Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

05/23/2013: Indians at Bahstun- The Return of Francona

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: 05/23/2013: Indians at Bahstun- The Return of Francona

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Thu May 23, 2013 11:12 pm

Symbolic47 wrote:Woot

Lets get em tomorrow now

Would be nice but they might have to wear snorkels and flippers. The rain that moved in tonight is supposed to hang around all weekend long. Harrumph!
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri May 24, 2013 8:27 am

skatingtripods wrote:Keep piling on.

Taking one from your book of Scott Arniel quotes eh?
Attachments
Arniel.jpg
Arniel.jpg (11.44 KiB) Viewed 373 times
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri May 24, 2013 8:54 am

As I noted last night on Twitter, let us remember Cody Allen was a 23rd round draft pick in 2011 out of effing High Point U and a MLB reliever in 2012. He throws an easy 97-98mph and last night that slider was sharper than I've seen it before (though not as sharp as you'd like it to be). If he continues to develop the off speed and he stays healthy he's headed for big things.

We often lament missing on 1st round picks and those clearly need to be better, but credit where it's due mining the depths for guys like Allen.

And yes, Barnes is still just 25 despite coming here in a Garko trade years ago. He still has a future and a chance too.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri May 24, 2013 12:10 pm

peeker643 wrote:As I noted last night on Twitter, let us remember Cody Allen was a 23rd round draft pick in 2011 out of effing High Point U and a MLB reliever in 2012. He throws an easy 97-98mph and last night that slider was sharper than I've seen it before (though not as sharp as you'd like it to be). If he continues to develop the off speed and he stays healthy he's headed for big things.

We often lament missing on 1st round picks and those clearly need to be better, but credit where it's due mining the depths for guys like Allen.

I like that Allen's mixing in a curve ball a lot more this season too. That's a big weapon if you can go 96 to 81. Having a third pitch is a big deal too. Getting harder and harder to excel in a relief role as a fastball-slider guy.

Like Peeks said, it's a free and easy 96-97. Not a whole lot of strain on the elbow.

Very high ceiling on this kid. Future closer? We'll see. He has a lot of maturing to do at the ML level before we start going that far. He has a lot of stripes to earn in high leverage spots. His average leverage index when entering a game this season is still just 0.94 (1 = average leverage). But he's growing and gaining confidence so that when we do let Perez walk, and possibly Smith also, he will be equipped to step into a huge role in the pen.

And yes, Barnes is still just 25 despite coming here in a Garko trade years ago. He still has a future and a chance too.

I like Barnes and prefer him to Hagadone. Both guys have flaws, specifically, throwing strikes consistently, but I prefer Barnes's 90-91 with deception and sweeping slider to Hagadone's straight 96-97 and diving slider. Personal preference, probably not the consensus opinion.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri May 24, 2013 6:40 pm

If Indians game rains out tonight, expect Trevor Bauer on Wednesday night in Cleveland against the Reds. Would need a starter so Masterson could go on regular rest on Thursday.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB