Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

2013 NBA Draft

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

2013 NBA Draft

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:19 pm

There's nobody of the caliber of Anthony Davis or Kyrie in the draft, but there are a number of interesting prospects. There's a few guys that interest me and a few guys I wouldn't touch.

Nerlens Noel intrigues the hell out of me, particularly for the Cavs. His defense impressed me even more than AD's did last year. He's not at all a zero offensively like some experts are making him out to be. He looks like he can own the paint defensively in the NBA, and his ACL tear doesn't scare me so much given that the Cavs won't be in contention next year anyway.

Shabazz Muhammed is a guy I wouldn't touch. We already have 2 ball dominant guards who usually look for their own shot - Shabazz literally has no idea how to pass the ball. Or maybe he does, but I've never seen him do it. Also, there was a game I watched earlier this year that he was visibly not hustling or trying all that hard on D (maybe he hated Howland). Dunno if that was an isolated game or not, but everything I've seen and heard about his game and makeup screams a rich man's Nick Young.

I love Oladipo. Not sure how he'd fit with the Cavs (an undersized 3? A starting 2, with Waiters as the 6th man? Utilize a 3 guard lineup?), but he has that superstar, Dwyane Wade quality, in that he always seems to come up with the right play at the right time, on both offense and defense. Freakishly athletic, his offense doesn't match his defense just yet, but I can see glimmers of an NBA star there too. All Defense with 18 ppg a few years in to his career would not surprise me at all.

Otto Porter is another guy I'd want for the Cavs (and I was saying that before Chad Ford stuck his ignorant nose in). He does everything well except shoot a high percentage from the outside, and in Cleveland playing along Kyrie and Waiters he won't be asked to as much. He reminds me of a longer young Battier. I think he can be that guy who contributes a lot more in the win column than the stat sheet.

The last guy I'd consider is Anthony Bennett. Unfortunately he strikes me as the type of guy who will be a bust with his 1st team and then break out with his 2nd, but my god is he talented. Most skilled big man coming out since Demarcus Cousins IMO.

In an ideal world, the Cavs use their picks, assets, and cap space to trade for a star, but assuming they use their picks, these are some names that I've formulated an opinion on. How about you?
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Re: 2013 NBA Draft

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:20 pm

I wouldn't mind Noel, but we'd have to get the #1 pick to get him.

I like Otto Porter as he is solid and I really think we need a solid 3-man.

I wouldn't mind Marcus Smart. I know we just drafted a 1-gd and a 2-gd in the last 2 drafts. But Smart is a combo guard and with as much as Kyrie is injured... Would be a solid and young 3 guys rotating into 2 spots on the floor.

I like Oladipo, too, as he has great upside. But I'd still prefer Smart for the Cavs.

McLemore is more of a pure 2-gd and is supposedly a better 2-gd than Smart, but Smart's versatility makes him a better fit for the Cavs (again, Kyrie's injuries).

I'm with you on UCLA's Muhammed. Sounds like a ball monopolizer (more of a black hole) and possibly a bit of a cancer? No thanks.

With our Lakers pick? Maybe get Gonzaga's Olynyk, Kansas's Withey, Duke's Plumlee or Louisville's Dieng for some post depth.

DeShaun Thomas early in the second round if he's there. I am not sold that he is a first rounder. Certainly a talent, but a bit awkward athletically. Not sure how his game translates to the NBA.

I saw one mock draft having us picking Cody Zeller. Don't think so! I am OK with the one we have to burn a pick on another one.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:18 pm

1. Nerlens
2. Otto
3. NO SHABIZ!
4. NO Shabiz!
5. No Shabiz!
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:50 pm

Crap, it looks like Smart is not coming out. Not that I am disappointed that we won't get him, but that I am disappointed that someone ahead of us in the draft won't take him, dropping better draft options to us. Many mocks had Smart going at #2. If Nerlens went one and Smart 2, then we could have Potter or whoever else we want. Now that Smart is gone, Potter could go at 2. That would not make me happy. Of course, if our ping pong balls come through, this is a moot point. And for the first time this year I am pulling for the Lakers (well, I guess I pulled for them vs the Heat as well).

http://nba.si.com/2013/04/16/marcus-sma ... e-cowboys/
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:51 pm

Sweet, I named Bennett here as one of the 4 guys I'd want from this draft.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby jb » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:18 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:Sweet, I named Bennett here as one of the 4 guys I'd want from this draft.

Time machine...
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA