Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Justified, again!...........

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Justified, again!...........

Unread postby dem425 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:18 pm

I'm sure that this is a redux, but

The Wire....The Shield......Sons of Anarchy........and now, Justified.

Having shirt-tail shanty Irish relations from Wellsville, Ohio and Harlan County, Kentucky, I can attest that this is one of the best portrayed series that has ever been on TV.

BTW, Raylan Givens is one of the baddest Mo'Fo' on television.....My biggest complaint is that he was drinking Beam on last night's episode. I would have preferred he was drinking Woodford or Maker's but still a great program.
dem425

Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Re: Justified, again!...........

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:24 pm

Yes, I love this show. I've read a lot of Elmore Leonard, adn one of my favorite things about the show to begin with was how "Elmore Leonardy" the characters were. I think they've lost some of that quirkiness by now but it's still a great show.

Walton Goggins who playes Boyd Crowder has fast become one of my favorite actors on the tube. Dude is awesome.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:44 pm

I tried to watch the show.... I really did. But I dropped out about 6 episodes into season 1. I was thinking Seth Bullock, but I got something different.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby dem425 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:10 pm

dem425 wrote:Walton Goggins who playes Boyd Crowder has fast become one of my favorite actors on the tube. Dude is awesome

He was fantastic on "The Shield" and really brings a lot to the character on Justified.
dem425

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:20 am

Meh.

The first six episodes of Justified were Law and Order style boring. Picked up some pace and the last three of last season were great (leading into this season which has been great).

That said there is little depth or emotion in the show. It still hasn’t touched Season 2 Sons of Anarchy quality (don’t get me started on the season 3 suck). I actually think I still prefer Lights Out right now (sadface).

Good show. Quality show in a time period where most of TV sucks and Community and Parks and Rec are carrying everything else (holy fuck last weeks Community was a piece of art).

But mentioning it with The Wire?

Not even similar.

Comping it to The Shield is solid. And this week did bring some serious acting into the equation, with Raylon and Momma Bennett going off. Who knew Timothy Olephant could act? Oh wait, he’s still just playing the same character he has been playing for five years….

And as much as I like Boyd they gotta shit or get off the pot with this introspective bullshit. Too strong of an actor to keep this going.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:14 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I tried to watch the show.... I really did. But I dropped out about 6 episodes into season 1. I was thinking Seth Bullock, but I got something different.

Same here. The first season focused too much on stand-alone episodes where Raylan just went after an idiot bad guy instead of focusing enough on the serial story of Raylan vs. Boyd. I heard good things from Simmons' TV guy (Alan Sepinwall) so I started watching it again with the start of season 2 and it's been much better than season 1. The character of Mags Bennett especially has been fantastic. Still no where near The Wire though. Blasphemy to mention them in the same sentence really.

Really the one thing I don't like about the show seems to be the one thing everyone loves: The dialogue. This is bum-fuck Kentucky and all these people talk like they're reading Descartes or in a Shakespearean play, Boyd especially though he can pull it off. The young girl that Mags Bennett took in is the worst. One piece I remember specifically for how unbelievable it was was an exchange between her and Raylan where Raylan shows up at the store unexpectedly and she says:

"Marshall may I inquire as to your intentions today?"

I've lived in Cincinnati and been to Kentucky many times and knew people from Kentucky; that's not Kentucky, not even close, especially from a 13-year old girl who doesn't even go to school. In Kentucky they'd say, "Whatchu here fo'? or "Whatchu want?" Just completely takes me out of the element of the series. I know it's Elmore Leonard but I just can't get past it.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby dem425 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:53 pm

In mentioning "The Wire" and "Justified" together was to indicate good, fun to watch programs..........No intent to step on anyone's grail...............

The characters portrayed on Justified are an amalgam of people that come out of that area....Believe it or not, there are some educated folk in Harlan that preferred to be recognized as "Mountain William" people......However, most of the others are generally seen as summer teeth, red-neck, ramp-eating, coal-mining, black-land farmers living on the "tops" and in the holler.........And there are plenty of those, too..
dem425

Unread postby hiko » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:26 pm

WTF is this? I've never heard of this show. Is it some cop show? I don't watch fuckin' cop shows.

Well, except Dexter, but I like to consider that a show about a serial killer who just happens to be a cop.

Cop shows, lawyer shows, hospital shows, reality TV shows, shows about housewives... ix-nay on the otch-way.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby jb » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:47 pm

Is it possible to jump into the J-fied series ow if you never watched it before?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:50 pm

You can shake off season 1, but I would make an effort to catch up on all of season 2. Should be On Demand if they have that in Youngstown these days.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:41 pm

FWIW: Sepinwall claims that tonights Justified episode is the best ever. And even though I prefer the AV Club crew to Sepinwall he isn't an idiot.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:52 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:FWIW: Sepinwall claims that tonights Justified episode is the best ever. And even though I prefer the AV Club crew to Sepinwall he isn't an idiot.

I like Sepinwall but I'm getting so that Feinberg makes me want to shove a sharp object as far up my left nostril as it will go and then hit it with my shoe.

What's AV club? a Podcast?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:44 am

Iceberg and Firewall is intolerable. I find myself agreeing with Feinberg's points more often than not but wanting to kill him for his corny existence.

Either way when it comes to TV I have quit podcats, just read Sepinwall's reviews and read the reviews at AVClub.com.

Find AVClub smarter and Sepinwall more public consumption.

Read don't listen.

And the AVClub has a pod. Don't recommend it at all.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:11 pm

I wanna come right on this.

I said meh half way through the season here when this show was running a 7 episode hot streak after a crappy (not really crappy, just not my style) first half of the first season, but the progression of this season has really taken this up a notch.

I mean Season 2 here is mentionable with Breaking Bad and Mad Men. Not on an all-time list, but talk about an effing show finding itself. Last night’s finally was amazing.

My skepticism was wrong and I’m really glad I stuck with this through it’s growing pains.

The parallels between this show’s awesomeness and Winter’s Bone are hard to ignore. Almost makes me like some rednecks.

Maybe I should listen to yall and try GoT now.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu May 05, 2011 9:11 pm

Damn, I can't wait to watch the finale now. I liked this show last season, but you're right, this season kicks last season's ass. Mags Bennet was just a great idea for the "villain", if that's what she is.

I do wish the characters were still just as Elmore Leonardy as I thought they were in the pilot, but there is still some of that, even if it does seem muted a bit now.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby JJN » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:35 am

Justified is back. First episode was good. More one-liners tonight than I remember, but they were humorous enough to get over some of the groan-factor. The quickdraw scene was brilliantly played, IMO.
JJN

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

Unread postby jerryroche » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:46 am

Losing last season's baddie Margo Martindale, the writers have gone for quantity over quality. Enough bad guys to last the season, even though the Gunfighter and the Business Turd were eliminated pretty quickly. Neal McDonough, Jere Burns, Mykelti WIlliamson. Am I missing anyone? Oh, yeah, the best of all, Boyd Crowder!
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:06 pm

Just thought I'd bump this one on up for those of us still loving this show.

Last night's episode, "Decoy," has to be the best hour of television so far this year (And Game of Thrones has yet to start).

AV Club's review nailed it: It will be hard to find a movie in the action/thriller/suspense genre in the theater this year that will be better written and paced than last night's episode.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby jerryroche » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:08 pm

Wow. Just wow.

Only two episodes to go in Season 4. And the shit will fly. Colt and Nicky Augustine are definitely gonna catch a couple silver bullets from Raylan's six-shooter. Winn Duffy and Limehouse may be short-timers, too. Wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Boyd put an end to Cousin Johnny's "evil, back-stabbing ways," either.

Take cover.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture