Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

The Best & Worst Of Sports Movies

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

The Best & Worst Of Sports Movies

Unread postby Naxos » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:45 pm

Good read, Swerb.

OK my 2 cents :)

Basball Guilty Pleasures: The Sandlot.

Football Guilty Pleasure: The Replacements.

Boxing Guilty Pleasure: The Great White Hype.

Off the top of my head these movies jumped out at me while reading your article. I just get a kick out of them when ever I see them. There are a couple of other Golf movies (At least one by Disney) about kids/young adults from the wrong side of the tracks making it into the golf world that should be there also. Wish I could remember the names.
Naxos

Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: DA

Unread postby swerb » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:10 pm

Wish I could take credit for that piece, I enjoyed it as well Nax.

It was written by Swerb's Blurbs movie critic Mitch Cyrus.

I have a review of the movie "Munich" (up for movie of the year) by him as well that I will post early next week.

Also have a hysterical piece titled "I Cried During Brokeback Mountain" I may run tonight that is written by the sure to be controversial "Lester Green".

DJK is the site's other movie critic, and I have reviews from him on "Walk The Line" (up for 4 Oscars) and "Capote" (also up for film of the year) that will run in the coming days.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Naxos » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:27 pm

Sorry, Mitch. When I saw it was a list I immeditaly thought here is another one from Swerb. :oops:

I look forward to future reviews and lists from the both of you (and mabey even Lester). Though I am pretty sure I will never watch Broke Back Mountain.
Naxos

Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: DA

Unread postby swerb » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:56 pm

The Brokeback Mountain piece is a comedic piece ... don't worry.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:00 pm

No problem. I'm looking forward to reading Lester's review as well...although it may ruin it for me when I finally do watch "Brokeback Mountain"...lol.

DJK was looking at putting together a review for it as well as Crash and Capote, and I'll add Good Night and Good Luck so we'll have all the contenders covered before Oscar night.

I'll try to watch BrokebackMountain with an open mind, I'm sure, but I'm already sick of the hype. It may just be a great movie, but it's just so over hyped, it's reminding me of Shakespeare in Love...which was a good movie, and a great date flick, but no way was it better than "Saving Private Ryan".

So I'll watch all of them...make my best guesses...and then get ridiculed when I'm as accurate with them as I am football picks.

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:24 pm

Nice piece.

Here are my top sports movie "moments":

1. "Rudy" ripping down the QB for a sack. Gave me chills and I cried in tears of joy the 1st time. 100+ watches later, it still gives me chills and tears of joy.

2. "Dad....wanna have a catch?" "I'd like that." BAAHHH! Niagara fucking Falls! Of course, the sissy of a throw by dad sort of blows the scene.

3. "I love Brian Piccolo. And I'd like all of you to love him too. And so tonight, when you hit your knees, please ask God to love him." Nuff said.

4. Hobbs GWHR into the lights. Probably my favorite sports movie of all time....which again is sort of ruined by Hobb's son totally GACKING that throw in the end. WTF was that? What is it with people not being able to throw in baseball movies? Hobb's son, Costner's dad, Doc Harris in major league, etc.....

5. "I'll make it." I'm not much of a hoops fan, but Hoosiers is definitly great. Love those final few seconds.

And a quick shout out to one of my favorite movies: 61*
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby swerb » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:55 pm

In my opinion, Hoosiers and Caddyshack are two of the greatest films ever, and are my two favorite sports flicks.

In that next tier for me would be Miracle, Slap Shot, Eight Men Out, Raging Bull, Seabiscuit, Major League, and Rocky I, II, III, and IV.

Brians Song and Bang The Drum Slowly were also great movies.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture