Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

"Browns Enter Into Groundbreaking Radio Deal"

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

"Browns Enter Into Groundbreaking Radio Deal"

Unread postby idoctribefan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:33 pm

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/art ... e282a2e02c

Browns games to be heard on three local stations starting in 2013 as part of an expansive radio rights deal.

In one of the most expansive radio rights deals in the NFL, the Browns today announced a long-term partnership with two local all-sports stations, CBS RADIO’s 92.3 The Fan (WKRK-FM) and ESPN 850 WKNR, to broadcast all Browns games. CBS RADIO’s WNCX (98.5 FM) will also carry live game action beginning in 2013, as the team will now have a triplecast of games in the local market.

Bad news for anyone who wants to listen to the games outside the state of Ohio. I can pick up WTAM 1100 in my car all the way to Des Moines. I usually lose 850 WKNR before I get to Vermilion. Also bad news for anyone that hates listening to Aaron Goldhammer. Unfortunately his stench will likely be all over that 4-hour pregame show.

On the positive side, at least we probably won't have to listen to Mike Trivisonno provide his "expertise" during the pregame show anymore.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Re: "Browns Enter Into Groundbreaking Radio Deal"

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:19 pm

idoctribefan wrote:Bad news for anyone who wants to listen to the games outside the state of Ohio. I can pick up WTAM 1100 in my car all the way to Des Moines. I usually lose 850 WKNR before I get to Vermilion. Also bad news for anyone that hates listening to Aaron Goldhammer. Unfortunately his stench will likely be all over that 4-hour pregame show.

Sirius/XM has the Browns Radio guys if you're willing to hand over a few bucks during the months of August thru December.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:56 pm

idoctribefan wrote:Bad news for anyone who wants to listen to the games outside the state of Ohio. I can pick up WTAM 1100 in my car all the way to Des Moines. I usually lose 850 WKNR before I get to Vermilion. Also bad news for anyone that hates listening to Aaron Goldhammer. Unfortunately his stench will likely be all over that 4-hour pregame show.

Can you pick it up in Iowa during the day when most Browns games are played...? I know I had no problem listing to Tribe games at night when I lived in Missouri, but the channel would only come in after the sun went down.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:13 pm

I don't think "ground-breaking" means what they think it means.

The big winner in all of this is WTAM.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:50 pm

Trivisanno is PISSED.

Saying that Jimmy Donovan is the worst play by play guy in sports, etc.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:12 pm

The only change with this will be Booms instantly becoming the biggest Haslem supporter in America, and Triv instantly becoming the biggest Haslem Hater. That being said Booms and Triv are made for each other , and from what I hear about Booms, Triv might be just his type. (inlove)
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby idoctribefan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:02 pm

Govbarney wrote:

Can you pick it up in Iowa during the day when most Browns games are played...? I know I had no problem listing to Tribe games at night when I lived in Missouri, but the channel would only come in after the sun went down.

I drove back from my parents' house in Nebraska on Dec 26th of this past year. On that day a big storm was moving from Texas up through these parts and I wanted to keep tabs on the weather. I turned my dial to 1100 just after I got past Iowa City at about 2pm and I was getting WTAM fairly clearly. Now and then it would go out but come back sooner than later. You're right though, the signal is clearer once the sun goes down.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby Spin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:02 pm

Why the fuck would they put the games on three Cleveland stations?

So they drop 97.5 and 1100, and replace them with three stations that don't come in for shit in some areas around Akron. Way to not get market saturation. People in Cuy Co get three stations with the same goddamn thing on them, while suburban Akron gets dead zones.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Squints » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:59 pm

idoctribefan wrote:
Govbarney wrote:

I drove back from my parents' house in Nebraska on Dec 26th of this past year. On that day a big storm was moving from Texas up through these parts and I wanted to keep tabs on the weather. I turned my dial to 1100 just after I got past Iowa City at about 2pm and I was getting WTAM fairly clearly. Now and then it would go out but come back sooner than later. You're right though, the signal is clearer once the sun goes down.

I think you guys are full of it. WTAM goes in and out of reception here in Erie and you all claim reception out on the prairie. :cheers:
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:48 pm

92.3 will never mention the Indians again, except on Opening Day, when they spend 10 hours talking about what each member of the Browns thinks about baseball.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby fairvis » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:07 pm

Squints wrote:I think you guys are full of it. WTAM goes in and out of reception here in Erie and you all claim reception out on the prairie. :cheers:

I would get WTAM regularly in Huntsville, Alabama. Had to be after the sun went down, and I had to be in certain parts of the city, but I'd be able to listen to a ball game driving home late at night. But it would also go out halfway down the drive to Columbus.

Radio transmission throughout the atmosphere is a fickle bitch.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:53 am

Pretty good TAM reception in southwest OH. For evening Browns games (eg. exhibition games), it was: listen on a Dayton station, and then when they powered down, TAM was clear enough.

So I guess that's over.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby smalls1129 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:49 am

Yea beyond the personalities of each station I can't believe the Browns would make this move and not even consider the broadcast signal of each signal. I am down in Columbia, Sc and last year for the Oakland game I didn't make it home in time to watch the beginning of the game but sure enough I tuned in 1100 on the car radio and the game came in loud and clear. From 38 states and half of Canada to not even Westlake...one hell of a trade off.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chances two separate glances meet and I am you and what I see his me."
smalls1129

Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Squire James

Unread postby jerryroche » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:53 am

smalls1129 wrote:Yea beyond the personalities of each station I can't believe the Browns would make this move and not even consider the broadcast signal of each signal. I am down in Columbia, Sc and last year for the Oakland game I didn't make it home in time to watch the beginning of the game but sure enough I tuned in 1100 on the car radio and the game came in loud and clear. From 38 states and half of Canada to not even Westlake...one hell of a trade off.

Weren't these new guys supposed to be business savants? If the time ever comes that the Browns are appearing on Monday Night or Thursday Night Football (I know: wishful thinking), we'll be stuck listening to the idiot national commentators on the telecasts rather than the idiot local radio commentators. Oh well, six of one, half-dozen of another, I suppose.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:30 am

Ya just gotta spend the $ now- online/cable/bars. Used to be, I could get Browns TV games on distant Dayton TV using creative antennas. Now, with the digital signal, not an option.

Way back in the day, when I was a kid, we'd watch blacked out games on a faint, snowy London, Ontario channel.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:34 am

I guess if your outside of Ohio you may be screwed for the rare occasion there is a Browns night game , but no matter where you live in Ohio there will be a Browns affiliate station for you, in Cbus its 105.7 The Brew.

850 am is weird b/c I can pick it up during the day in north Columbus, and the signal gets stronger at night. But when I am back home in Euclid there are huge chunks of the city that are dead zones to 850.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:24 pm

Will the Browns still be moving left to right on my radio dial?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:37 pm

I can usually get TAM at night out here on the majestic shores of missouri river, sometimes I listen in the morning on the way to work if i'm out before dawn. Loved listening to joe tait when I first moved out here 7 yrs ago. God I miss joe tait...
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:01 pm

I listen to WTAM every night in NYC. Now I have to pray the Indians and Cavs (ie teams I listen to all the time, not once a year) don't switch.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby rk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:20 pm

Amazing how all of you know what the Internet is and yet none of you know that streaming audio exists.
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
rk

Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL