Text Size

College Sports Arena

OSU Spring Ball

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

OSU Spring Ball

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:48 pm

Thought I'd begin a catch-all spring football thread now that practice is well underway.

I have not been down to watch, but am reading reports from various members of the beat media...consensus seems to be that a few guys are standing out as having excellent showings so far...to include Devin Smith, Braxton, Michael Bennett, Noah Spence, Brionte Dunn, Warren Ball, Marcus Hall, Chase Farris (competing with Taylor Decker at RT...and possibly leading that race at the moment)and Corey (Pitt) Brown.

Here's Meyer after Tuesday's practice:

http://www.theozone.net/flash/13-14/130326/Meyer.html
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: OSU Spring Ball

Unread postby furls » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:13 am

Good things about Kenny G and RB depth. Sounds like a dogfight behind Hyde for top back up spot between Dunn and Smith (Smith leading?). Apparently Ball looks very good too.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:57 pm

OSU released the fan's Guide to the Spring Game today:

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports ... 13aab.html
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:47 pm

Quiet thread thus far. I am excited about what I hear about the team, but at the same time we hear the same thing about the team every spring practice and camp season.... The offense is amazing, the QB has improved immeasurabley, the OL looks really good, the DL can sack any other teams QB at will except ours because the OSU OL is soooo good, this is the year that WR X will break out, etc.

Here is what I actually believe:
-Miller is somewhat better at QB and his footwork has improved some.
-Spencer, Smith and Brown are entrenched as the top 3.
-Doran Grant and Reeves are in a dogfight for a CB spot.
-Apple and Burrows are not ready yet (hence grant and reeves dogfight).
-Curtis Grant is a bust, Perkins has more upside and will probably play more.
-Marcus has transitioned well to DL.
-Spence has improved.
-Smith still cannot hold onto the football.
-Warren Ball is better than everyone remembers. He is the forgotten 2012 RB recruit.
-Chase Ferris is better at OT than everyone thought he would be and is pushing Taylor Decker for the starting RT spot. That is great news as it looks like we have two tackles ready to go for the 2014 season now.
-Darryl Baldwin is likely to transfer by fall ball.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:15 pm

Kinda disappointed in Jordan Hall's Spring camp. He is a key to the success of the Offense this year in my opinion. Truthfully he's lucky a few of the incoming guys like Marshall, EZE, and Wilson, didn't come in early because one of them could of supplanted him and never looked back.
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Unread postby furls » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:20 pm

Hall has been nursing a nagging injury all spring. No big deal. I think he may be important, but I am not willing to say he is a key to the offense. He was out all year last year and the O was generally fine, most of the issues were actually with Braxton missing open receivers and holding the ball too long.

Hall is clearly more ready than the freshmen, but all of those guys have much higher ceilings. That said, Jalin Marshall is strong as hell. I think he may actually be ready to go, obviously he will need to adapt to the speed of the game, but from all reports I have heard... he is physically ready. The kid has listed a 315 bench and 500lb squat for about a year, he is not one of these kids who is going to need to come in and sit at the training table for a year. Everything I have read on the kid has said that he is just one of those freaky strong sorts. Kind of funny, but I think of Marshall as one of the forgotten recruits of 2013 because he committed so long ago. He is "early entrant" talented. His success will be driven by his ability to switch positions, I think he will fairly easily.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:27 pm

Really looking forward to seeing Marshall. Kid is dynamite.

Not Hall so much but that position is key to the Offense jumping to that next level. Without him in that spot you're relying on a Freshman or someone not suited to the role (Fields/Brown).
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Re: OSU Spring Ba

Unread postby furls » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:30 am

I am interested to see how important the position is. I know it is frowned upon to question Meyer, but... was it the wingback, or Percy Harvin specifically that took that offense to the next level?

I hate calling it the Percy Harvin position, but it underscores the importance of him in the position. A similar argument could be made for the H-Back/Aaron Hernandez position.

One thing I do like about this staff is that I am sure they will customize the O to match the playmakers. If no WRs step up... we will see more RB play. If Miller isn't getting it done throwing, we will see more running and passes around the LOS. Tressel did reasonably well at this as well, but not to the same extent as Meyer and Herrman. This year may be Herrman's swan song in C-Bus if the O is as good as I think it will be.

We are going to see this staff continue to just bring in talent (within some constraints) and then figure out the real strength of the O from there.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:02 am

I'm sure you guys have heard about how they're experimenting with what Meyer calls a "bone look", (as in Wishbone)...a "diamond" formation with three backs in addition to Braxton in the backfield. Meyer went to the 49ers to learn more about it, and they've been running it this spring.

Seems like a great way to take advantage of the depth at running back, not to mention the size of the backs they have. Imagine one of Hyde (235), Smith (238?) or Dunn (230) running behind the other two...or Miller running read option behind all three, while the defense worries about the big guys...or a tight end running free down the middle due to all the attention on the running attack. Or reverses...or counters...or screens run off of that set.

As far as Hall goes, you can't count on him being what he hasn't been for four years...which is reliably healthy...so anything you get is a bonus. Besides, they will have the depth in guys like Marshall or Wilson or Fields...at that position, so it may not matter.

Now if they can just keep Noah Spence from breaking Braxton in half before Labor Day, they should be alright.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:53 am

Don't forget Ball dan, who has had as good a spring as anyone and is shiftier in the open field than anyone you mentioned. Though Drayton calling him "Shakes" because of how many moves it takes him to get to the LOS is reason for pause for me.

The depth at RB really is silly.

If only any other position had that problem.....

Does anyone know if Boren is healthy and practicing yet? I know Efflein is the #2 center at the moment but I haven't heard a peep regarding Boren. Frankly besides Efflein doing well, Farris/Decker being in a battle at RT and Underwood playing will before getting hurt I haven't read anything regarding the second O-Line beyond they sucked Saturday.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:08 am

Some of the beat guys who have been to a few practices now are saying they sort of like what they see from Baldwin at tackle...surprisingly enough. They say Meyer really has taken a liking to Elflein, not least because of his versatility...he can play any of the five positions.

The real downer seems to be the lack of progress for Dobson. When no one can say anything good about you, they might as well be saying something bad. He just hasn't shown what they hoped for in any area...attitude, work ethic, in the classroom, or on the field.

Nothing wrong with Boren, as far as I know...just that he's being pushed for the backup spot by Elflein...they are taking it easy on Linsley this spring...he's coming off some kind of a minor procedure (foot?) in the offseason, IIRC.

Farris is doing well at RT, but Decker is getting most of the first team reps, and it would be a surprise if Decker isn't the man come August. Looks like once again...for at least one more season...we'll be sweating out the good health of the first-teamers.

danwismar

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:34 am

" Curtis Grant is a bust, Perkins has more upside and will probably play more" Furls

I have heard "good" things about Grant ie. penetration in backfield etc. What is he not getting done? Is he thinking too much? He is an absolute physical specimen. I really hope the light goes on.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:42 am

danwismar wrote:....Now if they can just keep Noah Spence from breaking Braxton in half before Labor Day, they should be alright......

I have my concerns, they cant even keep Brutus from getting broken in half.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:34 am

Perkins isn't going to play more because he can only play Will due to size limitations and this year they have a pretty good guy playing Will.

I've read great things about Grant as well. I did last spring too. The ultimate case of show me and I'll believe it.

Thanks on the second string O-Line Dan. I honestly just couldn't remember how long Boren's rehab was scheduled to be from whatever he tore last year (Peck?).

On the plus side, the top two contenders for the Star season coming into the Spring are either still hurt or just now getting health in Bogard and Murray; yet without them Powell has performed very well according to everyone.

So we have great depth at Nickle Back, QB and RB it appears, with potential at WR and CB.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:36 am

danwismar wrote:Looks like once again...for at least one more season...we'll be sweating out the good health of the first-teamers.

I'd go with "for two or so more seasons" considering 4 starters are graduating. I'm actually really, really, really hoping one of those monster JUCO OTs we are going to end up battling Bama and the SEC for end up in C-Bus.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:51 am

e0y2e3 wrote: couldn't remember how long Boren's rehab was scheduled to be from whatever he tore last year (Peck?)

Labrum...same as Dodson.

Lee...PM me an email address for you, so I can send you stuff I shouldn't post here

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:57 pm

Grant, yet again, has not seized that LB job. I have read nice things about him too, but I have also read nearly as many bad things about how stiff and "non instictual" he is. I hope he does well, but I think he is a bust.

As for the OL, I am pretty happy with this team's OL for 2013 and depth for 2013. I am pretty happy with what I have heard about what 2014's line will look like, but I am TERRIFIED about the 2014 depth at OL. Pretty safe bet that Kyle Trout and Evan Lisle will be on the 2 deep in 2014.

2014 OL Starters:
ROT: Farris
RG: Elflein/Boren
C: Boren/Elflein
LG: Underwood
LT: Decker

Would not shock me if Evan Lisle is a starter in 2013 or if Gardner pushes Underwood.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:59 pm

Tyvis Powell has been one of the great stories in this year's camp. I have no idea where he will be on the Dc at then end of Fall camp after the 2013 super class shows up and Murray and Bogard are healthy, but you have to love seeing a guy that no one thought would ever be OSU caliber come in and make plays.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:30 am

The always helpful Ross Fulton, on the diamond formation...

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/04/2 ... -formation

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:43 am

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:28 pm

Urban Meyer was saying some very positive stuff about Curtis Grant. Said that the light has come on and Grant is the starting MLB. That's great news. I hope it holds, it will be interesting to see who is second LB, him or Perry, that is what really matters the most as OSU spends a lot of time in nickel.

Earlier in the year they said that Perry was moving to MLB in 2 LB sets, wonder if Grant can win that job too.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:27 pm

The 2012 Buckeyes got rings for their 12-0 season, which raised some eyebrows around the country, since the team didn't win any conference championship, or obviously, any bowl game.

They were the Leaders Division champions though, and that's what the rings say...interesting too how Urban has embraced the traditional refusal to call Michigan by its name

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr- ... ncaaf.html

danwismar

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:34 pm

Well I guess that's what Meyer is all about- there are winners and losers, on the team level down to the individual level. Rings fit that viewpoint. And if others don't like it, I'm kind of wondering how it's their business anyway.

If they go undefeated this regular season, I'd be fine with some sort of Buckeye ceremony on the field in Ann Arbor... ha
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:37 pm

Bruce Feldman comes to Columbus and interviews Mickey Marotti...some good stuff ...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ohio-state

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:40 pm

Marotti was the most important hire Meyer made.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena