Text Size

College Sports Arena

OSU OL 2013 and beyond

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

OSU OL 2013 and beyond

Unread postby furls » Tue May 07, 2013 9:57 am

OSU’s starting 5 on the OL should be among the best in the country this year. They have 4 sure fire NFL players on the line and one that is just too young to tell for sure, but I would bet that Taylor Decker also ends up playing on Sunday’s too. Think about the last time that happened?
Mewhort will be a 2nd day NFL pick (rounds 2-3)
Linsley may be one of the top 2-3 centers drafted.
Norwell will be drafted whenever the run on OG’s starts
Marcus Hall is the only one that I have any doubts on, but he developed a ton last year.
The depth is terrifying. Chase Farris looked way out of place on the outside. He was NO match for Spence or Washington. He is a guard, and I think he will be a good guard. He is also likely to be the 6th man (first man off the bench for any injury at any position except C).
The 2014 OL is scary:
LT Taylor Decker
LG Chase Farris?
C Pat Elflein
RG Underwood? (I hope not)/ Jacoby Boren (undersized)/Billy Price (DT?)/Timothy Gardner (???)
RT Evan Lisle ??? (Hope he is ready)

OL recruiting.... Meyer and Co. missed on Byrne, which is unfortunate he is a great prospect, but they did get Trout, who apparently has transformed his body (like Evan Lisle last year) and looks to be the best OL recruit in OH this year. Marcelys Jones is blowing up and looks to be one of the very VERY best OG prospects in the country, although he was torched in one on one drills in a recent camp proving that he is not able to take speed rushers in space, therefore, he is strictly an interior player.

The season started with the Bucks chasing some pretty good OT prospects, but the rest really have not panned out (KC McDermott, Mustipher etc.). They are chasing 2 elite JUCO prospects, Eluemonor and Mavety, and we will see what happens there. The staff is clearly trying to bridge the gap created by Jim Bollman's last 2 OL classes (Underwood and co in 2011 & the undersized class of 2012 including Boren and Elflein). The 2011 class looks like it will likely be a complete whiff. Underwood is unlikely to be anything better than a below average starter or just adequate depth and he is the "prize" of that group that included transferred and undersized Bobek, Carter (switched to DL) and Brown (3rd string now?).

2012's class is better but was a bit hollow: O'Connor transferred. Boren looks like a good player, but he is undersized and likely best suited for Center where he has been passed on the DC by classmate Pat Elflein. Kyle Dodson's reviews have been mixed. Taylor Decker has been reputed to be a great OL, but frankly, he was manhandled by Spence and Washington in the spring game. Either he is not as good as reported, or Spence and Washington are All Conference players. We shall see this season.

Now all that said, I am completely and totally confident that Ed Warriner will figure out something. Meyer did an amazing job assembling this staff and I don't know which position coach I like the best, but I don't think anyone can argue that any position coach did more to turn around his unit last year than Warriner did. He took Bollman's bad 2011 line and turned the same players into the best unit in the B1G last year and one of the best in the country. The development from player to player was noticeable, so I look forward to seeing what he can do with the kids from 2012, 2013 and 2014 as he tries to rebuild Bollman's disaster.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: OSU OL 2013 and beyond

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:25 pm

Givler just watched Jones for the second time in a camp setting recently and had the same report as before, physically he is a freak but he has the worst footwork he's ever seen. The kid will actually cross his feet sometimes in 1 on 1s, which is absurd. I mean that is literally the single biggest sin an O-Linemen can make. Givler said some of the 1 on 1s he won on his way to earning OL MVP and the Underarmor/Rivals Pitt camp left Givler literally amazed because of how bad his feet are.

That all said, Givler is going to give him a bump in his next Ohio rankings (coming out next week or so).

And OSU NEEDS one of those JUCO O-linemen deperately. Next year's O-Line is terrifying, even if you move Efflien to a guard and Boren back to center.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: OSU OL 2013 and beyond

Unread postby furls » Tue May 07, 2013 4:34 pm

Warriner will have his work cut out for him with Jones. Thank God we have Warriner now. Jones is a project, but he has an amazing ceiling.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to College Sports Arena