Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Today's the day: Call

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Today's the day: Call

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:08 pm

jb wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:What the hell kind of name is Barkevious?

Like Django but the B isn't silent.

His brothers name is Hughtavious! I couldn't make this up
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Unread postby idoctribefan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:10 pm

Tavon Austin just hugged his grandmother and they are the same height
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:12 pm

idoctribefan wrote:Tavon Austin just hugged his grandmother and they are the same height

Gamgam has some ill quicks too.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:17 pm

Jarvis is dropping to Pittsburgh.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby idoctribefan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:23 pm

barkevious is doing his media conference call now. Sounds like a pretty bright guy. Maybe he can help keep Quinton Groves out of trouble.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby justmebd » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:26 pm

Since we have very little chance of trading back up into Round One, and we have no second round pick, I would like to see Pittsburgh draft Geno Smith so I can be entertained for the next five months.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:26 pm

Well, over for new. Thanks NFL, for ruining the draft,
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:33 pm

Josh Gordon was worth it
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:14 pm

Oh man....

Oh man....

Jarvis to the Steelers is LOLOLOLOLOLOL

40 time versus production.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:25 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Oh man....

Oh man....

Exactly.

On the field. In the best conference in America.

Goes 14 spots behind a guy playing half the downs in the Pac 12....

Yeah, go ahead and give me the guy that answered the bell on the field every day over the workout warrior.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:25 pm

Oh man....

Sure Hall of Famer, now. for sure.
And Mingo becomes the next Clifford Charlton or Mike Junkin.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby municipalmutt » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:30 pm

idoctribefan wrote:barkevious is doing his media conference call now. Sounds like a pretty bright guy. Maybe he can help keep Quinton Groves out of trouble.

Or Desmond Bryant.

municipalmutt

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:09 am

I don't think that is a very good draft class (unless you like OT's).

That said, there could have been a few other worse picks out there. The Browns seem really intent on shoring up their pass rush, and frankly that could be a very good thing.

Jones probably is going to wind up being the better player, but I guess I think Mingo could be alright for us. He may be undersized but he comes from a premier school within the most premier NFL caliber conference in the country.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:14 am

Triple-S wrote:I don't think that is a very good draft class (unless you like OT's).

That said, there could have been a few other worse picks out there. The Browns seem really intent on shoring up their pass rush, and frankly that could be a very good thing.

Jones probably is going to wind up being the better player, but I guess I think Mingo could be alright for us. He may be undersized but he comes from a premier school within the most premier NFL caliber conference in the country.

The hindsight pisser is that I think we could have traded back fairly far and still got Jones and picked up a pick... any pick. I mean, if I woulda told you that we could come out of the night with Jones AND another pick, you'd say I was nuts.
OldDawg

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:30 am

OldDawg wrote:The hindsight pisser is that I think we could have traded back fairly far and still got Jones and picked up a pick... any pick. I mean, if I woulda told you that we could come out of the night with Jones AND another pick, you'd say I was nuts.

Right

But at least we're not talking about the Browns reaching for someone, or pissing that particular pick away on someone like Geno Smith.

Hiko and leadpipe I believe was stressing that if the Browns aren't focusing on the passing game..or rushing the passer they aren't winning in the NFL. The more guys we can throw at QB's, the better.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:52 am

OldDawg wrote:
Triple-S wrote:I don't think that is a very good draft class (unless you like OT's).

The hindsight pisser is that I think we could have traded back fairly far and still got Jones and picked up a pick... any pick. I mean, if I woulda told you that we could come out of the night with Jones AND another pick, you'd say I was nuts.

The Crux. I might very well take JJ over Mingo straight up, much less 13 picks later or with a draft pick thrown in.

That's why the good teams stay good. There's no genius to it. You just sit tight at the end of the round and wait for teams to make you bizarre offers or take the players they let fall through the cracks.

It's the key to all life - recognize that there are people smarter than you and there are people dumber than you.

Cost-plus the stupid ones.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:20 am

Oh man....

Remember when Heath Miller fell to the Steelers? Same shit. At this juncture it should be expected.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby jb » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:37 am

OldDawg wrote:

This.

This makes it awefully tough. While this was an turrble draft class as evidenced by more F'n guards going round one than QBs, Wrs & RBs combined, the Browns went all in on an underperforming boom bust pick.

It's not like the mitigation of KeKe not allegedly being schemed to strengths or athletic talent doesn't exist. But it's hard to see this bunch pass on the "safe" pick in Milliner, and the value of JJ & the 46th pick passed. And while the My Browns Right or Wrong Sheep spazzing at any critical analysis of these facts melt on the Big boards over the hard fact that JJ s 4.9 40 played lights out faster than Mingo it's tough to not leave draft day excited as a Browns fan. He'll the Ravens probably got a better pick, too.
jb

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:14 am

Liked him over Milliner, but the trade-down JJ debate is a valid one.

Read somewhere that the Browns considered trading up to 3 to get him...and were gonna trade out if he was gone. For what its worth, they "got their guy"
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Unread postby jjgmyers » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:20 am

His brothers name is Hughtavious! I couldn't make this up

Mingo is the son of Hugh Mingo and Barbara Johnson. He has two older brothers, Hugh and Hughtavious. His unusual first name was created by his mother, adding the first three letters of her first name to the equally random letters Kevious.[9] The name won the 2009 Name of the Year award
jjgmyers
I Heart Fat Chicks

Unread postby jb » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:35 am

More I think of this, more I'm wondering when Chris Grant became Browns GM.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:56 am

jb wrote:More I think of this, more I'm wondering when Chris Grant became Browns GM.

Again, we'll see. The pick left me less than enthused or enthralled, but many would have in this draft.

But I can't get past the fact that if you're at #6 and you're looking at two 10-yr guards who are rated as highly as anyone can rate them, why not take one? Make the most of the weak draft. Two teams took Gs in the top 10 so I'd prefer not to argue that you don't take them that high.

But if you can't trade back then why not get a guy like Warmack or Cooper?

Teams like Pittsburgh have guys fall to them in the middle or late parts of the round not because they're lucky or because they handle Thursday night better per se, but because they make the right decisions far more often every year and don't have to reach and gamble.

Oh... and I like the Vikings aggressiveness in getting back into 1st round for Patterson, but damn if you're not better off dealing with Tony Soprano than the effing loan sharking Patriots.

Lastly, I hope the Browns don't reference 'character issues' as a reason for not selecting any given player. Not with their owner in the room anyway.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:31 am

OldDawg wrote:The hindsight pisser is that I think we could have traded back fairly far and still got Jones and picked up a pick... any pick. I mean, if I woulda told you that we could come out of the night with Jones AND another pick, you'd say I was nuts.

Not at all. Myself and many others were advocating a Browns trade down to get Jarvis and a pick. Its not just hindsight.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:02 am

peeker643 wrote:Two teams took Gs in the top 10 so I'd prefer not to argue that you don't take them that high.

You don't take them that high.

It's the only tagproof position in the NFL, so teams rarely get 10yrs of elite OG play. One team gets to blow a high draft pick for the first 5 years, another gets to blow a huge contract for the second 5 years. If you're going to be one or the other, at least be the second 5 years team, know what you're getting, and keep your high picks for something else.

Also, Barkevious Mingo being a boom/bust guys makes him the surest jersey purchase in the history of jersey purchases (if you're into that sort of thing; I no longer am, but it's so perfect, I may have to make one last exception). If he's great, woohoo, the name on my back belongs to a player who is good and stuff! If he sucks, that jersey never goes out of style, because it's a jersey for a human being named Barkevious Mingo. How much greater would a Clifford Charlton jersey be today if his name had been, say, Cliffordian Charlieman? Or CliChar Fordcar?
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:15 am

I am either very happy with picking Mingo, or very upset.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:24 am

I don't mind the Mingo pick, I just really didn't like it at #6.... There wasn't anyone I wanted at 6, I really don't understand turning down a trade down offer if it was on the table, nor do I get very excited about the Browns running up to the table with their draft card like they just got the steal of a lifetime.

Mingo has first rd talent but there was no one at six worth passing up a 2nd for. At least IMO from a prospective viewpoint, no doubt a few of the available players will end up being good players but the waters were muddy here, smart money was to maximize the picks IMO. And Banner says the deal was there. And then to watch the steelers get Jones, just feels like a perfect example of them being them and the Browns being the Browns.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:44 am

HoodooMan wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Two teams took Gs in the top 10 so I'd prefer not to argue that you don't take them that high.

You don't take them that high.

Clearly I read the draft results wrong then.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:47 am

I don't hate the Mingo pick.

My issue with it is getting a guy that you are going to "transition" into a position when there was an excellent player available at that position. And I understand the differences in their games, but really, they need what each player provides.

I guess if you're worried about Jones' health it balances out somewhat....
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:50 am

jb, damn that's a good call. This was the Grantiest NFL pick possible (unless it was Jordan, of course).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:52 am

peeker643 wrote:Clearly I read the draft results wrong then.

Teams have used 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks on kickers and punters, too.

This is your standard of good sense?
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:56 am

^ yeah, the "since teams did x it's okay" argument doesn't work in a sports world where only half the teams are anywhere near competent.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:17 am

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:More I think of this, more I'm wondering when Chris Grant became Browns GM.

Again, we'll see. The pick left me less than enthused or enthralled, but many would have in this draft.

But I can't get past the fact that if you're at #6 and you're looking at two 10-yr guards who are rated as highly as anyone can rate them, why not take one? Make the most of the weak draft. Two teams took Gs in the top 10 so I'd prefer not to argue that you don't take them that high.

Teams like Pittsburgh have guys fall to them in the middle or late parts of the round not because they're lucky or because they handle Thursday night better per se, but because they make the right decisions far more often every year and don't have to reach and gamble.

Oh... and I like the Vikings aggressiveness in getting back into 1st round for Patterson, but damn if you're not better off dealing with Tony Soprano than the effing loan sharking Patriots.

Lastly, I hope the Browns don't reference 'character issues' as a reason for not selecting any given player. Not with their owner in the room anyway.

Wichu Peeker. Crummy draft. You can't draft who ain't there.

But having said that the FO got all projecty-projectiony-workouty-metricy from the guy who brought you "the Box" in the 90's. They eschewed the ability to make lemons into lemonaide and went for the high risk-high reward pick. I'll see your good point about OGs and raise you DT's as well. This one has Mike Lombardi written all over it and for anyone that thought he was the water boy; guess again.

They didn't play it safe. They went balls-to-the wall for upside. In one sense, good for them. better to fail with convictions that fail in confusion. My concern is that I don't think this kid is a Football Player in the sense he has football skills and technique. So they hope that he can learn and is coachable and the staff harnesses all his raw athletic ability.

Kinda like Tristan Thompson.

I think CDT said it best.
jb

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:02 pm

Not a huge fan of Mingo, would definitely have preferred a trade back for JJ (assuming they could get one), but as much as I'm meh about his selection I still prefer him to "safe picks" Milliner, Warmack, and Cooper.

I still maintain that if by the luck of the gods Mingo is good, he makes a much bigger impact than those safe picks, who would be nice to have but don't turn this team around in any meaningful way. This team could draft "safe players" for a decade and still be shit - they need some playmakers.

Just a crappy draft all around, really.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:10 pm

HoodooMan wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Clearly I read the draft results wrong then.

Teams have used 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks on kickers and punters, too.

This is your standard of good sense?

Again, not a very good historian. I'll go back and check and see when two kickers or punters went in the first round. I'll just check the top ten picks in each draft since...I guess forever... and take a look.

Point is I'll take five years of a player regarded by almost all who watched them as immediate NFL ready and NFL impactful over a coin flip guy. Specifically because my LT and RB and QB (if he is that) also have life spans of about 5 more years.

And for a franchise that's a joke, drafting impact players and building the interior of both the OL and DL would be better than pitching dimes and taking flyers.

More specifically I do it in this draft where there are no consensus studs other than at the G position.

But we can go this route again. If the last 14 years have shown us anything it's that hoping and speculating has been kind to the Browns.

FWiW, I also think Sharrif Floyd goes down as best defensive player in the draft in 10-12 years looking back.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:16 pm

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Wichu Peeker. Crummy draft. You can't draft who ain't there.

But having said that the FO got all projecty-projectiony-workouty-metricy from the guy who brought you "the Box" in the 90's. They eschewed the ability to make lemons into lemonaide and went for the high risk-high reward pick. I'll see your good point about OGs and raise you DT's as well. This one has Mike Lombardi written all over it and for anyone that thought he was the water boy; guess again.

They didn't play it safe. They went balls-to-the wall for upside. In one sense, good for them. better to fail with convictions that fail in confusion. My concern is that I don't think this kid is a Football Player in the sense he has football skills and technique. So they hope that he can learn and is coachable and the staff harnesses all his raw athletic ability.

Kinda like Tristan Thompson.

I think CDT said it best.

I get ya. I do. I understand and I'm more 'Meh' than anything. I'm not bent about. I just think I would have gone for the best "surest" thing at that point and in this specific draft.

I get the value issues of the G. I agree in 98% of the cases. But not in this draft. Shit, if you truly wanted the most impact then Austin may have been the better pick. Eiffert too. Those guys are probably force multipliers for your offense. Austin is a threat from any spot on any down and Eiffert gives you (theoretically) a very dangerous two TE set.

If you're living and dying with Weeden then you better have weapons around him that are elite (I've grown to hate that word).

YMMV

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:33 pm

Guess they are living for 2014+.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:41 pm

peeker643 wrote:Again, not a very good historian. I'll go back and check and see when two kickers or punters went in the first round. I'll just check the top ten picks in each draft since...I guess forever... and take a look.

Really? You're really doubling down on this? You're that stubborn?

Be obsessed with line play, overvalue the position, just, anything but this. ::doh::

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby bac5665 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:51 pm

This was a solid pic. The only problem with it is that it wasn't the best possible scenario.

Seriously, for a bunch of people complaining that the Browns were going to take a QB round 1, you all are quick to dump on a pick that is highly likely to help this team a lot for years to come. Our defense, assuming we can find 1 CB somewhere, should be pretty damn good. And the offense, well, no additional talent available really helps there. Either Weeds and the WR corp we have develop or they don't. Adding another rookie WR to the mix doesn't really change that.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:07 pm

bac5665 wrote:This was a solid pic. The only problem with it is that it wasn't the best possible scenario.

Seriously, for a bunch of people complaining that the Browns were going to take a QB round 1, you all are quick to dump on a pick that is highly likely to help this team a lot for years to come. Our defense, assuming we can find 1 CB somewhere, should be pretty damn good. And the offense, well, no additional talent available really helps there. Either Weeds and the WR corp we have develop or they don't. Adding another rookie WR to the mix doesn't really change that.

Highly likely? Thats not at all how I would describe Mingos chances of helping this defense a lot for years to come.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:12 pm

HoodooMan wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Again, not a very good historian. I'll go back and check and see when two kickers or punters went in the first round. I'll just check the top ten picks in each draft since...I guess forever... and take a look.

Be obsessed with line play, overvalue the position, just, anything but this. ::doh::

Comparing Ps and Ks with Gs isn't as obtuse?

And the point you're making I understand completely. However, that comprehension (or attempt) apparently isn't something you'd prefer to reciprocate.

Because you can't seem to fight your way out of the stereotypical approach yourself. I'd prefer those drafting for my team at least have enough understanding of the draft and the talent in it to step outside the normal paradigm of what values are attached to specific positions when the draft itself begs them to do so.

In 19 years out of 20 you apply your value system. In one year out of 20, when the circumstances and planets align to require a different view, yeah, I'd prefer to look at things differently as opposed to shoving the square peg in the round hole and hope for the best.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:33 pm

You two should just fight. Peeks has crunchy knees and ankles, but Hiko's body is probably more ravaged by years of neglect and chemical abuse. So it seems pretty even.

We doin' this?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby jb » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:04 pm

HoodooMan wrote:

It's Peeker. And you actually ask? ;-)
jb

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:07 pm

peeker643 wrote:Comparing Ps and Ks with Gs isn't as obtuse?

Before this year and since 1988, the number of OGs taken before pick #21 is 10 (only one in the Top 10); the number of kickers taken in the first three rounds is 9; the number of punters taken in the first three rounds is 8.

So, no, I don't think comparing the selection of an OG in the Top 10 to the selection of a kicker or punter in the first three rounds is an obtuse one.

And I'm pretty sure I understand the preference for a safer prospect at a less valued position, but do we really have to drop all the way from risky pass rusher to comfy-safe guard (the value of which I'd put dead last out of the non-specialist positions)? Not in the Top 10, not ever, no, you don't. The shape of that draft class hole has yet to appear, and I don't suspect it ever will.

ETA: and FTR, as always, the safeness of a prospect can be a lot more perception than reality. The last OG prospect regarded as highly as Warmack was probably the great Shawn Andrews. The one OG taken in the Top 10 since 1988--Chris Naeole!
Last edited by HoodooMan on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:08 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:You two should just fight. Peeks has crunchy knees and ankles, but Hiko's body is probably more ravaged by years of neglect and chemical abuse. So it seems pretty even.

We doin' this?

It does seem like an argument he and I would have, but that one's Peeks and Hoodoo.

And I need to go on a Rocky-esque training montage before I go fighting anyone.

Hikohadon

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:24 pm

We know what the Browns need. The quickest and easiest fix to stop sucking is one thing and one thing only.

Unfortunately this year the QB's all suck. So that's not even an option on the table.

Hopefully by this time next year we're discussing how awesome it is to see Ted holding up that 1 Jersey or some other random QB that just has a freak of nature season.

My bet is that we're in this position again with an improved defense, but an offense that is hampered by not having that one important thing. I think that Mingo will contribute on that aforementioned defense, but he won't be a Terrell Suggs/Von Miller type that's feared by most of the league. He'll be alright though.

The secondary is weak, and I'm sure with the amount of time the offense is likely to screw things up either via a Weeden turnover or by 3 and outs. I also don't have a lot of faith that Richardson can stay healthy, and I wonder about his importance today in this version of the NFL.

So yeah, we're likely headed for another 5-11 season. Barring Weeds morphing into a Matt Schaub clone. I'm just hoping that we're not stuck in a situation like 2012 where we were not even close to be within reach to get an elite QB.

Triple-S

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:29 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:

Not at all. Myself and many others were advocating a Browns trade down to get Jarvis and a pick. Its not just hindsight.

Supposedly the Browns had 3 trade down partners. Miami traded ahead of us, so they were out. I have no idea who the other 2 were. Likely not as high as Miami was drafting.

Two after us the Bills traded down from 8 to 16. You'd have to think that trade or better would have been available to us. Jones went at 17 to the Steelers.

The "hindsight" to this discussion is the gamble that Jones would be available at 16. I would have guessed he would not have been available at the time. I didn't think he'd slide that far. So its easy for us to say in hindsight that we coulda had him at 16.

So to better ASSURE that Jones would be available in a trade down, we woulda had to trade down not quite so far as 16. We don't know how many (if any) trade partners were available after Miami traded ahead of us.

My goal was Milliner or trade down. Both were options.
OldDawg

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:30 pm

HoodooMan wrote:Before this year and since 1988, the number of OGs taken before pick #21 is 10 (only one in the Top 10); the number of kickers taken in the first three rounds is 9; the number of punters taken in the first three rounds is 8.

On further review, I concede this disagreement to Peeker on the grounds that the above sentence is a complete disaster.

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:17 am

I don't understand at all why I'm fighting Hiko because I understand but disagree with Hoodoo about preferring a G to a guy who arguably isn't even the best guy at his position still on the board.

Not to mention that two teams actually taking Gs in the top ten pretty much says Hoodoo is negligent per se on that matter (less so given one team was the Cardinals and the other once upon a first round time actually took Jake Locker, so there's that).

But what is perfectly clear is that jb is still a pot-stirring knob. :nanner:

Shoulda just taken a fucking punter. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:29 am

Had to be the Cardinals or Raiders.....or perhaps the Browns that wound up with the Honey Badger.

Seen about a half dozen interviews with that guy and Christ, he's got a long way to go just to be merely a moron. No way that guy can follow concepts or have the amount of discipline needed for this level, let alone stay out of trouble.

There's a reason several teams alledgedly just crossed him off their boards post interview.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:35 am

leadpipe wrote:Had to be the Cardinals or Raiders.....or perhaps the Browns that wound up with the Honey Badger.

Seen about a half dozen interviews with that guy and Christ, he's got a long way to go just to be merely a moron. No way that guy can follow concepts or have the amount of discipline needed for this level, let alone stay out of trouble.

There's a reason several teams alledgedly just crossed him off their boards post interview.

They already moved him to free safety. "Find ball, get ball". Probably the right move given he's not exactly a graduate school candidate.

peeker643
Duly Noted

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL