Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

The Geno Smith conversation

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

The Geno Smith conversation

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:59 pm

Keith Britton ‏@KeithBritton86
More confirmation from yesterday, #Browns will work out Geno Smith. Smokescreen/due diligence or not, the interest is real, make no mistake

Yeah, we're having it.

I don't even know. Is he an upgrade over Weeds? I..guess. His upside is probably bigger.

I mean the one good thing is that we have a decent offensive oriented coach in Chud, and a great OC in Norv that certainly helps things.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: The Geno Smith conversation

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:32 pm

Man, we could sure use another guy that is fine when guys are running free by 20 yards to back-up the guy we have that was fine when guys were running free by 20 yards.

Probably not as dim as Weeds, if you're looking for the upgrade.

And he's not 30.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:41 pm

I wouldn't even worry about it as he won't get past J-ville
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:06 pm

Its mid-March, it must be time to hype up mediocre QB prospects in a mediocre QB draft.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby pod2dawg » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:29 pm

If by some miracle he would fall to us , I am believing we'd be looking for the trade down and pick up a second.

This work out is actually due diligence in case Jax/Oak/Philly are smoking crack and pass him up.

Buffalo & Zona behind us will blow us to move up and take him.

He better than the Weed, BUT....... ain't in same Universe as Teddy Bridgewater.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:55 pm

I know if you don't have one you keep trying to get one. But.......

::doh::
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:36 pm

He's interesting enough and my give-a-damn is so low that I could care less if they draft him. Played the same bullshit Big 12 defenses and got worse once he played better competition and teams figured out how to play him. #6 is probably overdrafting him, but I don't give a shit what they do (within reason) with that position until it's solved.

I can safely call Barkely a horrible option though. Fuck that guy with a rusty chainsaw.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:13 am

Hikohadon wrote:He's interesting enough and my give-a-damn is so low that I could care less if they draft him. Played the same bullshit Big 12 defenses and got worse once he played better competition and teams figured out how to play him. #6 is probably overdrafting him, but I don't give a shit what they do (within reason) with that position until it's solved.

Kind of my thoughts.

I mean the only guy that's really like "let's draft him" is Dee Milliner. And even then, the FA class is rather deep in that area.

I don't really care.

IF it's Smith, it's smith. If it's Weeds, it's Weeds.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:43 am

Triple-S wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:He's interesting enough and my give-a-damn is so low that I could care less if they draft him. Played the same bullshit Big 12 defenses and got worse once he played better competition and teams figured out how to play him. #6 is probably overdrafting him, but I don't give a shit what they do (within reason) with that position until it's solved.

Kind of my thoughts.

I mean the only guy that's really like "let's draft him" is Dee Milliner. And even then, the FA class is rather deep in that area.

I don't really care.

IF it's Smith, it's smith. If it's Weeds, it's Weeds.

I'm not sure what's the least bit interesting.

His season was over the day Texas Tech showed one look out of the huddle and changed looks at the line. This lead to Snyder bringing K. State into Morgantown - and a genius like Snyder made it way easy for his squad, and did exactly as Tech had done the week before, as you knew he would. (Making it probably the single best bet of the 2012 college football season, incidentally) In other words, against anything that resembled a pro look, the guy was exposed. Five straight losses later he was still trying to figure it out. Rallied back against the Cyclones and Jayhawks though....

Now, who the hell am I. The guy might be fine, but I don't understand how anyone on GGE could have confidence (there is certainly zero game evidence of) that the guy can do anything except hit wide open guys.

ILO, this is a guy you take a flier on - and there ain't no fliers for bad teams in the top friggin' ten.

James Madison, Texas, Maryland, Baylor, Iowa State and Kansas. Christ, perhaps people should be studying the game film from these team's defenses. The redundancy of one guy running free on a green screen would be a little much, but perhaps it would drive a point home. Probably better coverage on that 60 pass drill at the combine.

Not willing to "stab" at that pick.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:42 pm

Lead, everything you say is true.

The only thing interesting is his skill set, which is NFL quality and COULD lead to a decent career.

Will it? Meh. But he's not such an out-and-out surefire bust that I would care a whole lot if they took him, at least not nearly as much as I'd care if they took Barkely or Glennon at 6. He's way better than those guys.

Would I pick him myself if I ran the org? Hell no. I'd try to nab EJ Manuel in the 2nd via tradeup - EJ probably has more overall potential and can be had for much less.

But I wouldn't think less of LomBanner than I already do if they took Geno (damning them with faint praise).
Hikohadon

Unread postby justmebd » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:12 pm

If it's Geno or a trade-down, I'm taking the trade down and the second-round pick.

Too many holes on this team to take a stab at a borderline QB with the sixth pick IMO.

That's me, though.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby bookelly » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:05 pm

^^^ THIS
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:31 pm

justmebd wrote:If it's Geno or a trade-down, I'm taking the trade down and the second-round pick.

Too many holes on this team to take a stab at a borderline QB with the sixth pick IMO.

That's me, though.

There are a number of players I'd prefer to Smith at 6. I'd also prefer a trade down.

My preferences aside, there are scenarios that I'd shrug and say "Meh" and not freak out about and Geno is probably one of those.
Hikohadon

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:34 pm

I think the front office is doing a great job with FA so far.

Would Geno Smith be the top rated qb in next years draft? Is Geno really going to be that much better than weeds, in terms of winning games? Is QB the only thing holding us back from the playoffs?

I think there are MUCH better options in next years draft and if we are picking anywhere near the top 15 one of those guys will be there to pick. Mel Kiper would be talking about any one of those dudes as a number pick in this years draft.

I think we got other holes to fill before we worry about QB...
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Unread postby 1Perry » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:32 am

Pass on Smith. He was what he was because of having one of the best complete receiving corps in college football.

Living in WV I would rather see the Browns drop down and take a chance on Austin or Bailey. That isn't to argue that either are the next great thing as size works against both of them, but they are why Geno is even in the picture IMO.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby dmiles » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:47 pm

Still would it not be productive to have meetings with Smith, in case the trade down partner is someone looking to snag him?
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Geno no , but I am starting to turn around on this EJ Manual kid, if he is still around in the third , I pull the trigger. 6'5, 237lbs and a 4.64 forty, and a good arm. Sounds like a nice raw chunk of clay for Norv to take his time and sculpt, while we waist some time with Weeds.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:13 pm

Geno runs like an epileptic duck
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:41 pm

Govbarney wrote:Geno no , but I am starting to turn around on this EJ Manual kid, if he is still around in the third , I pull the trigger. 6'5, 237lbs and a 4.64 forty, and a good arm. Sounds like a nice raw chunk of clay for Norv to take his time and sculpt, while we waist some time with Weeds.

Agree, Manuel is the most attractive prospect in the draft, and can be had for much less than Geno.

But it'll prob take a 2nd rounder to get him, and the Browns don't have one.
Hikohadon

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:48 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
Govbarney wrote:Geno no , but I am starting to turn around on this EJ Manual kid, if he is still around in the third , I pull the trigger. 6'5, 237lbs and a 4.64 forty, and a good arm. Sounds like a nice raw chunk of clay for Norv to take his time and sculpt, while we waist some time with Weeds.

Agree, Manuel is the most attractive prospect in the draft, and can be had for much less than Geno.

But it'll prob take a 2nd rounder to get him, and the Browns don't have one.

So, I guess the question becomes, who on the roster could possibly bring a 2nd and would you be willing to part with him?

Or, is the only scenario a first round trade down that adds a second? And is adding Manuel enough justification for missing out on Millner/Jones/whoever?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:05 am

motherscratcher wrote:And is adding Manuel enough justification for missing out on Millner/Jones/whoever?

If you think Manuel is the next Kaepernick, then I think the answer is 'Hell, yeah.'
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:03 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:And is adding Manuel enough justification for missing out on Millner/Jones/whoever?

If you think Manuel is the next Kaepernick, then I think the answer is 'Hell, yeah.'

Does Norv Turner have a history of creating offensive juggernauts. Outside of working for JJ he hasn't produced anything to write home about. Middle of the road stats don't get me to excitied. I don't think he is going to do wonders for Geno, Weeds, or whoever we draft in 2014.

At least when in comparision to what Harbaugh did for Alex Smith and Kaepernick. Oh by the way, Harbaugh talked the 2002 College Hall of Fame and creator of Pistol Offense, Chris Ault, into a higher calling being OC in SF. No small task considering Ault has been affiliated with the Wolfpack practically his whole life as QB, HC, Athletic Director, Big Man on campus.

Do I trust Chud/Norv Turner as the men to turn anybody into the next Kaepernick.I believe not.As a Browns fan,I think I need another drink.
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:21 am

Watched 3 games of Geno yesterday and came away less interested than I was before (which was lukewarm). Outside of gaudy stats, not sure where the Top 10 interest is. Just lack of a better option?
Hikohadon

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:12 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Watched 3 games of Geno yesterday and came away less interested than I was before (which was lukewarm). Outside of gaudy stats, not sure where the Top 10 interest is. Just lack of a better option?

Overdrafting a QB is now a thing.

I really wouldn't be shocked it EJ Manuel goes mid to late first at this point.

Rather amazed at how quiet it's been in terms of Draft Buzz, but I think people are sick of getting burned by being fed the same crap over over again.

Triple-S

Unread postby 1Perry » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:23 pm

1Perry wrote:Pass on Smith. He was what he was because of having one of the best complete receiving corps in college football.

Living in WV I would rather see the Browns drop down and take a chance on Austin or Bailey. That isn't to argue that either are the next great thing as size works against both of them, but they are why Geno is even in the picture IMO.

Just noting.....Austin went ahead of Smith. As I said, Austin and Bailey are the reasons Smith was even in the conversation.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:29 pm

Wow, 5 OL in the top 10, and no Qb's. Geno to BUF at 16 maybe?
kman_holla8

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:32 pm

I forgot about Oakland, they could've traded back to get him
kman_holla8

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:38 pm

1Perry wrote:
1Perry wrote:Pass on Smith. He was what he was because of having one of the best complete receiving corps in college football.

Just noting.....Austin went ahead of Smith. As I said, Austin and Bailey are the reasons Smith was even in the conversation.

Good call.
Hikohadon

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL