Text Size

College Sports Arena

2014 Recruiting

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: 2014 Recruiting

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:03 pm

Kyle Allen to A&M cleared out one of Barndon Harris' top three, but also opened a hole at ND who has now offered plan E, Kizer out of Toledo.

QB recruiting this year is a clusterfuck, which happens when you have three or four QBs in the entire country you would easily and clearly take, three of which (Grier, Heard and Watson) have been committed since their Soph years.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby furls » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:43 pm

So I am going to go ahead and guess Kizer to ND and Harris to LSU.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:24 pm

Darlington's offer is a camp offer
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:50 pm

Tweet from Steve Helwagen:

"From gary housteau: Parris Campbell won his semifinal heat in the 100 at 10.77 sec he has 3 more prelims today"

Lots of OSU recruits (mostly '13 kids) taking part in state track and field this weekend...Gareon Conley, Jalin Marshall, Billy Price, Darron Lee, Donovan Munger...

also Kyle Trout from the '14 class...
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:21 pm

Paris Campbell is a high class athlete
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:19 pm

Heard that Campbell's knee flared up later in the day, and he withdrew from the 200 after winning his heat in the 4 x 100. Will run in three finals with a brace, according to his coach
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:05 pm

Damon Webb was apparently absolutely tearing it up at a camp today. Rated as best DB and second best defensive player behind only Hand. OSU's DBs are going to look alot like the mid to late 90s here for about the next 5 years.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:24 pm

Webb supposedly outplayed alot of very highly ranked CBs at the Rivals 5* challenge. Very excited about this kid.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:47 pm

I guess Demetrius Knox and Damian Prince were both sporting OSU gear at the Rivals 5* Challenge. They were apparently 1 and 2 OL at the camp. Knox apparently stoned 5* Andrew Brown repeatedly.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:55 pm

What do you guys know about Johnathan Hilliman? He is in C-Bus this weekend is apparently loving his visit. The Bucks have not been very aggressive in RB recruiting this (not a lot of offers), but he is among the chosen few. It is a bit surprising considering he is a 3* across the services, but his offer list is a who's who of NCAAF ('Bama, etc.).

With the RB Depth where it is a RB in 2014 is really a luxury more than a need and that is really how they are treating it, so the fact the staff has offered says alot.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:35 am

Per Givler:

"Jonathan is wrapping up his visit today and it has been going very, very well. To the point that he probably should be put on commitment watch. We'll work to get more on his visit later and I'm certainly not guaranteeing anything here but definitely a situation worth keeping a close eye on."
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:17 pm

Buckeyes got themselves a kicker.

Sean Nuernberger...6'2 220 lbs from Buckner, Kentucky. He attended the kicking camp held yesterday in Columbus.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/06/2 ... -number-10
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:38 pm

Fresh off a visit to Bama, I'm not sure I like where this one seems to be headed.

Alex Gleitman ‏@alexgleitman 1m
WR Derek Kief @DKief10 will announce his college decision on Sunday
jclvd_23

Unread postby furls » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:49 pm

Sounds all 'Bama to me.

Darlington to Nebraska too..... so OSU's 2014 QB hopes hinge on Brandon Harris or "some guy."

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:17 am

I'm not as concerned regarding the misses on QB recruits for '14 as some people are...mostly because everything I am hearing says the coaches are so extremely high on J.T. Barrett after seeing him this spring. They think he's their guy, and if he redshirts...which he probably will, he's essentially a 2014 recruit.

Don't get me wrong...I think they should take a QB every year...and that is said to be Meyer's intention...but the staff's faith in Barrett as the long term plan reassures me that the position is in good hands, and that they shouldn't reach for a '14 guy if say, Harris...(or Collier)decide to go elsewhere. You know the top QB's are looking at having Braxton there in '14 and Barrett waiting in the wings as they consider their options.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:21 am

I'm extremely concerned for two reasons:

1) If Brax blows up and goes pro after this year (and who can blame him if he does with 4 OL graduating) they'd only have 2 QBs next year
2) Meyer's offense is so complex I'd really prefer having three guys with experience in 2015-2016 versus 2 (one of which is the still up in the air Jones). Meyer's offense was so handicapped last year due to the learning curve that I don't want to see that happen again.

Stephen Collier, come on down...
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:49 pm

Here are my concerns:

1. Guiton is gone after this year.
2. Braxton could blow up and go to the draft, but I think that is a lower probability event.
3. What does Cardale Jones do if he is passed by JT Barrett on the depth chart? Jones is not a bad kid, but he is also NOT the kind of kid that is going to be OK with being 2nd string his entire time. I think if he reads the writing on the wall that Barrett is going to be the guy, he will leave.

What does this mean? Next year we could have Miller backed up by Barrett and a walkon or 2014 reach. I think this is a very real possibility.

If Brax leaves, I think Jones and Barrett fight to the death for that starting job in 2014 and both stay.

In the end, the QB depth is actually pretty shallow even though I really like the players they currently have. Matter of fact, I can't remember a time where I liked OSU's QB depth as much as I do (for 2013 only). Missing on their top 10 choices in 2014 could really hurt.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:36 pm

QB Brandon Dawkins from Oaks Christion HS in California camped at OSU today. He's been getting very positive reports from the guys on Scout, and Jeremy Birmingham from Eleven Warriors just put out an article on qb recruiting.

He's a 3 star on most of the recruiting sites and there's a rumor that he might be receiving a USC offer soon.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/rec ... -situation
jclvd_23

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:12 pm

Was an ND lean that had his spot taken by Kizer. Givler said today he looked better than both Collier and Kizer, clearly.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:58 am

Last edited by e0y2e3 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:01 pm

Bucknuts reporting that 4 star and #41 overall player DE Jalyn Holmes has committed to Ohio State. Scout reporting that he was Vrabel's #1 defensive line prospect. Big pickup for Urban.
jclvd_23

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:10 pm

Bucknuts needs to put their pants back on, within minutes Holmes was on Twitter saying he didn't commit.

Rivals has been chasing him all morning to try and sort something out. Either Holmes backed out already or Kurelic jumped the gun, either way, meh. It's not like this one would have actually been over anyhow.

Big time player, top 50 DE w/ both Rivals and 247.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:12 pm

Jalyn Holmes #⃣1⃣1⃣ ‏@JayHolmes_ 5m

I did not commit

Looks like Bucknuts might have jumped the gun. Scout was giving a live play by play on their premium site earlier today. Seems like he either committed and didn't want it out yet, or he is awfully close to committing.
jclvd_23

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:16 pm

Per his twitter account, big time LT Damian Prince is visiting OSU tomorrow.

R.I.P Willie Prince ‏ @ HeavyGleesh 2m

Ohio state visit tomorrow, its official!
jclvd_23

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:42 pm

Word is a few... uhm.... coaches are a bit angry at Bucknuts for ruining the kids plans. Mom is furious, hopefully it amounts to nothing.

We'll know in the next couple of days but things still look good for OSU.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby neoleo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:13 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Word is a few... uhm.... coaches are a bit angry at Bucknuts for ruining the kids plans. Mom is furious, hopefully it amounts to nothing.

We'll know in the next couple of days but things still look good for OSU.

Yeah, this can't be a good thing. Hopefully it doesn't completely blow up. BN saying they had two independent and rock solid sources and neither said anything about holding off on the announcement (pretty much the same way they break all of their news). They haven't backed off the fact that he did in fact commit, they're just saying that they didn't know they should have waited. Probably going to hurt future info getting to some of their sources.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:38 am

Yeah, word is he's still a Buckeye, just wanted to get home and tell everyone before making an announcement.

One would think Bucknuts, for as long as they have been in the business, would take the time to confirm w/ the player as most other services do. And I say that ignoring the fact that all other services are saying they were told to wait, because he said she said is stupid.

BN really got themselves in hot water and the mom is still furious, so that's never good.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:28 pm

Looks like Prince's visit is now off.

Alex Gleitman ‏@alexgleitman 38m

Damian Prince will NOT visit #OhioState today per his coach

Also, per Jeremy Birmingham at 11W, WR Trevion Thompson did not make his visit to OSU earlier this week as planned. He says he'd like to reschedule.
jclvd_23

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:30 pm

Prince's visit isn't off, Bucknuts is baiting after yesterday's debacle.

He's leaving Maryland today and will be at OSU tomorrow per what he told Rivals.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:53 pm

One day camp is at OSU tomorrow from 9-4 so unless he is going to the camp there won't be too many coaches around for a tour.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Flash Gordon
Least Favorite Player: TWofA

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:59 pm

Love child of shawn kemp wrote:One day camp is at OSU tomorrow from 9-4 so unless he is going to the camp there won't be too many coaches around for a tour.

It will be worked out, a top twenty national player at the biggest position of need on the roster will get all the attention he warrants.

And plenty of these big time visits have happened during camps, including Holmes out of the park win.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:45 pm

Prince is supposed to be flying into Columbus tonight, and the visit will now be tomorrow.

Insiders on Scout are saying that Prince is the #1 Tackle on their board.
jclvd_23

Unread postby furls » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:48 am

Sorry guys, I am currently out of town on vacation in the middle of nowhere in Maine. The kind of place where you have to drive to the "Lodge" to hook into their satellite based WiFi network. Competing in a fishing derby tomorrow... anyways, great news on Holmes who cares about what BN did there, honestly, they have handled these situations a million times before and their sources were obviously on the staff. Staff did not tell them to hold the news (like they generally do when it matters). In the end, I am not sure that it really matters.

BN is saying the Bucks are trending up with Matt Elam also and that is VERY exciting. You have to like where they are with Prince and Jones. They may not lead for Prince (signals are mixed there), but they are in the hunt. Apparently Brandon Harris said something along the lines that Bucks are at the top of the list for his services, so that is good news too, but that one is far from over. At least, A&M and 'Bama already have QBs which leaves the door cracked.

Catch you all later, driving south to Bar Harbor (words I never thought I would put together... SOUTH to Bar Harbor!) today, so my connectivity should be a little better, although I am not sure that is a good thing.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:07 pm

Good luck with the fishing, Furls. Maine is beautiful in June.

I know I'm far from the first to make the observation, but the thing that stands out about Meyer in recruiting is the relentlessness, and the unwillingness to "settle". Last year, he loses out on a Dymonte Thomas, so he goes out and lands Vonn Bell. (Anyone want to make a trade there?) He loses a punter in a scholly squeeze, and he comes back with an Aussie kid with a huge leg. This year, he loses out on Lawrence Marshall early...shakes it off and gets a guy who is probably better in Holmes. A lot of it is patience...and playing the field carefully...something I attribute to the experience of Pantoni in managing the process and staying on top of who and where the best players are.

For all the talk about the OL issues at OSU...and by contrast how well Michigan has done in that department...it looks as if Meyer will reel in a great class of OL's this time around if any three of Mavety, Prince, Jones, Bookser and Knox join Trout and Jones in the '14 class. Meanwhile, Michigan will have no less than 10 offensive linemen with 4 years of eligibility this fall...all of them with great credentials, but at least half of them are likely to be disappointed, either sooner or later, with their playing time. How smart is that?

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:09 pm

So...the answer to the 2014 QB question is Stephen Collier, a 6' 4", 210 lb kid from Leesburg, GA. A late-comer that Herman saw at a Nike camp in Atlanta, and who later made the Elite 11 finals. The beat guys are saying his 3-star rating will surely rise with his commitment to OSU...the way these things typically work.

http://ohiostate.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p= ... id=6732273

Junior year (2012) highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehy7DKxmlt0

11W article:

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/06/2 ... ohio-state

danwismar

Unread postby noles1 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:50 am

Reminds me of Vince Howard from Friday Night Lights...

Hard to be a sleeper in this day and age but this kid looks like a good one with his makeup.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:23 am

The impending number crunch for this class is going to be really interesting.

Currently sitting at 12 and looking at McLaurin (camp offer at WR, camped twice like Darren Lee last year and will be in as soon as he goes public) very soon this class is essentially sitting at 13...

Add to that:
3 OL
1 Raekwon
2 Smith/Lattimore

and you "have" to fill out the DL (Holley, Thomas, Elam all still in play), take a Curtis Samuel, deal w/ the Quincy WIlson's of the world and maybe try to squeeze in a Gesicki (camp offer at TE).....

Going to be really interesting to see who gets in and who doesn't.

The class currently has 14 sports and will have 15 w/ Roby, from their attrition is needed.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:01 pm

Not sure if that number includes the spots vacated by Perkins and Pittman??, but I think it's fair to say we lose Shazier as well as Roby after 2013, and can probably expect 2-3 more transfers. Greene expects them to take 20-21 in February, when this year's roster casualties will be more sorted out.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:02 pm

Perkins schollie was taken by the punter and they were at 82 when he left.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:19 pm

Damian Prince is now a real possibility.

And the JUCO no one though we would get, Jermaine Eluemunor is also a real possibility.

If it were possible to define the term "killing it" it would be a picture of Meyer and staff with this weeks visitors. They also pulled even w/ Clemson and SC for Derrell Scott.

Biggest week of the year for this class, by far.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:37 am

Put this squarely under the caption of asking not opining please.

But this WR from Indy and QB from GA don't seem like prospects to get excited over. They look like 3 star guys pumped up to fill perceived needs while the SEC grabs the 4/5 stars.

Is there any accuracy to this sentiment we're rounding this out with 2nd bests?

Be critical, please.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby neoleo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:23 am

The QB from GA definitely fits into the plan B (or C) category, but this WR is a top athlete that the staff evaluated in person at camp. He's put up some sick testing numbers (electric timed 4.48 with a 41 inch vert) and has an invite to the opening. Even without a commitment to OSU he was most likely on his way to being a 4-star and moving up the rankings.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby neoleo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:25 am

danwismar wrote:Not sure if that number includes the spots vacated by Perkins and Pittman??, but I think it's fair to say we lose Shazier as well as Roby after 2013, and can probably expect 2-3 more transfers. Greene expects them to take 20-21 in February, when this year's roster casualties will be more sorted out.

I'm with you on Shazier Dan, but BN has put some things out there that Shazier is "definitely" coming back for his Sr year, even with a great 2013. I'll believe that when I see it, but have you heard anything similar?
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:47 pm

jb wrote:Put this squarely under the caption of asking not opining please.

But this WR from Indy and QB from GA don't seem like prospects to get excited over. They look like 3 star guys pumped up to fill perceived needs while the SEC grabs the 4/5 stars.

Is there any accuracy to this sentiment we're rounding this out with 2nd bests?

Be critical, please.

That's a pretty fair assessment, jb. Now, the QB is almost certainly underrated, having made the Elite 11 finals after being rated (for example) the nation's #57 quarterback by Scout. But there is no arguing that Collier was not OSU's first, second or third choice for a 2014 QB. Maybe Meyer found a sleeper...and one assumes that at least he thinks he did, or he would have passed on a QB in this class.

The receiver they like a lot...and they got a chance to evaluate him in person on multiple occasions. They love his speed, hands and versatility...thinking he could contribute either in the slot, or on the outside. And there are guys like Johnnie Dixon who look like better athletes maybe, but either they didn't like their chances with these guys, or made the decision that they like McLaurin better as a prospect.

As for "rounding out" the class with 2nd bests...not sure anyone would put projected Buckeyes like Raekwon McMillan, Marshon Lattimore or Jamarco Jones as 2nd best to anyone available. I have every expectation that Meyer will "close" well, as he has done his first two classes here. But I have no argument that Collier and McLaurin look like 2nd tier prospects until they prove us wrong on the field.

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:01 pm

neoleo wrote:I'm with you on Shazier Dan, but BN has put some things out there that Shazier is "definitely" coming back for his Sr year, even with a great 2013. I'll believe that when I see it, but have you heard anything similar?

I have heard some of those same things....one in the context of Shazier hosting certain recruits and talking about the chances for a NC in 2014...all of which can be written off as things he is expected to say, of course. I believe he's "definitely" coming back about as much as I would believe it if I heard he was "definitely" leaving. They wait till their draft positioning is solidified after the season...and then make the best decision for themselves. Anyone claiming to know definitely is kidding you and himself.

I would add that BN is not exactly known for "insider" type information these days. I have a great deal of respect for Steve Helwagen as a person and as a journalist, and I have also met, and like, Dave Biddle. But I don't feel that I get a lot (premium info) from that site that reflects access to the football staff...least of all concerning recruiting.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:25 pm

I wouldn't be shocked to see the QB and WR end up at four stars by the end of the year. The QB is raw, but he has very good raw tools. The WR, well, I'm never going to call a kid who camps and comes back a week later to camp again to earn an offer a reach. That kid worked his ass off and flat earned his sport, just like Darren Lee last year. And he's really, really fast.

QB recruiting this year was bad, no doubt there and I really think Kyle Allen should have gotten an offer last year. Either way, this was a really, really bad year nationally for QBs. You have two five star caliber kids but neither of them is a Braxton or Pryor either.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:27 pm

OSU took the lead this weekend in landing a top ten overall player and a top two OT.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... nce-125118

Also, Damon Webb is the RIvals recruit of the week:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruitin ... bb-1116460

By all accounts he killed it at the Rivals 100 Challenge (one of the top two national camps, along with The Opening). Wouldn't be shocked to see him end up a five star when it is all said and done too.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:17 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I wouldn't be shocked to see the QB and WR end up at four stars by the end of the year. The QB is raw, but he has very good raw tools. The WR, well, I'm never going to call a kid who camps and comes back a week later to camp again to earn an offer a reach. That kid worked his ass off and flat earned his sport, just like Darren Lee last year. And he's really, really fast.

QB recruiting this year was bad, no doubt there and I really think Kyle Allen should have gotten an offer last year. Either way, this was a really, really bad year nationally for QBs. You have two five star caliber kids but neither of them is a Braxton or Pryor either.

Thabks all. doesn't sound like there's a Joe Pickins out there this year.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby furls » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:27 pm

danwismar wrote:
neoleo wrote:I'm with you on Shazier Dan, but BN has put some things out there that Shazier is "definitely" coming back for his Sr year, even with a great 2013. I'll believe that when I see it, but have you heard anything similar?

I have heard some of those same things....one in the context of Shazier hosting certain recruits and talking about the chances for a NC in 2014...all of which can be written off as things he is expected to say, of course. I believe he's "definitely" coming back about as much as I would believe it if I heard he was "definitely" leaving. They wait till their draft positioning is solidified after the season...and then make the best decision for themselves. Anyone claiming to know definitely is kidding you and himself.

I would add that BN is not exactly known for "insider" type information these days. I have a great deal of respect for Steve Helwagen as a person and as a journalist, and I have also met, and like, Dave Biddle. But I don't feel that I get a lot (premium info) from that site that reflects access to the football staff...least of all concerning recruiting.

Kurelic definitely had some info from a source close to the WHAC on Holmes. He is way to conservative to publish an article that would later prove to be correct without it. The only middle ground is that he may have gotten info from Holmes' football coach or some other third party that Holmes verballed. He was adamant that he had info.

As far as Collier, you have to think he is a sleeper based on the elite eleven finals. That is a really big deal, and it speaks to a much more polished passer than OSU has been landing in the last 10 years or so (I think Troy may have been an elite 11 guy too). Even if Collier sucks, they still have JT Barrett and his presumed 4 years (assuming RS this year) of eligibility remaining. The 2014 QB is more about insurance and taking the pressure off of 2015 recruiting. Clearly Watson was plan A, but BN/247 is now claiming that Collier may have passed Harris on the OSU wish list after this camp.

Terry McLaurin is an insane athlete and I guess he is pretty far along with his route running and hands. I don't mind this offer at all as the Bucks have a pile of 6 foot fast guys and if McLaurin doesn't pan out, you just hope he transfers earlier rather than later. That said, you don't see many guys with a 41.5" vertical and 4.48 laser timed 40. Those numbers are from an independent combine, not one of his coaches on the practice field.

These offers are fine. Nothing to sweat jb. Camp offers are good things. That is how OSU ends up with guys like Laurinaitis, Sanzenbacher, Hawk etc. Numbers are short this year and if the staff is ready to take a commitment from these guys this early (leaving only ~5spots left) then I am OK with that.

On the fishing....

The lake is overrun with Chain Pickerel and they are basically destroying the fishery the locals hate them and looked at me a bit cross when I said I released a bunch of them (~15?). They are NASTY fish. The only fish they hate more in Maine are the Northern Pike.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:17 pm

Offensive Line coming together very nicely. 4* OT Jamarco Jones chooses Ohio State over UM and MSU

http://ohiostate.scout.com/2/1303287.html
jclvd_23

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena