Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Bye bye, Byron

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Bye bye, Byron

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:32 am

Twitterverse says Byron Scott is gone when the season ends. Don't know who to cite as many are saying it. Rotoworld.com credits FSO.

If so, that means Dan Gilbert gets his way. Word I hear from the inside says Gilbert is sick of the lack of defense and wants Mike Malone as coach. Grant was in Scott's corner. Don't know if he's changed his mind due to the late season swoon or Gilbert simply gets what he wants b/c he is owner.

I also understand that Grant convinced Gilbert to give Scott the extension as soon as last season ended. It wasn't publicized until much later. Grant's argument was that Scott couldn't go into the season as a lame-duck head coach. I'm sure Gilbert is thinking that sure didn't matter.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Re: Bye bye, Byron

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:33 am

I'd normally be OK with keeping Scott because I don't mind tanking one more year if things so bad. But, Stan Van Gundy is available and has done nothing but produce playoff teams his whole career. I think he'd be a great hire.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:06 pm

I think Coach Scott is getting a bit of a raw deal. The Cavs have had the worst luck with injury the past couple of seasons. AV missed nearly all of this year, Irving and Waiters have missed portions of the season. What can you do when you're in charge of a rebuilding team that has barely seen its two best players on the court together. The team looked like it had made some big strides in games this year, but the defense remains a catastrophe, but that doesn't get fixed by sacking the head coach.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Chris Perez

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:29 pm

He'd have a much better chance had they not blown more 20-point leads than games the Browns won last season.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:17 pm

You'd have to think he and Gilbert have some sort of agreement, as far as doing what they have to to grind out these last couple years, but once they field a competitive team ext. IDK but I've had some convos with other frustrated fans on this topic,But my argument is whats the plan? lose right? so why punish the guy for following the plan? Although I've always like Ron Jeremy Van Gundy.
Nicastro13

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Joe Pittsburgh Fan

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:38 pm

I don't want the Cavs to hire SVG cause it would take him out of his weekly 3 hour slot on the LeBatard radio show. Guy is fantastic in that role.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Spin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:33 pm

I think it's time to clean house.

Scott has lost the team, and has seemingly alienated the one star player on the team. The team never could defend five of us, and never showed up in the second half. That's on him.

Grant seems to think you can just suck for 6-8 years, pray for lottery picks, and draft your entire god damn roster. He didn't pull the trigger on AV before he ate shit again. Was he thinking Andy was part of the future? Seriously by the time his long-term rebuild strategy had put together a team worth a shit, AV would be 38 years old. What free agent has he signed that will be part of this team when they make the playoffs again? CJ Miles? Who spent more time on the DL than Kyrie?

This team is worse than the Ted Stepien Cavs, who ever dreamed that was even possible? They appear to have no direction, no plan. Just keep shoveling shit out there, these fans will eat it.

It's time to make some progress.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA