Text Size

College Sports Arena

OSU Spring Game - 4/13

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

OSU Spring Game - 4/13

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:11 am

Just in case anyone wants to comment...thought I'd start a thread...

A few details and maybe a couple things to watch for...

Saturday at 1 p.m. at Paul Brown Stadium in Cinci.

There is some concrete refacing work being done at the Horseshoe this spring...that's the reason they moved the game...although a little boost to recruiting the Cinci area was a factor in the decision on where to go. OSU has not done all that well in Cinci historically...often losing the area's best to Notre Dame and other programs...although two starters (Andrew Norwell and Adolphus Washington) are from there, and if you count Dayton, add Braxton, Barnett, Burrows and a few others.

The game is not on live television, although you can watch it live if your cable system has BTN, and you have the BTN2Go app on your phone or tablet. Otherwise you can watch at 7 pm on BTN.

Here's a good look at how the Scarlet and Gray teams will break down for the game...which will be conducted as a regular timed game, with the exceptions being no kickoffs and only fair-catches on punts.

http://ohiostate.scout.com/2/1283090.html

Most of the offensive starters will be on the Scarlet team, and most of the starting defenders will be on the Gray...so when Scarlet has the ball, you'll be watching the 1's vs the 1's, and when Gray is on offense, you'll be basically looking at both second teams.

Bradley Roby won't play at all...not seriously hurt, just no reason to risk anything, and a need to look at the young corners Doran Grant and freshmen Eli Apple and Cam Burrows. Shazier has been limited all spring, and he'll be limited on Sat, if he plays at all.

Carlos Hyde is not expected to play either, so look for lots of carries for the rest of the RB's...Rod Smith, Brionte Dunn and Warren Ball. This game is essentially the proving ground for Hyde's first backup.

I'll be very interested to see Cardale Jones get some extended time for the first time at QB for the Gray. (Kenny Guiton will play for both teams, they say) Jones has great size and a big arm, and Meyer has said this spring that "he can play QB for Ohio State"

Also getting our first real look at Ball at RB, coming off glowing reports all spring about his performance...(same with Smith and Dunn really)

Linebacker play is another thing to watch, of course...Curtis Grant (#14 Gray) will be in the middle, but I am also very interested to see three Scarlet LB's (Cam Williams #5, Josh Perry #37, and David Perkins #21) Williams could see action for both teams as well. Also Luke Roberts (#42 Scarlet) will be showing his stuff to the OSU fans for the first time.

Also looking forward to following the development of the two sophomore starting DE's Noah Spence (#8 Gray) and Washington (#92 Gray), who have both had great springs by all accounts. "Unblockable" is the word everyone is using to describe Spence, and he's been going up against one of the Big Ten's best OT's in practice in Jack Mewhort. Meyer has raved about the job Vrabel has done with both of these guys, but especially about his relationship with Spence.

Watch how the two sophomore right tackle prospects Taylor Decker (#68 Scarlet) and Elyria's Chase Farris (#57 Scarlet) do against both of these young DE's.

Tyvis Powell (#23 Gray) (the unheralded Tressel recruit from Bedford) has come out of nowhere to be the starter at the hybrid Star position, taking advantage of injuries to guys like Devan Bogard, and has earned lots of Meyer-love this spring. He's big (6'3", 201) and long, and a solid hitter-tackler....again...our first look.

I'll be on Twitter during the game, and have a recap up on the front page sometime Sunday...
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: OSU Spring Game - 4/13

Unread postby furls » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:06 am

How sad is it that I am really excited about watching this scrimmage?

Lots of story lines that Dan touched on. I have read also that Rod Smith is coming off a concussion and will see limited to no action, so it will be a Warren Ball vs. Bri'onte Dunn cagematch to be the #3 RB. Ball's spring practice reviews have been excellent and the fact that he is pushing Dunn on the DC says alot since Ball took a medical redshirt last year.

We keep hearing these reports about the "unblockable-ness" of Spence and Washington and it will be interesting to see if that is true. The Grey vs. Scarlet (D vs. O) matchup is really going to be the barometer of how good this team and which side of the ball is ahead of the other. My guess is that the O will be ahead of the D. Having the Best OL in the B1G will certainly help Scarlet, and frankly, I think alot of the "unblockable" stuff is the same fluff we see every year at this time.

I am worried about the Grey team at DT (and this team in general at DT). Last year they were pretty strong in the middle at DT and I think it helped with some of the weakness of this team right up the middle at MLB and Safety. This year they return the same issues up the middle without the great DT play. Bennett has the potential to be great, but I am not sure he has the "junk in the trunk" you want out of a DT. Hale is just a space eater and is at best a push with the production/play provided by Goebel last year. Schutt is going to be a very good one, but he is a one gapper and is going to be a bit redundant with Bennett. Schutt is also gimpy for today's game.

Miller's progression as a passer is the obvious key story line today. As you watch his play out there remember that every CB on the field has been promoted one spot because Roby is sitting out. Because Miller will be wearing a black jersey we will NOT see the most important improvements he needed to make to his game, decision making in the run game. Not just the read option runs the he made the wrong call on frequently last year, but also the "Should I just tuck it and take off pass vs. run decisions last year." He held the ball WAY too long last year and traded a lot of 8-10 yard runs for sacks. IMO if he develops in that area this year this team grows by about 7-10 ppg even if he doesn't develop a lick as a passer.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:34 pm

Some offensive highlights from Saturday, with freeze-frame commentary and explanation by Mark Porter.....good stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wTONHOA ... e=youtu.be
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby googleeph2 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:57 pm

That's terrific.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:06 pm

danwismar

Re: OSU Sp

Unread postby furls » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:33 pm

I am still trying to build the motivation to put together some comments on the game.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to College Sports Arena