Text Size

The Back Of The Net

USMNT vs. Belgium in Cleveland 5/29

Talk Cleveland City Stars, World Cup, MLS, and all other forms of pro soccer here in TheClevelandFan's newest forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Spin

USMNT vs. Belgium in Cleveland 5/29

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:12 am

A friendly on May 29th:

Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl
Official: USMNT to meet Belgium in friendly on May 29 in Cleveland.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: USMNT vs. Belgium in Cleveland 5/29

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:52 pm

Belgium will be great to watch. Some really brilliant players on that team, and worth a sneaky bet for the next World Cup
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Chris Perez

Unread postby Cease » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:13 pm

Good on Banner and the Browns brass to bring some action to the stadium. Could be a great draw for soccer fans across the region.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Squints » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:58 pm

I am more than likely going, but I'm not too crazy about the state of the USMNT come this time. Reports of a team mutiny are out there per espn et al. Huge two games this next week. Need at least three points out of these two games, I'd say 4, less than three and the mutiny will be in full force.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:07 am

Squints wrote:I am more than likely going, but I'm not too crazy about the state of the USMNT come this time. Reports of a team mutiny are out there per espn et al. Huge two games this next week. Need at least three points out of these two games, I'd say 4, less than three and the mutiny will be in full force.

No doubt. These games are scheduled as tune ups for WC, etc. May be moot and maybe a joke by time that match is scheduled to be played. Hoping either way a guy like Hazard will still play.

Becoming a Chelsea fan simply because of him and David Luiz.

I'll end up going as well with the youngest but I won't be happy about it if the US team is completely gutted.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:05 pm

Is it even guaranteed the US qualifies for the WC?
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:51 pm

Govbarney wrote:Is it even guaranteed the US qualifies for the WC?

Not at all. In fact, it looks more unlikely every day with all the chaos surrounding the squad.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Squints » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:23 am

Just when they look like they are about to self-destruct, they (again) pull a rabbit out of a hat. Two games, 4 ponts, exactly what they needed, up to third from last and sitting pretty if they can take care of their own business.

Beat Costa Rica in a blizzard in a game where any bad bounce could of doomed them. Defense stellar, GK outstanding yesterday in a hostile environment against their arch rival. A very Gordon Gee-ish win in getting that much needed point.

Always thought of USA/Mexico in a Kent/Akron kind of way. Passionate to those involved, hostile in every way, but the rest of the world just does not care.

This friendly at CBS in May just got more interesting.
Squints

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

USA v. Mexico at Crew stadium September 10 . will be huge, US could not have picked a better venue for such an important game.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:56 am

Agree on all counts. Excellent venue for USA-Mexico in Columbus and excellent point earned last night. Gomez was excellent all night and Guzan came up huge in final minutes. I didn't see final numbers but Mexico had to have out-cornered US nearly 20-2 or 20-3? It was ridiculous. They must have had four in final 3 minutes alone.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Squints » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:02 am

Nice to see USA Soccer wising-up, caring more about a home field advantage than a gate receipt and stop putting this game at the Rose Bowl or NYC. Smack dab in the heart of it all.
Squints

Unread postby Squints » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:17 am

peeker643 wrote:Agree on all counts. Excellent venue for USA-Mexico in Columbus and excellent point earned last night. Gomez was excellent all night and Guzan came up huge in final minutes. I didn't see final numbers but Mexico had to have out-cornered US nearly 20-2 or 20-3? It was ridiculous. They must have had four in final 3 minutes alone.

Little Round Top defense. They kept coming and coming especially late and the US turned back every single effort. Guzan getting pelted with shots is nothing new to him, having stellar defense is.
Squints

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:14 pm

Squints wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Agree on all counts. Excellent venue for USA-Mexico in Columbus and excellent point earned last night. Gomez was excellent all night and Guzan came up huge in final minutes. I didn't see final numbers but Mexico had to have out-cornered US nearly 20-2 or 20-3? It was ridiculous. They must have had four in final 3 minutes alone.

Little Round Top defense. They kept coming and coming especially late and the US turned back every single effort. Guzan getting pelted with shots is nothing new to him, having stellar defense is.

Good point. Maybe that's why the grabbed the AV Keeper when Howard went down. Knew he was used to scrambling like crazy and having lasers hit at him all match long.

Speaking of lasers, they should consider nuking Azteca next full house and wiping some debris off the map. Sizeable portion of that crowd was animalistic...

Reading horror stories all day.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 28, 2013 12:28 pm

I have zero doubt that tomorrow's Friendly will outdraw the Tribe and Reds. The question is by how much?

I'm going to say 2:1 with 26k at USA-Belgium and 13k at Progressive Field.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby ASPDawgpound12 » Tue May 28, 2013 4:48 pm

peeker643 wrote:I have zero doubt that tomorrow's Friendly will outdraw the Tribe and Reds. The question is by how much?

I'm going to say 2:1 with 26k at USA-Belgium and 13k at Progressive Field.

I'm thinking it's going to be a little closer to 1.5:1 if no one gets plunked in Cincy tonight.... If there is the retaliation everyone is talking about tonight, then you're right in the ballpark.

Fans want to see that fight
ASPDawgpound12

Favorite Player: Tyrone Hill
Least Favorite Player: DA

Unread postby Squints » Tue May 28, 2013 10:28 pm

Coming in with my oldest daughter. She is excited, still kept her excitement after I explained, for about the 4th time, that it is the men and not the women. She can still wear the Hope Solo jersey, just don't expect her to suiting up.

Scrolling the Belgian roster, there are some players on that team and may be a trendy pick for next's years cup. Should be a good test for the US as both teams should have their A line-ups in prep for the qualifiers.

AS for attendance, just hope the city and region represents decently. Not that I would expect an actual cup qualifier, but continued higher profile friendlies or international club friendlies would be the next best thing.
Squints

Unread postby ASPDawgpound12 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:07 am

As of 10p monday night, 22,000 tickets were sold for the game.... Looks like the place will be rocking!

In 2006 - 33,000 people showed up against venezuela - gonna be a great game tonight!
ASPDawgpound12

Unread postby Squints » Thu May 30, 2013 7:25 am

Despite, the result, pretty darn cool last night. Lower bowl filled, middle bowl essentially filled. Electric atmosphere throughout most of the game. We should get more of these type of games coming to Cleveland.

As for between the lines- a lot to be desired. Defense shredded, MF outplayed, weaknesses exposed against one of the world's better teams. Looking at a 3 and out next summer.
Squints

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 30, 2013 7:30 am

Squints wrote:Despite, the result, pretty darn cool last night. Lower bowl filled, middle bowl essentially filled. Electric atmosphere throughout most of the game. We should get more of these type of games coming to Cleveland.

As for between the lines- a lot to be desired. Defense shredded, MF outplayed, weaknesses exposed against one of the world's better teams. Looking at a 3 and out next summer.

If they get in. They better fix a few of those problems (and they do have them all over the field as you noted) to get in. I would not be completely stunned if they did not.

And while I understand Bradley didn't play, neither did Hazard. And Benteke STILL didn't start.

And tough 100th CAP for Beasley last night.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Squints » Thu May 30, 2013 8:37 am

Absolutely, there is work that needs done, but I do think they get in- they return to the comforts of CONCACAF and have to only place in the top three to guarantee a spot; finish 4th and go to a playoff against New Zealand. They have some stuff to figure out, but they'll get it together to make the cup. If not, bomb the program then and there and give Alex Morgan et al their own network.

I take away that they have no shot against the elite teams, not even a puncher's chance, I say that knowing that a few of their names didn't play. Belgium is good, but doesn't ring familiar like Spain, Italy, etc. and the country is a small dot on the map, somewhere along the coast by France and Germany, known as the Netherlands uncool twin brother.
Squints

Unread postby ASPDawgpound12 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:04 am

Barring a terrible set back, I don't think they will have trouble finishing in the top 4, but then there is a ton of work to do.. based on what we saw last night, a 3 and out is a strong possibility, but the goal is to make it in and see what happens from there.

There were a few positives last night, but from what I saw (and I don't know if it is our new style or Belgium being that much better than us) it seemed as though we were playing short handed the whole time. The D of Belgium had us surrounded most of the game and capitalized on the smallest error in touch from our side. It feels like this new coaching staff has less of an attacking mindset, and I think that will kill us in the transition, just like it seemed to last night. Is this due to the new coaches still trying to find the right squad on the field, or are we done seeing the attacking style that we were used to last world cup due to the personnel changing? That's the first time in the new era that we put 2 goals in the net, which is not going to win you a lot of qualifying/cup games...
ASPDawgpound12

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:47 am

Squints wrote:Absolutely, there is work that needs done, but I do think they get in- they return to the comforts of CONCACAF and have to only place in the top three to guarantee a spot; finish 4th and go to a playoff against New Zealand. They have some stuff to figure out, but they'll get it together to make the cup. If not, bomb the program then and there and give Alex Morgan et al their own network.

I take away that they have no shot against the elite teams, not even a puncher's chance, I say that knowing that a few of their names didn't play. Belgium is good, but doesn't ring familiar like Spain, Italy, etc. and the country is a small dot on the map, somewhere along the coast by France and Germany, known as the Netherlands uncool twin brother.

Belgium is excellent. They're a legit WC Semifinal candidate.

Look at that roster and 1/3 of their players are EPL rostered and 10 more are Bundesliga, Serie A or other premier league rostered.

In fact, anyone looking for a bet on the WC would be wise to follow Belgium because they'll be undervalued for sure.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Squints » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:54 pm

^^^^ Pretty much the theme of the thread summed up.

Looking good tonight. Back to the comforts of CONCACAF and sitting pretty with 6 points in the last two games after pulling another rabbit Friday.

Seattle is bringing it tonight, as they do every time. US Soccer should be done assigning any match against a Central American/Mexico team to any southern city.
Squints

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:37 am

Squints wrote:^^^^ Pretty much the theme of the thread summed up.

Looking good tonight. Back to the comforts of CONCACAF and sitting pretty with 6 points in the last two games after pulling another rabbit Friday.

Seattle is bringing it tonight, as they do every time. US Soccer should be done assigning any match against a Central American/Mexico team to any southern city.

That was an impressive win that could have easily been 4-0 or 5-0.

It was effective and it was pretty. The E Johnson goal was gorgeous and the Altidore goal asn't far behind. Wish Beasley's shot would have snuck in because he worked his ass off for it and it was set up perfectly through Dempsey and Altidore who are becoming a freaking load for teams to handle.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:36 am

peeker643 wrote:
Squints wrote:^^^^ Pretty much the theme of the thread summed up.

That was an impressive win that could have easily been 4-0 or 5-0.

It was effective and it was pretty. The E Johnson goal was gorgeous and the Altidore goal asn't far behind. Wish Beasley's shot would have snuck in because he worked his ass off for it and it was set up perfectly through Dempsey and Altidore who are becoming a freaking load for teams to handle.

Gotta say Seattle really showed up for that one. That place was pretty electric.

So, are they for sure in the WC now? Or is there still a chance they don't qualify?
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:50 am

peeker643 wrote:It was effective and it was pretty. The E Johnson goal was gorgeous and the Altidore goal asn't far behind. Wish Beasley's shot would have snuck in because he worked his ass off for it and it was set up perfectly through Dempsey and Altidore who are becoming a freaking load for teams to handle.

The heel flick by Bradley that setup Beasley's run was absolutely brilliant as was his 30 yrd bomb later on to setup another chance. Ian Darke hit the nail on the head praising the US for its creativity on the attack. I don't recall seeing that much crisp/deft passing in the 1st third since the Klinsmann era began. A+ performance last night and the defense (until the 91') held its own.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby Squints » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:43 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
Gotta say Seattle really showed up for that one. That place was pretty electric.

So, are they for sure in the WC now? Or is there still a chance they don't qualify?

They haven't officially qualified, but they lead the group with half the games played. They control their own destiny as the top three of 6 automatically qualify for the cup and the 4th place team plays a home/home playoff with New Zealand. This team has yin and yanged since Klinsman took control, so don't count your chickens, but they look like they are starting to gel.

Seattle always brings it, no matter what- I heard on the broadcast that they lead the mls in avg attendance by 20,000 over the next team- the pacific nw mls teams are the three in the league where you could ALMOST think that you are watching a European league. Considering the prestige of the league, it would be like a D league team selling out their arena every time.
Squints

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:08 pm

Squints wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:

They haven't officially qualified, but they lead the group with half the games played. They control their own destiny as the top three of 6 automatically qualify for the cup and the 4th place team plays a home/home playoff with New Zealand. This team has yin and yanged since Klinsman took control, so don't count your chickens, but they look like they are starting to gel.

Seattle always brings it, no matter what- I heard on the broadcast that they lead the mls in avg attendance by 20,000 over the next team- the pacific nw mls teams are the three in the league where you could ALMOST think that you are watching a European league. Considering the prestige of the league, it would be like a D league team selling out their arena every time.

Seattle had 53k for a regular season MLS game a week ago. The Mariners don't draw that in 5 games.

And it's pretty much 16 points required to qualify for WC. US has 10 half the matches left and th majority at home. They SHOULD be a lock. 98.5% chance per ESPN last night.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Spin » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:49 pm

There's just something about a sweaty smiling Abby Wombach...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:11 am

peeker643 wrote:
Squints wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:

Seattle had 53k for a regular season MLS game a week ago. The Mariners don't draw that in 5 games.

And it's pretty much 16 points required to qualify for WC. US has 10 half the matches left and th majority at home. They SHOULD be a lock. 98.5% chance per ESPN last night.

Seattle fans do bring it no doubt, but it misleading to the the attendence figures because they play in the football stadium for all home games.
The newer MLS only facilities like in KC and C-bus only seat 22 to 25k...
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:24 am

Altidore played out of his mind tonight, hat trick vs Bosnia. Big road win against very good Euro team. Credit Klinsman for making subs and formation change at halftime. Bradley is playing great right now...

Why weren't some of the MLS regulars out there...Was it because of the travel and nature of it being a friendly and not a WCQ game?
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Unread postby Squints » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:00 am

Klinsman used a Euro-based squad for this game v.s. using an MLS/N. American based squad for the Gold Cup. He essentially ran out an A and B team this summer (A- friendlies and WCQ, B- Gold Cup) and give him credit for giving everyone a look. Will see how he meshes the rosters for the upcoming Sept qualifiers.

Jozy looks like he is ready to be the man. I'll take a line of him and Dempsey up top for the Cup. And I am cool with Landy coming off the bench for a spark if he accepts his role and will play well with others. He clearly looked rejuvenated during the Gold Cup.

Great game, came back from 2 down and won on the road. Bosnia is ranked 13th and will make the Cup. This team has come along way since Belgium.
Squints

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:18 am

Altidore scored the way the most accomplished goal scorers in the world scored on each of his goals yesterday. The first one was just a tremendous first touch and shot, the second was a ridiculous free kick to the top left and the third was just a goal scorers goal on a great play by Bradley (who is, IMO, the catalyst and the most important player on that club).

Like others said, that was a big win down 2-0 at half to a legit Euro team.

Fun watching them pick up the Klinsmann nuances and fun seeing the country develop top flight international players.

Still sick for Stuart Holden. What a shame for that kid who may have been the best of the US players had he stayed healthy.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Return to The Back Of The Net