Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

The impact of the coordinators

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

The impact of the coordinators

Unread postby jb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:47 pm

Given the FA period and the draft, has anyone stopped to really think about this concept?

The whole D is being remade into the image of Lil Bow Wow. How long do we think he will be here and is he all that and a Suzi Kolber thru Nameth beer goggles?

And with the O, we've added 2 vet WR's to push the 2 kids, which I like, but the house is bet on Norv coachin' 'em up.

It strikes me that if there is positive change for 2014, the house is bet on 2 men. I wonder how long these 2 mwen will be here? .... independent of Taquitergate (TM) shitcanning the whole evermotherlovin' thing.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: The impact of the coordinators

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:41 pm

The coordinators are my only hope, really. I think Horton is here for two years minimum. If Lovie can win ten games and have his pedigree defensively and not get a job, Horton ain't getting one with a Browns defense that doesn't have the talent to make Horton a hero.

I do think his package of changing fronts and personnel will be successful though. I think he's innovative and he'll take some risks and they're stockpiling pieces that give him flexibility (if not enough ability).

And I think Norv is Weeden's only hope to ever even be DA. And that's what I believe Weeden's upside is if he gets there. But they're also getting him Norv weapons. David Nelson is a helluva player if he's fit. He put up better numbers in 2011 than J Gordon did last season and the Browns are definitely looking like they're trying to duplicate Norv's 6'5, 230lb receivers like Floyd and Jackson. Bess works the creases and he's a good player too. They have the skill players (QB aside) to replicate the Turner offenses. Big back, big WRs who give Weeden more margin for error, athletic TE that can stretch field.

The coordinators are my only hope, really.

Two years minimum on each guy with Turner really having shown he should never hold the pilot's stick again. Ever. Turner could be a lifer as an OC at this point.

jb wrote:Given the FA period and the draft, has anyone stopped to really think about this concept?

The whole D is being remade into the image of Lil Bow Wow. How long do we think he will be here and is he all that and a Suzi Kolber thru Nameth beer goggles?

And with the O, we've added 2 vet WR's to push the 2 kids, which I like, but the house is bet on Norv coachin' 'em up.

It strikes me that if there is positive change for 2014, the house is bet on 2 men. I wonder how long these 2 mwen will be here? .... independent of Taquitergate (TM) shitcanning the whole evermotherlovin' thing.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:01 pm

The coordinators (and to an extent Chud) are the only thing that keeps me from hoping it just gets blown up before it even starts.

Although I think Banner is starting to grow on me. I only 85% dislike him now.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby pup » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:47 pm

Will Norv ever get another HC job? If not, and I think it is realistic to think he won't at his age with his history, then what is the concern?

While Horton is a candidate in the near future, guys with better pedigrees have been passed over for years now. If he turns the Browns into a top 5 defense over the next couple of years, he will probably get a shot. But why in God's Green Earth are we concerned about that? Would we rather coordinators not thought highly of so we can hold onto them? Hopefully there is someone on his staff that is prepping to follow along in his footsteps.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL