Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Today's the day: Call

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Today's the day: Call

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:14 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
bac5665 wrote:Am I the only one here who hasn't given up on Weeden? He showed flashes of potential while dealing with the worst coach in the league and, later, a team that quit. Give him year two and a competent coach (no guarantee that we have that, but...) and I think he has a shot. Certainly a better shot than any other available option.

I want a pass rusher with #6, or a trade down.

This might be true, but it is easier and safer just to give up on any Browns QB right from the get.

Ultimately probably correct. But not my history. I was sucked in on Couch, Quinn, etc. Never on Weeden, though. Pre-disposed to hating him. Maybe it is because of his red hair. Or because he's stupid and couldn't lead ants to picnic.

I'm not sure. I'll go with the hair thing.

But I might actually prefer seeing him under center than Geno. What's that tell you? In fact, I think Geno may actually be 2012 Weeden. I'd take him if he fell to me somewhere in 2nd, but anywhere else? Blech... ;-) ;) :wink:

I'm not sure I'd know what to do with myself if the Browns actually acquired a QB that I REALLY liked.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:18 pm

So...the latest from a "league source" is that "Joe Banner is in the driver's seat" for the entire NFL Draft.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.ph ... t_id=16911

He has talked to almost every team...and no one knows what he's going to do...and one figures he's loving all the attention and drama of it all.

Just. Fucking. Great.

As my nephew just said on Twitter..."just because you're in the driver's seat, doesn't mean you're not going off the cliff"
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:24 pm

danwismar wrote:So...the latest from a "league source" is that "Joe Banner is in the driver's seat" for the entire NFL Draft.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.ph ... t_id=16911

He has talked to almost every team...and no one knows what he's going to do...and one figures he's loving all the attention and drama of it all.

Just. Fucking. Great.

As my nephew just said on Twitter..."just because you're in the driver's seat, doesn't mean you're not going off the cliff"

Totally agree, although, at this point, knowing Jim Bob and the decisions he makes and Lombardi and the decisions he makes... I guess Banner calling the shots is the best of a bad situation.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:26 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
bac5665 wrote:Am I the only one here who hasn't given up on Weeden? He showed flashes of potential while dealing with the worst coach in the league and, later, a team that quit. Give him year two and a competent coach (no guarantee that we have that, but...) and I think he has a shot. Certainly a better shot than any other available option.

This might be true, but it is easier and safer just to give up on any Browns QB right from the get.

Ultimately probably correct. But not my history. I was sucked in on Couch, Quinn, etc. Never on Weeden, though. Pre-disposed to hating him. Maybe it is because of his red hair. Or because he's stupid and couldn't lead ants to picnic.

But I might actually prefer seeing him under center than Geno. What's that tell you? In fact, I think Geno may actually be 2012 Weeden. I'd take him if he fell to me somewhere in 2nd, but anywhere else? Blech... ;-) ;) :wink:

I'm not sure I'd know what to do with myself if the Browns actually acquired a QB that I REALLY liked.

I thought you and JB were all about public displays of affection the day the Browns drafted Quinn?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:32 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

I thought you and JB were all about public displays of affection the day the Browns drafted Quinn?

I'd left by the time they took him, so my display was entirely private.
Hikohadon

Unread postby bac5665 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:39 pm

Wow, this place is negative these days. Amazes me.

The actual team we have has about as much talent as any team since the return. We got rid of the worst coach in the league and replaced him with a guy who at least has a shot of doing some good.

Yeah, the FO is a huge question mark. No doubt. We'll have to see how it plays out. Tonight should give us some impression. But so far, they haven't made too many bad moves.

All we need is for Weeden to flip the switch and for Chud to actually know what he's doing. Do that and fill a few more holes with this draft and we'll be off and running.

Now, how possible is any of that? I don't know. I think Weeds can flip the switch. He has all of the tools physically and he had the disadvantage of the worst play calling of in the league last year. So I want to see what he can do.

Do I love him, no. I expect him to fail. But I have hope that he can succeed. Same with Chud.

But damn, this board is negative these days. It's draft night. There are several players who will be available at 6 who can really help this team. Christ, but stop giving up this regime before it begins. That's just sad.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:50 pm

Thanks for the pep talk. My season ticket invoice is due on May 1.

26 years.

And you say things are looking up?

Got it.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:55 pm

bac5665 wrote:Wow, this place is negative these days. Amazes me.

The actual team we have has about as much talent as any team since the return. We got rid of the worst coach in the league and replaced him with a guy who at least has a shot of doing some good.

Yeah, the FO is a huge question mark. No doubt. We'll have to see how it plays out. Tonight should give us some impression. But so far, they haven't made too many bad moves.

All we need is for Weeden to flip the switch and for Chud to actually know what he's doing. Do that and fill a few more holes with this draft and we'll be off and running.

Now, how possible is any of that? I don't know. I think Weeds can flip the switch. He has all of the tools physically and he had the disadvantage of the worst play calling of in the league last year. So I want to see what he can do.

Do I love him, no. I expect him to fail. But I have hope that he can succeed. Same with Chud.

But damn, this board is negative these days. It's draft night. There are several players who will be available at 6 who can really help this team. Christ, but stop giving up this regime before it begins. That's just sad.

I like the cut of your jib here, bac. I'm sticking with you. Nothing but positivity from me right now. Like you said, it's draft night. The C-Town Superbowl!

I'm happy for at least teh next 4 hours.

And no matter what happens, the twitterverse will be outstanding.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby bac5665 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:57 pm

I'm just saying that the doom and gloom of this forum is over the top.

Are we good? No. But we have the best outlook we've had in a while and yet people here are talking like things are worse than ever. Just gets frustrating to listen too for an entire offseason.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:59 pm

bac5665 wrote:I'm just saying that the doom and gloom of this forum is over the top.

Are we good? No. But we have the best outlook we've had in a while and yet people here are talking like things are worse than ever. Just gets frustrating to listen too for an entire offseason.

I wasn't kidding. I agree with this.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:47 pm

My mother always told me, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

/End thread
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:52 pm

Have to go D with #6. There are some legitimate defensive playas in the top 15. I'm with the Mingo/Jordan=Kam group. Oddly I think Ziggy will be solid.

Milliner would be a great pick.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby justmebd » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:09 pm

I think the Geno Smith rumor is just smoke and mirrors. I'm not taking any of it seriously.

It could entice someone to trade up, it could be the honest truth.

Honestly, since I firmly believe we'll be under new ownership -- and therefore a new front office/coaching staff by this time next year, it just doesn't matter.

I'll watch the draft for the entertainment value, but I'm done getting excited about anything unless and until there really is something to get excited about.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:13 pm

justmebd wrote:I think the Geno Smith rumor is just smoke and mirrors. I'm not taking any of it seriously.

It could entice someone to trade up, it could be the honest truth.

Honestly, since I firmly believe we'll be under new ownership -- and therefore a new front office/coaching staff by this time next year, it just doesn't matter.

I'll watch the draft for the entertainment value, but I'm done getting excited about anything unless and until there really is something to get excited about.

The funniest thing about the rumor of the Browns trading up to 3 to draft Smith before Philly does, is that who the heck really thinks Philly is drafting Geno at 4 anyways?
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:19 pm

The owner is about to be indicted and is, at best, either an ignorant asshole or a vile piece of shit. The CEO is a numbers/business guy who fancies himself a football man. That same guy hired a 'GM' who has no final say on and who was so much of a dick that he couldn't get a front office job for five years despite his 'brilliance'. The Head Coach was interviewed by no other team and was hired before the Super Bowl was played and all candidates could be interviewed.

The QB was a panic pick by last April's regime and he's a hayseed with no leadership skills and the intelligence of a newt, the running back that last April's regime needlessly traded up for dances like Astaire, has the top speed of Astaire and was injured for most of last season. The defense blew goats and has now changed philosophies, the stud CB is actually less mature now than he was when drafted and was suspended for drug use, the one player on the team worth a shit left for a one year deal and $2.5million dollars and was freaking kicker.

The team is on its third head coach in the last 4 seasons, hasn't won 6 games since 2007 and who is a national and local joke.

But aside from that they're cool and I'm really excited.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby justmebd » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:29 pm

peeker643 wrote:The owner is about to be indicted and is, at best, either an ignorant asshole or a vile piece of shit. The CEO is a numbers/business guy who fancies himself a football man. That same guy hired a 'GM' who has no final say on and who was so much of a dick that he couldn't get a front office job for five years despite his 'brilliance'. The Head Coach was interviewed by no other team and was hired before the Super Bowl was played and all candidates could be interviewed.

The QB was a panic pick by last April's regime and he's a hayseed with no leadership skills and the intelligence of a newt, the running back that last April's regime needlessly traded up for dances like Astaire, has the top speed of Astaire and was injured for most of last season. The defense blew goats and has now changed philosophies, the stud CB is actually less mature now than he was when drafted and was suspended for drug use, the one player on the team worth a shit left for a one year deal and $2.5million dollars and was freaking kicker.

The team is on its third head coach in the last 4 seasons, hasn't won 6 games since 2007 and who is a national and local joke.

Epic . . . Simply Epic (Stands and applauds)
justmebd

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:29 pm

Heard Banner say the Browns have a player identified at #6 that they are hopeful to select and that he believes it's 65% chance the guy will be there when they pick.

I can't imagine he's being honest or that, if he is, that would be Geno Smith. Who the hell is taking Smith before the Browns would be dopey enough to do so?

To me that sounds like it's Milliner.

He did also say they have three trade down partners depending how first five selections go.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:38 pm

Me. I am still in the Milliner or trade down camp. That's me.
OldDawg

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:57 pm

peeker643 wrote:The owner is about to be indicted and is, at best, either an ignorant asshole or a vile piece of shit. The CEO is a numbers/business guy who fancies himself a football man. That same guy hired a 'GM' who has no final say on and who was so much of a dick that he couldn't get a front office job for five years despite his 'brilliance'. The Head Coach was interviewed by no other team and was hired before the Super Bowl was played and all candidates could be interviewed.

THERE'S A LOOONG DRIVE TO DEEEP CENTER FIELD, WAAAAAAAY BACK...GONE!
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:01 pm

And Honey Badger is a playa.

High stakes gamble, but keep him under your thumb and it's a big win for someone.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:06 pm

Namath is drunk. Where's Suzy?
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby OrganFreeman » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:12 pm

I do look forward to seeing what approach Boomer's hairdresser uses to simulate "hair" on a dome that has been whistlin' clean since the 90's. And where is SuZy?
Doc Freeman
OrganFreeman

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Hawk Harrelson

Unread postby idoctribefan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:16 pm

love the draft. I attended all three days of last year's draft. Attending the draft is something every NFL fan should do once in his/her life. Thurs and Fri are giant parties. I thought it'd be really boring (Saturday was EXTREMELY boring), but the first two nights are great. I don't plan on ever doing it again...we had such a great time last year that we figured going again would be a letdown b/c the experience couldn't be topped (regardless of the Weeden pick, which I booed passionately).
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby ClevelandFanInNewYork » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:31 pm

I think it will be Dion Jordan if we don't trade down.
ClevelandFanInNewYork

Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: Any New Yorker

Unread postby justmebd » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:32 pm

Wow, these teams just can't WAIT to make their picks.

All this waiting for a trade down just tells you how loaded with talent these GMs think this draft really has.

EDIT: It took all of five seconds for this post to be completely irrelevant.
justmebd

Unread postby ClevelandFanInNewYork » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:35 pm

So much for my Jordan pick. It has to be a trade down now to get value.

I could live with Ansah or Mingo though.
Last edited by ClevelandFanInNewYork on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClevelandFanInNewYork

Unread postby idoctribefan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:36 pm

miami must still be going after Brandon Albert from KC
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:44 pm

Get ready for Kivi
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:45 pm

Miami was a potential trade partner. No.
Lane Johnson was trade bate. No
Crap.
OldDawg

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:47 pm

bac5665 wrote:I'm just saying that the doom and gloom of this forum is over the top.

Agree. Clownys gonna be awesome.
jb

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:51 pm

We got some good options available!! Milliner, please
OldDawg

Unread postby fairvis » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:52 pm

On the clock now... let's get Milliner.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:53 pm

Can they draft Barry Sanders?
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:53 pm

Lets do Milliner!
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:54 pm

Fairley, Suh, Ansah.

Block that shit.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:55 pm

Draft Joe Namath
OldDawg

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:55 pm

Mingo !?! He never dominated anybody
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Unread postby ClevelandFanInNewYork » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:55 pm

Pick is in quickly! Mingo!!!!
ClevelandFanInNewYork

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:57 pm

Why are these guys with 4 and 5 sacks going ahead of Jarvis Jones?
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby fairvis » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:57 pm

I'm completely OK with this.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:57 pm

Bingo Mingo.

There it is.
Last edited by Erie Warrior on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:58 pm

Not a QB :cheers:
kman_holla8

Unread postby Big_Lu » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:59 pm

That blows...Weeden blows...the whole team blows!
Big_Lu

Favorite Player: Omar Vizquel
Least Favorite Player: LeBron

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:00 pm

What the hell kind of name is Barkevious?
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:02 pm

Right position wrong player.

Kam Junior
jb

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:03 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:What the hell kind of name is Barkevious?

Like Django but the B isn't silent.
jb

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:04 pm

Big_Lu wrote:That blows...Weeden blows...the whole team blows!

Right. We shoulda picked Geno. :lmfao:
jb

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:07 pm

Somebody wake me up for our next pick.....
OldDawg

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:07 pm

RT @TIM_MAYsports: Mingo from same hometown as the Duck Dynasty guys.

^ going to fit in w/ Cleveland REAL well.....
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:08 pm

He's the most freakish physical specimen I've ever seen at LSU, but on the other side of the coin LSU first rounders have been traditionally disappointing. So who knows?

I like him though, and hope he does well for y'all. KeKe Mingo, here we go!
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL