Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby pup » Tue May 21, 2013 11:05 pm

So where is the overthink angle? Want to push to make playoffs and too impatient to wait on Noel?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:02 am

jerryroche wrote:If Noel's the pick, what does that do to Andy? Bench? Trade?


Guy regularly only plays 40-60% of the schedule. I'm not passing on a piece because of AV, personally. And he's a trade able guy if you can get him healthy for two weeks somewhere. Although, honestly, Noel needs to gain 30lbs before he's suited to take the punishment himself.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22632
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:19 am

motherscratcher wrote:So, is it Noel?

It doesn't seem like NBA trades happen much at the top of the draft. Is that even a possibility?


Lets make history, Call up the worst head of basketball operations in the nba and see if he wants to trade us his #4overall 2013 and his 2014 1st round pick for our #1 :tfh:
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:06 pm
Location: KC,MO
Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:21 am

Will Noel be hurt long enough for us to suck for one final year leading up to a loaded draft? Sign me up, all hands on deck for 2014.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
User avatar
Kingpin74
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:11 pm
Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby jerryroche » Wed May 22, 2013 12:44 am

Kingpin74 wrote:Will Noel be hurt long enough for us to suck for one final year leading up to a loaded draft? Sign me up, all hands on deck for 2014.

If the Cavs suck sewer water another year, what to think of Chris Grant? Hell, the Cavs will have had pretty much the pick of three straight drafts, and if they don't start to make a move in 2013-14, Gilbert's got to make some wholesale changes, doesn't he?

I've not agreed much with the choices of TT and Waiters, but time has proven that Grant's drafting record is not all that bad. I'm neither fur or agin; I just want to see the Cavs contend, and if they can't very soon -- shit, I just don't know...
jerryroche
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:54 pm
Location: Strongsville, Ohio
Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:51 am

I agree with you, but I think one last bite at the apple in a loaded 2014 draft leading into a wide open 2014 free agent market with cap space galore can set us up for some real long term success.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
User avatar
Kingpin74
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:11 pm
Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed May 22, 2013 6:32 am

Last year, about this time, weren't we all talking about how shitty the 2012 draft was and how much better it was going to be in 2013?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7731
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 22, 2013 8:17 am

I think Kyrie will be fine with just a couple more losing seasons til they can build a dynasty through the draft.

He's different ya know. He's one of us.

:hide:

You better win and you better win fast. And even then he's leaving when he can.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22632
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby jb » Wed May 22, 2013 8:17 am

pup wrote:So where is the overthink angle? Want to push to make playoffs and too impatient to wait on Noel?



This is my biggest fear: that Grant & TMLP get impatient and screw this up.

Noel, Noel, Noel, Noooo ELLL, born is the king of around the rim defense and rebounding.

While it blows this didn't happen last season for Davis, Noel has the strong potential of solving a bleeding wound and that is around the rim defense and interior dump ff from driving Kyrie and Waiters gimme dunks as soon as he is healthy. Longer term? WTF knows. These guys are sooooo young and take a while to develop. I'm talking 3, 4 seasons.

Now is NOT the time to overthink this one altho this bunch makes me bervous.

Smart money is to take the f'n gift and draft Noel. Take AV and see if you can't get a number one from a bubble or low playoff team that needs his role. Then you parlay that 20 something pick and the 19 and try like hell to move up and take the best perimeter defender who can knock down an outside shot possible.

Then you might have enough juice to attract one or two good vets wven if you have to overpay them to come here so they have some veteran talent and some stability while not capping yourself out just in case Bron ges the warm fuzzies and get delusional enuff to come home. You can't shut the door on that remote possibility unless you knwo for a fact it ain't happenenin' and I doubt anyone except Bron and Windhorst (heh) know for sure.

Whst you do not do is say F it and tarde it for Kung Fu Panda or some other hair brained short cut to get into 7th seed hell.

So someone please tell me that this is a scenario not even Grant can screw up.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:04 am

jb wrote:perimeter defender who can knock down an outside shot


I find it pretty hard to believe these types of guys aren't easy to find.

Apparently, I am mistaken.
User avatar
googleeph2
 
Posts: 1710
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:40 am
Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Wed May 22, 2013 9:15 am

Noel with the first.

Then can we trade our 19th and other assets to move up enough to take Porter? Would this year's 19 and a future lottery protected first do it? If not, what if we also threw in Andy or Zeller? If that's not enough how about we add in Rick Manning and Super Host?

I'm no expert but I like the potential that this starting line-up has:

Kyrie
Dion
Porter
TT/Andy
Noel
____________________________________________________________________________

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago
 
Posts: 641
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:22 pm
Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:26 am

I'm intrigued with Glenn Rice Jr at 19, Ford has us taking Gobert.
User avatar
Nicastro13
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:51 pm
Location: Farrell, PA
Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Joe Pittsburgh Fan

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:49 am

YahooFanChicago wrote:Noel with the first.

Then can we trade our 19th and other assets to move up enough to take Porter? Would this year's 19 and a future lottery protected first do it? If not, what if we also threw in Andy or Zeller? If that's not enough how about we add in Rick Manning and Super Host?

I'm no expert but I like the potential that this starting line-up has:

Kyrie
Dion
Porter
TT/Andy
Noel


I'm not an NBA expert by any means, but why would two non-lottery picks (19 this year and a future protected) net us a top-3 overall pick?

I'm just glad we got #1 overall. No way is Aaron Craft making it to #19, so at least now we have a shot at him.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
User avatar
gotribe31
 
Posts: 2490
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:38 pm
Location: Fairfax, VA
Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed May 22, 2013 9:54 am

YahooFanChicago wrote:Noel with the first.

Then can we trade our 19th and other assets to move up enough to take Porter? Would this year's 19 and a future lottery protected first do it? If not, what if we also threw in Andy or Zeller? If that's not enough how about we add in Rick Manning and Super Host?

I'm no expert but I like the potential that this starting line-up has:

Kyrie
Dion
Porter
TT/Andy
Noel

I would consider trading some combination of picks and a players/assets to get Porter. Picks #19, our 2-2nd rounders and next year's #1 would be on the table to some degree to consider getting Porter and Noel. I like.

I have really locked in on Porter all through this thread. Maybe too much so. I think we have to take Noel, but I wish I was convinced that Noel was more of a sure thing, more dominant, had a better offensive game. I know there is no MJ or Durant in this draft, but I am haunted by 2 centers being drafted ahead of MJ, and by Oden being drafted ahead of Durant, both because people said they needed dominant posts. I am afraid that Porter might end up being the best player in this draft and that will haunt us later. Didn't Boheim say Porter was the best SF in the history of the Big East? And Boheim has seen most of that history firsthand and also coached an SF by the name of Carmelo Anthony.

These are good problems to have. I hope Grant gets things right!

I was locked in on Porter (SF) with #3 pick and post help at 19, but now that gets flipped around: Noel at #1 and SF help at 19.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
User avatar
OldDawg
 
Posts: 3873
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:05 pm
Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby rk » Wed May 22, 2013 9:58 am

peeker643 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:How does Noel stack up compared to Anthony Davis?


Maybe I'm missing something, but Davis was a hell of a lot better a college offensive player than Noel. Way more game, way more creativity and way more handle for a big guy. Noel is a garbage guy/back end of lobs guy who's a tremendous mistake eraser on defense and who could develop a back to the basket game offensively.

BUT.... probably can't minimize how impactful a defensive presence on this shitty defensive team that's about to get a defensive lesson would be.


I know Davis got lots of comps to Howard. Is Bosh a good upside comp for Noel? Maybe with fewer tears?
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
User avatar
rk
 
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:06 pm
Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:19 am

peeker643 wrote:I think Kyrie will be fine with just a couple more losing seasons til they can build a dynasty through the draft.

He's different ya know. He's one of us.

:hide:

You better win and you better win fast. And even then he's leaving when he can.


The thing is though, very few stars leave right after their rookie deals. It comes down to turning down an $80MM+ extension to play a one year contract at $8MM or so to become unrestricted then going where you want. I can't think of a player who's done that recently, let alone one like him who's made out of papier mache. Now his next contract is a different story.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
User avatar
Kingpin74
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:11 pm
Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:30 am

Also, I'm biased, but if we keep either second round pick, Tim Hardaway Jr. will be a quality rotation player in the NBA.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
User avatar
Kingpin74
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:11 pm
Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby jb » Wed May 22, 2013 10:38 am

gotribe31 wrote: No way is Aaron Craft making it to #19, so at least now we have a shot at him.


We can compete for any UDFAs we want.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:59 am

rk wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:How does Noel stack up compared to Anthony Davis?


Maybe I'm missing something, but Davis was a hell of a lot better a college offensive player than Noel. Way more game, way more creativity and way more handle for a big guy. Noel is a garbage guy/back end of lobs guy who's a tremendous mistake eraser on defense and who could develop a back to the basket game offensively.

BUT.... probably can't minimize how impactful a defensive presence on this shitty defensive team that's about to get a defensive lesson would be.


I know Davis got lots of comps to Howard. Is Bosh a good upside comp for Noel? Maybe with fewer tears?


Not nearly the shooter that Bosh is. Awful free throw shooter too. He's an explosive guy around the rim but doesn't have much touch. He's a project offensively, pure ad simple.

But he has potential there and he's dominant defensively in defending the rim and may be even better when it comes to playing passing lanes. Dude's quick.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22632
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed May 22, 2013 11:09 am

Kingpin74 wrote:Also, I'm biased, but if we keep either second round pick, Tim Hardaway Jr. will be a quality rotation player in the NBA.


Yet another intriguing possibility for an alternate basketball league. The My Dad Was Good At This Association.

Marcus Jordan & Hardaway Jr, with Glenn Robinson's son, Stockton's son, Del Curry's other son, and I'm sure many others I'm forgetting and many more to come. Maybe this is where Austin Rivers lands in a few years. Maybe this is where Britney Griner's son lands in a few decades.

Investors?
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:50 am

Ironically, after the Magic won the No. 2 pick with a 9-2-3-1 combination, the Cavs also won the No. 3 pick with a 9-8-14-2 combination. The rules prohibit a team from winning two spots in the lottery, so the balls went back in the hopper and Washington won the pick with the 9-13-6-12 combination, jumping from No. 8 to No. 3.


Kid's luckier than we thought.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22632
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby jb » Wed May 22, 2013 11:57 am

HoodooMan wrote:
Kingpin74 wrote:Also, I'm biased, but if we keep either second round pick, Tim Hardaway Jr. will be a quality rotation player in the NBA.


Yet another intriguing possibility for an alternate basketball league. The My Dad Was Good At This Association.

Marcus Jordan & Hardaway Jr, with Glenn Robinson's son, Stockton's son, Del Curry's other son, and I'm sure many others I'm forgetting and many more to come. Maybe this is where Austin Rivers lands in a few years. Maybe this is where Britney Griner's son lands in a few decades.

Investors?



Randy Lerner seems a natural as an owner in the same vein.

Don't forget Danny Ferry as a FO exec.

BTW - Britney and the future Ms Griner should do in ventro and have like LeBron be their donor. That'd be so epic.
Last edited by jb on Wed May 22, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby jb » Wed May 22, 2013 11:58 am

peeker643 wrote:
rk wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:How does Noel stack up compared to Anthony Davis?


Maybe I'm missing something, but Davis was a hell of a lot better a college offensive player than Noel. Way more game, way more creativity and way more handle for a big guy. Noel is a garbage guy/back end of lobs guy who's a tremendous mistake eraser on defense and who could develop a back to the basket game offensively.

BUT.... probably can't minimize how impactful a defensive presence on this shitty defensive team that's about to get a defensive lesson would be.


I know Davis got lots of comps to Howard. Is Bosh a good upside comp for Noel? Maybe with fewer tears?


Not nearly the shooter that Bosh is. Awful free throw shooter too. He's an explosive guy around the rim but doesn't have much touch. He's a project offensively, pure ad simple.

But he has potential there and he's dominant defensively in defending the rim and may be even better when it comes to playing passing lanes. Dude's quick.



My main concern is that Noel grows into his body frame.

I could be whack and miss big here, but would a Zo Mourning be too retro a projection if kid fills out?

On O, with the way the game is now, and with our back court, kid should be able to put up 16 a night sooner rather than later on dish dunks with very little offensive skills.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:07 pm

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
rk wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:How does Noel stack up compared to Anthony Davis?


Maybe I'm missing something, but Davis was a hell of a lot better a college offensive player than Noel. Way more game, way more creativity and way more handle for a big guy. Noel is a garbage guy/back end of lobs guy who's a tremendous mistake eraser on defense and who could develop a back to the basket game offensively.

BUT.... probably can't minimize how impactful a defensive presence on this shitty defensive team that's about to get a defensive lesson would be.


I know Davis got lots of comps to Howard. Is Bosh a good upside comp for Noel? Maybe with fewer tears?


Not nearly the shooter that Bosh is. Awful free throw shooter too. He's an explosive guy around the rim but doesn't have much touch. He's a project offensively, pure ad simple.

But he has potential there and he's dominant defensively in defending the rim and may be even better when it comes to playing passing lanes. Dude's quick.



My main concern is that Noel grows into his body frame.

Exactly- When Baron Davis outweighs your tarting C both you and Baron's team should be concerned.

I could be whack and miss big here, but would a Zo Mourning be too retro a projection if kid fills out?

Probably the highest side. But if he's Motumbo are you okay with that?

On O, with the way the game is now, and with our back court, kid should be able to put up 16 a night sooner rather than later on dish dunks with very little offensive skills.

Yep- For four more years anyway. Then we'll have to see who's at PG when Kyrie is in NYC.

"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22632
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed May 22, 2013 12:47 pm

jb wrote:BTW - Britney and the future Ms Griner should do in ventro and have like LeBron be their donor. That'd be so epic.


I'd use the #1 pick on this hypothetical test tube.
User avatar
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!
 
Posts: 1927
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 12:39 pm
Location: Brooklyn
Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed May 22, 2013 12:48 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:I think Kyrie will be fine with just a couple more losing seasons til they can build a dynasty through the draft.

He's different ya know. He's one of us.

:hide:

You better win and you better win fast. And even then he's leaving when he can.


The thing is though, very few stars leave right after their rookie deals. It comes down to turning down an $80MM+ extension to play a one year contract at $8MM or so to become unrestricted then going where you want. I can't think of a player who's done that recently, let alone one like him who's made out of papier mache. Now his next contract is a different story.

Eric Gordon is papier mache and tried to do that recently. You don't need to turn down an $80MM extension, you just need to force a S&T or an offer match.
User avatar
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!
 
Posts: 1927
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 12:39 pm
Location: Brooklyn
Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby rk » Wed May 22, 2013 12:55 pm

Is Okafor the best comp? Defensive presence. 6'10 255. 2nd overall. But offensive game never translated.

I don't recall him being that good off the ball in college the way that Noel is described but defensively he had the same kind of impact. Of course he was a 3 year guy at UCONN so there was less projection.

I would be disappointed with Okafor.
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
User avatar
rk
 
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:06 pm
Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed May 22, 2013 12:59 pm

jb wrote:Randy Lerner seems a natural as an owner in the same vein.


Disqualified on the grounds that his dad was not Good At This.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Wed May 22, 2013 12:59 pm

Trade Varejao, take Noel, hold him out until Jan/Feb. and play for the lottery again. Hope you get a top 5 pick in a loaded draft class and the Cavs will be a legit team.
Fuck the Browns...
User avatar
rebelwithoutaclue
 
Posts: 3639
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:43 am
Location: Under them Skies of Blue
Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed May 22, 2013 1:04 pm

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Emeka-Okafor-3810/stats/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nerlens-Noel-6455/

Pretty close on wingspan, but Okafor with shoes was as tall as Nerlens without, whether this is with or without hair--?

(Stupid NBA measurements.)

Anyway, I remember really liking Okafor, but he already had a bad back when he came into the league. Typically a BBall killer, no?
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 22, 2013 1:11 pm

rk wrote:Is Okafor the best comp? Defensive presence. 6'10 255. 2nd overall. But offensive game never translated.

I don't recall him being that good off the ball in college the way that Noel is described but defensively he had the same kind of impact. Of course he was a 3 year guy at UCONN so there was less projection.

I would be disappointed with Okafor.


Now I'm scrambling to find more info ;-) ;) :wink:

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/nerlens-noel

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2013/story/ ... ttery-fate

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nerlens-Noel-6455/
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22632
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed May 22, 2013 1:16 pm

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:I could be whack and miss big here, but would a Zo Mourning be too retro a projection if kid fills out?


Probably the highest side. But if he's Motumbo are you okay with that?


Stats on Zo and Mutombo
Zo Mourning (Fresh): 13.1ppg, 7.3rpg, 60%FG, 67%FT, 5.0 Blocks per game
Mutombo (fresh): 3.9ppg, 3.3rpg, 71%fg, 48%Ft, 2.3 blocks
Mutombo (soph): 10.7ppg, 10.5rpg, 71%fg, 60%ft, 4.1 blocks
Noel: 10.5ppg, 9.5rpg, 59%fg, 53%ft, 4.4 blocks
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
User avatar
OldDawg
 
Posts: 3873
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:05 pm
Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed May 22, 2013 1:19 pm

I don't think there's a very good comp for him, really. He seems more athletic than most of the top big men prospects over the years, but with less offensive game.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Wed May 22, 2013 1:22 pm

young KG?
User avatar
JacksonDysonJackson
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:32 pm
Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed May 22, 2013 1:23 pm

No.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed May 22, 2013 1:29 pm

Was it here that someone suggested Tyson Chandler as a Noel comp?

Maybe appropriate for a downside comp, at least.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed May 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Maybe to Tyson Chandler...
Serge Ibaka? Roy Hibbert? DeAndre Jordan? These guys block a few shots.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
User avatar
OldDawg
 
Posts: 3873
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:05 pm
Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed May 22, 2013 2:00 pm

Larry Sanders.
User avatar
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!
 
Posts: 1927
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 12:39 pm
Location: Brooklyn
Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed May 22, 2013 2:06 pm

Noel and Sergey Karasev (19 yr old 6'7" Russian SF) at pick 19

I was all set for Porter and Withey before the ping pong balls. Withey a solid post defender with limited offense. Noel is too, but Withey is bruiser, whereas Noel is quick/athletic.

What do you think? Noel + Karasev > Porter + Withey??
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
User avatar
OldDawg
 
Posts: 3873
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:05 pm
Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed May 22, 2013 2:18 pm

HoodooMan wrote:Was it here that someone suggested Tyson Chandler as a Noel comp?

Maybe appropriate for a downside comp, at least.

Kwame Brown and Michael Olowokandi were centers picked at #1 in the draft!
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
User avatar
OldDawg
 
Posts: 3873
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:05 pm
Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed May 22, 2013 2:18 pm

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20375&start=100

OldDawg wrote:I am with most of you. This draft is Irving or bust. However, just to think out loud...

If we pick Irving at #1, it sounds like the #4 pick is more of a mystery as far as finding a "sure thing" NBA player. If that is the case, would you ledge if the Cavs picked Williams with the #1 and then picked Brandon Knight at 4? As a tandem, is that pair a more sure of a bet for the league than Irving and whomever you pair him with? Just thinking out loud. Not sure I could turn down Irving, though.


Is there a thread from 2003 with you wondering if Darko + some SF > LBJ + some PF?
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed May 22, 2013 2:33 pm

HoodooMan wrote:http://www.theclevelandfan.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20375&start=100

OldDawg wrote:I am with most of you. This draft is Irving or bust. However, just to think out loud...

If we pick Irving at #1, it sounds like the #4 pick is more of a mystery as far as finding a "sure thing" NBA player. If that is the case, would you ledge if the Cavs picked Williams with the #1 and then picked Brandon Knight at 4? As a tandem, is that pair a more sure of a bet for the league than Irving and whomever you pair him with? Just thinking out loud. Not sure I could turn down Irving, though.


Is there a thread from 2003 with you wondering if Darko + some SF > LBJ + some PF?

HAHAHA!! Great find, Hoodoo!! Hilarious! You have a freaking great memory, and too much time on your hands!!!
I will say, Irving was a clear consensus #1 pick (and I did indicate that in that thread two years ago). I was exploring "options," like I am now.
This year, Noel is the consensus #1, but I don't think he is considered as sure a thing as Irving was at the time. I think Noel is our pick, but, as I stated earlier, I am not as sold on him as I was on Kyrie.
Heck, according to Windy, the Grant may trade the pick.
http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2013/story/ ... -nba-draft

It sure would be great, though, if Kyrie could stay healthy.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
User avatar
OldDawg
 
Posts: 3873
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:05 pm
Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 22, 2013 2:49 pm

How does a guy 7'0 tall and 207lbs NOT get pushed all over the floor in the NBA? Most 2s, and all 3s and 4s are bigger than he is.

It is somewhat concerning to me. For God's sake, Durant is 240lbs and he's a string that ain't playing 5.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22632
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed May 22, 2013 3:09 pm

This guy thinks we're taking McLemore with the #1 pick. Huh?
http://www.nbadraft.net/2013mock_draft
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
User avatar
OldDawg
 
Posts: 3873
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:05 pm
Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby rk » Wed May 22, 2013 3:16 pm

peeker643 wrote:How does a guy 7'0 tall and 207lbs NOT get pushed all over the floor in the NBA? Most 2s, and all 3s and 4s are bigger than he is.

It is somewhat concerning to me. For God's sake, Durant is 240lbs and he's a string that ain't playing 5.


Durant was 6'10 215 out of college. He's put on 25lbs if he's up to 240.

The thought is he'd play mobile rather than with his back to the basket. Per the draft express scouting report he is a finisher and a defender. He's not somebody who's going to be knocking around with other bigs inside.

Basically he is a better defender than Durant but has no outside or inside game other than finishing. Maybe a Darius Miles comparison on the offensive side works? He has tremendous hops, is very quick, and seems to be able to use both hands on the dribble. He just doesn't know how to score inside other than dunking and doesn't have an outside shot at all.
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
User avatar
rk
 
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:06 pm
Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Wed May 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Cant help but bring up comps to Deandre Jordan, no?
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
User avatar
Gradysmanldy
 
Posts: 1530
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:58 pm
Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Wed May 22, 2013 4:15 pm

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... ttery-room

Rizzo was there as a cheerleader and was the one yelling. I think Baskin went on the private jet too. Can't imagine why the mainstream media continues to fawn over complete losers in this city.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
User avatar
Kingpin74
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:11 pm
Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby rk » Wed May 22, 2013 5:23 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/62907/why-that-cavaliers-crew-was-so-crazy-and-more-observations-from-inside-the-nba-draft-lottery-room

Rizzo was there as a cheerleader and was the one yelling. I think Baskin went on the private jet too. Can't imagine why the mainstream media continues to fawn over complete losers in this city.


Mike Snyder, Rizzo, and Baskin all went. Rizzo and Snyder were chatting about it on 850/1100 at about the same time on my drive home last night.

I think it's hilarious that the guy asked a sports talk radio host if he was supposed to be a 'journalist'. On what planet is a local sports talk show host supposed to be an impartial journalist?

Who cares? Gilbert's son loves this and it's obvious that he's made this into something his son can really enjoy. These aren't the guys in charge of basketball for the Cavs.
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
User avatar
rk
 
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:06 pm
Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby JJN » Wed May 22, 2013 5:32 pm

The kid has been injured, which has negatively effected his weight. He player at around 215-220lbs all year. He weighed in at 216lbs at the Nike Hoop Summit just a year ago, and has probably grown some since then. Probably one of the better comps for him right now is a more athletic Marcus Camby.

As far as offensively, I think there is a decent chance that he has an ok shot once he comes back. All he can really do for a lot of his rehab time is work on his shot. I don't think he will be Ryan Anderson, but he should be better than he was.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 87938.html

Additionally, he doesn't have great touch around the rim, but when you see some of the plays he made this last year, he appears to have uncannily good body control for a young big.
JJN
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:25 pm
Location: Erie, PA
Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

Re: The Cavs pick(s) in the first round

Unread postby JJN » Wed May 22, 2013 6:00 pm

Also, I don't think that Grant really has to worry about his job at this point in time. He has only had two years worth of picks so far, and if Nerlens is out for most of this year, then he still hasn't had a long stretch. I also think that Gilbert understands that picking Nerlens is a winner in the long term, but it might be a short term loss.
Is this a big step forward in the rebuilding phase?

Dan Gilbert: We were hoping, regardless of what pick we got, that this would be our last lottery. We thought originally after everything had to be reset that it would be a three-year process. You never know. It could be two or it could be four, but we thought three years. With the No. 1 pick this year, and we also have No. 19, we think this will be the last lottery for a while here.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2U3rDsgAr
http://www.draftexpress.com
JJN
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:25 pm
Location: Erie, PA
Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ybot and 2 guests

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: ybot and 2 guests