Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Scott Kazmir Article

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Scott Kazmir Article

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:17 pm

The guys at DrivelineBaseball were kind enough to forward this to me on Kazmir.

http://dynamicsportstraining.com/blog/l ... ott-kazmir

Date of post is mid February chronicling work Kazmir put in prior to Indians signing him.

Very interesting.

Initial velocity drop attributed to command issues. He was all over the place, told to slow things down, velocity drops as result, command doesn't come back with less velocity and he's effed in the ear.

Driveline says pro orgs awful at developing velocity but Kazmir finds these DST guys and a tutor who helps put him back together over the course of a couple years.

His velocity was 94-95 prior to camp so the 95-96 today is not an aberration and the DST guys say his command has never been better. Not to mention wipeout slider is on the precipice of being fully back and he now throws an up and down curve ball and a bit of a splittish kind of thing.

Just figured I'd send it along.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Scott Kazmir Article

Unread postby bookelly » Fri May 10, 2013 2:38 am

Kazmir may be even more of a diamond in the rough than Reynolds. Kudos to Chris no matter what happens from now on (knocks on wood). He's had a very good offseason regardless of the outcome.

Yan, Aviles, Rayburn, Giambi, Tito, Scott = all guys who are performing at top level on the cheap. Well, not Tito...but you know what I mean. Add in the highly paid guys and only Myers has disappointed, but he has a chance to get it on track; in the bullpen I'd guess.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri May 10, 2013 8:48 am

Ron Woolforth might be one of Kyle Boddy of Driveline Baseball's idols. I know he goes down to the Texas Baseball Ranch on a yearly basis for some sort of symposium that they have - the same one Trevor Bauer and Mickey Callaway were at this past winter. Woolforth is referenced in the article as the guy who got his mechanics back in working order.

Like I said from the start about Kazmir, he's an easy guy to root for. He didn't sit idly and watch his career go down the shitter. He was proactive. He did something most Major League pitchers won't do. He went and restrengthened himself and got his velocity back. Some guys just try to adapt to pitching without it and a lot of them fail miserably.

He's been a tremendous weapon so far and I think it's really important that he's seeing positive results early on from all of the work that he did. It'll just help his confidence that his long road back appears to be worth it so far. That's going to go a long way for his psyche. Had he come all this way back and hung a 10.20 ERA over his first four starts would been hard to swallow and he probably would have gotten down on himself.

After that first start, where Santana did an awful job calling the game, wanting too many breaking balls from a guy that needed to establish fastball command in a blowout, he's got a 2.64 ERA and a 7/1 K/BB ratio. And he looks good. A lot of late swings.

Again, it's just four starts and his arm may fall off in the near future, but I'll be rooting for him and I'll keep rooting for him if he goes elsewhere next season.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 16, 2013 9:11 am

Kyle Boddy of Driveline Baseball wrote about Scott Kazmir for The Hardball Times. A lot of good stuff in here. He talks about the Ron Woolforth camp, which I addressed earlier. Then he gives a .gif breakdown of Kazmir then and now with the technical, physiological jargon to back up what you're seeing.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/artic ... oove-back/
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 16, 2013 11:49 am

skatingtripods wrote:Kyle Boddy of Driveline Baseball wrote about Scott Kazmir for The Hardball Times. A lot of good stuff in here. He talks about the Ron Woolforth camp, which I addressed earlier. Then he gives a .gif breakdown of Kazmir then and now with the technical, physiological jargon to back up what you're seeing.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/artic ... oove-back/

And look at that Twitter conversation he cites! ;-) ;) :wink:

Good article. And he's agreat example of how the eyes and the numbers don't always have to be at war.

Love his stuff.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:57 pm

Pretty cool, with the tweets in there.

Wonder if they could 'restore' Ubaldo.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Thu May 16, 2013 8:15 pm

googleeph2 wrote:Pretty cool, with the tweets in there.

Wonder if they could 'restore' Ubaldo.

Not even working with God could fix that guy
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby dmiles » Fri May 17, 2013 2:29 am

I've talked to him (wolforth) but not attended any of his events. He's gotten many a HS kid up over 90 if they put in the work. He seemed to liberally utilize a ton of information from Setpro forums, but in my mind came up with a more consistent throwing program whereas Setpro seemed to be more concerned with the theory and Analysis.

The Stock brothers came out of that line of teaching which apparently was very good for throwing, (not a fan of their hitting stuff) and the younger is playing at Lake County. The older Stock kid was Baseball America amateur POY at 14 when he was clocked at 94 MPH. The system requires hard work. Kyle seems to have carved a nice niche for himself in all this and he's spot on about not following some of the standard coaching on mechanics.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:01 pm

Scott Kazmir talked with David Laurila at Fangraphs about rekindling his love for baseball and how he got back to where he is now:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/qa-scott ... -oblivion/

Such an easy guy to root for.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:11 am

Lucky for him because the Tribe has a good track record at taking supposedly has-been pitchers and turning them back into credible back-end-of-rotation guys. Two that come to mind quickly are Carl Pavano and Chuck Finley. Unlucky for the Tribe, those guys tend to move on right after for bigger contracts with a different team. Kazmir's contract is for this year only at $1M.

Credit goes to Kazmir for the grunt work but he did get a team to take a chance on him. It would be nice if he ends up pitching pretty good and repays the Indians with another contract at a reasonable price. Yeah, right.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB