Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

NFL Draft: Day 2

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: NFL Draft: Day 2

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue May 07, 2013 8:59 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Chud+Norv get Weeds to pull a 2007 version of DA out of their asses and the Browns bumblefuck their way to 7 or 8 wins.

Clowney and Bridgewater are off the board by the time we draft.

Take it to the bank. OIC

That'll be our luck. Then we'll be stuck in mediocrity for a few years before we suck again.

And isn't that the mantra of the northeast ohio sports fan lately...
"Hey, just one more year of suck, and we'll be good!"

Especially with our Browns and Cavs. However, I'll never forget the Tribe GM quote,, and I paraphrase, "We got to get bad before we get good," when we traded (was it CC Sabathia?)
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue May 07, 2013 9:01 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Chud+Norv get Weeds to pull a 2007 version of DA out of their asses and the Browns bumblefuck their way to 7 or 8 wins.

Take it to the bank. OIC

Or that is why we stockpiled some picks for next year. We'll trade the entire draft to get into the top two. Where's Mike Ditka when you need him?
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby jb » Wed May 08, 2013 9:31 am

leadpipe wrote:
jb wrote:
pup wrote:
jb wrote:
pup wrote:Be nothing dumber than passing on an elite QB for a DE.

Nothing.

I can think of one thing.

Passing on a once in a generation pass rusher for a good but not great QB prospect.

Andrew isn't coming out this year.

"My leg hurts."
- Sam Bowie

"So's my knee. Where's my dog?"
- Greg Oden

Pass the ball. Stop the pass. That's the 2013 NFL. Two parts.

Well, the difference is clearly in the wording. If Teddy is rated as elite, you take him. If he is good but not great, go ahead and take Clowney.

Pressuring the QB is created as much through scheme as it is individual talent. You can create pressure without taking someone at #1. You cannot create a QB.

Ask the Texans if they trade JJ Watt for Andrew Luck.

I can do bidnezz wichu that Teddy Football is the wild card here. RG3 made that huge leap his SR year. I'll say maybe. then rest of that group is all Chris Chandler to me.

But if you think Clowney, the freak of all freaks, is just JJ Watt, then Andrew Luck was Christian Ponder.

And I call BS on your pass rush = scheme take. It's about playas and playmakers on both sides of the ball. You can also say that the passing game is about scheme & team to a degree, unless you think Joe Flacco was an "elite" prospect.

The Ravens won the Super Bowl cause of their QB.

[quote]

Well, duh, kinda my point.

(With respect to FUDU's point about luck, and he can ad KR and a lil refs' blind eyes to that as well.)

Where was Flacco selected? As an "elite" top # 1 overall pick? Nope. As a top 5? Uh uh. Top 10? Not even close, bud (John Bender quote.) Top 15? Keep going.

18th overall.

What's that, about 4 slots higher than good ole BQ and Weeds?

You can take a Joe Flacco every year. Same as you can a Christian Ponder or Jake Locker who went earlier. Or Blake Gabbert. Every damn year.

You do not pass on a prospect I'd go so far as saying is a probable HOFer once-in-a-generaton talent for that. You do not reach at that opportunity cost. You either make damn sure you hav ethe equivalant prospect at QB or you trade back up and get 2 number ones.

Of course you must have an elite QB to win on Sunday. No debate on that. The question is at what cost and how do you obtain that guy.

The answer is sure as hell not at the expense of the best prospect in two or three decades at the SECOND most important position on the field - pass RUSHER. Unless he is close to that equal.

This is how teams end up with Greg Odens over Kevin Durants.

Oh, and no one quite knows what we have in Weeds yet. I am not brimming with optimism but I haven't stuck a fork in him yet. As Rat fan what they thought of Flacco three seasons ago.

Lastly, the 7 win scenarios to F up 2014 draft is wildly unrealistic. The customatry 4 win season will do that quite nicely.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed May 08, 2013 10:19 am

I'm not sure the Clowney v Teddy discussion actually matters (fwiw you take Clowney) because the Browns aren't going to be bad enough to get either, and nobody is trading away Clowney.

If Weeden screws the pooch this year then Boyd is probably in the discussion.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed May 08, 2013 10:43 am

motherscratcher wrote:I'm not sure the Clowney v Teddy discussion actually matters (fwiw you take Clowney) because the Browns aren't going to be bad enough to get either, and nobody is trading away Clowney.

The 'Skins were able to trade the ranch to draft RG3 (and we were right there as well), so I can keep hoping we have the possibility of trading up to grab an outstanding QB, if one exists.

And the darn pooch was minding his own business, why do you have to bring him into it?
OldDawg

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed May 08, 2013 10:44 am

motherscratcher wrote:I'm not sure the Clowney v Teddy discussion actually matters (fwiw you take Clowney) because the Browns aren't going to be bad enough to get either, and nobody is trading away Clowney.

Of course it doesn't fucking matter.

But it's all we fuckin' got, man.

A ginger QB and an owner that might be heading to "pound them up the ass prison". The present is pretty fucking terrible, so let's look to the future. (despite us having the same chance at landing Clowney as finding a full set of teeth at Mustard Field on a Sunday).
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:48 pm

Take it to the bank. OIC

^^^

I think it'll be five or six but same deal. You win three or more and you're likely outta the running.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jb » Thu May 09, 2013 1:28 pm

can I add something positive? The UDFA pick up of Faulk, the OT from LSU, has a feel of positive intrigue to it.
jb

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu May 09, 2013 3:56 pm

jb wrote:can I add something positive? The UDFA pick up of Faulk, the OT from LSU, has a feel of positive intrigue to it.

I think the over/under of UDFA's making this team is around 2.5. I'll take the over.

(A safe bet since Punter, FB, backup TE, and a slew of secondary spots are up for UDFA grabs)
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri May 10, 2013 9:24 am

Take it to the bank. OIC

OIC would we have our best season in six years and then grouse about our draft position.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri May 10, 2013 9:34 am

jb wrote:You can take a Joe Flacco every year.

So we're back to Joe Flacco Isn't Elite? And that's not even getting into guys like Tannehill, Weeds, and Manuel all going first round. I can't see the next Flacco making it to 18.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby jb » Fri May 10, 2013 2:16 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
jb wrote:You can take a Joe Flacco every year.

So we're back to Joe Flacco Isn't Elite? And that's not even getting into guys like Tannehill, Weeds, and Manuel all going first round. I can't see the next Flacco making it to 18.

Dude. Of course Flacco is elite. The point is you didn't need to pick him in the top 5.

Just as Ben went 11 Rogers went late first and Brees was a 2nd rounder & FA.

You CAN take a Joe Falcco every year. Its a fact. You can take a good QB prospect in the middle of round one, or even lower, every dang year. Sometime he turns into Joe Flacco via correct talent projection, patience and a good development system aaround him and sometimes he turns into Brady Quinn.
jb

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri May 10, 2013 4:40 pm

jb wrote:You CAN take a Joe Falcco every year. Its a fact. You can take a good QB prospect in the middle of round one, or even lower, every dang year.

Well, except this year.

Unless EJ fits that mold, which, I guess technically he does, so never mind.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL