Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Django Unchained

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Django Unchained

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:52 pm

Go see it.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Django Unchained

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:10 pm

How 'bout a spoiler alert next time, asshole?
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:41 pm

Spike Lee stands up and yells "LOOK AT ME! I'M RELEVANT! I'M RELEVANT EVERYBODY!"

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/2013-golden-globes/spike-lee-boycotts-django-unchained-avoid-being-disrespectful-004053624.html

There seems to be a bit of a Tarantino backlash the last few years, but I love his movies. Django looks great.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:08 pm

It's pretty damn good. Enjoyable for what it is.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:44 pm

Awesome, kid Leo and Sam Jackson both deserves a supporting actor nod.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby jerryroche » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:47 am

“Reservoir Dogs” was a masterpiece, Tarantino’s first full-length feature and clearly his best. “Pulp Fiction” was all-over-the-place bad (in spite of many positive reviews). “Jackie Brown” was excellent. “Kill Bill” meh. “Inglourious Basterds” a tour de force, Tarantino’s second-best overall directorial effort.

But from what I’ve heard, “Django Unchained” is offensive on many different levels. Even the unrepentent liberal Salon.com called it a “notoriously incoherent bloodbath.” Sorry: maybe I’m getting stodgy in my old age, but I’d rather not submit myself to two hours of racist language and gratuitous gore.

There’s much better stuff out there at 10 bucks a crack, from fact-based "Lincoln" and "Zero Dark Thirty" to the mildly entertaining "Silver Linings Playbook" to hold-onto-your-hat fun like "Skyfall."
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:06 pm

Racist language? Do you think Tarantino is using his director's license just so he can say the N word on screen, or as part of telling a story and depicting a scene in his film.

You don't have to like it, you certainly don't have to see it (even though I said go see it) but for crying out loud don't make it out to be something that it isn't.

FUDU

Unread postby pup » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:16 pm

FUDU wrote:Racist language? Do you think Tarantino is using his director's license just so he can say the N word on screen, or as part of telling a story and depicting a scene in his film.

You don't have to like it, you certainly don't have to see it (even though I said go see it) but for crying out loud don't make it out to be something that it isn't.

Dude is anti-Pulp Fiction...

'Nuf said.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:45 pm

pup wrote:
FUDU wrote:Racist language? Do you think Tarantino is using his director's license just so he can say the N word on screen, or as part of telling a story and depicting a scene in his film.

Dude is anti-Pulp Fiction...

'Nuf said.

Yeah. Once I saw "all-over-the-place-bad" I knew there would be no common ground on this topic.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:58 pm

Pulp Fiction was brilliant. One of the best shot movies I can remember. So many great scenes.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby jerryroche » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:03 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Yeah. Once I saw "all-over-the-place-bad" I knew there would be no common ground on this topic.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Hope you enjoy Django, Mother. But for me, the early responses to it are just another sign that this old coot is somewhat out of touch with the under-50 crowd. Hell, maybe I'll eventually see it just to help me figure out the younger generation. Then again, maybe I won't.
jerryroche

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:23 pm

There's only one problem with Pulp Fiction, it's not on TV enough.

FUDU

Unread postby jerryroche » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:46 pm

You can borrow my DVD any time, Fudu.
jerryroche

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:04 pm

jerryroche wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:Yeah. Once I saw "all-over-the-place-bad" I knew there would be no common ground on this topic.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Hope you enjoy Django, Mother. But for me, the early responses to it are just another sign that this old coot is somewhat out of touch with the under-50 crowd. Hell, maybe I'll eventually see it just to help me figure out the younger generation. Then again, maybe I won't.

I don't think you're out of touch. Just not your bag. I think Pulp is an absolute masterpiece.

And I doubt it has anything to do with figuring out the younger generation. Tarantino just isn't for everyone I guess. I'm not even sure how "younger generation" his fans actually are anymore.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:22 pm

Pulp Fiction is a Top 5 all-time classic in my book. Reservoir Dogs? Excellent, Kill Bill and Inglorious Basterds? Meh and Good, respectively.

The Eric Stoltz scenes are priceless all by themselves in Pulp Fiction.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:57 pm

I though Kill Bill sucked and so did Planet Terror and Death Proof (Yes I know Robert Rodriguez did PT).

I plan on seeing Django Unchained, heard good things.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:08 pm

jerryroche wrote:“Reservoir Dogs” was a masterpiece, Tarantino’s first full-length feature and clearly his best. “Pulp Fiction” was all-over-the-place bad (in spite of many positive reviews). “Jackie Brown” was excellent. “Kill Bill” meh. “Inglourious Basterds” a tour de force, Tarantino’s second-best overall directorial effort.

Wow, I'd have to say that your assessment of his films is almost EXACTLY the opposite of mine.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby jerryroche » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:18 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Wow, I'd have to say that your assessment of his films is almost EXACTLY the opposite of mine.

Yeah, but if I was offered AP for all the 2013 draft picks, I'd take him, just like you. So there's that.
jerryroche

Unread postby dmiles » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:12 pm

I've never seen Kill Bill or Jackie Brown, but Django was great. However I am in the camp that says Pulp Fiction was a game-changer (which the begs question as to why I haven't watched a couple of these others...)

Drudge says it might not be resonating out there? Frankly I only went because Les Mis' was sold out (thank you Jesus). The boys were going to Django, we were going to Les Mis' and I got bailed out bigtime.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:21 pm

Indeed. Lots of great scenes in Django. Jackie Brown is also excellent. Kill Bills are pretty good, Death Proof and planet Terror are sort of ok.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby cozmeesah » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:00 pm

dmiles wrote:Drudge says it might not be resonating out there?

Then drudge is pulling that out of their ass. It's doing HUGE numbers for a Tarantino film and the Twitter reactions & #'s are insanely positive. A- Cinemascore (Anything A- and above usually has great legs at the b.o.), Every report I've seen has audiences (full of young people, mind you) LOVING it.
cozmeesah

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby justmebd » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:34 pm

I know I'm in the minority, but I like Death Proof. The biggest problem with that movie is the cafe scene with the stunt girls drags the story to a grinding halt.

You can "get" what their characters are about in half-a-dozen other scenes. It's a dialogue heavy scene with some interesting camera work, but you can lose the whole sequence and not "lose" anything.

It's interesting to note even Tarantino has admitted Death Proof isn't his finest work. He still defends it, but said he'd be happy if it was considered his "worst" movie. (I did not enjoy Planet Terror at all. It had its moments, and that's about all I can say.)

Pulp Fiction: I think I quote that movie in my head at least once a day. It's a part of the culturual Reference Manual. It was a game-changer. 'Nuff said.

Jackie Brown: Under-rated due to it being the follow-up to Pulp Fiction. It's hard to top a masterpiece. I need to watch it again, haven't seen it in years.

Reservior Dogs: One of the best "First Films" from any director -- ever.

Kill Bill: Entertaining. I keep waiting for a Blu-Ray that has both movies on one disc.

Inglorious Basterds: An absolute Thunderstorm of Awesome.

Django Unchained: Probably will not get to see this movie until it hits Blu-Ray. If I'm lucky I'll be able to sneak out and see it when it hits the buck theatre.

Tarentino-Related:
From Dusk 'til Dawn: I knew what I was getting going in, so I LOVED this movie. Every minute of it.

Four Rooms: Tarentino's segment was delightful.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:25 pm

This movie is worth going to see just for the whole bag/face scene. :dingle:
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:27 pm

Unfortunately, this movie was disappointing to me. It had many good scenes, but just kind of got worse as it went, and the end was stupid. Not to mention that I'm pretty sick of Tarantino revenge pics by now. Kill Bill was better.

Don Johnson was awesome though.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:55 pm

Just saw it. I enjoyed it a lot, it was long but it never felt like it was dragging. Tarantino knows how to do a genre picture, and this combines the spaghetti western and elements of Blaxploitation. There isn't a bad actor in the whole damn movie, the cameos are all fantastic.

My gripes, the blood was way too Planet Terrorish, it looked like red snot. I feel like the movie should have ended in the house the first time. It was very climatic, and I think he wasted that to an extent by having another predictable shootout 10 minutes later. I will say that I did love the scene with Tarantino, John Jarrat, and Michael Parks. It was totally pointless, but cool.

IMO, it's 10 times better than Kill Bill, but not quite as good as Basterds in terms of his revenge flicks.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:55 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Just saw it. I enjoyed it a lot, it was long but it never felt like it was dragging. Tarantino knows how to do a genre picture, and this combines the spaghetti western and elements of Blaxploitation. There isn't a bad actor in the whole damn movie, the cameos are all fantastic.

My gripes, the blood was way too Planet Terrorish, it looked like red snot. I feel like the movie should have ended in the house the first time. It was very climatic, and I think he wasted that to an extent by having another predictable shootout 10 minutes later. I will say that I did love the scene with Tarantino, John Jarrat, and Michael Parks. It was totally pointless, but cool.

IMO, it's 10 times better than Kill Bill, but not quite as good as Basterds in terms of his revenge flicks.

Yes, it would've been better had it ended at the first gunfight at the house (and if the gunfight itself were better). Everything after that was not so good and diminished the movie overall.
Hikohadon

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:13 pm

Excellent movie. Christoph Waltz is now one of my favorite actors. Django is most definitely in my top 10 movies of all time list.
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:37 pm

Agreed on Christoph Waltz. Dude is electric in these roles.

I forgot to mention that, like all Tarantino movies, the soundtrack is fucking killer.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture