Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Today's the day: Call

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Today's the day: Call

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:20 am

The Browns bled to death last season in many close games from 1,000 cuts. Mostly due to the fact they lacked the Shao-lin pass rush and the D is a buncha NyQuils and Ty Rubin sorts. They know the lack of Wu Tang is fatal and they will never defeat the dragon style atack.

If Dion Jordan is there they take him and don't look back. If he's gone, it will be Anseh over Mingo. If Detroit gets Ziggy Stardust, get ready to watch Mingo fit right in with the personality of the defense and we got Kam Jr.

I don't think they can pull off the trade down, but obviously the key to the Browns is the 3 tackles & where they go. As they go, so goes Jordan and the trade down potential.

For the second pick we move back up to ensure we get one of the 8 or so CB's the team thinks are all about the same. Even Lomtardi must know they must come out of this draft with a CB.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Today's the day: Call

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:16 am

My thought earlier was Milliner or bust. If he's not there, trade down. But I am hearing that CBs is a deep position in the draft, but an elite one can be a difference maker.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:39 am

OldDawg wrote:My thought earlier was Milliner or bust. If he's not there, trade down. But I am hearing that CBs is a deep position in the draft, but an elite one can be a difference maker.

Don't we already have an (allegedly) elite one? Wouldn't Haden and another solid CB fill that position nicely? Nt sure we have to use the 6th pick for that.

It wouldn't be a BAD thing necessarily, but wouldn't our limited resources be better allocated elsewhere when this draft is apparently CB rich?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:49 am

I don't think Milliner is regarded as elite.

Being the best in this draft (and better than anyone lese other than Haden the Browns have) isn't the same as being a can't miss, Pro Bowl, elite guy.

I'm hoping they take Geno so I can watch the world melt on a Thursday night.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:02 am

Jordan is prob the one I'd want most, followed by Ansah (love his versatility and potential), then JJ (and the fact that he might be had via tradedown makes him more enticing), with Mingo in 4th.

Out of Pass Rushers, that is.

Geno would make me shake my head, but I wouldn't lose my shit. I'm way closer to just giving up. But I'd rather they take Manuel at 6 (a big overrreach) than Geno at 12, if that helps clarify how much I like Geno at this point.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:07 am

I want a camera on Weeden.

Because it'll be great if the Browns take Geno and the camera gets no anger or outward emotion from Weeden.

I just want the dumbfounded, everyday, walkabout look on his face to be on the screen. The complete lack of recognition of anything that's going on. Til his wife comes over and whispers in his ear, maybe draws him a picture with one of his crayons he's playing with and THEN he looks shocked and angered and jumps up and down like Warren in 'Something About Mary'.

Is that too much to ask for on draft night?

I mean, if they're going to fuck up the pick (and they are), I want to at least have some fun.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:12 am

Trade up for Eddie Lacy.

Then swing back and take Barkley.

This is only if a slow guy that can't even block that plays both FB and LB is not available early.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:13 am

motherscratcher wrote:
OldDawg wrote:My thought earlier was Milliner or bust. If he's not there, trade down. But I am hearing that CBs is a deep position in the draft, but an elite one can be a difference maker.

Don't we already have an (allegedly) elite one? Wouldn't Haden and another solid CB fill that position nicely? Nt sure we have to use the 6th pick for that.

It wouldn't be a BAD thing necessarily, but wouldn't our limited resources be better allocated elsewhere when this draft is apparently CB rich?

That's why I mentioned "my thought earlier" because of the depth at CB. I am hedging on my stance now. All the buzz out of the combine was Milliner's 40 time. That buzz has died down some, but I still would be happy with that pick. I also thought we had addressed LB in FA, but I guess not enough as we transition to the 3-4. My limited reading also made me think he was even more "can't miss" than the LBs in discussion. It just seemed that the LB ratings weren't as clear cut as Milliner was at CB.
Just sign me up for Mad-dog-in-a-meat-market Junkin at LB!!

I still think we trade down.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:19 am

leadpipe wrote:Trade up for Eddie Lacy.

Then swing back and take Barkley.

This is only if a slow guy that can't even block that plays both FB and LB is not available early.

That was like 12 months and 2 1/2 regimes ago. How long are we going to hang on to these things? And I'm not sure you can ever have enough slow, small/stout RBs who lack high end speed and explosiveness from Alabama taking the rock from a 1st round QB that can't play.

That's depth. And if you have redundancy like that at every position it makes it easier to count on the same production if the starter goes down.

;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:32 am

Probably trading down, and netting themselves a 2nd rounder.

Then picking up some "meh" DE/OLB that'll end up being very average.

I too am rooting for the Geno pick because of the sheer meltdown it's going to cause.

This team is a disaster. At least the Indy 500 is in a month.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:39 am

I agree with those that feel that drafting Geno will be very entertaining... for tonight.

It won't be so entertaining come Game 6 or 7 when the stadium is half-empty and the product on the field is barely watchable.

(Of course, I say that like it won't happen regardless who they pick).

I guess it is so unappealing since taking a Geno means this if/when he sucks you're stuck with him for 3 years, whereas if/when Weeden sucks again you know he's gone next year.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:43 am

Hikohadon wrote:I guess it is so unappealing since taking a Geno means this if/when he sucks you're stuck with him for 3 years, whereas if/when Weeden sucks again you know he's gone next year.

That's what we said last season when Weeden was drafted. And yet here we are. And when the new owner comes in next year he'll want his own guys who will want their own QB.

Which we also said last year. But not til October.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:45 am

does geno at least have some sort of upside?

I know the Browns will mess that up, but is there even sort of potential to you know...be "Better" than Weeds.

I think either way we're drafting in the top 12 next year.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:52 am

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/team/13 ... t-the.html

This would probably be pretty close to the worst move in the draft.

Triple-S

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:53 am

peeker643 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:I guess it is so unappealing since taking a Geno means this if/when he sucks you're stuck with him for 3 years, whereas if/when Weeden sucks again you know he's gone next year.

That's what we said last season when Weeden was drafted. And yet here we are. And when the new owner comes in next year he'll want his own guys who will want their own QB.

Even if we're only burdened with him for 1 year instead of 3, doesn't make me want them to... never mind, my give-a-damn just broke mid-sentence.
Hikohadon

Unread postby comish » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:55 am

peeker643 wrote:

What do you mean WE, white man?

I'm still holding out hope that Weeds can turn himself into a slightly above crappy starting QB
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:56 am

The draft spin on Lady Quinn was that he was good except with questionable accuracy. Questionable accuracy? No thanks.

Colt McCoy. Good, with questionable arm strength. Questionable arm strength? No thanks.

Tim Couch said he never had a playbook in college. Huh? No thanks.

They say Smith is good, but has a hard time making reads against tougher defenses. Huh? No thanks.

With as many busts we've drafted at QB, sign me up only for nearly can't miss QBs. If Smith can't play, he's another wasted draft pick. We can't waste any more draft picks.

If you're going QB, trade down and still don't pick a QB in round 1. Pick a Barkley or Nassib in round 2 with a pick you gained in the trade down. We can't afford risky round 1 picks in my opinion.
Last edited by OldDawg on Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldDawg

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:04 pm

Sigmund Bloom ‏@SigmundBloom 24s
Bedard also reports that #Browns GM Mike Lombardi pushed Belichick to take Mallett in 2011. Thinks 2013 2nd or 2014 1st gets it done.

"..You might think I'm crazy..I don't even care, there is no denying now. it's hip to be square".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvBAEp3Znn4

HEY JIMMY!

Triple-S

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:08 pm

OldDawg wrote:The draft spin on Lady Quinn was that he was good except with questionable accuracy. Questionable accuracy? No thanks.

Man, I have a very vivid memory of that draft. It was the year I resolved to never watch Chris Berman, ever again.

Watched it on NFLN. Mayock had a lot to say about Quinn. Said his accuracy problems stemmed from him lifting his back foot before his release of the ball. Sure enough, they showed footage of Quinn throwing, from the side and back. His back foot came off the ground, over and over. Accuracy bad.

So when he played with the Browns, I always watched for that. Never got better.

--

The call is Milliner. Ich Bin Ein Milliner. I would really like to know who put out the info on his medical history. It wasn't the player; wasn't the union; wasn't the agent. It was a team who wanted him to be available at their pick. I say it was Banner.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:10 pm

Triple-S wrote:Sigmund Bloom ‏@SigmundBloom 24s
Bedard also reports that #Browns GM Mike Lombardi pushed Belichick to take Mallett in 2011. Thinks 2013 2nd or 2014 1st gets it done.

"..You might think I'm crazy..I don't even care, there is no denying now. it's hip to be square".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvBAEp3Znn4

HEY JIMMY!

You want hilarious reaction? Trade a 2014 1st rd pick (which is a shoo-in for the Top 10) for Ryan Mallett!

Talk about putting a bullet in the head of the slowly dying interest in the Browns.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:19 pm

Hikohadon wrote:You want hilarious reaction? Trade a 2014 1st rd pick (which is a shoo-in for the Top 10) for Ryan Mallett!

Talk about putting a bullet in the head of the slowly dying interest in the Browns.

The attendance for a Browns game at that point would mirror a D-III women's soccer game.

At least you could sell the fanbase on Geno a bit. Same with Manuel.

At least you could kind of pass off Weeds starting with the hopes that next year they could draft an actual NFL caliber QB.

A FORMER 3RD ROUND PICK THAT HASN'T EVEN STARTED A GAME IN HIS TWO YEARS? The shere level of stupidity.

Triple-S

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:47 pm

googleeph2 wrote:The call is Milliner. Ich Bin Ein Milliner. I would really like to know who put out the info on his medical history. It wasn't the player; wasn't the union; wasn't the agent. It was a team who wanted him to be available at their pick. I say it was Banner.

Taking the playbook / mode of operations manual right from Pilot Flying J??
OldDawg

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:53 pm

Pardon my lack of OL concepts, here guys...
I get OLT is huge because you're protecting the QBs blind side. My guess that the ORT is a little smaller, more mobile run blocker? In the old days, I think OL guys got moved around much moreso than nowadays.
Are the positions of OLT and ORT incredibly different? Has any NFL team tried to convert an OLT to an ORT? With this year's draft, you might understand why I ask. Isn't ORT a concern for the Browns?
OldDawg

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:56 pm

Depends on scheme OD. RT is a big fat mauler in a power running scheme. In a zone based scheme he has to be more athletic but still stout enough to seal the edge.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:13 pm

OldDawg wrote:Pardon my lack of OL concepts, here guys...
I get OLT is huge because you're protecting the QBs blind side. My guess that the ORT is a little smaller, more mobile run blocker? In the old days, I think OL guys got moved around much moreso than nowadays.
Are the positions of OLT and ORT incredibly different? Has any NFL team tried to convert an OLT to an ORT? With this year's draft, you might understand why I ask. Isn't ORT a concern for the Browns?

Outside of game one, how was The Schwartz a problem?

Of all the many problems, I'd put ORT near OLT on this roster.

Now ORG? heh.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:29 pm

jb wrote:
OldDawg wrote:Pardon my lack of OL concepts, here guys...

Outside of game one, how was The Schwartz a problem?

Of all the many problems, I'd put ORT near OLT on this roster.

Now ORG? heh.

I don't think OD said it was a problem here, may have been a general statement given the buzz over all the OLTs in thedraft?

And yes, guys do occasionally change tackle spots. In Baltimore, Michael Oher has played both spots but you do typically find the positions require different attributes as noted above.

Generally you don't see RTs "develop" into LTs over years. But you will see teams with solid LTs draft a good one, play him at RT for a year and then move him over to LT while thoe other guy "drops' over to RT or leaves for another club.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:32 pm

The pick is going to be Geno Smith.

PFT's latest article is speculating we are attempting to get up to 3 to take him ahead of the Eagles. I just have no idea what we would be offering, especially if we trade for Bess. Perhaps today will be our only pick by the time they are done.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:44 pm

Ziner wrote:The pick is going to be Geno Smith.

PFT's latest article is speculating we are attempting to get up to 3 to take him ahead of the Eagles. I just have no idea what we would be offering, especially if we trade for Bess. Perhaps today will be our only pick by the time they are done.

I'm okay with that, as long as next years draft pick is still there.

At least Geno Smith has the potential to be a fun qb to watch.

Triple-S

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 pm

We cannot be serious here. WE ARE NOT GOING TO TRADE INTO THE TOP 3 TO DRAFT A QB THAT MANY QUESTION IS EVEN A FIRST ROUND PICK!!! PLEASE!!!

I can stomach trading BACK and drafting him. BUT NOT UP!!!

Pre-draft meltdown already!
OldDawg

Unread postby comish » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:00 pm

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily."

Otter
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:00 pm

Triple-S wrote:

You are OK... with them trading UP... to get GENO SMITH.

Geno wasn't much fun to watch in this game:

Hikohadon

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:03 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
Triple-S wrote:

You are OK... with them trading UP... to get GENO SMITH.

Geno wasn't much fun to watch in this game:

IF the option is either having Geno Smith under center or Ryan Mallet? Absolutely.

Especially if the Ryan Mallett scenario involves giving up the 2014 first rounder.

It's a game of "Would you rather". Pretty much choosing the lesser of two evils.

I don't want either..but if someone is holding a gun to my head, give me smith.

Triple-S

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:06 pm

Ah, well, Geno vs. Mallett is a different story.

If offered the option of a rusty knife vs. a sharp knife when being forced to cut off your own penis, then, yes, choose the sharp one.
Hikohadon

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:20 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Ah, well, Geno vs. Mallett is a different story.

If offered the option of a rusty knife vs. a sharp knife when being forced to cut off your own penis, then, yes, choose the sharp one.

At the risk of sounding net-cliche, I did laugh out loud at this.
OldDawg

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:32 pm

So as the Mallett rumor gets shot down...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... in-mallett

...the Geno Smith talk heats up.

My hypothetical question for you is this...take Weeden completely out of the equation, and tell me...

Who would you rather see as the Browns starting quarterback for the 2013 season...Geno Smith or Jason Campbell?

For my part, I hope to hell these rumors are all bullshit...and that the team drafts a guy at #6 that they can at least project to start for them in 2013. IMO, taking any QB at #6 (this year)is insanity...and trading UP to get one is beyond batshit crazy.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:36 pm

If you draft a QB this year, you're starting him.

Until the bitter end. Because if Geno Smith ain't the guy (which is probably a 80% chance)? Better just tank out the rest of the season and try it again.
Last edited by Triple-S on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Triple-S

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:36 pm

danwismar wrote:So as the Mallett rumor gets shot down...

My hypothetical question for you is this...take Weeden completely out of the equation, and tell me...

Who would you rather see as the Browns starting quarterback for the 2013 season...Geno Smith or Jason Campbell?

For my part, I hope to hell these rumors are all bullshit...and that the team drafts a guy at #6 that they can at least project to start for them in 2013. IMO, taking any QB at #6 (this year)is insanity...and trading UP to get one is beyond batshit crazy.

In a vacuum, Geno Smith.

But Geno isn't free. He costs the #6 overall pick.

I'd rather sacrifice the season on the Altar of Campbell and hope that next year's draft class presents better options.
Hikohadon

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:39 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
danwismar wrote:So as the Mallett rumor gets shot down...

In a vacuum, Geno Smith.

But Geno isn't free. He costs the #6 overall pick.

I'd rather sacrifice the season on the Altar of Campbell and hope that next year's draft class presents better options.

This. PLEASE draft someone in the first round that we know can play, not hope can play.
OldDawg

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:02 pm

danwismar wrote:Who would you rather see as the Browns starting quarterback for the 2013 season...Geno Smith or Jason Campbell?

EJ Manuel. Barring that, Campbell. He'll suck, but that's OK because we'll need the #1 to get Johnny Football anyways.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:17 pm

Johnny Football isn't going number one.

Anyways, I'm with Hiko on Smith vs. Campbell.

I KNOW Campbell stinks. I don't know Geno stinks. But I ain't giving up shit for either one of em.

Christ, just wait till the next turnip truck drives by and grab what falls out.

Giving up that pick for Geno Smith would be as stupid as trading up for a runni...er....
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby bac5665 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:36 pm

Am I the only one here who hasn't given up on Weeden? He showed flashes of potential while dealing with the worst coach in the league and, later, a team that quit. Give him year two and a competent coach (no guarantee that we have that, but...) and I think he has a shot. Certainly a better shot than any other available option.

I want a pass rusher with #6, or a trade down.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:42 pm

No one likes Gingers bac.

It's that simple.

Especially regarding The Ginger Cringer
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:47 pm

bac5665 wrote:Am I the only one here who hasn't given up on Weeden? He showed flashes of potential while dealing with the worst coach in the league and, later, a team that quit. Give him year two and a competent coach (no guarantee that we have that, but...) and I think he has a shot. Certainly a better shot than any other available option.

This might be true, but it is easier and safer just to give up on any Browns QB right from the get.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:50 pm

bac5665 wrote:Am I the only one here who hasn't given up on Weeden? He showed flashes of potential while dealing with the worst coach in the league and, later, a team that quit. Give him year two and a competent coach (no guarantee that we have that, but...) and I think he has a shot. Certainly a better shot than any other available option.

To be fair, I didn't give up on Weeden. Ever.

And to be fairer, the prospect of Geno Smith in a Browns uniform is making me consider actually not believing Weeden is the worst 1st Rd QB choice a franchise could make in a given 12-month period.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:56 pm

I love draft day. Even shitty draft days.
It'd be so excellent if this 'league source' is actually Banner.

A league source told ESPN Cleveland today that Joe Banner is “in the driver’s seat” for the entire 2013 draft.

There has been a cloud of secrecy over the Browns’ organization for the past few months. No one can quite get a read on which direction the new front office will go when it is their turn to select. Over the past 72 hours there has been a flurry of rumors about who the Browns will select, their desire to trade up, their desire to trade down, and even their desire to acquire players from other teams.

“When Joe (Banner) came back into the league with (the Browns) everyone knew they were going to have to deal with him. I don’t think anyone expected it to be on this level,” said the league source. “He has every team thinking something different, he has every media outlet reporting something different, and he is loving every second of it.”

When Banner was with the Philadelphia Eagles, he was known for hardnosed contract negotiations and getting players to earn their money. Now it seems as though he is earning his.

He has contacted almost every team in the draft about a multitude of different scenarios,” said the league source. “He is playing them like a fiddle.”

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:58 pm

peeker643 wrote:

To be fair, I didn't give up on Weeden. Ever.

Right. That would imply giving him a chance.
jb

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:00 pm

peeker643 wrote:I love draft day. Even shitty draft days.
It'd be so excellent if this 'league source' is actually Banner.

A league source told ESPN Cleveland today that Joe Banner is “in the driver’s seat” for the entire 2013 draft.

There has been a cloud of secrecy over the Browns’ organization for the past few months. No one can quite get a read on which direction the new front office will go when it is their turn to select. Over the past 72 hours there has been a flurry of rumors about who the Browns will select, their desire to trade up, their desire to trade down, and even their desire to acquire players from other teams.

“When Joe (Banner) came back into the league with (the Browns) everyone knew they were going to have to deal with him. I don’t think anyone expected it to be on this level,” said the league source. “He has every team thinking something different, he has every media outlet reporting something different, and he is loving every second of it.”

When Banner was with the Philadelphia Eagles, he was known for hardnosed contract negotiations and getting players to earn their money. Now it seems as though he is earning his.

He has contacted almost every team in the draft about a multitude of different scenarios,” said the league source. “He is playing them like a fiddle.”

Who was that talking head who gobbled Lombardi's knob? jim nance?

Banner = Col Flagg from MASH.
jb

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:00 pm

I love draft day, too. Because I think to myself that the Browns will have to be better after draft day. But I keep forgetting that every other team is drafting on draft day, too. And drafting better than us. And improving more than us. But don't remind me of that. I just want to know that the Browns will somehow be better after draft day.....
OldDawg

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:00 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
danwismar wrote:Who would you rather see as the Browns starting quarterback for the 2013 season...Geno Smith or Jason Campbell?

EJ Manuel. Barring that, Campbell. He'll suck, but that's OK because we'll need the #1 to get Johnny Football anyways.

Clowney.

Bestest prospect coming out.... ever?

(at least in a year)
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:06 pm

Hikohadon wrote:

This might be true, but it is easier and safer just to give up on any Browns QB right from the get.

Ultimately probably correct. But not my history. I was sucked in on Couch, Quinn, etc. Never on Weeden, though. Pre-disposed to hating him. Maybe it is because of his red hair. Or because he's stupid and couldn't lead ants to picnic.

I'm not sure. I'll go with the hair thing.

But I might actually prefer seeing him under center than Geno. What's that tell you? In fact, I think Geno may actually be 2012 Weeden. I'd take him if he fell to me somewhere in 2nd, but anywhere else? Blech... ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL