Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

There's always next year....

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

There's always next year....

Unread postby OldDawg » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:50 pm

Well, the Browns brass basically told us this past weekend to wait till next year.

I sheepishly said that the Browns were stockpiling 2014 draft picks to move up and nab the best QB next year, since none of the 2013 QBs were considered elite. Now I'm not sure that isn't part of the plan. Who is that QB gonna be? Is the depth at QB next year considered to be good. Here is a list of top-rated QBs for 2014. Bridgewater seems to be the highest rated at present as far being as NFL ready. Manziel fits the recent trend for read option QBs (Russel Wilson).

Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville
Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M
Tajh Boyd, Clemson
A.J. McCarron, Alabama
David Fales, San Jose State
Logan Thomas,Virginia Tech
Aaron Murray, Georgia
Keith Price, Washington
Derek Carr, Fresno State
Zach Mettenberger, LSU
Stephen Morris, Miami
Bryn Renner, North Carolina
Tyler Russell, Mississippi State
James Franklin, Missouri
Cody Glenn, Tulsa
Kevin Hogan, Stanford
Brett Hundley, UCLA
Marcus Mariota, Oregon
Tyler Tettleton, Ohio

or is there some guy that will sneak into the mix like when RG3 came on late in the process?

It is pretty well known that the best player in the draft next year will likely be Jadeveon Clowney, defensive end, South Carolina.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Re: There's always next year....

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:32 pm

I hope that we see in next years draft at least 3 QB's with first round grades on them

And not in a "Well, Brandon Weeden could go late in the first" sort of way, but in a "1983/2004" type of way where in even settling for "3rd best" we wind up with a guy who can get us to the playoffs. Because if it's only 1 or 2? You're going to be really struggling to sell the farm to get that QB you need. ESPECIALLY when you're not in the top 5. (which is possible, but I think the team is 5-11/6-10 bad, not 2-14/3-13/4-12 bad)

Literally that's what this team needs to be a playoff team. Yes that term seems laughable when you connect the Browns to it, but I think talent wise on both sides of the ball they have enough that they're not at 1999-like levels.

You can make it to the playoffs with mediocre guards, and a meh secoundary. You are not making it with Weeds at QB.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby jb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:50 am

I'm in the doubting but far from giving up on Weeds camp.

This years draft taught me the days on execs compromising of QB skills are over. To go high you'd better have a cannon & accuracy. Mobility is a plus. There's no more "we'll work around ur limitations" mentality because ur a winner or you do some things well.

They'd rather draft a freaking guard.

Lastly, Rhodes & Jammar are still out there. Not holding breath butt if they want to win now they'd have impact. Well see.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:00 am

One other observation... The 3-4 to 4-3 to 3-4 resources wasted by having to draft for that need & not BPA, plus the inability to evaluate WRs have made us a hamster on a treadmill for 8 seasons in some ways.

Will the day ever come we can move closer to less risky BPA & let the draft come to us?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:57 am

Triple-S wrote:I hope that we see in next years draft at least 3 QB's with first round grades on them

And not in a "Well, Brandon Weeden could go late in the first" sort of way, but in a "1983/2004" type of way where in even settling for "3rd best" we wind up with a guy who can get us to the playoffs. Because if it's only 1 or 2? You're going to be really struggling to sell the farm to get that QB you need. ESPECIALLY when you're not in the top 5. (which is possible, but I think the team is 5-11/6-10 bad, not 2-14/3-13/4-12 bad)

Literally that's what this team needs to be a playoff team. Yes that term seems laughable when you connect the Browns to it, but I think talent wise on both sides of the ball they have enough that they're not at 1999-like levels.

You can make it to the playoffs with mediocre guards, and a meh secoundary. You are not making it with Weeds at QB.

Probably not, but the Jets made it several times with Mark Sanchez. And I'd rather have Weeden than the Sanchize.

The reason this team isn't going to the playoffs is more that the team talent sucks and would require an "elite" talent to drag it to a wildcard rather than Weeden is holding back a really great group of players.

The draft is over, so the QB question is now a waste of time for me until the season starts back up and we see what we have, both on this team and in the college ranks.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby googleeph2 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:01 am

jb wrote:One other observation... The 3-4 to 4-3 to 3-4 resources wasted by having to draft for that need & not BPA, plus the inability to evaluate WRs have made us a hamster on a treadmill for 8 seasons in some ways.

Hate jettisoning players we end up needing. Offense too, to a lesser extent. Vickers- solid guy who loved NEO, too.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby neoleo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:55 am

I think the Browns like FA signing Chris Owens more than we'd like to think at CB. I have him pencilled in to start opposite Haden with Skrine and McFadden fighting for the nickle spot. Hopefully McFadden can develope and challenge Owens. I kept reading the crap from Pluto and the PD people that the Browns only had Haden, Skrine and Ware to play CB, but they forgot the signings of Owens and even Kevin Barnes.

Also, the Browns aren't going to be a very good team for many reasons, none more glaring than QB. Adding a 4th-5th round draft pick or two wasn't going to fix any of those reasons and it sure as hell wasn't going to give us a QB. Because of that, I actually like the trade outs to stock pile picks for next year (better draft on paper and some ammo to move up). We already have a roster full of mid round meh. Throw it all against the wall and give it a year to see if any of it sticks. Then next year see if you can go get your QB and start filling in the gaps.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL