Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

04/03 - Indians @ Jays - The Ubaldo Experience

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: 04/03 - Indians @ Jays - The Ubaldo Experience

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:50 am

skatingtripods wrote: It looked like Francona/Callaway were calling the game, not Santana. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got.

The reasons for optimism keep on coming.

Did Ubaldo shake off any signs?
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:38 am

I just like the composition of the bullpen this season. I like having, with the exception of Smith, power arms with more margin for error than guys like Raffy Perez and Tony Sipp.

You can argue that Pestano isn't overpowing but his movement, control and deception and 92-94mph which isn't exactly finesse) has held up consistently for a couple years and multiple times through the league.

And I don't put a great deal of blame on Perez. Guys like Bautista are going to get you every once in a while.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby bac5665 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:46 am

Yeah, it's pretty hard to blame Perez when Bautista hits a clutch HR.

All of these impressions are way too early, but I am liking the team so far. We feel much more like a real team that in previous years, where we felt like a team holding the ship together with bubblegum and duct tape.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:48 am

peeker643 wrote:I just like the composition of the bullpen this season. I like having, with the exception of Smith, power arms with more margin for error than guys like Raffy Perez and Tony Sipp.

And I don't put a great deal of blame on Perez. Guys like Bautista are going to get you every once in a while.

Agreed. I was impressed with the life on Bryan Shaw's fastball as well. Looks like Cody Allen has been passed on the depth chart by at least Shaw and probably Albers as well. Seems he will be the odd man out when we get Kazmir and Giambi back.

I don't blame Perez either. I give him a lot of credit for fighting back from 3-0 on Melky to get that first out. That was huge. Probably could have thrown a second slider to Bautista who looked so bad on the first one, but he was going to have to throw him a fastball at some point. Thought he could sneak it by on the inner half, but it didn't get in enough.

I still don't think Francona should have let Perez work back-to-back days after missing nearly all of Spring and not getting to work back-to-back days like the other pen guys did. But, he must have felt he was fine.

If need be, who's your closer today? Pestano working three straight?
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:19 am

I think the bullpen today is a mix of Allen, Shaw, Hill and Albers. I think all of Perez, Pestano, Perez get the day off. Hopefully Myers goes 7. He may whether he deserves to or not ;-) ;) :wink:

This Myers-Beuhrle matchup reeks of 2003.

skatingtripods wrote:
peeker643 wrote:I just like the composition of the bullpen this season. I like having, with the exception of Smith, power arms with more margin for error than guys like Raffy Perez and Tony Sipp.

Agreed. I was impressed with the life on Bryan Shaw's fastball as well. Looks like Cody Allen has been passed on the depth chart by at least Shaw and probably Albers as well. Seems he will be the odd man out when we get Kazmir and Giambi back.

I don't blame Perez either. I give him a lot of credit for fighting back from 3-0 on Melky to get that first out. That was huge. Probably could have thrown a second slider to Bautista who looked so bad on the first one, but he was going to have to throw him a fastball at some point. Thought he could sneak it by on the inner half, but it didn't get in enough.

I still don't think Francona should have let Perez work back-to-back days after missing nearly all of Spring and not getting to work back-to-back days like the other pen guys did. But, he must have felt he was fine.

If need be, who's your closer today? Pestano working three straight?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:45 pm

peeker643 wrote:I think the bullpen today is a mix of Allen, Shaw, Hill and Albers. I think all of Perez, Pestano, Perez get the day off. Hopefully Myers goes 7. He may whether he deserves to or not ;-) ;) :wink:

This Myers-Beuhrle matchup reeks of 2003.

I'm fine with that. May not see Hill either. Injury waiting to happen and pitched yesterday. Doubt he goes three days in a row if needed on Friday and Lind is really the only lefty that can occasionally hurt you.

Francona seems high on Shaw. Maybe he's your closer tonight.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:06 pm

googleeph2 wrote:
skatingtripods wrote: It looked like Francona/Callaway were calling the game, not Santana. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got.

Yes, plenty.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Brantley // Irving
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby pup » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:11 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:
googleeph2 wrote:

Yes, plenty.

Not to jack up any theories, there is a sign designated for a pitcher to shake off a "call".
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:15 pm

Kyle Boddy weighs in on what he saw mechanically from Ubaldo in yesterday's outing:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/blog_ ... .-reality/

For those who are too lazy to click, here's one image Boddy put in the article:

This is 2010 v. 2013

It is widely held that arm action cannot (or should not) be directly changed by manipulating the movement of the throwing arm; that instead, we should use the glove arm and other things in the delivery to make the changes we desire in the throwing arm. That is what Thorburn, Callaway, and others are espousing. Jimenez now has an incredible shoulder tilt, a pitching arm that is pinned to his side during the linear shift, a glove arm that gets no extension, a soft front side, and a stride angle that deflects open by an outrageous amount (which has strong correlation with increased elbow valgus stress).
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby 7foot3 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:42 pm

skatingtripods wrote:I don't blame Perez either. I give him a lot of credit for fighting back from 3-0 on Melky to get that first out. That was huge. Probably could have thrown a second slider to Bautista who looked so bad on the first one, but he was going to have to throw him a fastball at some point. Thought he could sneak it by on the inner half, but it didn't get in enough.

Santana was set up at least on the outside corner, if not off the plate. They weren't trying to sneak anything by Bautista, Perez just completely missed his spot. Bad pitch, and it happens. Hopefully it doesn't continue to happen to great hitters in one run games.
My avatar is a reflection of Peeker's maturity and self-confidence.
7foot3
Zack Greinke of the Boards

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:51 pm

7foot3 wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:I don't blame Perez either. I give him a lot of credit for fighting back from 3-0 on Melky to get that first out. That was huge. Probably could have thrown a second slider to Bautista who looked so bad on the first one, but he was going to have to throw him a fastball at some point. Thought he could sneak it by on the inner half, but it didn't get in enough.

Santana was set up at least on the outside corner, if not off the plate. They weren't trying to sneak anything by Bautista, Perez just completely missed his spot. Bad pitch, and it happens. Hopefully it doesn't continue to happen to great hitters in one run games.

Yep- missed it by probably a good foot and the ball moved back to inner half and thigh high.

Exceelent hitters don't miss that pitch too often. And I still have no idea why they didn't double up on the slider that ended up in the left handed batter's box. Bautista was looking fastball from the time he picked up his bat. After that first pitch that was pretty damn clear. He wouldn't have seen one from me until he showed he wasn't going to lunge at the slider.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:55 pm

7foot3 wrote:

My bad. Didn't notice Santana set up away. Haven't watched it again.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB