Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Kansas City - Hey, hey, hey, hey

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Kansas City - Hey, hey, hey, hey

Unread postby bookelly » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:05 pm

Looking at the boxscore for today's Tribe vs. KC game and I was astonished by how many guys they have that are absolutely raking. I know it's ST, but this team is poised to make some serious noise in the near future.

http://stats.cleveland.com/mlb/boxscore.asp?gamecode=330314105&final=true

And yeah, small sample size yada yada yada....but look at those numbers? Some are insane!
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: Kansas City - Hey, hey, hey, hey

Unread postby Prosecutor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:50 pm

I read that their team batting average is something like 36 points higher than the next closest team. And look at those slugging percentages!

However, the Royals were 12th of 14 in runs scored last year and it's not like they traded for Albert Pujols. We'll just have to see what happens once the real games start, but I think they could be a very good offensive team.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby jerryroche » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:13 pm

Most spring training stats mean absolutely nothing. Absolutely, positively nothing. For the most part (at least through the first three weeks), pitchers are working on control, location and certain pitches in their repertoire.

The only stats that can possibly mean anything are those compiled in the one week before the start of the season, when everybody's getting into a full competitive mode and rosters have been pretty much trimmed of the lesser talents.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Wild Thang
Least Favorite Player: Ratlisberger

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:54 pm

jerryroche wrote:Most spring training stats mean absolutely nothing. Absolutely, positively nothing. For the most part (at least through the first three weeks), pitchers are working on control, location and certain pitches in their repertoire.

The only stats that can possibly mean anything are those compiled in the one week before the start of the season, when everybody's getting into a full competitive mode and rosters have been pretty much trimmed of the lesser talents.

Truth.

But these guys have pedigrees and they've been well regarded since high school. The Royals have some guys that can rake and many will be legit.

Sadly, they have no pitching. So they'll be losing a lot of 11-9 games like another team I know.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby pup » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:54 pm

To be fair, they haven't had Eric Hosmer around to bring them down.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby bookelly » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:21 pm

Bump from 2013 ST.

Looks like they put it together. Also looks like the Tribe is suddenly in a very tough division.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:23 am

bookelly wrote:Bump from 2013 ST.

Looks like they put it together. Also looks like the Tribe is suddenly in a very tough division.

They're that cliche'd example of "Get in and anything can happen". They're hot, they're confident and they're feeding off a big hit or big play.

I hope they win the whole effing thing.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby scrambler » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:27 am

peeker643 wrote:

They're that cliche'd example of "Get in and anything can happen". They're hot, they're confident and they're feeding off a big hit or big play.

I am pulling for them big time....could result in hangover effect (see Giants 2013 and Red Sox 2014!) I've always got my eye on the prize! I've also seen a lot of their players play low rookie single A ball as I live very close to their Idaho Falls outlet. Moustakas, Butler, Perez, Holland I've all seen play when they were babies so that's a little fun too.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:35 am

Hope I'm not putting my "kiss of death" on the Royals by rooting for them.

Kansas City is a wonderful town that is truly representative of the Great Midwest. Can't say the same thing about Baltimore--by a long shot. Royals and Chiefs fans haven't seen a championship for a long, long time. They deserve one--almost as much as we pro sports fans in Cleveland do.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Wild Thang
Least Favorite Player: Ratlisberger

Unread postby scrambler » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:45 am

But, yes, another example of fall baseball insanity. For all the A's issues and complete implosion, the Royals had zero business winning the wildcard game going to the bottom of the 7th trailing Lester by 4 runs. Now both the Royals and Cardinals, two powerless teams all season long are both hitting home runs at the rate of 90s 'roid teams in October. It's become bizarre it has.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:37 am

peeker643 wrote:

Jonah Keri wrote about them and their offensive explosion in the postseason a couple days ago. His hex is undefeated so far this season.

I can't root for anybody in the ALC, so I'm cheering for Baltimore. Overall, I guess I wouldn't be pained to see Masterson get a ring with the Cardinals.

The Royals are giving a lot of other teams hope. Shutdown bullpen, patchwork rotation, defense and speed, and they're getting power at the right time. Ultimately, it's kind of surprising. With such an increase in strikeouts, the Royals (and Orioles) defense is playing such a huge role in their overall season and now playoff performance. It just shows the importance of fielding balls in play when there are less and less.

Even winning in spite of their manager, who has to be one of the worst in baseball, if not the worst now that Kirk Gibson has been fired.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:38 am

skatingtripods wrote:The Royals are giving a lot of other teams hope. Shutdown bullpen, patchwork rotation, defense and speed, and they're getting power at the right time. Ultimately, it's kind of surprising. With such an increase in strikeouts, the Royals (and Orioles) defense is playing such a huge role in their overall season and now playoff performance. It just shows the importance of fielding balls in play when there are less and less.

I've been waiting for your take on them. I personally am a big fan- walks, steals and hits- small ballish (they hit the 2 bagger pretty well). What's their SABR grade?

And how far do they go in proving The Reverend's theory that any manager is only worth a few wins?

Solid team BA, very few Ks, productive ABs (outs or otherwise)- play for the run, get the run.

New shift in baseball thinking (actually back to what good teams have been doing since the game started)?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:58 am

Erie Warrior wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:The Royals are giving a lot of other teams hope. Shutdown bullpen, patchwork rotation, defense and speed, and they're getting power at the right time. Ultimately, it's kind of surprising. With such an increase in strikeouts, the Royals (and Orioles) defense is playing such a huge role in their overall season and now playoff performance. It just shows the importance of fielding balls in play when there are less and less.

I've been waiting for your take on them. I personally am a big fan- walks, steals and hits- small ballish (they hit the 2 bagger pretty well). What's their SABR grade?

And how far do they go in proving The Reverend's theory that any manager is only worth a few wins?

Solid team BA, very few Ks, productive ABs (outs or otherwise)- play for the run, get the run.

New shift in baseball thinking (actually back to what good teams have been doing since the game started)?

Actually they go quite far in proving my point - cause if you'da taken a vote before the playoffs on "worst manager" - Ned Yost might a won the league. Basically panned wire to wire this year for dopey moves - including about single handedly blowing the wild card game.

And he's your World Series manager.

And I'd also say the defense and "play for a run" are nice. But their scoring is up in the post season cause they are hitting dongs at a much higher rate than the ragular season.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:15 am

Erie Warrior wrote:I've been waiting for your take on them. I personally am a big fan- walks, steals and hits- small ballish (they hit the 2 bagger pretty well). What's their SABR grade?

The thing is, and this narrative has been passed around Twitter the last 12 hours or so, the Royals front office is actually pretty big into sabermetrics. It may be a modified version given how much Yost bunts and that first inning bunt yesterday nearly gave everybody I follow on Twitter an aneurysm. Of course both runs scored because of an error to fuel the "sabermetrics are stupid" crowd. There could be an inefficiency of guys that make contact and speed, since the OBP generation is showing lower batting averages and higher walks rates than ever before. It's different. I also think it has helped that the Royals drew an Orioles rotation that already pitches to contact and an Angels rotation that really needed Garrett Richards to be effective.

Defense is the new inefficiency. Look at the Pirates. They started shifting far more than normal and it helped their patchwork rotation into the playoffs last season. It's worked for them. The Royals are proving how important defense is. Swiping bags every now and then helps and if you have the team for it, you can outweigh the negative of getting thrown out. The break-even point for stealing bases is a 72 percent success rate, at least as of 2011. They were 81 percent in the regular season. They're 81 percent in the playoffs, too.

I think the shift we'll see in baseball is additional importance on defense, not the get 'em on, over, and in philosophy. Run (and win) expectancy charts prove time and time again that if you play for one run, you'll get one run or no runs. I think it may have more of an application in the playoffs, where run environments tend to be lower. But, overall, you're better off playing for the big inning. It also depends on the team, though, too. The Royals hit 16 fewer HR than any other team in the regular season, so they had to score runs with small ball.

Another thing regarding defense is that the strike zone is growing. Rapidly too. There was this article at Hardball Times earlier this week that is relevant here. There are more strikeouts overall and fewer balls in play, but the pitches that hitters have to swing at are leading to weaker outs and, therefore, tougher defensive plays. More bloopers, slow choppers, etc. And you can see with more spectacular catches at the wall or on the track that outfielders are playing more shallow than ever before, or at least that's the impression that I get.

The surprising power output is a big reason why KC is rolling through the playoffs. There's no denying that. They've also won every extra inning game and every one-run game, including some fortunate bounces. It's really a perfect storm. And it's a stunning run, but I thought the AL was kind of weak once Oakland fell apart anyway. It was ripe for a team like KC to make a run. Once the Tigers got knocked out, the best rotation and best lineup were both gone. They just suck defensively and can't close out a win.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby bookelly » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:57 am

When I see the power numbers for a team like Royals go up in the PS I can't help but recall the rumors that the baseball itself was smaller and "juiced", leading to more power numbers but also tighter pitching. I think it was then current Angel Eckstein who quipped that his small hands could actually fit around a playoff ball but not a regular season one.

I wouldn't mind at all if this was true, but if it is...it should be public.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB