Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Spurs should get their money back

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Spurs should get their money back

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:09 pm

As you remember, the Spurs got fined in December because Coach Pop felt he needed to rest his guys. And looking at their schedule at that time, you could make a very reasonable argument to support Coach Pop.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/86958 ... ng-players

Now that the NBA commissioner thinks it just peachy that the Heat can rest LBJ,Ray and DWade at the same time, he should give Pop and the Spurs back their $1/4 million.

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamihe ... miami-heat

It is either OK to rest guys, or it is not.

Since when should a commissioner determine when a coach can/should rest his guys and when he can't. That is purely a coaches decision.

The Spurs fine was always a bunch of crap and it still is.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Re: Spurs should get their money back

Unread postby bac5665 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:53 pm

Mid market vs. core franchise.

Why I hate the NBA, and Stern.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:02 pm

Uhm, had Pop not been Pop and faked injuries instead of openly stating everyone was fine he just didn't want to play them for a nationally televised game he wouldn't have gotten fine.

The best thing about Pop is his "I Don't Give A Fuck" demeaner and his awesomeness in interviews. The interview he did about not playing his players that day was a giant middle finger to Stern and TNT, which is why he was fined.

So, no, the Heat resting players "for injuries" doesn't have a single fucking thing to do w/ the Spurs fine and it has less than nothing to do with "Mid-Market v. Core Franchise" bullshit.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:24 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Uhm, had Pop not been Pop and faked injuries instead of openly stating everyone was fine he just didn't want to play them for a nationally televised game he wouldn't have gotten fine.

The best thing about Pop is his "I Don't Give A Fuck" demeaner and his awesomeness in interviews. The interview he did about not playing his players that day was a giant middle finger to Stern and TNT, which is why he was fined.

So, no, the Heat resting players "for injuries" doesn't have a single fucking thing to do w/ the Spurs fine and it has less than nothing to do with "Mid-Market v. Core Franchise" bullshit.

I get the "injuries" vs "rest" line, but that's all semantics and EVERYONE knows it. The bottom line is a coach should be able to determine when his guys (particularly his veteran guys) need a day off. He is the head coach. That's his job to balance short-term goals with long-term goals and determine what's best for his team. If he does a bad job of it, he gets fired.

And I agree, eye, I love Pop's candor.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:33 pm

The point is if Pop doesn't flip off Stern by stating everyone was fine and sitting them for a national TV game he doesn't get fined.

If you openly fuck with Stern you get fined, it's just the way of the land. Pop could have gotten away with sitting them had he wanted to, that is the point.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby bac5665 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:38 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:If you openly fuck with Stern you get fined, it's just the way of the land. Pop could have gotten away with sitting them had he wanted to, that is the point.

And if you run your league like a mob boss, you get criticized, that just the way it is.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:49 pm

? I mean I get that, but Stern was minding his own business when Pop went public that he was sitting his entire team (he fucking sat DANNY GREEN) for a national game for absolutely no reason.

It was just Pop being Pop.

This discussion is incredibly stupid.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:07 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:This discussion is incredibly stupid.

A quarter-million dollar stupid? Just a little over-kill.
I guess the issue is magnified for me due to my great distaste for the team in South Beach.
OldDawg

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA