the other way are shills or idiots. But I don't see it that way myself. Hopefully in this offense it looks more that way than it did in Shurmur's soup sandwich of a system.

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

"Pokey the Bear"?

:lmfao:

IDK why that strikes me as so funny. It's so stupid but I love it.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:24 pm

One of the leagues I'm in gives better-than-average points for yards passing, only 4 points for TD passes, and subtracts nothing for INT's (yes, stupid, I know, I didn't start it). So a guy like Weeds might be a decent backup, especially if I eschew drafting a starting QB early.

This Gordon shit will hit any value he had, though, since that was his primary deep threat.
Hikohadon

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL