Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby jerryroche » Wed May 22, 2013 6:17 pm

peeker643 wrote:How does a guy 7'0 tall and 207 lbs NOT get pushed all over the floor in the NBA? Most 2s, and all 3s and 4s are bigger than he is. It is somewhat concerning to me. For God's sake, Durant is 240lbs and he's a string that ain't playing 5.

Agree, Peeker. Ty Zeller is 7-0, 250 and he's under orders to add muscle and weight because he got pushed all over the paint his rookie season. Can't imagine a guy 7-0, 207 or even 227 not ending up like a pile of matchsticks by May.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Bernie-Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Ratlisberger

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Wed May 22, 2013 6:26 pm

rk wrote:Is Okafor the best comp? Defensive presence. 6'10 255. 2nd overall. But offensive game never translated.

I don't recall him being that good off the ball in college the way that Noel is described but defensively he had the same kind of impact. Of course he was a 3 year guy at UCONN so there was less projection.

I would be disappointed with Okafor.

Maybe offensivly his game is like Ben Wallce, but he was a UFA by the Washington Bullets 6'9. Maybe Serge Ikaka 6'10. Maybe Keyon Dooling

I would be dissapointed with all of those guys. I'm not sure you can win with those guys in the starting lineup. Maybe Noel will just be a big off the bench in 4 or 5 years.
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Unread postby jb » Thu May 23, 2013 9:15 am

OldDawg wrote:Noel and Sergey Karasev (19 yr old 6'7" Russian SF) at pick 19

I was all set for Porter and Withey before the ping pong balls. Withey a solid post defender with limited offense. Noel is too, but Withey is bruiser, whereas Noel is quick/athletic.

What do you think? Noel + Karasev > Porter + Withey??

We need a perimeter defender not just a guy who can knock down the open 20 footer.

Show me a Euro who can defend on the perimeter and I'll show you a dentist with a picture of Bo on his wall.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu May 23, 2013 9:37 am

OldDawg wrote:This guy thinks we're taking McLemore with the #1 pick. Huh?
http://www.nbadraft.net/2013mock_draft

And out of the 4 picks, all of them are guards and none are taller than 6-7. Because in the NBA tall doesn't matter.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu May 23, 2013 11:24 am

In what world is Nerlen's Noel similar to a back-up journeyman PG (Keyon Dooling?).

I swear people just write things to write things.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby jb » Thu May 23, 2013 11:34 am

e0y2e3 wrote:In what world is Nerlen's Noel similar to a back-up journeyman PG (Keyon Dooling?).

C'mon. You know you wanna.

jb

Unread postby JJN » Thu May 23, 2013 2:48 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:In what world is Nerlen's Noel similar to a back-up journeyman PG (Keyon Dooling?).

I'm hoping, for my sanity, that he meant Kenyon Martin.

motherscratcher wrote:
OldDawg wrote:This guy thinks we're taking McLemore with the #1 pick. Huh?
http://www.nbadraft.net/2013mock_draft

And out of the 4 picks, all of them are guards and none are taller than 6-7. Because in the NBA tall doesn't matter.

nbadraft.net is (unintentionally) The Onion of mock drafts. At least that is the best way to look at them.
JJN

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:39 pm

Well, beyond the Dooling screw up you also have to keep in mind that KMan just literally ignores the impact Ben Wallace had on the 2004 and/or the fact that Chandler was the second most important player on a title team two years ago....

I mean christ, why would anyone ever bad mouth the performances from those guys? If Chandler doesn't fail the physical when he was traded to OKC you could be looking at a dynasty their instead of Miami right now.

Anyhow: Windhorst went on Simmons and that was enough to actually make me listen since it's almost all Cleveland based....

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantland/ ... id=9305730
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:42 pm

kman_holla8 wrote:
rk wrote:Is Okafor the best comp? Defensive presence. 6'10 255. 2nd overall. But offensive game never translated.

I don't recall him being that good off the ball in college the way that Noel is described but defensively he had the same kind of impact. Of course he was a 3 year guy at UCONN so there was less projection.

I would be disappointed with Okafor.

Maybe offensivly his game is like Ben Wallce, but he was a UFA by the Washington Bullets 6'9. Maybe Serge Ikaka 6'10. Maybe Keyon Dooling

I would be dissapointed with all of those guys. I'm not sure you can win with those guys in the starting lineup. Maybe Noel will just be a big off the bench in 4 or 5 years.

Like, this was really written? This post? Citing you can't win with Ben Wallace (were you asleep during the 2000s) and Serge, who was just a starter on a Finals team.

And Chandler is just ignored?

You name dropped a point guard and then said you couldn't win with Ben Wallace?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:06 am

e0y: Haha, your right Keyon Dooling, was a total misprint. Totally swung and missed on that one.

All my comments were based SOLELY on players who are offensive liabilities. That is not a knock against what they bring on both ends of the court, just on there offensive ability. We can't afford to draft someone who is going to be a black hole on offense, with either of our picks.

Keon Clark (Keyon Dooling)at 6'11 220 is who I meant to write, holding career averages of 8.2 points, 5.9 rebounds and 1.62 blocks per game. That's not going to cut it for a draft pick, let alone #1 overall.

Ben Wallace with career averages of 5.7 points, 9.6 rebounds,(2 blocks,and 1.3 steals not helping me look good) per game. Is that stat line going to help the Cavs make the playoffs next year, whether or not there coming from a rookie or a seasoned vet? That's why were here. I think to myself, why would waste the number one pick on a player like that if that is his ceiling, a diet-AV 2.0? There are things to like IF he can average 9.5 rebounds and 4.4 blocks, but we already know, the skill in SEC BBall is not as high as their FBall. There is no way without putting on 20 to 30 pounds, he can hold those averages up against big bodies in the nba who will physically dominate him. Even with the muscle he might be more injury prone with the added bulk on his joints. IMO Noel is a big off the bench in 4 to 5 years.

I thought with the trade of Harden and injury to Westbrook that these playoffs were going to Serge Ibaka's coming out party. He matched up with Marc Gasol who(during the OKC-MEM series) averaged above his playoff averages in points, blocks, steals, assists, fg% and (total) reb. While Serge Ibaka improved his scoring and rebounding a few ticks, his fg% went down. He shrunk when he started to get more shots. Ill agree he can still have meaningful impact on the game on most nights, I didn't expect him to come up so small in the series when his team needed him.

I don't believe I mentioned Tyson Chandler. I like him for sure, I'd be willing to sign on to a player of his caliber.

I would hope Chris Grant, would trade down a couple spots with the #1. Maybe MJordan would like to flip-flop picks and we can convience him to throw in next years 1st rounder with promises of gas rebates and free TAQUITERs for a year. Once upon a time he did draft Kwame Brown. I don't want us to add another name to the all-time #1 draft-busts list.
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 24, 2013 7:29 am

Let's try this again,

Have you ever fucking watched Ben Wallace play basketball? Four time defensive player of the year Ben Wallace? Two time NBA Finals appearance Ben Wallace?

And what exactly is "I'M ONLY TALKING ABOUT OFFENSE BECAUSE THAT MAkES NO SENSE?!?!?!?!" You either are the dumbest cock-sucker to ever grace this board or you're just making shit up for absolutely no reason outside of never having watched a game of NBA basketball before.

Ben Wallace won a championship and was a part of a multiple deep playoff runs. Same goes for Serge Ibaka is 23 years old and has already been to one Finals and part of two other deep playoff runs (and is really a 14 and eigh player at this point).

You're points are fucking retarded. Ben Wallace, not able to win because of his offense? Really? The fucking dumbest fucking point ever, ever, ever. Tyson Chandler took longer to win in the league than Serge, by the way you fucking dumb fuck, because Tyson was injury prone as fuck. And again, just in the last two years he won a title by playing defense and averaging less than 15 PPG.

Christ. You're fucking retarded.

Just beyond fucking retarded.

Ben Wallace couldn't win games? Someone really is making that argument?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 24, 2013 7:37 am

BTW: Keon Clark? That is your comp? Well guess what, I think he reminds me more of BIG Bird. BIG Bird never could win either and was never once considered with the top pick in the draft (like Noel, because Noel is already a more prolific college defender than Anthony Davis was last year).

I'm back to not posting in here Fuck this board with a gawd damn baseball bat.

Ben Wallace never won games. Ben Fucking Wallace.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri May 24, 2013 7:55 am

C'mon, kman is just hoping to outscore every team 125-122 and be the 2013 version of Loyola Marymount. Screw defense even though it's this teams biggest achilles at the moment. Somebody get Westhead on the horn
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri May 24, 2013 8:00 am

Big Bird is very tall. I like his hang time. But his wing span is really a concern.

And eye, I certainly understand your points, and agree that the Cavs need a rim protector, but I have to admit that I would like a more both-ends-dominant player with the #1 pick of the NBA draft. But he's not there. I am not saying we shouldn't draft Noel. I just wish he were Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Karl Malone...

And we forget Noel is a kid. Who knows what he can become in time. Very athletic 7 footers aren't growing on trees.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri May 24, 2013 8:11 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Let's try this again,

Have you ever fucking watched Ben Wallace play basketball? Four time defensive player of the year Ben Wallace? Two time NBA Finals appearance Ben Wallace?

And what exactly is "I'M ONLY TALKING ABOUT OFFENSE BECAUSE THAT MAkES NO SENSE?!?!?!?!" You either are the dumbest cock-sucker to ever grace this board or you're just making shit up for absolutely no reason outside of never having watched a game of NBA basketball before.

Ben Wallace won a championship and was a part of a multiple deep playoff runs. Same goes for Serge Ibaka is 23 years old and has already been to one Finals and part of two other deep playoff runs (and is really a 14 and eigh player at this point).

You're points are fucking retarded. Ben Wallace, not able to win because of his offense? Really? The fucking dumbest fucking point ever, ever, ever. Tyson Chandler took longer to win in the league than Serge, by the way you fucking dumb fuck, because Tyson was injury prone as fuck. And again, just in the last two years he won a title by playing defense and averaging less than 15 PPG.

This has to be nominated for a sticky in The Library, yes? I mean, I haven't seen that much vitriol since Tree was here, or at the very least, when you still responded to Pros. Absolutely classic. Certainly brings this to mind.

"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri May 24, 2013 8:13 am

OldDawg wrote:Big Bird is very tall. I like his hang time. But his wing span is really a concern.

And eye, I certainly understand your points, and agree that the Cavs need a rim protector, but I have to admit that I would like a more both-ends-dominant player with the #1 pick of the NBA draft. But he's not there. I am not saying we shouldn't draft Noel. I just wish he were Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Karl Malone...

And we forget Noel is a kid. Who knows what he can become in time. Very athletic 7 footers aren't growing on trees.

I think this is the crux. Its not there, so you almost HAVE to go with biggest upside in the aspect of what the team lacks the most. Ergo, you take an interior defensive stalwart who has nothing but upside offensively. Seems pretty simply especially with the #1 pick if Noel by consensus is the best defensive big man available.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 24, 2013 8:31 am

How about we just start with the basics and don't invent fake points that ignore the entire Pistons run during the 2000s to make bullshit points.

You guys can argue about whatever dumb fucking shit you want to argue about, but spare me inventing arguments and ignoring title runs.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jerryroche » Fri May 24, 2013 9:07 am

Being the contrary cuss that I am, I tend to poo-poo all the so-called "experts" who publish mock drafts--and they've unanimously put Noel at the top of their boards. For that reason (and the fact that he's just 206 or 207 pounds), I've not been sold on him.

But when e0 writes only one word to this board after the Cavs get the top pick ("Noel"), that started to change my mind. Say what you will about his vitriol, e0 knows his basketball. I don't know why he doesn't start his own Website, because he probably could rake in some major dollars.

I'd still like to see Grant trade down a spot or two and take Porter, but I don't guess I'd be disappointed with the Popsicle Stick Man at all at No.1.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Bernie-Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Ratlisberger

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri May 24, 2013 10:09 am

kman_holla8 wrote:I don't believe I mentioned Tyson Chandler. I like him for sure, I'd be willing to sign on to a player of his caliber.

Tyson Chandler you're OK with, but Ben Wallace you're not.

This is where you admit to having never watched Ben Wallace play basketball before he showed up in his broken down form in a Cavaliers uniform.

(But pssst, kman, could you do me a solid? Admit the above, but then immediately add: "But I did watch that offensive liability Dennis Rodman, and you couldn't win shit with that guy!")
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:52 am

e0y2e3 wrote:You either are the dumbest cock-sucker to ever grace this board or you're just making shit up for absolutely no reason outside of never having watched a game of NBA basketball before.

That's a pretty bold statement considering the history of this board. Might need to take this to the veterans committee for further discussion. There's been alotta dumb shit written here going back to January 2006.

Just sayin' ;-) ;) :wink:
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:56 am

Nope, declaring that a two time conference champion, nba champion and 4x defensive player of the year "couldn't win games" because of his "offense" takes the cake.

And then to bitch about that resume because he was a UDFA? As if that means something?

And on top of it all, for a "Cavs" fan to complain about that resume not being good enough? Hilarity.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Fri May 24, 2013 12:45 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Let's try this again,

Excellent.

jb

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri May 24, 2013 1:53 pm

http://www.cleveland.com/livingston/index.ssf/2013/05/nerlens_noel_is_not_the_answer.html#incart_river

This is worth a read. Some pretty solid arguments in there.

Seriously, why would we need a guy like Noel when we already have Zeller and Dan Gilbert wrote a dumb thing 3 years ago?

:hide:
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:12 pm

One thing people conveniently keep ignoring about Noel's offense is that he was one of the most effective roll men in the NCAA last year. It isn't like he is Tristan Thompson raw and going to struggle to catch Kyrie's passes when rolling (and/or struggle to dump them). This is a player that is athletic enough and explosive enough he will get buckets off the P&R from day one

Adding that to Thompson's improvement and the effectiveness of the ugly Jameson-esque floater and your front court will be able to get you some points. Hell look at the rate Andy was scoring at the last couple of years without LBJ and Z around.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri May 24, 2013 3:41 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Nope, declaring that a two time conference champion, nba champion and 4x defensive player of the year "couldn't win games" because of his "offense" takes the cake.

And then to bitch about that resume because he was a UDFA? As if that means something?

And on top of it all, for a "Cavs" fan to complain about that resume not being good enough? Hilarity.

I get your rant, but isn't the UDFA point saying if you want a premier post defender, you can get him with a pick other than #1?? That's kinda where I'm at with Noel. With the #1 pick in the draft, i kinda want my cake and eat it too. And the barely over 200 pounds thing is a concern for a post.

With a number 1 pick, you certainly want as sure a thing as possible. Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I am still stuck on Porter as an all around player in this draft. The kid averaged 16.5/7.5 and nearly 3 assists per game. And isnt he a solid perimeter defender as well? If we could trade down a spot or two, and pick up an asset/player, and still get Porter (who I think is much more of a sure thing), I would have to consider that.

It sounds like Noel's biggest asset is rim defender. If you solely want a rim defender, can't you get him later in the draft?

Gorgui Dieng, Louisville. 6'11, 230 pound shot blocker. From SI's Mannix:
Dieng, 23, has a defensive reputation (he was the Big East Defensive Player of the Year last season after swatting 2.5 shots and pulling down 9.4 rebounds per game), but his offensive game is better than most think. Dieng is a strong passer with a decent mid-range jump shot. Scouts also say he is one of the best screen men in the draft.

Withey from Kansas. Certainly not as athletic as Noel or Deng but he won't get thrown around like Noel will. I don't care how high you can jump, you can't jump at all when you're lying on the ground. Withey is 7'0 tall and has 30 pounds on Noel and averaged 13.7/8.5 and had 4 blocks per game.

A couple tweets and comments seen from draft express about Withey:
"Arguably the best defensive prospect in the draft."
"Blocks 15.14% of the shots taken when he is on the floor"

"Offensively, Withey was a relatively productive (17 points per-40) and highly efficient (62% True Shooting Percentage) scorer, but is certainly not what you would call an overly skilled or talented player on this end of the floor. He's most effective operating off the ball, finishing in pick and roll or drive and dish situations, where his soft hands, long arms and ability to play above the rim make him an excellent option for his guards to throw the ball to when he's on the move. Withey ranked as the #1 finisher in college basketball in non-post up situations, converting an outstanding 79% of his field goal attempts."

Are Withey and Deng better than Noel. Likely not. But stranger things have happened. Clearly Noel's upside warrants a lot of attention, and deservedly so. But "upside" scares the crap out of me. Most of the biggest busts in NBA draft history involved big guys with "upside."

What I am throwing out there is I shutter to think that the #1 pick in the draft is a role player. Can we get the rim defender later in the round... even if we have to package a second rounder with #19 to move up a few spots to get him.
Last edited by OldDawg on Fri May 24, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri May 24, 2013 3:51 pm

OldDawg wrote:I get your rant, but isn't the UDFA point saying if you want a premier post defender, you can get him with a pick other than #1??

If what you want is a really athletic 7-footer, who's already an excellent defender & rebounder, with oodles of upside, you can't get him in this draft with any pick lower than #1.

I love Otto Porter. But you don't pass on ^ for Otto Porter. You just don't.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:58 pm

Sure, let's start discounting every hall of famer that was a UDFA. Dennis Rodman, GARBAGE and a dime a dozen! You can find one of him every year!

Same with Ben Wallace!!! There are hundreds of him. Just look at guys like Dieng and Whitey who are considered average at best prospects in a shit draft!!!! All of those guys are better than Ben Wallace because UDFA!%!%!!

Noel has an upside no other prospect in this draft possess. Porter is more of a for sure average, so if that is what you want so be it. I don't care about much here beyond kman making simply moronic points while trying to re-write NBA history. Well I care about that and people doing even dumber things like taking extremely average college Bigs that have Zeller style upsides (just a bit more D than O) and comparing them to a freak like Noel.

BTW: Noel was 220 last year at the Hoop Summit and was playing around that this year. But just carry on with the 206 crap because he's rehabbing.

There are plusses and minuses to Noel, but his upside and ability to impact a game is 1,000,000x more impressive than the shit center projects you just mentioned. Fuck, Godert and Adams are better prospects than those schmuks. Jeff Whiteys and Diengerskajsfd come out every year. Freaks like Noel that can jump out of the gym, put the ball on the deck and dominate games on D don't come along often.

Otto's come out every year too. If the Cavs want to go that safe route and grab him god bless them.

But spare me shit about BEN WALLACE WAS A UDFA, THUS YOU DON'T DRAFT NOEL AND BEN WALLACE SUCKED TOO!%!!!!

And put away your fucking Jeff Whitey and Dieng bullshit.

You can make arguments to take someone like Otto if you want, but if you're going to don't be a fucking moron about it. BTW: since when is a SF that lacks elite athleticism a sure thing? I like Otto, but for fucks sake at least try and be honest.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 24, 2013 4:00 pm

BTW: on the weight thing, Thompson is actually a pretty shitty weakside help defender whereas Noel is elite at it. I'll let you guess which will body up the posts and which will work as a float defender. And beyond that Mike Browns aggressive scheme is set around bigs that fly out to the perimeter and back (hey, that Tyson Chandler winning Dallas a series thing keeps coming to mind!!!). Running that system with no Z and with Thomspon and Noel is truly an elite option.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 24, 2013 4:06 pm

And lastly, most of the *upside* busts in NBA drafts didn't produce in college or never went. Being the single most impactful defender in college for a year says a lot.

This is Derrick WIlliams and Knight all over again. All the way down to re-writing what type of prospects really average prospects are (like Knight and Jeff Whitey!!!).

I mean holy fuck we're now talking down Ben Wallace and talking up Jeff Fucking Whitey because all defenders are now apparently created equal. WAR: Tyler Zeller All NBA

Wallace won the NBA Defensive Player of the Year Award in 2001–02, 2002–03, 2004–05, and 2005–06 seasons, and was selected to six All-Defensive teams. In the 2001–02 and 2002–03 seasons, he led the league in both rebounds and blocked shots, the first to do so since Hakeem Olajuwon. In 2003, he was voted by fans to the first of his four NBA All-Star Game appearances as a center for the Eastern Conference.

^ CLEARLY JEFF WHITEY IS BETTER
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri May 24, 2013 4:39 pm

Hey, I never threw Wallace or Rodman under the bus. To the contrary. Nor do I think those two players careers are "tainted" because they were UDFAs. Those comments went to kman. But the point is that these guys were elite defenders despite not being drafted. In that light, you can make a point that you don't need to draft Ben Wallace with the first pick in the draft to get an elite defender. These two guys, two of the best defenders in the history of the league, were not found with the #1 pick in the draft. They weren't even found in the draft. You certainly can draft one (Patrick Ewing) at #1.

If I had to pick right now, I would draft Noel, and be very hopeful that he reaches his potential. But I am certainly going to research my options. With Noel's shortened season, I did not get to see much of him. Also, the way that UK team underachieved even before he got hurt is bothersome. Calipari didn't speak fondly of his players this past year.
OldDawg

Unread postby CharacterIV » Fri May 24, 2013 6:51 pm

Gotta take Noel. Hyper athletic, defensively oriented, he's exactly what this team needs.

If he ends up as Tyson Chandler (but healthier) or Ben Wallace? This is a completely acceptable NBA destiny and expenditure of a #1 draft pick in a weak year.

How about the thought we can actually get him to play offense worth a damn? Seems to me like this team managed to teach TT a semi-useful offensive trick or two, right? I've got a feeling Noel has more to work with than TT does.

Edit: obviously, you kick the tires on trades. But unless Grant can pull off highway robbery, keep the pick, take Noel.
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Hometown Pride
Least Favorite Player: Wiggins Remorse

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri May 24, 2013 7:10 pm

CharacterIV wrote:How about the thought we can actually get him to play offense worth a damn? Seems to me like this team managed to teach TT a semi-useful offensive trick or two, right? I've got a feeling Noel has more to work with than TT does.

Edit: obviously, you kick the tires on trades. But unless Grant can pull off highway robbery, keep the pick, take Noel.

That is the hope in this. He is a young kid. If you get him some coaching beyond the AAU coaches who have been kissing his arse since he was 10, who knows what he can become.

I know I have pushed Porter on here, but I would be upset if they took him with the first pick. If they keep the first pick, they should draft Noel.
OldDawg

Unread postby bookelly » Fri May 24, 2013 7:20 pm

Some mock drafts have Porter slipping as far as the #7 (mainly based on the needs of teams 2-6). Why couldn't we grab Noel and put together a package of picks to move up and grab Porter? Lord knows we have way more picks than roster spots anyway. Pick #19 + a bunch of our 2nd rounders and take on a bad contract should do it. Remember we also have a TON of cap money to leverage.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby pup » Fri May 24, 2013 8:27 pm

Calipari was on bull and fox today. It is Calipari so grain of salt and all for sure.

Four things:

1. Thinks Chris Grant is an awesome GM. Says Cavs picking Noel legitimizes Noel more than anything else that could happen.
2. Cavs front office spends a ton of time at UK. Have for a couple years and if anyone knows what Noel can become it is them.
3. Thinks Noel (late entry to UK) improved as much offensively in a shorter period of time as any player he has had.
4. His comp for him was an uberathletic Camby.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:06 pm

By all accounts Mosley (who was kept from Scott's staff best I can tell) and Z have worked their assess off to save TT. Frankly I've never seen a player come as far as quickly as he is. If there is one thing this staff has in place, it's a track record of developing raw bigs (and TT made Noel look refined). Now to be fair TT has worked his ass off to learn from them and is extremely coachable. But again, we are talking about a player who would break to the hoop on a P&R cleanly and couldn't even manage to catch the ball cleanly and dunk it. I'll give the Cavs big development duo some immense respect when it comes to their skills. I almost fell out of my chair last year when TT started resetting in the post and dropping that fugly floater of his seemingly at will.

TT's defense still pretty much blows but playing with Zeller and Kyrie makes it impossible to know how much of that he owns.

I don't see how Otto drops past Washington since they so desperately need a three and believe they are a playoff team next year. If he does it's game on for a trade-up.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:09 pm

Here's a question: if Cody Zeller falls to the 10-15 range do you try and trade up for him to get a stretch four to rotate with TT and Noel?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri May 24, 2013 10:18 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Here's a question: if Cody Zeller falls to the 10-15 range do you try and trade up for him to get a stretch four to rotate with TT and Noel?

Do you include his brother as part of the trade? Wouldn't that be funny.
OldDawg

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri May 24, 2013 10:36 pm

I kept running across "Cleveand might take Porter #1" stories today that are just plausible enough to scare the shit out of me. But it also seems like the Magic are all in on Mclemore. Maybe Grant is trying to trick the Wiz into trading up for Porter and still nabbing Noel #3! Diabolical!

My prediction is that the day before the draft we will start hearing rumors about McCollum (or some other fucking guy) that turns out to be true. Same way it happened with TT and Waiters.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri May 24, 2013 11:51 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Here's a question: if Cody Zeller falls to the 10-15 range do you try and trade up for him to get a stretch four to rotate with TT and Noel?

I have seen some mocks where Olynyk would be available at 19. Do you take him at 19? He could play some C and PF. High motor. Solid offensive game.

What perimeter D / shooter guys would we be considering at 19 if we are drafting according to eye's stated needs for the Cavs. It seems there are a ton of bigs rated in the back end of the draft and a bunch of Euros as well.
OldDawg

Unread postby JJN » Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 am

OldDawg wrote:

I have seen some mocks where Olynyk would be available at 19. Do you take him at 19? He could play some C and PF. High motor. Solid offensive game.

What perimeter D / shooter guys would we be considering at 19 if we are drafting according to eye's stated needs for the Cavs. It seems there are a ton of bigs rated in the back end of the draft and a bunch of Euros as well.

Olynyk has Trex arms. I would rather role the dice with Muscala (apparently shot the lights out in the workout, only missing 2 shots yesterday) than trading up much for Zeller 2 or Olynyk. That said, you have to at least consider Zeller, who could be a great scoring big man.

At 19, you have to look at Saric, Karasev, Giannis, Glen Rice Jr, and probably Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. Saric can't shoot, Karasev cant defend, Giannis is a completely unknown quantity at this point in time. I really like Rice, how already has a year of pro ball in the D league, and has all the physical tools. Without his character concerns, I wouldn't be surprised if he went in the lottery.

My darkhorse for this pick is CJ Leslie, SF/PF out of NC State. 6'9 and elite elite athleticism, including blowing away the agility testing. Can't shoot well at this stage, but is a good slasher, and if he can show the beginnings of a decent jumpshot, he could start rocketing up draft boards. Right now, we could probably snag him with a 2nd rounder. Same goes for Tony Snell, who was also good in the agility drills and was an ok shooter, but doesn't have the defensive numbers.
JJN

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat May 25, 2013 12:21 am

Reggie Bullock is another name.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JJN » Sat May 25, 2013 12:33 am

And I would like to point out that I really like Withey, and have since last year. He blocks a ton of shots, and he does it without fouling. Something you don't see in young big men. That said, he has a really low ceiling comparably. Noel did everything just a little bit better than Withey (fg%, reb, blocks, was way better on steals), despite being 4 years younger.

There are 3 bigs in this draft with anything approaching the upside the Noel has (Len, Gobert, and Adams). Adams is tremendously raw at this point in time, Gobert is nowhere near as athletic, and Len is big and (more) skilled, but soft and doesn't do anything elite like Noel has with defense.

e0y2e3 wrote:Reggie Bullock is another name.

Yup, forgot about him. 43% from deep.
JJN

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sat May 25, 2013 12:41 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Reggie Bullock is another name.

I disagree.

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat May 25, 2013 12:47 am

If it is on a birth certificate somewhere it is a name HooDoo. Just because you're a snob doesn't mean this isn't true.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sat May 25, 2013 1:12 am

Phrasal verb, at best.

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sat May 25, 2013 1:18 am

OldDawg wrote:But the point is that these guys were elite QBs despite not being drafted (highly). In that light, you can make a point that you don't need to draft Tom Brady with the first pick in the draft to get an elite QB. These two guys, two of the best QBs in the history of the league, were not found with the #1 pick in the draft. They weren't even found in the (first 5 rounds of the) draft. You certainly can draft one (Peyton Manning) at #1.

^Fixed, finally, only because after several hours I've given up hope that e0's head will explode in response.

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat May 25, 2013 1:41 am

<-- thought about making that exact point but decided if it hadn't been realized already it never would be.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Sat May 25, 2013 3:17 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:By all accounts Mosley (who was kept from Scott's staff best I can tell) and Z have worked their assess off to save TT. Frankly I've never seen a player come as far as quickly as he is. If there is one thing this staff has in place, it's a track record of developing raw bigs (and TT made Noel look refined). Now to be fair TT has worked his ass off to learn from them and is extremely coachable. But again, we are talking about a player who would break to the hoop on a P&R cleanly and couldn't even manage to catch the ball cleanly and dunk it. I'll give the Cavs big development duo some immense respect when it comes to their skills. I almost fell out of my chair last year when TT started resetting in the post and dropping that fugly floater of his seemingly at will.

TT's defense still pretty much blows but playing with Zeller and Kyrie makes it impossible to know how much of that he owns.

I don't see how Otto drops past Washington since they so desperately need a three and believe they are a playoff team next year. If he does it's game on for a trade-up.

What do you think that price would be to go from 19 to 4 or 5?
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby JJN » Sat May 25, 2013 4:43 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:What do you think that price would be to go from 19 to 4 or 5?

19+future first or taking on a really bad contract. Maybe a combination there of.
JJN

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat May 25, 2013 5:09 pm

Yeah, all three being the most likely. Getting inside the top ten won't be easy.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA