Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Draft Nears/Nothing Clears...Tick-Tock

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Draft Nears/Nothing Clears...Tick-Tock

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:00 am

I like this if I'm the Browns. This is their trade down option and I mentioned it a month ago or so once it became clear Jake Long was not going back to Miami.

I'd like it a lot if they could work out a deal to drop down to 12 and pick up the Dolphins extra 2nd rounder (they have an extra 2nd and extra 3rd).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... raft-radar
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Draft Nears/Nothing Clears...Tick-Tock

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:41 am

As I stated elsewhere recently, it looks like the Cleveland Fans are finally smarting up. I've never seen things this quiet during a FA/draft run. The shittiness has finally worn down the most stubborn fan-base in the world.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby rk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:37 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:As I stated elsewhere recently, it looks like the Cleveland Fans are finally smarting up. I've never seen things this quiet during a FA/draft run. The shittiness has finally worn down the most stubborn fan-base in the world.

I don't believe it has much, if anything, to do with the fans. Just a couple factors coming together to keep everyone reasonably quiet.

1) New coaches means nobody really has a baseline to work with. It would have been easy to say we HAD to upgrade the secondary if the coaching staff stayed the same but everyone's kinda curious how much of a difference the coaches will make. Most people are optimistic, because of no real good reason, that the coaches know what they need better than our own lying eyes.

2) There's no real good fit on the draft board with what the Browns need. If Luck was out there or RGIII or even a big time WR like AJ Green then it'd be different. Instead there's a grouping of pass rushers and none of them seem to really be that much different than the other guy. Milliner seems to fit what everybody wanted at the end of 2012 but plenty of people would be happy with trading down even if he's there.

3) The Browns did make plenty of moves in FA even if there were really only two 'big' acquisitions. While some people are bitching they didn't do enough (particularly in the secondary) nobody seems to be able to say that the moves they did do were a waste. The biggest reaction so far was letting Dawson walk but that's mollified by his age and the pretty persistent view that he was ready to move on.

All in all I don't think the 'shittiness' is what's causing this so much as the way things have lined up in FA and the draft. There's not that much excitement for the draft because nobody is looking at the Browns to draft a QB, RB, WR, or any huge names from huge programs. Not to mention they don't have a 2nd rnd pick and Browns fans have gotten used to having multiple high impact picks the first two days of the draft.
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
rk

Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Unread postby noles1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:48 pm

If a trade back is in play then I find it far more the logical choice with the current state of this roster. Still Miami isn't making that deal until draft day and when it actually plays out. (namely needing to see Joeckel and possibly Fisher going in first 5)

That said, if we can move back then I think a guy like Trufant or Rhodes fits really well with our scheme under Horton. In the 2nd I think it puts us in play for the next tier of safeties. Could even see a guy like Tavon Austin intruiging the regime if we move into the teens.

Looking forward to the entertainment of the draft but at this point, I have no idea what the hell to expect for this year's draft.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:16 pm

rk wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:As I stated elsewhere recently, it looks like the Cleveland Fans are finally smarting up. I've never seen things this quiet during a FA/draft run. The shittiness has finally worn down the most stubborn fan-base in the world.

All in all I don't think the 'shittiness' is what's causing this so much as the way things have lined up in FA and the draft. There's not that much excitement for the draft because nobody is looking at the Browns to draft a QB, RB, WR, or any huge names from huge programs. Not to mention they don't have a 2nd rnd pick and Browns fans have gotten used to having multiple high impact picks the first two days of the draft.

It's either ignorance or apathy.

I don't know and I don't care.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:39 pm

There's just not a lot of exciting prospects. I'd be fine with a number of pass rushers, but I'll believe they'll be good NFL players when I see it. Milliner has risen up "my" draft board, but that's more because the position is such a gaping need than anything else. Other than that.... Meh.

The formation change created some holes and necessitates filling said holes just to be functional, depth be damned. Means it's likely that 2013 will just be more of the same, hard to get overly excited about it.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby municipalmutt » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:42 am

Another five-year-plan with it probably being blown up two years from now as usual. Not much to get excited about. They took one of the few strengths on the team (D-line) and marginalized it by switching schemes again. We didn't have 3 good LBs we sure as shit don't have 4. They didn't properly address the secondary in FA. The guards suck and nothing was done about it yet either. But here's my favorite part to not get excited about: the draft is coming and Lombardi will be running it.
municipalmutt

Unread postby jerryroche » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:33 pm

rk wrote:New coaches means nobody really has a baseline to work with. It would have been easy to say we HAD to upgrade the secondary if the coaching staff stayed the same but everyone's kinda curious how much of a difference the coaches will make. Most people are optimistic, because of no real good reason, that the coaches know what they need better than our own lying eyes.

Agree wholeheartedly. With all the changes since the new regime took over, my head's spinning. Hard to get overly excited about a buncha guys that even the staunchest fan doesn't know a whole lot about (and that includes TRich and the redhead). Hoping the new regime knows what it's doing, but right now I'm not expecting anything more than a five-win season — and I'm not expecting the draft to make a whole helluva lot of difference.

Maybe it's the cynicism (and pessimism) that Benz refers to in his post today:
This is Cleveland, and this is how we roll.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL