Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Chris Perez Does Drugs!

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: Chris Perez Does Drugs!

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:03 pm

I don't think anyone gives a shit about him either way, but I know his neighbors wish he'd cut his fucking grass, lazy fuck.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:12 pm

Looks Like Josh Gordon does Drugs to
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby 1Perry » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:44 pm

Looks like Perez and his wife will both be charged.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/93520 ... possession
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:47 pm

This explains the Song of the Day at least.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby bookelly » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:09 pm

Glad I used "bookelly" and my avatar as the return address. I was really sweating that one.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:32 am

Does Chris Perez pitch for the Indians again this year?
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby ClevelandFanInNewYork » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:41 am

RedDawg53 wrote:Does Chris Perez pitch for the Indians again this year?

I think the more important question here is:
"Do the Indians have a save situation again this year?"
ClevelandFanInNewYork

Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: Any New Yorker

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:54 am

Without doubt, if he's healthy yes.

MLB can't suspend him as he hasn't failed a drugs test (to my knowledge) and the legal process is a civil matter outside of their jurisdiction..... there's a precedence for this as Tim Lincecum was charged with misdemeanor Marijuana possession a couple of years ago and MLB couldn't touch him.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:29 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:

MLB can't suspend him as he hasn't failed a drugs test (to my knowledge) and the legal process is a civil matter outside of their jurisdiction..... there's a precedence for this as Tim Lincecum was charged with misdemeanor Marijuana possession a couple of years ago and MLB couldn't touch him.

A major league player has to damn near kill someone before that union allows even a slap on the wrist.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:56 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:

Precarious position to take right now. After the last few days I'm not sure Bud and MLB give much of a crap whether someone failed a drug test or not anymore.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:04 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:

Precarious position to take right now. After the last few days I'm not sure Bud and MLB give much of a crap whether someone failed a drug test or not anymore.

There's precedence and the Union is as powerful as it gets... no way there's a suspension forthcoming, not without an appeal and undoubted over-turning.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:07 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:

There's precedence and the Union is as powerful as it gets... no way there's a suspension forthcoming, not without an appeal and undoubted over-turning.

I don't disagree. I'm just wondering how this is different from the ARod/Braun situation where there are reports of MlB going for 100 games.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:21 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:

I don't disagree. I'm just wondering how this is different from the ARod/Braun situation where there are reports of MlB going for 100 games.

I believe, and don't quote me on this, that the actual Drug Policy wording allows suspensions relating to performance enhancing drugs to not only be levied in the event of a failed test but also for evidence of "use and possession" - I guess MLB considers Bosch's potential testimony as sufficient evidence.

I don't believe that stipulation applies to drugs of abuse. Also, drugs of abuse don't get tested for randomly either - they only get tested for if there is evidence that the player in question has used drugs of abuse in the last 12 months. So, you can bet your life that Perez will be tested for it moving forward.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:29 pm

Another thing is, there's also an argument that the Union may not be as vociferous with their defense of the alleged cheats who took performance enhancing drugs than they would when defending a misdemeanour drug of abuse charge.

I know that might sound a little odd but, you have to consider that the Union will be in a "difficult" position - how strongly can they defend a proportionately small number of players who have allegedly cheated and did so at the detrement of the rest of the Union members?!

Defending the "wrong" minority who have wronged the "right" majority if that makes sense.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:15 am

Chris Perez charged with marijuana possession after package of pot mailed to HIS DOG. Sounds like he's related to Manny Ramirez

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... 50484.html
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby idoctribefan » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:24 pm

I didn't realize that 1-800-PET-MEDS sold medical mariujuana. FWIW, I've never known anyone named "Brody" who didn't smoke pot so the wife may have a legitimate defense.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:27 pm

idoctribefan wrote:I didn't realize that 1-800-PET-MEDS sold medical mariujuana. FWIW, I've never known anyone named "Brody" who didn't smoke pot so the wife may have a legitimate defense.

You're an eye doctor, maybe Chris was just trying to prevent glaucoma.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Spin » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:38 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Another thing is, there's also an argument that the Union may not be as vociferous with their defense of the alleged cheats who took performance enhancing drugs than they would when defending a misdemeanour drug of abuse charge.

I know that might sound a little odd but, you have to consider that the Union will be in a "difficult" position - how strongly can they defend a proportionately small number of players who have allegedly cheated and did so at the detrement of the rest of the Union members?!

Defending the "wrong" minority who have wronged the "right" majority if that makes sense.

That may be what MLB is banking on, because they basically have one witness who's a proven liar to back up their attempt at self destruction.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby idoctribefan » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:25 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
idoctribefan wrote:I didn't realize that 1-800-PET-MEDS sold medical mariujuana. FWIW, I've never known anyone named "Brody" who didn't smoke pot so the wife may have a legitimate defense.

FT1I's eye doctor should recommend a selective laser trabeculoplasty for his glaucoma, rather than medicinal therapy. The laser has minimal side effects. The chronic has many side effects including red eyes, apathy, and an insatiable appetite often resulting in man boobs. They should put the list of side effects on the plastic baggy so that people know what they're getting themselves into.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:34 pm

idoctribefan wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

FT1I's eye doctor should recommend a selective laser trabeculoplasty for his glaucoma, rather than medicinal therapy. The laser has minimal side effects. The chronic has many side effects including red eyes, apathy, and an insatiable appetite often resulting in man boobs. They should put the list of side effects on the plastic baggy so that people know what they're getting themselves into.

Always with the lasers. Are eye doctors training to become Imperial Storm Troopers or something?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby idoctribefan » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:00 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
idoctribefan wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Always with the lasers. Are eye doctors training to become Imperial Storm Troopers or something?

Some of them, yes. But those with the highest midichlorian counts are training to become Jedi.
idoctribefan

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:04 am

ENjoyed the thread, but didn't see the obvious, so:

Sure, what Perez does is his own business. And smoking pot is no more harmful to the smoker than drinking.

But smoking on a regular basis absolutely affects you 24/7. You're not at your best, mentally or physically.
I don't think anyone who is being honest with themselves can deny that with a straight face.

Anyone who disagrees hasn't been there, or is in denial. And getting that much? There's either constant consumption or intent to distribute.

On a side note, when I was about 18, ca. 1980, I went for a physical. Dr. asked me whether I smoked pot. I was honest. Afterward, he took my mom aside and told her it's not dangerous, and she should not be worried. Kind of interesting, thinking about it now.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:37 pm

But smoking on a regular basis absolutely affects you 24/7. You're not at your best, mentally or physically.
I don't think anyone who is being honest with themselves can deny that with a straight face.

Anyone who disagrees hasn't been there, or is in denial.

I can deny that with a straight face simply because I don't believe you have a clue to what you're talking about.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby pup » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:34 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

I can deny that with a straight face simply because I don't believe you have a clue to what you're talking about.

I second CDT.

Stereotypical stoner dude? You may have him nailed.

The other 60% of smokers you wouldn't know unless you were smoking with them. They are all over the place and you have no clue they are.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:37 pm

pup wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

I second CDT.

Stereotypical stoner dude? You may have him nailed.

The other 60% of smokers you wouldn't know unless you were smoking with them. They are all over the place and you have no clue they are.

They could be anywhere, man!!!
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby 1Perry » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:26 pm

Indians RHP Chris Perez (right shoulder strain) made his first rehab appearance for Class A Lake County, pitching one scoreless inning against Great Lakes. The Indians' closer started the game, allowing two hits while striking out one. ...

Is giving up two hits in one inning pitched in A ball considered a success?
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:43 pm

Perez just pitched his 2nd rehab appearance - in AA this time.

The outing went K, HR, K, HR, HBP, HR, 2B, RBI 1B (runner out advancing to 2B)

Finished with 1IP, 5H, 5R/ER, 0BB, 2K, 3 HRA

Not good.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:42 pm

At least he threw strikes. Or so it would seem. Guys don't really go yard on balls very often.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:04 pm

Kip on the post game interview when asked about the wild 9th inning tonight replied with "Is Chris Perez not our closer? That was nothing tonight, we're used to it".

Said in jest.... and comedy gold!
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:56 am

If Perez is healthy he's the guy. Makes everyone more effective and slots out the 7th, 8th and 9th every night.

And unless you have Eck or Rivera you're not avoiding 9th inning drama w/pretty much any closer over a three year period. There is no more bottom line business than that business.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:07 pm

peeker643 wrote:If Perez is healthy he's the guy. Makes everyone more effective and slots out the 7th, 8th and 9th every night.

This.

Pestano started some trends last year that weren't favorable for closing, mostly a drop in velocity and a drop in whiff rate - thus increasing the number of balls in play. This year, the whiff rate is even lower, line drive rate way up, fly ball rate way up, and velo down even further. I'm not entirely convinced that he has the make-up for the 9th either.

Perez has a lot more margin for error at 94 than Pestano does at 91, assuming Perez gets his velo back. If he's sitting 92 like he was, then I'm not sure he can be the guy either, unless he locates extremely well.

Neither guy is optimal, but most closers aren't optimal. I feel better with Perez there over Pestano, probably because Perez has done it and looks more confident doing it. Pestano doesn't look like the same guy pitching in this new role.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:27 pm

Perez probably just had a few jitters. Needs something to help him calm down a bit.

Anyone go any ideas?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:45 am

motherscratcher wrote:Perez probably just had a few jitters. Needs something to help him calm down a bit.

Anyone go any ideas?

Open up that locked cabinet at your practice and let him go shopping.

although the way you post, it seems like that cabinet may already be empty... :nanner:
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:06 am

skatingtripods wrote: Pestano doesn't look like the same guy pitching in this new role.

A few games ago, he came on to close- I think it was vs the Reds, trying to close the first win after the losing streak. Before he started the inning, he already looked gassed. Sweating, huffing and puffing way harder than any baseball player should need to.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:26 am

googleeph2 wrote:
skatingtripods wrote: Pestano doesn't look like the same guy pitching in this new role.

A few games ago, he came on to close- I think it was vs the Reds, trying to close the first win after the losing streak. Before he started the inning, he already looked gassed. Sweating, huffing and puffing way harder than any baseball player should need to.

He's nibbling. Possibly a byproduct of knowing he doesn't have the same stuff and has to throw perfect pitches, but could also be a byproduct of nerves. It takes a special kind to close effectively. You have to be arrogant, whether openly or with immense confidence. You have to have an ego. You have to have the mentality that you can throw it past every hitter you face. I don't think Pestano has that. Seems like he used to, but he's a much different guy this season.

We could run down a very long list of closers who are/were complete dicks. I'm not saying that's a prerequisite, but there aren't many nice guys throwing 91-92 who are having lots of success in the closer role.

On a somewhat related note, the Indians are in a bit of a bind with the bullpen. With Perez likely walking as a free agent, and Joe Smith probably getting overpaid somewhere else, the Indians will have a pretty sizable reshuffling in the pen. They'll have to try out new LOOGYs, replace their closer and one of their primary setup men. They should be able to get by with Allen in a setup role. Shaw's platoon splits suck, so he should be a matchup guy. No way Albers or Hill are here. They'll keep hoping and praying Hagadone figures it out. Somebody will have to emerge from CC Lee, Preston Guilmet, or they may have to move Danny Salazar to the bullpen, though I don't think they want to abandon the starting experiment.

You really don't want to spend any sizable chunks of money on the bullpen unless you're getting a guy with a really great track record. Too much injury risk and year-to-year volatility, especially because guys coming off one or two good years have been used and abused.

I think Francona needs to be aware of this and try to use Cody Allen in more high leverage spots. I understand that we're trying to win games as well, but we'll be trying to win games next season too, so we need to slowly throw him into the fire this year and get him some experience in big spots.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:48 am

I thought Perez wasn't a free agent until next year.

http://www.indiansbaseballinsider.com/payroll
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:07 am

Kingpin74 wrote:I thought Perez wasn't a free agent until next year.

http://www.indiansbaseballinsider.com/payroll

You're right. My apologies.

This injury is probably a blessing in disguise then, because if he got 7.3M in his second year of arb, he was looking at north of 9 in his third year. I would hate to pay that much.

Not sure why I thought this season was his third year of arb. Either way, I wouldn't be shocked if he's not on the ballclub next season.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB