Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Josh Gordon vs the 2nd round pick

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Josh Gordon vs the 2nd round pick

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:47 pm

Now that we're facing up close the reality of not having a 2nd round pick this year, how do you feel about the Gordon supplemental pick last year? With all our needs, it certainly will suck not having a 2nd round pick.

I believe most of us Browns fans liked the pick at the time. However, we have all been so starved for a WR and so frustrated that the Browns seemed to never address the need in the draft, that maybe our perception might have been skewed. I also believe that most non-Browns folks at the time didn't seem as positive about the value of that supplemental pick as we might have been.

I still am very good with the pick. I feel Gordon was a great grab for us and showed the potential to be a #1 receiver. He actually exceeded my expectations (of course, I am used to being let down by our draft picks, so my expectations aren't very high). The "bird in the hand" skills and game of Gordon seem to outweigh the unknown risk and value of any 2nd rounder that might be available.

1) You guys still good with having Gordon in hand and not having a 2nd round pick?
2) Where do you think Gordon would go in this years' draft?
3) Is there a QB that might be available in the 2nd round that you think is more valuable than Gordon to us?
4) Speaking of WRs, I think the Browns should look at more WRs somewhere in this draft. You?

It will be very interesting to see who will be available in the 2nd round when the Browns would have drafted.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Re: Josh Gordon vs the 2nd round pick

Unread postby yogi » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:13 am

1) You guys still good with having Gordon in hand and not having a 2nd round pick?
yes. Physically Gordon's got the goods to be a #1, I only question his head but hope he continues to mature.

2) Where do you think Gordon would go in this years' draft?
1st round, possibly teens, this of course is projecting what would have been a very good productive year in college.

3) Is there a QB that might be available in the 2nd round that you think is more valuable than Gordon to us?

I dont think there is a QB in the entire draft that would put us in a better QB situation. Im all in on Weeden for this year, let the chips fall where they may. If he doesnt pan out with a year under his belt, an offense that best suits his talent and a couple of offensive minded coaches that will work with him amd give him good offensive game plans and calls, then I will be all in on a QB in 2014. Love that Bridgewater kid.
Speaking of which, if we do trade down, Id perefer to have a 2014 1st rounder than a 2013 2nd round pick. I want picks next year to have some ammo to get a QB or Clowney if Weeds works out.
4) Speaking of WRs, I think the Browns should look at more WRs somewhere in this draft. You?

I think we have enough youth at the WR position for now. The kids we have need to step it up a notch in route running and being a pro. I'd like to get a vet WR to stabalize the corp.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:24 pm

With all our needs, it certainly will suck not having a 2nd round pick.

It also would suck to not have a starting-caliber WR on the roster, which we wouldn't have if we didn't have Gordon.

We'd probably be hoping to pick up a starting-caliber WR in the 2nd round this year if they hadn't made the move to get him. They might even reach to get one at #6. They don't have to do that now, and they got him a year early.

So I don't even think there's much to discuss on the matter. Possibly Heckert's best move.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby bookelly » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:13 pm

I still think we trade down this draft and pick up a 2nd rounder for it. Especially if its not to far...6 to 11...and we can grab Warmack.

But the Gordon kid turned out to be a diamond in the rough. Hard to argue with the selection for sure. He was clearly worth it, even though he likely would have been drafted a bit lower considering his off-field issues.

For me, the most memorable play last year was that very pretty Weeden bomb (had to be 50 yards in the air) that Josh JUST couldn't come up with near the far endzone post. Next year he makes that catch and they win.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL