Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Arrested Development

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Arrested Development

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed May 29, 2013 11:59 pm

Anyone watching since it dropped on Netflix?

Found the first episode quite good. Best line was when Michael had to buy a plane ticket to read the in-flight magazine article about himself:

Michael: Just give me a one-way ticket to your cheapest destination please.

Airline Guy: You lucked out. Today, it's Pittsburgh.

Michael (pause): What's the second cheapest?
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Arrested Development

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu May 30, 2013 8:19 am

I just finished the season, not bad, no disappointment. It starts a little slow, but then really picks up in the 4th or 5th episode (the one featuring Tobias). The format of the season is different , each episode focuses on one character, and the whole season focuses on the events of a single week, with cut backs to some events from the original season, and the events during the 5 year hiatus.

I have a feeling this is the kind of thing I will watch again, and I am going to like it a lot more the second time around, kind of like that Will Farrel movie Tallidaga Nights.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu May 30, 2013 10:55 am

Govbarney wrote:I just finished the season, not bad, no disappointment. It starts a little slow, but then really picks up in the 4th or 5th episode (the one featuring Tobias). The format of the season is different , each episode focuses on one character, and the whole season focuses on the events of a single week, with cut backs to some events from the original season, and the events during the 5 year hiatus.

I have a feeling this is the kind of thing I will watch again, and I am going to like it a lot more the second time around, kind of like that Will Farrel movie Tallidaga Nights.

Good example - that's definitely one that grew on me too. Didn't think much of it the first time, but now I love the damn thing.

Everyone on AD looks about the same except Lindsay. My guess is there was some plastic surgery involved.
Hikohadon

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri May 31, 2013 10:59 am

I'm only halfway through, finished episode 8 I think. Loving it so far, watching every episode with a little kid smile on my face. Favorite scene was when Lindsey/Tobias/Maeby were in the model home and Lindsey forgot it was Thanksgiving but they found a duck in a cupboard and it ended with all 3 of them using real estate signs to corral the live duck into the oven and turned it on.

"It's a miracle!"
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri May 31, 2013 11:09 am

I haven't seen them yet because I'm still not signed up for netflix. But I'm planning on it very soon.*

I've heard reviews that are all over the board on these, but the most common is that it takes a few to get going but are pretty great after that, with the Tobias episode often sighted as the tipping point. I love the characters so much I have trouble seeming how I wouldn't enjoy them, even if they don't hold up to the originals. Because, let's be honest, those are some big shoes to fill.

*I have Road Runner internet with 15bpm. Do I need to upgrade that to stream?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri May 31, 2013 11:44 am

motherscratcher wrote:*I have Road Runner internet with 15bpm. Do I need to upgrade that to stream?

That should be fine.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri May 31, 2013 12:55 pm

motherscratcher wrote:*I have Road Runner internet with 15bpm. Do I need to upgrade that to stream?

That's what I got, and I stream netflix just fine , I can also play people in the EA NHL xbox game with no issues, so I figure that's about as fast as I need.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:56 am

Fuck Arrested Development, get Hulu Plus and watch Misfits, or use regular Hulu and watch it on the computer. So freaking good....

Although I'd guess mother and maybe Hiko would be the only people here that would like it. But fuck it's awesome, whereas Arrested Development is really meh.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:56 am

Fuck Arrested Development, get Hulu Plus and watch Misfits, or use regular Hulu and watch it on the computer. So freaking good....

Although I'd guess mother and maybe CDT/Hiko would be the only people here that would like it. But fuck it's awesome, whereas Arrested Development is really meh.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:48 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Fuck Arrested Development, get Hulu Plus and watch Misfits, or use regular Hulu and watch it on the computer. So freaking good....

Although I'd guess mother and maybe CDT/Hiko would be the only people here that would like it. But fuck it's awesome, whereas Arrested Development is really meh.

Does it have boobs and/or midgets?

It really should.
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:58 pm

Lots of boobs, profanity, super-powers and extremely dark satire.

No midgets though.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:44 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Fuck Arrested Development, get Hulu Plus and watch Misfits, or use regular Hulu and watch it on the computer. So freaking good....

Fer fuck sake, dude, don't be silly. Arrested Development is one of the greatest TV shows ever put to film. It's incredibly good. Doesn't mean it's the best. Doesn't mean you aren't allowed to like other things as much or better. But don't call it "meh". It's not meh. That's ridiculous.

I'm only a few eps into the new AD's so I can't speak to those yet, but the first 3 seasons are unassailable. The funniest TV I've seen since Cliff Clavin opted for electro shock therapy in a social setting.

That being said, I'll absolutely sign up for HULU to watch Misfits. I doubt you'd steer me wrong about something like that.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:59 pm

Honestly, no joking, I just never did like Arrested Development that much. I have been planning to re-watch it forever because apparently I need to, but the jokes were a bit too in your face and a bit too loud for me.

Great cast, great critical acclaim (which cancels out the Hipster thing), great everything, it just never really "hit" me.

That said, I've only ever really, really, really, liked one sitcom and that's Community. AND DAN HARMON'S BACK BITCHES.

Watch Misfits, it's awesome. That's why I wrote. And all four seasons (the fifth and final is next year) total like 27 episodes because British TV and stuff.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:00 pm

Also mother, you lost like 500,000 points when you called The Sixth Sense one of the best movies ever made.

SMH for eternity.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:46 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Also mother, you lost like 500,000 points when you called The Sixth Sense one of the best movies ever made.

SMH for eternity.

Oh c'mon, man. The Sixth Sense was phenominal. It just was. Admit it. It's OK, we'll all still think you're super cool.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:50 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Honestly, no joking, I just never did like Arrested Development that much. I have been planning to re-watch it forever because apparently I need to, but the jokes were a bit too in your face and a bit too loud for me.

Great cast, great critical acclaim (which cancels out the Hipster thing), great everything, it just never really "hit" me.

That said, I've only ever really, really, really, liked one sitcom and that's Community. AND DAN HARMON'S BACK BITCHES.

Watch Misfits, it's awesome. That's why I wrote. And all four seasons (the fifth and final is next year) total like 27 episodes because British TV and stuff.

I loved AD from the get-go, but it was also one of those things that I liked increasingly every time I watched it. Not a lot of things improve with multiple viewings.

I just keep thinking back to the scene where they build the miniature housing development outside of the window to fool the Japanese investors; and George Michael in a jet pack starts "fighting" Tobias in a Mole costume "Godzilla Style" and I can't think of much anything funnier I've ever seen on TV. Ever. I literally almost pissed my pants the first time I watched that. I'm laughing right now just thinking of it.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Lubber » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:25 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Honestly, no joking, I just never did like Arrested Development that much. I have been planning to re-watch it forever because apparently I need to, but the jokes were a bit too in your face and a bit too loud for me.

Community and AD 1st season share the same directors, the Russo brothers. Local guys who are also directing the Winter Soldier. Nice to hear you are also a fan
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture