Text Size

The Neutral Zone

2013 Blue Jackets Season Thread

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Re: 2013 Blue Jackets Season Thread

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:56 am

I don't follow, but it does make me happy to see them doing well, what with the beating that franchise has taken.

What is the atmosphere like in Columbus right now? Is the city behind them or is it more "meh"? I remember, must have been 8 or so years ago, CBJ games were rated the 2nd best game experience. Then a few years later you'd hear rumors about them moving out of Columbus. So, I was just wondering if the city was going nuts.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:20 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I don't follow, but it does make me happy to see them doing well, what with the beating that franchise has taken.

What is the atmosphere like in Columbus right now? Is the city behind them or is it more "meh"? I remember, must have been 8 or so years ago, CBJ games were rated the 2nd best game experience. Then a few years later you'd hear rumors about them moving out of Columbus. So, I was just wondering if the city was going nuts.

CBJ games are pound for pound the best in-game experience in the state. OSU football games are amazing , but because it's so expensive to attend I don't think you get the bang-for your buck as a CBJ game, unless you're getting student tickets. OSU bball games are great because the team is generally good, but I can't think of a worse venue for a sporting event then The Shot. As for the three Ctown teams , I think the Tribe is the closest , but still lacks the energy and amenities of Nationwide.

As for fan interest it's without a doubt up with the winning. But you have to remember that Columbus is a weird town as far as fan interest go, because so many of the people who live here are transplants. Every one is a die-hard OSU fan , but professional interests is all over the place ( mainly split between cincy fans, and Cleveland fans (and of course your bandwagon Steelers, Cowboys, and 49rs fans). People who live and work in Columbus , are generaly pumped for the CBJ, the games are now must see-TV in every non-campus bar. The problem is the 56,000 College kids who live here as transients, If you can get them to get into the CBJ, then this town would be exploding right now, but in order for that to happen the CBJ is going to have to make major in-roads into the Cleveland and Cincy Markets.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:20 pm

motherscratcher wrote:What is the atmosphere like in Columbus right now? Is the city behind them or is it more "meh"? I remember, must have been 8 or so years ago, CBJ games were rated the 2nd best game experience. Then a few years later you'd hear rumors about them moving out of Columbus. So, I was just wondering if the city was going nuts.

Right now, it's pretty good. But they were having weeknight crowds of close to or less than 10,000 last year. I know that as an outsider, I still love the Arena District. I love Columbus in general. I always have a great time every time I make the drive down 71. I think they'll be loved again in the city now that they have a competent front office. It's a smart fan base for being relatively new to hockey and they weren't happy with what was going on, and rightfully so.

They almost left because of a bad arena agreement with the city. It really didn't have a lot to do with attendance. Ownership was hemorrhaging money because of their arena lease and city government had to step in to fix the situation.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:34 am

Looks like I am going to be a big Kings fan for the next two nights, they play Minnesota tonight , and Detroit Tomorrow both on the road. With an extra game to play , Detroit is still in the drivers seat for the 8th spot , got to hope they trip up, or Minnesota gets no better then 3 out of 6 points in there remaining three games.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:40 am

This team has been a blast to watch for the great part of 2 months. Bob has been uberhuman between the pipes and watching Johansen turn into a defensive stalwart facing the oppositions top lines is remarkable. Kid is playing like a Selke nominee 10 years his elder which was never suppose to be part of his game.

I'm not sure I buy the "they're young and working on adrenaline take". This team is 18-5-6 since the middle of February which to me speaks volumes of the moves made by management and this team developing chemistry. Officer Bob has a ton to do with this (and should rightfully be a Vezina/Hart candidate if they make the playoffs) but the defense is great and we are getting scoring from every single line which is a mark of a good/deep team. I've posted some links to HF boards as well as one showing a statistical breakdown of playoff %.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1396457&page=22

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

There are a ton of different scenarios but the easy recipe for CBJ - win out and hope Detroit loses one game in regulation. That will guarantee us a spot. We could theoretically clinch as early as Thurday if Det loses back to back to LA/Nash and we beat Dallas. I won't jink it or hold my breath and just hope............
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:22 am

It sucks that we could win out , in regulation , and still miss the playoffs.

The scoring system needs to be overhauled. A win in regulation or 4 on 4 should be worth more then a shootout win. (and yes I realize that would probably screw over the CBJ this season)

-It should be 3 pts for a regulation or 4 on 4 win
-0 points for a regulation or 4 on 4 loss
-1 point for a shoot out loss
-2 points for winning the shoot out

In all honesty I am all for just scrapping shootouts, and calling it a tie after a 5 min. 4 on 4. and going back to the old scoring system.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:37 pm

This team was one of the league leaders in attendance it's first 5 years, and those were TERRIBLE teams. But that new luster was knocked right off by the poor play and lack of leadership or direction.

The most important thing you can understand about Columbus is, it's a blue collar city. We don't want fancy pants divas like Jeff Carter, we want guys who'll dive in front of the puck.

The Buckeyes will always be king, that's just how it is. But there's plenty of eager eyeballs out there for a competitive hockey team, they will fill the seats and pay the ridiculous prices, IF you give them something watch.

They're headed in the right direction now, and city is taking notice.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:51 am

Attendance this year has been up big. I went to three games this year, and all three where sell outs. Most of it is no doubt do to the winning, but its also the overall positive outlook for the franchise first with the Arena deal which ends all speculation of the team ever moving (at least for the next 30 yrs), and then followed by the hiring of John Davidson, and Jarmo. Its the first time since the first few years of the franchise , where you get a strong sense the team is headed in the right direction ( a complete 360 from the general feeling of the team a year ago )

Anyway Minnesota's win last night all but assures them a playoff spot, and, unless they suffer a epic collapse probably gets them the 7 seed . Now its up to the CBJ to keep on winning, and Detroit to slip up in one of there 3 remaining games. Dallas is now all but eliminated.

LA @ DET Tonight 7:30p NBCSN
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:35 am

The Arena District is very nice, I like to go early for games and just walk around, get a beer here and there. It's pricey, but the atmosphere is really fun.

Mayor Mike Coleman is the man. I hope he runs for governor.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:20 pm

Comes down to Saturday. Jackets need help from a Stars team that may not give a shit. That 5-12-2 start really looms large now.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:10 am

Playoffs or no, this really has been fun to watch. If Detroit wins, I'll be disappointed but happy to have even been in the position to fight for the 7th seed. Its great momentum going into next year and these young kids have learned how to WIN. Cam, Matty, RyJo and Dalton have turned a corner and with Murray being in the fold, this team should have high expectations next year. RyJo's two way game has been the gold star for me. From being sent down last season to playing the other teams top line and doing more than holding his own at 20 years old is remarkable.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:45 pm

CBJ getting some help tonight. Minnesota getting blasted at home against Edmonton. They'll be completely tied with CBJ with a loss. They have a back-to-back tomorrow night in the altitude in Colorado. That's a tough spot for them. If the Avalanche come to play, that could be a very difficult game for the Wild. The Jackets may sneak into the playoffs that way.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:13 pm

So close. They played balls out and they're only going to get better next year. They only have 5 guys on their roster over the age of 30, and they have 3 first round picks.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:20 pm

An effort to be proud of. They'll be better because of it next season.

Now let Davidson and Kekalainen work their magic.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Previous

Return to The Neutral Zone