Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Phil Jackson

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Phil Jackson

Unread postby bookelly » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:56 am

Where there's smoke there's fire. Apparently he's interested. And it sets the table nicely for you-know-who to make his return.

All those picks, Kyrie + the rest of the kids...total control over the org (Grant would have to step aside - thats probably the biggest obstacle), he may actually do it. We'll see.

Phil does one thing quite well. He wins Championships. And his post-game pressers are a study in how to say nothing while saying everything at the same time.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: Phil Jackson

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:07 am

I would really like to see that happen and to see if the Zen master could work his magic in Cleveland. He's always inherited a talented team...our Cavs have some talent but not Bulls/Lakers level talent, we have lots of future picks and tons of cap room so it would be great to see what he could do.

I am probably one of the few but if this does happen I would hope that he and Grant could co-exist -- I have liked the job Grant has done with the post lebron shit sandwich that he was given. Still a work-in-progress and he has a lot to do and to prove but he's done a good job of turning over the roster, clearing salary and obtaining picks.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:09 am

I don't believe this for a single second.

But if Grant is an "obstacle" for landing Phil Jackson, God help us all.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:35 am

Everything I've read indicates Phil "would absolutely listen" which means "That fat kid from North Korea with the nukes could call me and I would take it. Really looking to give Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchack a big fat middle finger for the way they dissed me after Al Roker was fired"

Maybe he and Jeanie could buy the Browns and have Bill Cowher as the coach?
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:20 pm

^^^^^^ :lmfao:
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:50 pm

Did they mention that Phil could bring all his winter clothing down from his ranch in Montana. Shit they probably let him smoke all the weed he would want if he took the job. Hell I'd buy it for him.

But he probably doesn't want the job he is just keeping his name activly out there in case he feels like doing the Pat Riley CEO thing, or whatever the hell he does in miami.
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Unread postby pup » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:10 am

Phil doesn't want to coach. Only coming to Cleveland to be like Pat.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:24 am

pup wrote:Phil doesn't want to coach. Only coming to Cleveland to be like Pat.

I read that today. Not sure it makes it any more likely.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:07 am

Which would make Brian Shaw the leading canidate for our new head coach, I think he's the best assistant out there right now and would love to see that happen, even if Phil doesnt come on board
Nicastro13

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Joe Pittsburgh Fan

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:04 am

The number of great coaches who went on to become great GMs or great Presidents is relatively short. Not so sure I would want Phil Jackson in a GM/President capacity even if he wanted to come to the Cavs. As a coach, hell yes.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:39 am

Is there some type of "Basketball Marketing for Idiots" handbook the Cavs are following for the benefit of the portion of fans not bright enough to recognize that Phil Jackson and Coach K ain't coming here?

I mean, seriously? Those are the names they're gonna put out there?

I have as much a chance at coaching that team in 2013/2014 as either of those guys do.

Probably better.

Can we get an Izzo rumor for kicks and giggles too?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:57 am

peeker643 wrote:Is there some type of "Basketball Marketing for Idiots" handbook the Cavs are following for the benefit of the portion of fans not bright enough to recognize that Phil Jackson and Coach K ain't coming here?

I mean, seriously? Those are the names they're gonna put out there?

I have as much a chance at coaching that team in 2013/2014 as either of those guys do.

Probably better.

Can we get an Izzo rumor for kicks and giggles too?

I just don't understand why any "journalist" would even waste the time and digital internet space to follow up and report on Phil to Cleveland. Boggles the mind as to how anyone could have believed there was even a 0.0000000001% chance of him even picking up the phone, let alone considering it.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:38 am

Once a clusterfuck....

At least the Cavs are only about 7-8 players (including another star and another near star) away. Oh and TT paid off somce wiccan wench to teach him how to catch a ball, jump and dunk it (and somehow make the fugly fading hook thing work).

So that's a plus.

Still no D anywhere to be found, fired the appointed rebuild leader before he could finish the job, floating names they'll never get and a roster that is a clusterfuck of mismatching players....

And whoever said it was right, Kyrie is turning into AI.

Mike Brown is too good to take this job.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:01 pm

Michael Malone looks like the best realistic choice. Give a talented young guy an opportunity.

Lee, I'm interested to hear your opinion on the LeBron return. Because I think the Cavs only shot to win anything of significance in the next 5 years is to get him back. Is there any chance in hell? I was more optimistic a few months ago but it looks more and more like the Miami thing won't have run its course by then (despite the huge luxury tax that's coming). You'd think the Cavs would be planning this search accordingly but I don't put anything past them at this point.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:17 pm

Why in da fuck would LBJ leave ring-city?

He's got a real shot at surpassing Jordan. Unless Cleveland can somehow offer him a better chance to do that in 2014 than Miami why would he come to Cleveland?

LeBron circa right now is as dominant a player as the league has ever seen. He's not going to chuck his legacy away to come back to Gilbert's House of Horrors unless Gilbert rights the ship, quickly.

The way things currently stand, the dysfunction, refusal to try hard nightly, lack of defense and general bad attitude of the youth on this team is a huge hurdle to clear before anything is getting better. To TT's credit he allegedly isn't like the rest of the mess (Canadians....).

You have mismatching personalities, mismatching on the court talents, injury problems, motivation problems and absolutely zero vets steadying the ship.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:32 pm

^^It's crazy. It seems like in the span of a few months they went from exciting young team with potential and a solid nucleus to a bunch of lazy fucking crybabies. I don't know how much of that was on Scott or what the hell happened. but I don't see any reason for LeBron to just a plane back to Cleveland to lead this bunch of goofballs either.

So what would you do to fix it, eoy? Would you have fired Byron to begin with?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby jb » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:35 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Why in da fuck would LBJ leave ring-city?

He's got a real shot at surpassing Jordan. Unless Cleveland can somehow offer him a better chance to do that in 2014 than Miami why would he come to Cleveland?

LeBron circa right now is as dominant a player as the league has ever seen. He's not going to chuck his legacy away to come back to Gilbert's House of Horrors unless Gilbert rights the ship, quickly.

The way things currently stand, the dysfunction, refusal to try hard nightly, lack of defense and general bad attitude of the youth on this team is a huge hurdle to clear before anything is getting better. To TT's credit he allegedly isn't like the rest of the mess (Canadians....).

You have mismatching personalities, mismatching on the court talents, injury problems, motivation problems and absolutely zero vets steadying the ship.

Because El Heat is getting old and he can't surpass MJ there.

Becasue this allows his triumphant return home to alter his legacy back into "good guy" as the prodigal son returns to lead the much maligned hometown to the elusive title.
Becasu ethe young core will be ready to support him to a title. The irony is he had to leave for us to suck to amass enough surrounding talent via the draft. After his draft that will bein place, plus one more after we are "meh" next year.

Becasue the cavs have room for two max deals . One will be Kobe as the lakres part ways and the next will be LeBron; all playing for Phil. Bron plays with his hero and they bring along Kyrie, all orchestrated by Phil.

It's a lock to happen.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:44 pm

jb wrote:

Because El Heat is getting old and he can't surpass MJ there.

Becasue this allows his triumphant return home to alter his legacy back into "good guy" as the prodigal son returns to lead the much maligned hometown to the elusive title.
Becasu ethe young core will be ready to support him to a title. The irony is he had to leave for us to suck to amass enough surrounding talent via the draft. After his draft that will bein place, plus one more after we are "meh" next year.

Becasue the cavs have room for two max deals . One will be Kobe as the lakres part ways and the next will be LeBron; all playing for Phil. Bron plays with his hero and they bring along Kyrie, all orchestrated by Phil.

It's a lock to happen.

This just makes way too much sense for it not to happen
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:47 pm

What JB said was pretty much exactly my rationale in thinking there was a good chance. I'm very confident that LeBron, Kyrie, Waiters, Thompson, Varejao, solid bench guys like Ellington, plus 2 more good drafts (big if) equals as good a shot at the title as anyone by that time, plus that would be up there with the best storylines in the history of the NBA. Hell, we can tank one more year and try for Parker or Wiggins.

I just think it all hinges on how Miami is shaping up after next year. Wade looks pretty good now but he's 32 as of next summer and LeBron would be signing up for 4 more years (I highly doubt he opts in for the 2 years) and the very harsh luxury tax starts kicking in. That probably would mean either trading Bosh or a lot less money to fill out their supporting cast. You'd always have a couple of Battiers and Ray Allens playing for a deep discount but at that tax, you'd probably need a whole team of them.
Last edited by Kingpin74 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:47 pm

motherscratcher wrote:^^It's crazy. It seems like in the span of a few months they went from exciting young team with potential and a solid nucleus to a bunch of lazy fucking crybabies. I don't know how much of that was on Scott or what the hell happened. but I don't see any reason for LeBron to just a plane back to Cleveland to lead this bunch of goofballs either.

So what would you do to fix it, eoy? Would you have fired Byron to begin with?

It's really, really, really hard to build a roster of young talent in the NBA without something like this happening. You have to draft the right pieces, have the right vets in place to help them and have a coach that is willing to teach.

The fact that Scott got ran out of town for making them practice too much is so LOLOLOL.

Ultimately they put together a bunch of pieces that don't fit and had zero vet presence on the team. Some of the vets were leading the charge crying about Scott.

I don't know what I would have done beyond aquired vets who would actually lead.

That and you have built in problems w/ the need for ball dominance w/ both Waiters and Kyrie that is silly and will cause issues....

It reallly takes special young talent to OKC it. Right now the Cavs are closer to Sacremento than any other young team in the league. And Sacremento completely bothced building that roster the same way Cleveland appears to have done.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:48 pm

e0y2e3 wrote: Oh and TT paid off somce wiccan wench to teach him how to catch a ball, jump and dunk it (and somehow make the fugly fading hook thing work).

So that's a plus.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6427/bismack-biyombo
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:49 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:What JB said was pretty much exactly my rationale in thinking there was a good chance. I'm very confident that LeBron, Kyrie, Waiters, Thompson, Varejao, solid bench guys like Ellington, plus 2 more good drafts (big if) equals as good a shot at the title as anyone by that time. I just think it all hinges on how Miami is shaping up after next year. Wade looks pretty good now but he's 32 as of next summer and LeBron would be signing up for 4 more years (I highly doubt he opts in for the 2 years) and the very harsh luxury tax starts kicking in. That probably would mean either trading Bosh or a lot less money to fill out their supporting cast. You'd always have a couple of Battiers and Ray Allens playing for a deep discount but at that tax, you'd probably need a whole team of them.

Where are you getting that Miami is in luxury tax hell? They'll be fine with money.

And I trust Pat to phase in and out of the Wade era 100x more than I trust Gilbert and Grant to find their way out of a paper bag. Not to mention every single player in the league will go their to play with LBJ.

And I thought Wade was dead last year, dude has totally reinvented himself. 4 more years is nowhere near out of the question.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:50 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:What JB said was pretty much exactly my rationale in thinking there was a good chance.

Pssst - I was like, joshin'.

Don't tell Lee.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:50 pm

jb wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote: Oh and TT paid off somce wiccan wench to teach him how to catch a ball, jump and dunk it (and somehow make the fugly fading hook thing work).

So that's a plus.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6427/bismack-biyombo

He managed to get worse this year.

Worse.

It's dumbfounding.

I blame MJ.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:53 pm

jb wrote:Don't tell Lee.

You baiting? Why I NEVER!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:54 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
jb wrote:Don't tell Lee.

You baiting? Why I NEVER!

Damn. You found out.
jb

Unread postby jb » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:55 pm

I forgot the weather, too.

The changing of seasons is so nice.
jb

Unread postby jb » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:56 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
pup wrote:Phil doesn't want to coach. Only coming to Cleveland to be like Pat.

I read that today. Not sure it makes it any more likely.

But what would we do with Chris Grant?
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:58 pm

Boobie Gibson.

Really all I have to say about anything Cavs Roster related.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:08 pm

I'm with you on the front office being clueless, but at least the team is pretty much a blank canvas next summer aside from Kyrie, Waiters, Thompson, 2013 and 2014 draft picks, and Varejao (who's a team option). If they found someone who knew what they were doing, they have the flexibility to put a good roster together. But Wade would have to start showing obvious signs of slowing down for us to even have a prayer.
Kingpin74

Unread postby pod2dawg » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:58 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Boobie Gibson.

Really all I have to say about anything Cavs Roster related.

Somewhere sometime I swear I read that Boobie was our "best" perimeter defender.

I don't do mushrooms but felt like I did after reading that because it did not seem to match my perception of reality or even the dimension I am residing in.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:10 pm

Well after bionic Knee Livingston came over he was. Before that Boobie may have been the head of that really, really, really, shitty line.

The perimeter defense was amongst the worst ever this year.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA