Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Mad Men

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: Mad Men

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue May 14, 2013 9:10 am

FUDU wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:The show would be a lot more interesting if they significantly reduced the role of PrimaDon Draper and His Magical Insecurities.

He, his life, is the focal character of the show, so exactly how would that makes sense?

Yes, he is the central character, but he's certainly not the only story line. And because every other character/story line on this show is more interesting than he is now, I think there's enough material to keep the show running smoothly if they whittle away some of scenes.

I'm not saying write him off the show, just less of him would be good, especially since his character arc has returned to zero. When it felt like he as a character was growing/evolving, it was easier to put up with his douchiness. Now that he's basically back to season one emotionally, he's just pathetic and - worse - boring. Is this guy's midlife crisis gonna last the entire freakin' decade? Grow up/get a hobby while you can, Don, you're about 5 years from being a joke as a skirt chaser.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Tue May 14, 2013 9:31 am

Hikohadon wrote: Don, you're about 5 years from being a joke as a skirt chaser.

I think our buddy Roger proves this to be false, or at least not inevitable.

But I agree wholeheartedly with the rest. Pete's personal life falling apart causing his over sensitivity to his work life falling apart, Peggy having to come back to the place she left, Ginsburg and Stan, anything Roger Sterling is doing. Hell even Teddy Chaough and Bob Benson [Why IS that guy on the show?] are more interesting at this point, than seeing Don have control issues with another woman.

And that fails to even mention other decent characters they have on the show that have been mostly invisible this year. Kenny Cosgrove, Sally. [Glad they dropped Betty, as she was getting boring as well, but Sally got a lot of time the past couple seasons, and I find it interesting they've gone basically nowhere with it.]

Lot of good alternatives out there to continuing on the Merry Go Round with Don.
Sea Foam Green

Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue May 14, 2013 10:13 am

Sea Foam Green wrote:
Hikohadon wrote: Don, you're about 5 years from being a joke as a skirt chaser.

I think our buddy Roger proves this to be false, or at least not inevitable.

But I agree wholeheartedly with the rest. Pete's personal life falling apart causing his over sensitivity to his work life falling apart, Peggy having to come back to the place she left, Ginsburg and Stan, anything Roger Sterling is doing. Hell even Teddy Chaough and Bob Benson [Why IS that guy on the show?] are more interesting at this point, than seeing Don have control issues with another woman.

And that fails to even mention other decent characters they have on the show that have been mostly invisible this year. Kenny Cosgrove, Sally. [Glad they dropped Betty, as she was getting boring as well, but Sally got a lot of time the past couple seasons, and I find it interesting they've gone basically nowhere with it.]

Lot of good alternatives out there to continuing on the Merry Go Round with Don.

Yes! Sally's evolution was maybe the most interesting on the show. You are correct that Betty was boring and the show is better for having dropped her, but there's no reason to drop Sally. And her relationship with Don and Megan made THAT story line much more interesting as well.

And the complete dropping of Betty (who was arguably the second most important character when the show started) demonstrates how the show could easily survive less Yawn Draper.
Hikohadon

Unread postby FUDU » Tue May 14, 2013 10:51 am

I think you guys are missing the big picture and how a lot of the other character's development are integrated and to Don in many cases.

Pete's personal life, and how he soooo wants to be what we saw Don as in season's 1-2.

Peggy has always wanted to be Don at the office, hell that's why she became so impatient and cold toward her creative team at Ted's agency.

...and don't count Betty out just yet. Her and Don meet in the right circumstances, it's on.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue May 14, 2013 1:07 pm

FUDU wrote:I think you guys are missing the big picture and how a lot of the other character's development are integrated and to Don in many cases.

Pete's personal life, and how he soooo wants to be what we saw Don as in season's 1-2.

Peggy has always wanted to be Don at the office, hell that's why she became so impatient and cold toward her creative team at Ted's agency.

...and don't count Betty out just yet. Her and Don meet in the right circumstances, it's on.

Great, we're back to multiplying zeroes.

Again, not advocating booting him off the show. Just... less.
Hikohadon

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 14, 2013 1:26 pm

I am TOTALLY on the opposite side of Hiko here. The more Draper the better. I could just watch that guy drink scotch for 60 minutes straight. Funnest bad guy to cheer for since Tony Soprano.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue May 14, 2013 1:52 pm

swerb wrote:I am TOTALLY on the opposite side of Hiko here. The more Draper the better. I could just watch that guy drink scotch for 60 minutes straight. Funnest bad guy to cheer for since Tony Soprano.

I would agree if I thought he was a "bad guy". As is, he's just kind of a pouty, self-involved childish everyman with insecurity issues, and kind of a bitch to boot. Tony Soprano would probably shoot you in the face if you told him you thought he was like Don Draper. ;-) ;) :wink:
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Tue May 14, 2013 4:37 pm

swerb wrote:I am TOTALLY on the opposite side of Hiko here.

Of course you are.

It was the single worst take ever seriously written by anyone whose name doesn't rhyme with "Smack Mist".

Mad Men = The Don Draper Story

For better or worse.

BTW - I am now convinced the series will end with DD's death.

Weiner is obsessed with doors this season. I'm wondering if the numbers represent some anagram if tanslated in sequence of apperanece or something crazy like that

. http://voices.yahoo.com/symbolism-doors-windows-modern-literature-374933.html

Weiner is also obsessed with mothers and how they shape the lives of the characters.

Great juxtaposition of Don as a dinosaur in his work methods compared to Ted BTW. "I'm fascinated by how you've reduced this to a process." Ted is the future. Group process, put in work, analytics are coming. Don is still all "let's drink and brrod and drink and brood and wait for a vision to com out my cornhole".

Intersting how Don's references to women are also out of date in the late 60's. Dorothy LeMure and Marilyn Monroe?

Don seems like a punch drunk fighter on his last legs in all phases of his life. Really teetering.

I feel sorry for Megan.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h

Unread postby FUDU » Wed May 15, 2013 9:07 am

jb wrote:

Of course you are.

It was the single worst take ever seriously written by anyone whose name doesn't rhyme with "Smack Mist".

For better or worse.

BTW - I am now convinced the series will end with DD's death.

Weiner is obsessed with doors this season. I'm wondering if the numbers represent some anagram if tanslated in sequence of apperanece or something crazy like that

. http://voices.yahoo.com/symbolism-doors-windows-modern-literature-374933.html

Weiner is also obsessed with mothers and how they shape the lives of the characters.

Great juxtaposition of Don as a dinosaur in his work methods compared to Ted BTW. "I'm fascinated by how you've reduced this to a process." Ted is the future. Group process, put in work, analytics are coming. Don is still all "let's drink and brrod and drink and brood and wait for a vision to com out my cornhole".

Intersting how Don's references to women are also out of date in the late 60's. Dorothy LeMure and Marilyn Monroe?

Don seems like a punch drunk fighter on his last legs in all phases of his life. Really teetering.

I feel sorry for Megan.

Since the start of this season I've been feeling the same way, however not sorry for Megan. IMO she is the worst regularly appearing character on the show.

Over the past few seasons we've all focused on the demise of other characters, while maybe all along it has been right in front of us.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see this all end with a Draper death maybe even suicide, but also not have that be the last episode.

FUDU

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed May 15, 2013 9:13 am

jb wrote:

Of course you are.

For better or worse.

I knew that would piss off the Mad Men Mafia.

Of course it is. The fact that Mad Men is the Don Draper Story is exactly what's kept me from being more than lukewarm on the show the whole time.

At least up until this season I felt he was undergoing a character arc, evolving/adapting. Now he's back to affairs that end with him begging girls that just dumped him. If you find that redundant mess of a dude interesting, cheers to you.

He just needs a mother character to walk up and give him a hug and say "Awwwwww, is poow Donny a towtured awtistic souw?"
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed May 15, 2013 9:14 am

FUDU wrote:It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see this all end with a Draper death maybe even suicide, but also not have that be the last episode.

Yeah, the last episode is where only Peggy shows up to his funeral.
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed May 15, 2013 10:00 am

I feel the way you feel about Draper about Walt in Breaking bad, so I can't hate on you. Walt is so far gone and so self-involved I can't root for him in any manner and frankly I don't care what happens to a single character on that show because they all are too shitty of people.

That said, I'm sure if there was a midget and a few boob scenes in Mad Men ala Game of 5,000 Characters You Don't Care About you'd be aroused just the same.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed May 15, 2013 10:19 am

e0y2e3 wrote:I feel the way you feel about Draper about Walt in Breaking bad, so I can't hate on you. Walt is so far gone and so self-involved I can't root for him in any manner and frankly I don't care what happens to a single character on that show because they all are too shitty of people.

That said, I'm sure if there was a midget and a few boob scenes in Mad Men ala Game of 5,000 Characters You Don't Care About you'd be aroused just the same.

Hey, I still watch Mad Men even without the boobs and midgets. Obviously, if it were a one-or-another situation, Mad Men would be dead, but the magic of DVR allows me to watch many programs that 15 years ago I would've just given up on.

I'd just appreciate a little less dwelling on Don dwelling on himself.

PS - It goes without saying that Mad Men would be better with boobs and midgets.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Wed May 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Hikohadon wrote: The fact that Mad Men is the Don Draper Story is exactly what's kept me from being more than lukewarm on the show the whole time.

And that makes perfect infallible sense. I'm not gonna jump up & down and yell that its the best show ever and everyone has to love. Potayto potahto.

But yah can't say they need to diminish DD and have THAT make sense.
jb

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed May 15, 2013 12:16 pm

jb wrote:
Hikohadon wrote: The fact that Mad Men is the Don Draper Story is exactly what's kept me from being more than lukewarm on the show the whole time.

And that makes perfect infallible sense. I'm not gonna jump up & down and yell that its the best show ever and everyone has to love. Potayto potahto.

If I had won the election to be God, it would make sense. DD is the central character now, sure, but the show is "Mad Men" not "Mad Man". Time for it to become the Roger Sterling Story.

Open on a blue sky. Tall buildings. A corner office. Empty. A man with silver hair pokes his head in, looking around quizzically. A voice says "He's out boozing and whoring again, Mr. Sterling." The man shrugs, shuts the door. Mad Men, Now With Less Draper.
Hikohadon

Unread postby FUDU » Wed May 15, 2013 1:28 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
jb wrote:

If I had won the election to be God, it would make sense. DD is the central character now, sure, but the show is "Mad Men" not "Mad Man". Time for it to become the Roger Sterling Story.

Open on a blue sky. Tall buildings. A corner office. Empty. A man with silver hair pokes his head in, looking around quizzically. A voice says "He's out boozing and whoring again, Mr. Sterling." The man shrugs, shuts the door. Mad Men, Now With Less Draper.

You forgot the part when Roger says "That SOB, why didn't he call me"

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Wed May 15, 2013 1:34 pm

Roger is just comic relief.

In an interview Hamm once said that the show is really through the eyes of Peggy. IDK if I agree but her seeming co-option into Madison Ave from being sort of a runner with the baetniks will be fascinating.

I give Abe only the rest of the season. max.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Wed May 15, 2013 1:41 pm

I can totally see that perspective of the show, being through Peggy's eyes. If there is one character besides Don that this show has focused on in comprehensive evolution it is Peggy.

FUDU

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed May 15, 2013 2:38 pm

FUDU wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
jb wrote:

You forgot the part when Roger says "That SOB, why didn't he call me"

Good call.

And JB, joking about making it the Roger Show. Peggy I can see, since she DID have an evolution of character, a big one from the beginning of the show. Don, pretty much the same guy. If he made any progress, he regressed since then.

Maybe the point is to contrast Peggy vs. Don (even as Peggy becomes more Don-like), but that can still be achieved with less Don.
Hikohadon

Unread postby swerb » Wed May 15, 2013 2:40 pm

Abe is dead meat.

And I like the show name change suggestion to "Mad Man".
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed May 15, 2013 3:06 pm

The strangest thing (and again, I am just now starting this season) to me is seeing that the Sally evolution everyone thought would become a crux of the show didn't happen.

I had avoided this thread but Hiko being Hiko drug me and and since I don't really care about spoilers re: what I consider art I read his shit here. I'm very disappointed to read that and it will be interesting to see how it impacts my reality going forward with the show.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Wed May 15, 2013 5:14 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:The strangest thing (and again, I am just now starting this season) to me is seeing that the Sally evolution everyone thought would become a crux of the show didn't happen.

Previews for next week showed lots of agency butthing about Weiner is he can turn on a dime. Could move to home lives any momemnt and tay there for episodes.

Agree that Weiner is getting Lynch-esque with DD, but he's still the show's central touch stone and protagonist.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Wed May 15, 2013 5:59 pm

Hiko, whether on Mad Men or IRL one can nevet have too much Don.

jb, Mad Men episode previews are the worst in history.

FUDU

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed May 15, 2013 7:08 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:The strangest thing (and again, I am just now starting this season) to me is seeing that the Sally evolution everyone thought would become a crux of the show didn't happen.

I had avoided this thread but Hiko being Hiko drug me and and since I don't really care about spoilers re: what I consider art I read his shit here. I'm very disappointed to read that and it will be interesting to see how it impacts my reality going forward with the show.

If it makes any difference, I thought last season was one of the best ones and Don didn't bother me at all.

Let's hope his whole regression thing is over with since (SPOILER, stop reading) he got dumped.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Fri May 17, 2013 3:47 pm

Hikohadon wrote:

If it makes any difference, I thought last season was one of the best ones and Don didn't bother me at all.

Let's hope his whole regression thing is over with since (SPOILER, stop reading) he got dumped.

I think it will accelerate his fall. He'll get more and more into himself. He's completely detaching and Ted trumped him in round 2 at the last thing he's got going for him. You can see he's a dinosaur. He's a Holywood video store and Ted is Redbox.
jb

Unread postby jerryroche » Sat May 18, 2013 6:55 am

jb wrote:I think it will accelerate his fall. He'll get more and more into himself. He's completely detaching and Ted trumped him in round 2 at the last thing he's got going for him. You can see he's a dinosaur. He's a Holywood video store and Ted is Redbox.

Don is a 20-car pileup waiting to happen. The only things the guy has in life are his uncanny way of knowing what kind of ads will work and what won't, and his good looks. He's really not a very likable person, a real anti-hero in the classical sense. I get the feeling that there are as many viewers rooting for a crash-and-burn as there are wanting to see him eventually find peace with himself and the people around him.

When the brakes start to squeal and screech, I'm one of the rubberneckers.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby FUDU » Sat May 18, 2013 11:02 am

jb wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

I think it will accelerate his fall. He'll get more and more into himself. He's completely detaching and Ted trumped him in round 2 at the last thing he's got going for him. You can see he's a dinosaur. He's a Holywood video store and Ted is Redbox.

I was gonna go with he's a 70's porn film at the start of the VHS era, but point taken.

FUDU

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:12 am

Tonight was one of the most bizarre TV episodes I've ever seen.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby jb » Mon May 20, 2013 11:41 am

Kingpin74 wrote:Tonight was one of the most bizarre TV episodes I've ever seen.

I spent most of the hour palpably uncomfortable and at the end just asked myself WTF?

Gotta say that Weiner is mporphing into Lynch, almost abusing the watchers going down rabbit hole after rabbit hole. Very different writing and directing this year.

IDK if this whole thing shook Don back to reality or not. We'll see.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:43 pm

I'm only two eps in now, but I can tell you my ex/girl/whatever person laid it down last night that she's done with the show. Weiner forced her away. Not the first to have told me that either.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pup » Mon May 20, 2013 1:55 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I'm only two eps in now, but I can tell you my ex/girl/whatever person laid it down last night that she's done with the show. Weiner forced her away. Not the first to have told me that either.

Is that ex/whatever girl
Or ex girl/whatever?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby HoodooMan » Mon May 20, 2013 4:27 pm

e-The-Show-0 wrote:I'm only two eps in now, but I can tell you my ex/girl/whatever person laid it down last night that she's done with "the show." (My) Weiner forced her away. Not the first to have told me that either.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby FUDU » Mon May 20, 2013 8:12 pm

jb wrote:

I spent most of the hour palpably uncomfortable and at the end just asked myself WTF?

Gotta say that Weiner is mporphing into Lynch, almost abusing the watchers going down rabbit hole after rabbit hole. Very different writing and directing this year.

I liked this episode, albeit a bit odd, reminded me of that season 2 or 3 episode when he goes to Cali and spends time with that tiny little half hippy chic.

Anyway, I think last night's show made it clear that Don has been searching for a way to look at his life through an ad. He's looking for an easy one liner explanation of his life and how he his and but also what he wants to be. I think it is easy to forget he is playing the role of life with another man's name, and I think this season it is hitting him on that issue a little.

I also think the episode really brought back the possibility of a Don Peggy relationship in some way shape or form. I think Don suddenly sees some of Peggy's approach at work as the nurturing type, and he has always known she is good at the creative side of the job. Still don't see them getting together but could see them separating from the pack at being alpha dogs in the biz or even breaking away from this agency (next season). Peggy seems to be the only one who gets respect from everyone at the agency.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Tue May 21, 2013 10:41 am

e0y2e3 wrote:I'm only two eps in now, but I can tell you my ex/girl/whatever person laid it down last night that she's done with the show. Weiner forced her away. Not the first to have told me that either.

I'm getting there. I'll commit to ride out this season, but I'm not wowed.

Plot and character development creating a slow pace is one thing.

Self-indulgence and meandering to fill time is something else.
jb

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Tue May 21, 2013 11:20 am

Same boat. I'll ride out the season, see where it goes, but as of now, not that intrigued.

Though, thanks to you, I'm know paying attention to all the doors [lotta doors in this one], and trying to figure that out. So I've got that going for me.

Which is nice.
Sea Foam Green

Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue May 21, 2013 11:41 am

Does anyone know what was in the proprietary gluteal elixer?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue May 21, 2013 1:30 pm

FUDU wrote:
jb wrote:

I liked this episode, albeit a bit odd, reminded me of that season 2 or 3 episode when he goes to Cali and spends time with that tiny little half hippy chic.

Anyway, I think last night's show made it clear that Don has been searching for a way to look at his life through an ad. He's looking for an easy one liner explanation of his life and how he his and but also what he wants to be. I think it is easy to forget he is playing the role of life with another man's name, and I think this season it is hitting him on that issue a little.

I also think the episode really brought back the possibility of a Don Peggy relationship in some way shape or form. I think Don suddenly sees some of Peggy's approach at work as the nurturing type, and he has always known she is good at the creative side of the job. Still don't see them getting together but could see them separating from the pack at being alpha dogs in the biz or even breaking away from this agency (next season). Peggy seems to be the only one who gets respect from everyone at the agency.

Ew, I hope they don't go the Don-Peggy route. Just... no.

And stop psychoanalyzing that dud. He's a Douche With Issues. I've known plenty, and I could care less why they are the Douche that they are. ;-) ;) :wink:

Like the drug episodes, they're always entertaining.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Wed May 22, 2013 8:20 am

Sea Foam Green wrote:Same boat. I'll ride out the season, see where it goes, but as of now, not that intrigued.

Though, thanks to you, I'm know paying attention to all the doors [lotta doors in this one], and trying to figure that out. So I've got that going for me.

Which is nice.

Ray Manzarek dies Sunday.

Coincidence? I think not.
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed May 22, 2013 8:21 am

pup wrote:

Is that ex/whatever girl
Or ex girl/whatever?

Thinking he means that he picked up a tranny in a bar and kept it going fo a few weeks out of experimentation.
jb

Unread postby jb » Tue May 28, 2013 10:09 am

man I needed that episode to stay interested.

Don, Betty. BAM!
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Tue May 28, 2013 10:47 am

I think a few scenes from Sunday have been written on the wall for some time, Weiner just took his sweet old time showing them to us.

FUDU

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue May 28, 2013 11:17 am

jb wrote:man I needed that episode to stay interested.

Don, Betty. BAM!

Yep, that was the best one so far. The only time I wanted to stuff an aardvark down Don's throat was when he told Betty "I miss you".

No you fucking don't. She looked hot and you know you're guaranteed a no-strings-attached bang with a woman with whom you know which buttons to push. Period.
Hikohadon

Unread postby FUDU » Tue May 28, 2013 11:43 am

Betty knows Don, Betty knows Don better than any other women Don has been with, and Don knows this. Which is why that line she fed Don hits home with him so much.

Sex, as it turns out for Don, is overrated in the big picture. That should play out before the series finishes.

FUDU

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue May 28, 2013 2:24 pm

FUDU wrote:Betty knows Don, Betty knows Don better than any other women Don has been with, and Don knows this. Which is why that line she fed Don hits home with him so much.

Sex, as it turns out for Don, is overrated in the big picture. That should play out before the series finishes.

I think you give her too much credit. There are plenty of women on that show that know Don better than Betty ever did, like the real Mrs. Draper, like Peggy, and like every woman that's ever dumped him once they realized how miserable he was.

Betty had just lost weight and was looking good (as evidenced by her getting hit on at the beginning) and enjoyed being Don's other woman for once. It probably also felt good that he wasn't being faithful to his new wife either.

I DO think she finally came to know Don in this episode, realized how pitiful he is and that she's best clear of him, and felt great about finally being over the guy (and no longer worth "hating"). That shit eating grin she had at the end... I know the look of the petty triumphs of the petty ex-wife all too well.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Wed May 29, 2013 9:48 am

So fascinating how the men in Peggy's lives drag her down.

So, any conspiracy theories for who Bob is? I'm thinking he's like a Rolling Stone writer Cam Crowe style. That or law enforcement undercover as a result of a prostitution rumor.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Wed May 29, 2013 9:51 am

Bob, the dude hanging out with Joan?

My theory is he is just a loser.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Wed May 29, 2013 10:28 am

FUDU wrote:Bob, the dude hanging out with Joan?

No character is on that long for no reason. I think he's a mole. If not, he's still going to blow up and do something.
jb

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed May 29, 2013 10:34 am

jb wrote:
FUDU wrote:Bob, the dude hanging out with Joan?

No character is on that long for no reason. I think he's a mole. If not, he's still going to blow up and do something.

Yep. In another series, he's a serial killer. In this one, he's undercover from the IRS there to report on violations of advertising dress code.

They're giving him enough screen time and going out of their way to make him such a "good guy" that he'll have some big role in the season finale. Maybe Roger kills him.
Hikohadon

Unread postby FUDU » Wed May 29, 2013 11:02 am

If he doesn't close with Joan in the next two weeks he'll be gay in my book.

Seriously, his role could simply end up being to be the ghost of Roger's past in terms of parenting his kid with Joan whom he takes zero interest in.

...and who knows maybe Roger kills him, not a bad call Hiko.

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:57 pm

What is going to be the ultimate fate for Pete when this show ends?

I wouldn't rule out suicide, seeing as he never gets his way and is seems less and less content with life as the shows progresses, but they've already done that with Lane so that is a long shot IMO.

Ted's right hand man seems hell bent on firing a Sterling Cooper guy, Roger has never liked Pete, Don tires of Pete quickly, does he get booted? Does he return fire in a dramatic way?

FUDU

PreviousNext

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture