Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

NFL Draft: Day 2

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: NFL Draft: Day 2

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:57 am

furls wrote:Gotta say that the Bengals got a steal with Fragel in the 7th round. Kid is just figuring out how to play tackle. My guess is that he is a solid pro for about a decade at RT. The rest of OSU's class in this year's draft is really weak.

Hankins could be good, but could be a bust.
Simon cannot be an NFL LB and is barely fast enough to be an NCAA DE, let alone NFL

Fragel was the real gem. 6-8" 310, 37 bench reps TE athleticism.... kid will be a player in the NFL and I was hoping the Browns would grab him in the 6th or 7th round.

I could have sworn that I saw Fragel's name being tossed around as a potential top 50 pick in the weeks leading up to the draft. I'm probably just confused.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby antikryct » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:12 am

Banner/Chud's press conference...

http://tinyurl.com/d9puq7y

When asked about the trade to the Steelers and trading within the division in general, Banner responds (paraphrasing) "he prefers to trade within the division. You don't make a trade you don't think you're winning. If you get the better of the trade, you've also hurt a team in your division"...references the McNabb trade with the Redskins.

So yeah, first trade between the Browns and Steelers in 45 years, but I have to admit he's building some faith in me. Time will tell, but at least next year the Steelers have no natural 3rd rounder.

Worth watching...at the 4:15 mark.
antikryct

Unread postby jb » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:00 pm

scrambler wrote:If Slaughter is on the field, Notre Dame beats Alabama. That's all I'm saying.

As I love sarcasm, u are one of the better posters . Proppers.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:10 pm

OldDawg wrote:Bronws trade 4th round pick and 5th round pick away.
1) Haslam can't afford to draft any more players, or
2) We are stockpiling picks next year to trade up to grab Johnny Football next year.

My guess is #1

It would make perfect sense for this organization to draft Johnny Football when Clowney is also on the board.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:43 am

antikryct wrote:Banner/Chud's press conference...

http://tinyurl.com/d9puq7y

When asked about the trade to the Steelers and trading within the division in general, Banner responds (paraphrasing) "he prefers to trade within the division. You don't make a trade you don't think you're winning. If you get the better of the trade, you've also hurt a team in your division"...references the McNabb trade with the Redskins.

So yeah, first trade between the Browns and Steelers in 45 years, but I have to admit he's building some faith in me. Time will tell, but at least next year the Steelers have no natural 3rd rounder.

Worth watching...at the 4:15 mark.

I would guess that sword cuts both ways.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:44 am

peeker643 wrote:
OldDawg wrote:.......
2) We are stockpiling picks next year to trade up to grab Johnny Football next year......

It would make perfect sense for this organization to draft Johnny Football when Clowney is also on the board.

Man I hope its not option #2. A 6'1, Air Raid system QB , with a Arm described as 'Average'... Ill pass. The numbers he is putting up in College is a direct result of Sumlin's system, and B12 Defense's.

Id take a flyer on Braxton Miller and his dieing quail passes, who some say might have the best arm in college football (though admittedly I have not seen that yet) in the 3rd round or later before Id touch Johnny 'I'm to cool for school' football.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:20 am

Govbarney wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
2) We are stockpiling picks next year to trade up to grab Johnny Football next year......

Man I hope its not option #2. A 6'1, Air Raid system QB , with a Arm described as 'Average'... Ill pass. The numbers he is putting up in College is a direct result of Sumlin's system, and B12 Defense's.

Id take a flyer on Braxton Miller and his dieing quail passes, who some say might have the best arm in college football (though admittedly I have not seen that yet) in the 3rd round or later before Id touch Johnny 'I'm to cool for school' football.

I'm not for/against Johnny Football at this point, but he played in the SEC last season, not the B12.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby jb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:21 am

Johnny = Doug Flutie + 2/3 inches minus some velocity.

Won't be an elite prospect. That takes nada away from him being a great / entertaining CFB player.
jb

Unread postby jb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:23 am

Govbarney wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

You may want to check ur NCAA realignment chart.

BTW the Big 10 blows on both sides of the ball. IIRC the Wisky C was the only 1st round pick? Who went next?
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:44 am

jb wrote:
Govbarney wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

You may want to check ur NCAA realignment chart.

BTW the Big 10 blows on both sides of the ball. IIRC the Wisky C was the only 1st round pick? Who went next?

Le'Veon Bell went to Steelers soon after Kawaan Short went somewhere. Not sure about after that though.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:49 am

peeker643 wrote:
OldDawg wrote:Bronws trade 4th round pick and 5th round pick away.
1) Haslam can't afford to draft any more players, or
2) We are stockpiling picks next year to trade up to grab Johnny Football next year.

My guess is #1

And Teddy Bridgewater.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:51 am

Hankins was a RD2 guy as well, correct? And a few months ago I saw people projecting him as top 10-15 guy?

You know it's a down year when all those OL go in RD1 and the B1G has only one player off the board.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:59 am

There were 63 SEC players drafted to 22 B1G players.

The totals are somewhat impacted by two very Tressel Class related things:

1) the 2008 class, while a solid class talent wise, never lived up to the #1 class EVAH hype and the five year players from that class should have been drafted this year

2) the 2009 class, another Tressel top five monster recruiting class ended up a pile of hot garbage. Literally what a fucking crappy class.... it's almost unreal

These issues will change, as will Rich Rod ruining scUM.

I expect OSU and UM to churn out players at an SEC like level in the near future. That said, with PSU being murdered it's going to be hard to even get a third team that can produce any kind of talent consistently. Nebraska, MSU and UW will always have some kids drafted but nothing near where they should.

And it's only getting worse. Right now Stoops down at Kentucky is having his pick of Ohio kids OSU passed on. Those kids used to go to B1G schools, now we're even seeing them defect to the SEC (and to go 2-10 in the SEC at that).
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:06 am

Oh and the Browns should have signed Boren as a UDFA.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:11 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Oh and the Browns should have signed Boren as a UDFA.

Meh... that guy's just a football player. No room for guys like that in Berea. You better light up a watch or a 3-cone drill if ya want to walk on those hallowed grounds withthe Veikunes and the Robiskies.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:55 am

peeker643 wrote:
Meh... that guy's just a football player. No room for guys like that in Berea. You better light up a watch or a 3-cone drill if ya want to walk on those hallowed grounds withthe Veikunes and the Robiskies.

To be fair neither of those guys ever lit up anything, unless you count the sterno cans at the catering company they both now serve for.

I believe "fluid hips" and "polished" were the superlatives used to vault them into the second round.

Where's that draft thread at, it was a doosey!
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby jb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:49 pm

peeker643 wrote:

That's what confuses me about Mingo and McFadden, Peeker. Where is the consistent logic of the process?

One is the consummate workout warrior, and the other the low numbers football player.

Other than Jon Kuhn, how many D2 players are in the entire NFL?

We drafted 2.
jb

Unread postby jb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:49 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

To be fair neither of those guys ever lit up anything, unless you count the sterno cans at the catering company they both now serve for.

I believe "fluid hips" and "polished" were the superlatives used to vault them into the second round.

You mean a Dorsey?
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:04 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

The Browns apparently loved Robiskie's 'athleticism and verticality'. I remember them talking about him high-pointing footballs with a 38" vertical and being far faster/quicker than what he looked. And his 'hand span' was impressive.

As for Veikune? Maybe they should have just gone by the numbers and said, "no thanks" because it seems like they saw something that the numbers said wasn't there. ;-)

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:14 pm

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

That's what confuses me about Mingo and McFadden, Peeker. Where is the consistent logic of the process?

One is the consummate workout warrior, and the other the low numbers football player.

We drafted 2.

I don't know. That's why I wrote about process when it's hard for me because I'm not a guy who puts process ahead of all else. Not in a business sense anyway.

But they don't seem to have a clear cut philosophy or methodology and I think that's something that you don't have time to develop. You can develop one, but you'll usually be fired before it's finished.

I just think there's too much ego and arrogance with Banbardi. I really do think that they think that they're smarter than everyone else. And I still say (and in and of itelf it's not much more than an alarm) that sitting there in RD1 and not letting your time wind down and seeing if anyone calls (regardless of likelihood) is:
1) Irresponsible from a business persepective. The very, VERY worst thing that happens if you wait the ten minutes is you get the player you like.
2) A sign you think you nailed this to the point of insecurity.

The players will be who they are. But I'm not a fan of how the organization is set up from a drafting perspective and I didn't like what I saw in terms of how they handled their business.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:41 pm

peeker643 wrote:I just think there's too much ego and arrogance with Banbardi. I really do think that they think that they're smarter than everyone else.

One of the things the Browns—more than any other NFL team—have been damned with over the past 14 years is a bunch of guys who thought they were smarter than everyone else. And that will continue to get them nowhere, until those guys really ARE smarter than everyone else. For that, I'm not holding my breath.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Ol' No.23

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:40 pm

peeker643 wrote:As for Veikune? Maybe they should have just gone by the numbers and said, "no thanks" because it seems like they saw something that the numbers said wasn't there. ;-)

I honestly think that one of the reasons that we drafted Veikune is that the Browns wanted a
Polamalu of their very own. And you can throw Maiava into that grand theory as well. I base this on nothing, but you'll never convince me that wasnt part of it.

Passing on Maualuga in the same draft doesn't fit my theory so I'll ignore that part.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:57 pm

WTF ???? ^
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pup » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:36 pm

Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:07 am

I don't want to learn about sports, I want to be a dentist.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed May 01, 2013 9:13 am

peeker643 wrote:I just think there's too much ego and arrogance with Banbardi. I really do think that they think that they're smarter than everyone else. And I still say (and in and of itelf it's not much more than an alarm) that sitting there in RD1 and not letting your time wind down and seeing if anyone calls (regardless of likelihood) is:
1) Irresponsible from a business persepective. The very, VERY worst thing that happens if you wait the ten minutes is you get the player you like.
2) A sign you think you nailed this to the point of insecurity.

3) The draft isn't that good, so you're comfortable knowing that a Mingo in the hand is worth more than whatever the Rams could offer. Your mileage may vary, but Banner/Lombardi were very demonstrative on just how they felt about this year's draft class.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed May 01, 2013 9:18 am

jb wrote:That's what confuses me about Mingo and McFadden, Peeker. Where is the consistent logic of the process?

We drafted 2.

Does the University of Delaware count as D-1?

As for philosophy, best I can gather Lombardi was finishing up Horton's shopping list while stocking up in case they want to make a run at Clowney, Bridgewater, or Manziel next year. Then again, I've had fourteen years of philosophies, I'm just content to see if Horton can give us an honest-to-Lebeau pass rush.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby pup » Wed May 01, 2013 12:50 pm

Mingo was the guy they wanted.

Could only trade back as far as 8 or Jets take him.

Where is the confusion?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:54 pm

Manziel is not a top ten NFL draft pick, but it amuses the fuck out of me to see people here talk about him as one.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Wed May 01, 2013 2:15 pm

FWIW...here's one pundit's projection of the 2014 draft...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2217 ... 2014-draft

"Johnny Football" listed as a "just missed" the first round...
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:18 pm

Well, that pundit is Bucky Brooks so that opinion rates somewhere between "not worth reading" and "should be ceremoniously lit on fire".

Of course, no offense Dan.

(If Braxton has the kind of throwing year we all hope and pray he has he'll be a higher rated prospect than Manziel)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed May 01, 2013 2:39 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Well, that pundit is Bucky Brooks so that opinion rates somewhere between "not worth reading" and "should be ceremoniously lit on fire".

(If Braxton has the kind of throwing year we all hope and pray he has he'll be a higher rated prospect than Manziel)

As well he should be, he has considerably more upside.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby danwismar » Wed May 01, 2013 2:42 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Well, that pundit is Bucky Brooks so that opinion rates somewhere between "not worth reading" and "should be ceremoniously lit on fire".

That's what the "FWIW" is for...and I do find myself in agreement with his top four guys...at the very least.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed May 01, 2013 3:10 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Manziel is not a top ten NFL draft pick, but it amuses the fuck out of me to see people here talk about him as one.

This. I thought I was missing something.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed May 01, 2013 7:50 pm

danwismar wrote:FWIW...here's one pundit's projection of the 2014 draft...

SI's Burke has his '14 mock as well.
http://nfl.si.com/2013/04/30/2014-nfl-mock-draft/
Both mocks have Bridgewater and Boyd being the top 2 QBs going in the top 5 picks

Other first rounders:

SI has
Hundley, UCLA at 9
Manziel at 18

While CBS Sports has
Fales, San Jose St at 16
Mariota, Oregon at 24
AJ McCarron, Alabama at 27
Murray, GA, 29

And for the record, if Bridgewater has a fabulous year, and we have a choice between him and Clowney, its a no-brainer for me. QB time.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:37 pm

This is apropos of nothing and has nothing to do with this thread, but this thread is already so far off topic might as well use it and it is NFL related.....

This is possibly the funniest sports thing ever written: http://www.sbnation.com/2013/5/1/4282368/tim-tebow-cfl

I died.

Twice.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Wed May 01, 2013 11:59 pm

OMG that is fantastic.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jb » Mon May 06, 2013 2:44 pm

OldDawg wrote:
danwismar wrote:FWIW...here's one pundit's projection of the 2014 draft...

SI's Burke has his '14 mock as well.
http://nfl.si.com/2013/04/30/2014-nfl-mock-draft/
Both mocks have Bridgewater and Boyd being the top 2 QBs going in the top 5 picks

Other first rounders:

SI has
Hundley, UCLA at 9
Manziel at 18

While CBS Sports has
Fales, San Jose St at 16
Mariota, Oregon at 24
AJ McCarron, Alabama at 27
Murray, GA, 29

And for the record, if Bridgewater has a fabulous year, and we have a choice between him and Clowney, its a no-brainer for me. QB time.

Hits from a bong.

Do you know how F'n good Clowney is gonna be on Sunday?

Compared to these jamokes?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/top-5-qbs-rbs-2014-161041779--nfl.html

Now we'll see what Teddy Football does butt Clowney is the freak to end all freaks.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000165268/article/2014-nfl-draft-top-30-college-football-players-to-watch-this-fall
jb

Unread postby fairvis » Mon May 06, 2013 10:26 pm

If Clowney keeps performing like he has been and does what he's capable of this season, he has to go #1. Kid's closest comparison has to be Bruce Smith. I know it comes down to needs, and if some team needs a QB I'm sure that they'll take Teddy over him, but man, it would be hard to pass up.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby pup » Tue May 07, 2013 9:55 am

Be nothing dumber than passing on an elite QB for a DE.

Nothing.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue May 07, 2013 1:59 pm

pup wrote:Be nothing dumber than passing on an elite QB for a DE.

Nothing.

Considering the closest thing we had to an elite QB since the Browns came back was DA for only one decent season. Outside of that, its been like looking for water in the Sahara Desert.

And I agree that Clowney might be a once every 5-10 years kind of player, but its been like 15 years without a QB. If we don't get one next year at the top of the draft, we'll have to hope we get lucky later in the draft. One thing we haven't been is lucky.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby jb » Tue May 07, 2013 2:22 pm

Nothing.

I can think of one thing.

Passing on a once in a generation pass rusher for a good but not great QB prospect.

Andrew isn't coming out this year.

"My leg hurts."
- Sam Bowie

"So's my knee. Where's my dog?"
- Greg Oden

Pass the ball. Stop the pass. That's the 2013 NFL. Two parts.
jb

Unread postby pup » Tue May 07, 2013 2:32 pm

jb wrote:

Nothing.

Passing on a once in a generation pass rusher for a good but not great QB prospect.

"My leg hurts."
- Sam Bowie

- Greg Oden

Well, the difference is clearly in the wording. If Teddy is rated as elite, you take him. If he is good but not great, go ahead and take Clowney.

Pressuring the QB is created as much through scheme as it is individual talent. You can create pressure without taking someone at #1. You cannot create a QB.

Ask the Texans if they trade JJ Watt for Andrew Luck.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby jb » Tue May 07, 2013 2:36 pm

pup wrote:
jb wrote:

Nothing.

"My leg hurts."
- Sam Bowie

- Greg Oden

Well, the difference is clearly in the wording. If Teddy is rated as elite, you take him. If he is good but not great, go ahead and take Clowney.

Pressuring the QB is created as much through scheme as it is individual talent. You can create pressure without taking someone at #1. You cannot create a QB.

I can do bidnezz wichu that Teddy Football is the wild card here. RG3 made that huge leap his SR year. I'll say maybe. then rest of that group is all Chris Chandler to me.

But if you think Clowney, the freak of all freaks, is just JJ Watt, then Andrew Luck was Christian Ponder.

And I call BS on your pass rush = scheme take. It's about playas and playmakers on both sides of the ball. You can also say that the passing game is about scheme & team to a degree, unless you think Joe Flacco was an "elite" prospect.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:03 pm

You don't need Clowney when you have Benbacriasksdfivsus.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Tue May 07, 2013 4:11 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:You don't need Clowney when you have Benbacriasksdfivsus.

My point.

You can't make a chicken salad pass rush from chicken shit players. I've seen many elite QB's & passing games who/that weren't top 5 picks the past 5 seasons. But you can't mangini yourself into a pass rush. You'd better have the BSD pass rusher.

Clowney is the freak of all freaks plus he likes to rip heads off. Bonus.
jb

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue May 07, 2013 4:30 pm

You can't do ANYTHING w/ a chicken sh*t QB. And that's what we have.

Although I am in agreement if there isn't an elite QB there at 1, there's no way you don't take Clowney. I am NOT saying that we simply draft QB because ours sucks. Not at all. We could have had any QB we wanted this year and didn't bite, and I am OK with that.

BTW, what a freaking name for a guy that can take your head off and hand it to you. Clowney. I bet someone made fun of his name... once.
OldDawg

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue May 07, 2013 6:45 pm

jb wrote:
pup wrote:
jb wrote:

Nothing.

"My leg hurts."
- Sam Bowie

- Greg Oden

I can do bidnezz wichu that Teddy Football is the wild card here. RG3 made that huge leap his SR year. I'll say maybe. then rest of that group is all Chris Chandler to me.

But if you think Clowney, the freak of all freaks, is just JJ Watt, then Andrew Luck was Christian Ponder.

And I call BS on your pass rush = scheme take. It's about playas and playmakers on both sides of the ball. You can also say that the passing game is about scheme & team to a degree, unless you think Joe Flacco was an "elite" prospect.

The Ravens won the Super Bowl cause of their QB.

Their marquis pass rusher/defensive player of the year was basically on the shelf all year.

A very good QB trumps a Hall of Fame pass rusher in today's NFL. All day. Every day.

The caveat is not knowing. Sure, if we assume they are gonna eschew Clowney for some roll of the dice that ends up being a bumb, than, Christ, we all know how stupid that would be. But to be clear, if you end up passing on a very good QB for ANY other position, well, that would be stupider still. And yes, I said stupider.

Getting to the QB is in the big three that matter, (QB, getting to the QB, protecting the QB) but without a QB, none of them really matter, cause you ain't winning.

Put Bruce Smith on this team the last 6 years and you're winning the same 5 games. Put a top ten QB in the league here and you'd be on your way - on your way enough to win a Super Bowl? Perhaps not, but you'da a removed the organization from the laughingstock status it now clearly holds - as well as winning a hell of a lot more games.

Teams with bad defenses are winning A TON of games in this league the past several years. And the teams with the good defenses have figured out that they still better to be able to hang 30 or they are F'd.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby FUDU » Tue May 07, 2013 7:10 pm

The Ravens won the Superbowl b/c of two bone headed defenses that couldn't stop desperation Hail Marys.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:24 pm

Chud+Norv get Weeds to pull a 2007 version of DA out of their asses and the Browns bumblefuck their way to 7 or 8 wins.

Clowney and Bridgewater are off the board by the time we draft.

Take it to the bank. OIC
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL