Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

05/09 - A's @ Indians - Going for the Sweep

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: 05/09 - A's @ Indians - Going for the Sweep

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri May 10, 2013 8:57 am

Kazmir 19/23 first pitch strikes. No 3-0 counts. 19 swings and misses yesterday, 13 on fastballs. Sat 93.3 with the fastball, hit 96.23 on one of his last three pitches.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Prosecutor » Fri May 10, 2013 9:33 am

Based on the way McAllister, Ubaldo, and Kazmir have been throwing the ball recently, I think the Indians need to sign Mickey Calloway to a lifetime contract.

He figured out that Ubaldo slowed down his motion by a full second since his glory days and got him to speed it back up. The results speak for themselves.

He taught McAllister to throw a forkball and Kazmir to throw a "spiked" curve, giving both another weapon in their arsenal so they don't have to rely on the fastball as much. Again, the results have been dramatic. This guy is making chicken salad out of chicken you-know-what.

Whoever made the decision to give Kazmir a tryout after he got lit up in the Atlantic League last year should also get a promotion. And Francona should get a lifetime managing contract just for bringing in Calloway.

Like I said earlier, proven starters are expensive. Teams like the Indians need to find reclamation projects like Kazmir and unwanted minor leaguers like McAllister and salvage them. That's where a guy like Calloway becomes invaluable.

The Indians finally got some money to work with and had to make some choices. They went hard after Swisher and got him. They decided to sign Reynolds, although I'm not sure he was their first choice. The lucked out and got Bourn, but they had to make a multi-year commitment. They raped the D-Backs and Reds by getting Bauer, Stubbs, and Shaw for one year of Shin-Soo Choo. The Rich Hill acquisition is also paying off, and the Rogers for Aviles and Gomes deal is shaping up to be another steal. The only questionable move so far was signing Myers, but that's only a one-year deal.

So far it looks like the front office hit a grand slam in the first year in a long time where they had some ammunition to work with.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Fri May 10, 2013 9:51 am

That might be the biggest overreaction I've read on these boards since LeBron hinted that one time how much he loved Cleveland and everyone took it to mean he was staying.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby pup » Fri May 10, 2013 10:07 am

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:That might be the biggest overreaction I've read on these boards since LeBron hinted that one time how much he loved Cleveland and everyone took it to mean he was staying.

CTB07 meet Prosecutor
Prosecutor meet CTB07
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri May 10, 2013 10:23 am

So awesome to know that Ubaldo is fixed. FINALLY! Our fuckin' troubles are over, dudes.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Prosecutor » Fri May 10, 2013 11:36 am

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:That might be the biggest overreaction I've read on these boards since LeBron hinted that one time how much he loved Cleveland and everyone took it to mean he was staying.

Could very well be an overreaction but anybody who can fix Ubaldo has a job in my organization for as long as he wants one.

Not to mention whatever role he had in bringing Kazmir back from the dead and developing McAllister from just another guy who could fall out of any minor league bus to what he's doing right now.

Hey, just let me enjoy this while it lasts. Which may not be through the weekend.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri May 10, 2013 11:48 am

Prosecutor wrote:

Could very well be an overreaction but anybody who can fix Ubaldo has a job in my organization for as long as he wants one.

Not to mention whatever role he had in bringing Kazmir back from the dead and developing McAllister from just another guy who could fall out of any minor league bus to what he's doing right now.

Hey, just let me enjoy this while it lasts. Which may not be through the weekend.

The worry is that since Ubaldo can't continue to throw 2 bullpen side sessions all season without his arm falling off, will the performances continue when he goes down to 1?
It seems like if one tiny thing doesn't align in Ubaldo's mechanics, it all goes to shit.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri May 10, 2013 12:10 pm

Prosecutor wrote:Hey, just let me enjoy this while it lasts. Which may not be through the weekend.

This is a valid point. I've been trying not to crap on optimism so much. Just not in most Cleveland fan's nature. :cheers:
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri May 10, 2013 12:51 pm

Scotty Kazmir's last three pitches yesterday:

95.78, 96.23, 95.81. Somebody asked Kazmir about the last three pitches and he said they were angry throws from giving up the HR.

Props to Fangraphs for the .gifs.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri May 10, 2013 1:34 pm

Not to mention that if you read the Kazmir thread you'll see Calloway had nothing (or very, very little) to do with Kazmir regaining his velocity, regianing the bite on his slider or developing that curveball.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Prosecutor » Fri May 10, 2013 5:55 pm

I could have sworn I read that Calloway got Kazmir to start throwing the spiked curve but now I can't find the column, so I may have been mistaken. At any rate, after reading the Kazmir column you posted it's clear that the majority of his success is due to his own efforts to get back in shape and the coach that helped him straighten out his mechanics.

So I stand corrected, sir.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB