Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Best show on TV

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Best show on TV

Unread postby SOBO » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:39 pm

.....bar none....

Vic Mackey is my anti-hero. (obviously)

:D
Last edited by SOBO on Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOBO
NFL Draft Guru

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:44 am

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:47 pm

Bah. You're both wrong.

Two seasons ago it was Curb Your Enthusiasm, but ever since the "Producers"-themed season disaster, it's been the Daily Show, with The Colbert Report now really starting to hit its stride. Anyone see Steven's latest in the Know Your District series? I was laughing so hard that I was literally crying and my entire torso ached afterwards.
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby SOBO » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:38 pm

The Colbert Report is absolutely priceless. "The Word" is easily the best bit on TV currently. I normally stay away from all things politics because they generally make my head hurt, but I love Colbert's stuff on that show. Cracks me up.
SOBO
NFL Draft Guru

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:43 pm

F Politics, I dont watch that crap.
24 hands down is the best show on TV. 2nd best show of all-time behind Seinfeld.

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:20 pm

FightDr wrote:F Politics, I dont watch that crap.
24 hands down is the best show on TV. 2nd best show of all-time behind Seinfeld.

I hate politics. They're depressing. The Daily Show & The Colbert Report, however, are very funny.

I've never watched 24. I've basically lumped it in with all the other "serious" dramas on network television and concluded without much basis that it's as silly as the rest of that nonsense. Different show, different gimmick as far as I can tell.

Seinfeld up until its last few years was a great show. However, I think Curb Your Enthusiasm did what Seinfeld used to do, but better. Like I said, up until that "Producers"-themed nightmare.
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:25 pm

24 is like no other show on TV, ever.
Thats why it is better than anything else.
Watch it, you'll see.
I get pissed when the episode is over.

Ratings

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:46 pm

I find this rather difficult, as different shows have different strengths and weaknesses, but the top ones as far as I'm concerned:

Best.

The Sopranos
Deadwood
House
Lost
Rome
Entourage

Six Feet Under was also on that list as well, but it's now fini.

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:24 pm

Cool topic.

My top 10:

1. 24- Best show. Period.

2. Lost- Love this show as well.....saw it since Day 1 and haven't missed. Although, it is starting to get a little whacked.

3. Deadwood- Ian McShane is fucking brilliant as Swearengen. The rest of the cast is great as well. I hate westerns, but this is the one exception.

4. Rome- Another HBO classic. Can't wait until the next season.

5. Two and a Half Men- I usually don't bother with sitcoms....a waste of time to me....I get more into the dramas. but this show is great.

6. Commander in Chief- I checked out the 1st episode out of curiosity as it was getting buzz....and I am hooked. I loved WestWing....but this blows it away. I usually can't stand Geena Davis, but she is great in this role. And Sutherland as the antagonist Speaker of the House is brilliantly cast.

7. Desperate Housewives- A great excuse to spend time with the wife and watch the show for the storylines (yeah, and I like Playboy because of the articles).

8. Grey's Anatomy- Another quality "wife" show I can sit down and actually watch.

9. Invasion- Another one I have watched since Day 1....hooked.

10. Sopranos- Used to be my #1.....but nothing new in about 2 years. Looking forward to the new season in March.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Top List

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:22 pm

Good call on Two and a Half Men and Commander-in-Chief. I'm not a big fan of sitcoms, but I think Charlie Sheen is brilliant in that role.

I'm hooked on Commander-in-Chief as well. Considering how polarized the country is anymore regarding politics, I was leary of this being something that would lean too far either left or right, but I must admit that the writers have done an excellent job of placing President Allen right square in the center.

The fact that it concentrates much more on the people than the policies is another point in its favor.

I especially like how they've changed Donald Sutherland over the season, after he started out being such a bastard that he'd sacrifice the country just to bring her down. The last few episodes showing him working together with the president have been very good, especially the two parter with the crippled submarine in North Korean waters.

I hadn't gotten into Grey's Anatomy yet. I think I've been turned off from medical dramas after ER jumped the shark after Mark Green died...although I obviously make an exception concerning House...but that's a completely different genre.

And my guilty pleasures are the CSI shows, although it's seldom I watch CSI:NY despite my admiration of Gary Sinese. But for the ones in Vegas and Miami, it's a sad addiction my wife got me hooked on.

Unread postby pup » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:52 pm

If you have left House off your top 10, you just have not seen it yet, it is very good. Not saying it is top 5, but well worth the hour of time.

Consig...I watch Houswives for the wife too! And that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Commander-in-Chief, might be a good show, I just can't get past the fact that it is someone's ploy to get the country ready for a female President. Please imagine to yourself...."President Hillary Clinton".

And the quote of the year from my finacee last Thursday, right after another one of my hours spent pretending to watch her show, so I can watch sports the rest of the time, "I don't know about OC anymore, it is getting pretty lame!" Music to my ears.

Just got in to the CSI thing. Vegas, very good, Miami terrible (hate Carusso), and NY somewhere in the middle.

Law and Order. Depends on the story, but I do have a thing for the chick on SVU, so that helps.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:11 pm

Here's my top nine. There are only 9 shows I watch on TV. 6 are on HBO. "Six Feet Under" would be the honorary 10th, but it is no longer on. And for the record, IMO, "Band Of Brothers" was the greatest show ever produced in the history of television.

1. The Sopranos - Forgot exactly how good this show was until I recently went back and watched the 1st three seasons On Demand, and also started seeing previews for the season coming in March.

2. 24 - Amazing drama. Edge of your seat shit, every freaking episode. Great acting for a network drama. As Spoon mentioned upthread, I am pissed when the hour is over, and constantly peer at the clock hoping theres lots of time still left.

3. Curb Your Enthusiasm - Best half hour comedy since Seinfeld, and one of the five best ever along with Seinfeld, Cheers, Threes Company, and Drew Carey.

4. Deadwood - Gritty drama about the old west. Phenomenal acting, brilliant writing, powerful characters.

5. The Wire - Amazing police drama focusing on a Baltimore special crime unit.

6. Rome - Most expensive televsion show ever produced. Brutal realism, great acting and writing like all the other HBO shows.

7. Entourage - Hysterical comedy that follows fictional mega movie star Vincent Chase and his entourage of his brother and two friends.

8. The Apprentice - Love the Donald even though his ego is alot to stomach. Very entertaining show, well produced, usually some solid eye candy and always great tense moments in the Board Room when Trup drops the hammer each week.

9. Survivor - Still gets phenomenal ratings despite being 10-12 seasons in. They do a good job of keeping it fresh, and casting unique personalities. Love the premise of this show, the king of the reality shows IMO.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby SOBO » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:38 pm

1. The Shield - Nothing comes close to the characterization of this show, along with it's great underlying stories; not to mention they really push the bounderies of basic cable.

2. Rescue Me - Funny, inventive, great characters, and sprinkle in some drama.

Sopranos
- Used to be the king, but the last season was subpar.

4. Deadwood - The gritty realism combined with some of the best dialogue currently being written is fantastic.

5. House - It's a bit forumlamatic, but the lead role of Gregory House is phenomenally written and portrayed.

6. Curb Your Enthusiam - By far the best pure comedy on TV.

7. Lost - It's like watching cinematic quality on the small screen. If i didn't come to it late, just finishing up season 1; then it might be higher on the list.

8. Battlestar Gallactica - PLEASE don't let the previous incarnation give you any predisposed thoughts. Those who love scifi with great running plots will LOVE this show.

9. My Name is Earl - Arguably the most original comedy in years.

10. How I Met Your Mother - Your basic sitcom, but laugh out loud funny. Neil Patrick Harris actually makes you forget about Doogie Howser with this role.

Survivor - Still gets phenomenal ratings despite being 10-12 seasons in. They do a good job of keeping it fresh, and casting unique personalities. Love the premise of this show, the king of the reality shows IMO

First and foremost, reality TV bites. Secondly, it's the premise that drove me nuts from day one. If you want a show about surviving; then put them on an island to survive and see what happens. All these games they play is crap in my eyes.

And I've known for quite some time I missed the 24 train. One of those shows I know you can't just jump into and I've never had the right time to jump in. So I'm thinking I'll starting putting them on my blockbuster list and watching all the seasons that way.[/b]
SOBO
NFL Draft Guru

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:42 pm

Ah yes! How could I forget about House! That is a top 5 favorite of mine.....bump everyone down and kick off Soprano's. Hugh Laurie is brilliant in that role.

And, even if I hate to admit it, I usually have about one "wife" show a night. Gotta keep the boss happy when sports are on the other 23 hours of the day. :wink:

Yes, I watch Survivor, The Apprentice, the OC, and American Idol with her. Out of those four, the OC is by far the worst. Thankfully, as Pup mentioned, she is losing interest.
consigliere

Unread postby Lebowski » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:54 pm

No love for The Office?
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:59 pm

My top 6:
1)24
2)Seinfeld, I dont care if I have seen every episode, I still watch em
3)Sopranos, layoff or no layoff, it's awesome.
4)My name is Earl, funniest shit since Seinfeld.
5)Las Vegas, the sexy women in that sexy city.
6)Nip/Tuck

I havent seen House enough but have heard good things.
The Office is good as well.

Unread postby OkiBrown » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:23 pm

Lost - The only show I know where it's more fun to talk about it the next day after watching it. And what is the deal with that damn smoke?

Extreme Makeover Home Edition - I love this show. If for no other reason than ABC/Sears actually help people who need it.

Grey's Anatomy - I was a little sick of ER shows but this one is very imaginative and fun. It's very weird though taking Patrick Dempsey as a good actor who is considered a hottie by so many women.

BUT MY FAV...

Smallville - There can be no other. Tom Welling...Kristin Kreuck...Erica Durance. Great show. At first I took it as another high school show but I started watching it in Iraq...I'm saying it's more addictive than Heroin! Doesn't hurt that Superman is the baddest dude in the Universe!
OkiBrown

Unread postby mswerb » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:41 pm

No CSI watchers out there?
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby comish » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:56 pm

1. The West Wing
2. Entourage (awesome..wish it was an hour long)
3. Deadwood (sometimes no matter how hard i try i just can't understand what they are saying :oops: )
4. Law and Order SVU
5. Rome (OUTSTANDING! First season)
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby comish » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:57 pm

oh yeah...
Grey's Anatomy is right there too..not my kind of thing normally, but i do like it :D
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby skeeforce » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:07 pm

#1 24
#2 Sopranos
#3 Deadwood
#4 Prison Break

Hey Fight Doctor,

I see you have been leaving your favorite 'OC' off your lists.
skeeforce

Unread postby Guest » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:11 pm

No CSI watchers out there?

As mentioned, my wife and I watch the Vegas and Miami versions all the time, and she watches most of the NY shows.

Excellent CSI last night, I thought, taking a different approach from the normal format.

CSI:Miami's been below average the last couple of weeks, IMNSHO. But I'm looking forward to this week's show. I know David Caruso is the guy everybody likes to take potshots at, but I really enjoy his character and his acting. For some reason, I've always liked him since I saw him as a the quiet but violent cop partner of a nebbish Robert DeNiro in "Mad Dog and Glory", with Uma Thurman and Bill Murray as the beefed up bad guy.

And I thought last season's finale of CSI, the one directed by Quentin Tarantino with Nick being buried alive, was one of the best hours of TV all year.

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:54 pm

Terrantino is awesome. Love everything that guy touches.
consigliere

Unread postby Guest » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:29 pm

I watch OC
It sure isnt in the Top 10 however
Summer is one hot bitch, that makes it worth watching.

Unread postby Naxos » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:36 pm

!) Battlestar Galactica
2) Numbers - one of the few CSI bread shows I can watch.
3) My name is Earl - great show.
Naxos

Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: DA

Unread postby mswerb » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:30 pm

CSI is one of the few shows I watch on a regular basis.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture