Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Browns Offseason Moves/Free Agency

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Browns Offseason Moves/Free Agency

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:27 pm

That lineup looks great on paper, but depending on cost for the two FA's

I was thinking back to when Breaston was first in the league, mainly just a special teams guy and speedy slot man. Which is what Benjamin should be this year if cribbs goes. breaston made it in the league bc he could return punts. But again depends on what the asking price is, has anyone heard a rumored figure?
Nicastro13

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Joe Pittsburgh Fan

Unread postby googleeph2 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:47 am

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:He was signed purely as a Holmgren hunger craving, he was the most delicious sounding player available.

Funny

I always was a little afraid I'd say 'Rostee Fucker' around little kids.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:58 pm

A few thoughts and candidates at TE and OG positions if free agency is the way the Browns go to address those spots:

http://bit.ly/Z7yi0N

http://bit.ly/13CcyBj
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:58 am

peeker643 wrote:A few thoughts and candidates at TE and OG positions if free agency is the way the Browns go to address those spots:

http://bit.ly/Z7yi0N

http://bit.ly/13CcyBj

Jared Cook DID NOT get tagged by Titans yesterday. Given Lombardi's love for that cat it would be surprising if he wasn't a serious TE consideration here.

Jake Long didn't either. Meaning Dolphins may need a LT and may be more inclined to trade up to #6 to get on of the big three LTs (and they have 2 2nd round picks).

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:08 am

Could be just me, but...

I see Chud and Norv as considering themselves "TE Creator" and believing they can take Super Freaky Athletic Basketball Dude and turn him into Jimmy Graham.

They have cash to spend, but I don't see it at TE.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:22 am

Triple-S wrote:Steve Breaston is from Western PA, also Haley used to be his old OC.

He ain't coming to cleveland, Pittsburgh wants him.

Ben's contract is accelerating in a big way this season. He's not renegotiting it yet ant time is almost out. It's like $ 20 mil. They also have other vets with big deals. they cant afford him.

The issue with Stevie B is his knee. Concerns.

As for similarities of T benj, they have T benj set up as Cribb's replacement. A lot to ask him to play 3rd WR.

I have a strong suspicion that the Browns are sandbagging and will be VERY active in a big way very early. Word is they have concerns about NyQuil at 3 - 4 ILB and will make a move to add there, too.

Top targets I keep hearing:

Kennen Lewis - CB - Pbgh
paul Krueger - OLB - B-more
Toller - CB - Zone
Vasquez - G - SD
Wallace - WR - Pngh
Ellerbe - ILB - B-more

And Shaun whats his butt - OLB - I foget off hand but will update.

Trey may have learnd from the Chipper fiasco and laerned the axiom of "undepromise and over deliver".

I get a sense a splash is coming.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:24 pm

jb wrote:
Triple-S wrote:Steve Breaston is from Western PA, also Haley used to be his old OC.

Ben's contract is accelerating in a big way this season. He's not renegotiting it yet ant time is almost out. It's like $ 20 mil. They also have other vets with big deals. they cant afford him.

As for similarities of T benj, they have T benj set up as Cribb's replacement. A lot to ask him to play 3rd WR.

I have a strong suspicion that the Browns are sandbagging and will be VERY active in a big way very early. Word is they have concerns about NyQuil at 3 - 4 ILB and will make a move to add there, too.

Kennen Lewis - CB - Pbgh
Toller - CB - Zone
Vasquez - G - SD
Wallace - WR - Pngh
Ellerbe - ILB - B-more

Trey may have learnd from the Chipper fiasco and laerned the axiom of "undepromise and over deliver".

Man, are you gonna be mad come a week after FA begins.

Not saying they won't go after some of those guys, but I see their haul as being meager. Almost all FA's get overpaid, but the Browns will have to Ridiculously overpay, and that doesn't seem to be a Banner thing to do.

They'll pull in a few non-splash guys (much like Heckert did) and fall back on the Build-Through-The-Draft mantra.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:27 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
jb wrote:

Kennen Lewis - CB - Pbgh
Toller - CB - Zone
Vasquez - G - SD
Wallace - WR - Pngh
Ellerbe - ILB - B-more

Man, are you gonna be mad come a week after FA begins.

Not saying they won't go after some of those guys, but I see their haul as being meager. Almost all FA's get overpaid, but the Browns will have to Ridiculously overpay, and that doesn't seem to be a Banner thing to do.

They'll pull in a few non-splash guys (much like Heckert did) and fall back on the Build-Through-The-Draft mantra.

Not my take my man. Just passing it along.

They may have learned to avoid the hyperbole in the event of epic fail. If they fail they don't have to backpeddle. The one thing we all know is money talks for these profile guys. They aren't on the back 9 yet and this is their opportunity to get that gwop. These aren't high pick bonus babies. Now is they shot to stack the chedda like theys Middlefield Amish.

C.R.E.A.M. Dolla dolla bill,y'all.

So i don't discount anything.

Butt, you have to care to get mad. My give a damn is still broke. ID care what Bumble & Bumble do yet. I wait. I watch. Flagpole sitta.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:27 pm

pup wrote:Could be just me, but...

I see Chud and Norv as considering themselves "TE Creator" and believing they can take Super Freaky Athletic Basketball Dude and turn him into Jimmy Graham.

They have cash to spend, but I don't see it at TE.

All well and good and I agree Cameron will be TE1.

But Turner runs two TE set and you're going to get a whammer type TE in draft/FA and FA makes more sense.

Watson is old and FA and Alex Smith blows and is a FA (though, to his defense, he's a better blocker than any other TE on the roster) and Smelley is way too light and hybrid-y to be the guy here.

Delanie Walker would be my choice because he can catch the ball, because he's a witch on STs and because he can also plat TE/FB and loves the blocking part of each. Couple years younger than Smith too although Smith was cheap.

But there will be another TE here IMO. One who wasn't on roster last season and will be the Yan to Cameron's Yin.

Also, I think I read where Gocong is actually signed for two more seasons. Makes me nervous coming off achilles injury, bbut if they go cheap and in house he could be competing for that MIKE spot at 6'2" 260lbs.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:56 pm

But that ^^^^ isn't Cook.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:05 pm

pup wrote:But that ^^^^ isn't Cook.

Nope. But Lombardi has always had a hard-on for the guy.

The complement to Cameron is either Walker or Bennett (as Bennett is probably best two-way TE available and Walker is best blocking TE available).

Just trying to think out loud.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:26 pm

I'll bet we see a low end TE come here for depth, or a re-signing of Smith....couple with a 3/4th round pick of some hyper athletic freak with little experience. (I'd like to see Kelce here if he drops to the 3rd, or a trade down 2-3 spots for an extra second that gets used on him)

Browns just can't fill the defensive side of the ball with UDFA and the draft; would be a complete disaster. They'll have to bring in at least one experienced 3-4 OLB, and slide Fort/Goong/DCQ/JMJ to the inside two backers.

Need at least 4 guys to rotate on the outside, and currently you have 1 project (Sheard) and zero depth. (Unless you consider Stephens depth, but meh)

Not a one year fix, but you'll have to get SOMEONE. Ellerbe would be nice on the inside, but you're still left with a gaping hole on the outside.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:17 pm

jb wrote:Butt, you have to care to get mad. My give a damn is still broke. ID care what Bumble & Bumble do yet. I wait. I watch. Flagpole sitta.

Amen. I think my Give A Damn is still in a heap somewhere under the 480 bridge. Not really wanting to go look for it either.
Hikohadon

Unread postby pod2dawg » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:58 pm

I dream off Ellerbe.

Sadly, it always ends in purple.

He ain't going nowhere.

I still give a damn.

I'm old and somebody has to win here before I check out.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:09 pm

Ellerbee and DQWell are redundant. Same guy. Both are Wills and require a Mike to suck up FBs, etc and let them diagnose and run.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:42 pm

Any interest in Michael Jenkins? Just got released by the Vikings.

Of course the only reason I mention him is because of the homer effect, but the guy looks like he's been reasonably productive, not that I've seen him much.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:43 pm

^ STOOOPID
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:21 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Any interest in Michael Jenkins? Just got released by the Vikings.

Of course the only reason I mention him is because of the homer effect, but the guy looks like he's been reasonably productive, not that I've seen him much.

I don't. They've already got Michael Jenkinses. They're a dime a dozen. He's not even as good as Steve Breaston.
Hikohadon

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:25 am

Hikohadon wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:Any interest in Michael Jenkins? Just got released by the Vikings.

I don't. They've already got Michael Jenkinses. They're a dime a dozen. He's not even as good as Steve Breaston.

The way I figure it, they can sign Jenkins and bring back Robiskie. Get Anthony Gonzalez on board. That's two 1st rounders and a 2nd. Not a bad receiving corp.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:41 am

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:57 am

motherscratcher wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

The way I figure it, they can sign Jenkins and bring back Robiskie. Get Anthony Gonzalez on board. That's two 1st rounders and a 2nd. Not a bad receiving corp.

Ted Ginn is probably also available.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:23 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

Ted Ginn is probably also available.

Getting them all means we have a great shot at getting Mike Doss to come out of retirement and signing AJ hawk
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:33 pm

peeker643 wrote:Ellerbee and DQWell are redundant. Same guy. Both are Wills and require a Mike to suck up FBs, etc and let them diagnose and run.

Confused. Weak side usually - will, SS = sam? You mean the two ILBs, Ike & Eagle ILB's in some terminology?

I see your point that they are about the same size, but it "feels" like Ellerbe plays stouter at POA. Since ray-Ray is overrated as hell the past 2 seasons and couldn't run he did what he was asked to do. IDK that he couldn't play the traditional stay at home ILB. Then again, with Horton IDK if they will stay in those traditional roles. It may be a good thing that they could be interchangeable in the hopey-changie-hybrid.

All I DO know is Ellerbe is one hell of alot better than JMJ or Tank. And we need some provn vet LBers.

We are so damn far under the cap and this is shaping up to be a REALLY good FA year for those young, second contract guys who can play. many teams seem more capped out thatn in the past.

This seems like a great year to make an aggressive play and change trajectory.

I think the pendulum has swung too far anti-FA. People repeat "you have to build theu the draft and fill holes with FA when you are close" so much as it they parrott a line. The goal is to improve your football team. This year the Browns have a huge amount of cap space and there are not only positions of need to fill holes, but a lot of really young talented players. It's worth overpaying for a Paul Krueger, IMhO, than getting a "bargain" on a Shaun Phillips. One really could be a building block at his career stage an dthe other is a vet band aid. That's where FA doesn't work for teams like the Browns in their carer arc. But if I can be aggressive in FA and fill a hold AND do it wiotyh a young buidling block AND have cap room, where is the downside? And failing to do so year after year is why we fail toi maximize the draft. We're always reaching out of need.

Kevin Costner would understand this as the Postman GM.
jb

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:43 pm

jb wrote:Kevin Costner would understand this as the Postman GM.

I think I may add this as my new sig
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:38 pm

Plenty of terminology out there but I always grew up with Mike and Will (Will being weak inside and Mike inside opposite Will).

But yes, Ellerbee and D'Qwell, (though I grant Ellerbee may be more stout and D'Qwell faster) are similar read/diagnose/get to ball kind of LBs. Ellerbee brings more when he gets and D'Qwell gets there a bit faster.

And don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them spend money in a lot of areas, mostly defensive, and I'd love Ellerbee here. But I think even with a big budget they appropriate the funds in biggest areas of need and D'Qwell is a good football player, better with a big LB next to him.

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Ellerbee and DQWell are redundant. Same guy. Both are Wills and require a Mike to suck up FBs, etc and let them diagnose and run.

Confused. Weak side usually - will, SS = sam? You mean the two ILBs, Ike & Eagle ILB's in some terminology?

I see your point that they are about the same size, but it "feels" like Ellerbe plays stouter at POA. Since ray-Ray is overrated as hell the past 2 seasons and couldn't run he did what he was asked to do. IDK that he couldn't play the traditional stay at home ILB. Then again, with Horton IDK if they will stay in those traditional roles. It may be a good thing that they could be interchangeable in the hopey-changie-hybrid.

All I DO know is Ellerbe is one hell of alot better than JMJ or Tank. And we need some provn vet LBers.

We are so damn far under the cap and this is shaping up to be a REALLY good FA year for those young, second contract guys who can play. many teams seem more capped out thatn in the past.

I think the pendulum has swung too far anti-FA. People repeat "you have to build theu the draft and fill holes with FA when you are close" so much as it they parrott a line. The goal is to improve your football team. This year the Browns have a huge amount of cap space and there are not only positions of need to fill holes, but a lot of really young talented players. It's worth overpaying for a Paul Krueger, IMhO, than getting a "bargain" on a Shaun Phillips. One really could be a building block at his career stage an dthe other is a vet band aid. That's where FA doesn't work for teams like the Browns in their carer arc. But if I can be aggressive in FA and fill a hold AND do it wiotyh a young buidling block AND have cap room, where is the downside? And failing to do so year after year is why we fail toi maximize the draft. We're always reaching out of need.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:40 pm

Some DBs who may fit in this defense and would be a welcome sight:

http://www.greymattersports.com/2013/03 ... ncern.html

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:18 pm

jb wrote:I think the pendulum has swung too far anti-FA. People repeat "you have to build theu the draft and fill holes with FA when you are close" so much as it they parrott a line. The goal is to improve your football team. This year the Browns have a huge amount of cap space and there are not only positions of need to fill holes, but a lot of really young talented players. It's worth overpaying for a Paul Krueger, IMhO, than getting a "bargain" on a Shaun Phillips. One really could be a building block at his career stage an dthe other is a vet band aid. That's where FA doesn't work for teams like the Browns in their carer arc. But if I can be aggressive in FA and fill a hold AND do it wiotyh a young buidling block AND have cap room, where is the downside? And failing to do so year after year is why we fail toi maximize the draft. We're always reaching out of need.

I think you're probably preaching to the choir with the fan base.

It's the this-is-how-so-and-so-did-it-this-is-how-we'll-do-it stuck-in-the-box Front Office types are the ones that need a talking to.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:53 pm

peeker643 wrote:Plenty of terminology out there but I always grew up with Mike and Will (Will being weak inside and Mike inside opposite Will).

But yes, Ellerbee and D'Qwell, (though I grant Ellerbee may be more stout and D'Qwell faster) are similar read/diagnose/get to ball kind of LBs. Ellerbee brings more when he gets and D'Qwell gets there a bit faster.

And don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them spend money in a lot of areas, mostly defensive, and I'd love Ellerbee here. But I think even with a big budget they appropriate the funds in biggest areas of need and D'Qwell is a good football player, better with a big LB next to him.

jb wrote:

See - I've evolved Peeker. I don't stand pissing andmoanong until after I understand what you are saying exactly. ;-)

I guess I need to understand more of what Horton is actually looking for, yah know?

Does he seek a bull rush OLB/DE type who does both and two more classic ILB's and one faster WS OLB?

Does he want 2 nbook end rushers and two nterchangable ILBs?

Or that classic leBeua 3 - 4 where you have to big OLBs who are similar and a stay at home ILB and chaser ILB.

I guess IDK enough, you know?
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:04 am

Some OLBs to keep an eye on. No surprises or twists here.

And I agree with Jason on Kruger. Buyer beware. If he lines up over RTs then you're okay. But he was dependent on Suggs and on beating that RT much of the time. Put him over a teams LT and best lineman and I wonder if you're getting what you think you're getting.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to have him, just that those who think this guys is LT are going to be disappointed. ;-) ;) :wink:

http://bit.ly/14BTlf0

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:10 am

jb wrote:See - I've evolved Peeker. I don't stand pissing andmoanong until after I understand what you are saying exactly. ;-)

I guess I need to understand more of what Horton is actually looking for, yah know?

Does he seek a bull rush OLB/DE type who does both and two more classic ILB's and one faster WS OLB?

Does he want 2 nbook end rushers and two nterchangable ILBs?

Or that classic leBeua 3 - 4 where you have to big OLBs who are similar and a stay at home ILB and chaser ILB.

I guess IDK enough, you know?

Get players. I'm fine with getting good football players and then doing what you need to do schematically.

You're right. You get Ellerbee and DQwell and you're still better off than with DQwell and JMJ.

Get talented guys and then build the specific defense. Not the other way around. And from all I hear and read Horton is willing to do pretty much that.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:40 am

How long can we legitimately expect Horton to be around? Is he on a one year lease? And how worried should I be about Grantham 2014?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:02 am

Horton was this year's token black guy interview, there is absolutely no reason to be concerned about him actually getting a job in the good ole boy league.

Perry Fewell interviewed for 700 jobs when he was token black guy, never getting close to one. Leslie Frasier was in the same boat until Childress blew so bad he actually got an interim gig.

Token Black Interview Candidate is never a serious threat to get a job in the NFL unless the forward thinking Irish Rooney's have an open job. The only other way a black guy gets a gig in the NFL is if he is promoted w/in his org or coaches for the Pats.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:08 am

^Agree he needs 2-3 solid years of a top ranked D to be considered, that or atleast a Coordinator on a playoff team. We'll see how that goes.
Nicastro13

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:14 am

peeker643 wrote:Some DBs who may fit in this defense and would be a welcome sight:

http://www.greymattersports.com/2013/03 ... ncern.html

I'm Hoping for Lewis and Toler, best case scenario, I also think Cason would be looked at as a nickel CB.

At S Gouldson is the best of the bunch, but if we spend money elsewhere I like Delmas on an incentive deal, if he's healthy he's a stud. Patrick Chung is a name I keep hearing, but hopefully only as depth, he's shown nothing in NE.
Nicastro13

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:45 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Horton was this year's token black guy interview, there is absolutely no reason to be concerned about him actually getting a job in the good ole boy league.

Perry Fewell interviewed for 700 jobs when he was token black guy, never getting close to one. Leslie Frasier was in the same boat until Childress blew so bad he actually got an interim gig.

Token Black Interview Candidate is never a serious threat to get a job in the NFL unless the forward thinking Irish Rooney's have an open job. The only other way a black guy gets a gig in the NFL is if he is promoted w/in his org or coaches for the Pats.

Not to mention a dude who won 10 games last season was passed up for fucking Doug Marrone amongst others.

Maybe Lovie said, "No thanks" but that's even weirder than Horton not getting looks.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:59 pm

peeker643 wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Horton was this year's token black guy interview, there is absolutely no reason to be concerned about him actually getting a job in the good ole boy league.

Not to mention a dude who won 10 games last season was passed up for fucking Doug Marrone amongst others.

Maybe Lovie said, "No thanks" but that's even weirder than Horton not getting looks.

SD:

That last factoid has our own John Wooten pissing blood .

Look for a vigilante committee of the old guard to storm the Citadel like Jim Brown and the the hammer in an old grade B remake of the Original Gangsta's.

Wooten got his hip surgery a little after mine , and plans to wear out the new one breaking his foot off deep in some fat soft Butt.

Could be interesting , and definitely could effect us in regards to Horton if the Browns turn this bitch around sooner than later .

Its on like Petrone :cheers:

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:51 pm

I think that if Horton can turn the lowly Browns' D around, he'll be a prime candidate for a HC job. He's got that outgoing personality that owners and fans like. Lovie, despite all his success, always has teams that fade on him and has a milquetoast personality to boot. He's not going to inspire the less educated owners.

It's why Chucky still gets mentioned for jobs all the time when he should've dropped off the radar long ago.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:51 pm

jb

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:51 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:

Like, those two words don't fucking rhyme, man.
jb

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:33 pm

jb wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

Like, those two words don't fucking rhyme, man.

SD:

Rhythm and rhyme is so sublime.

You want rap , but you ain't brought me no donuts .

(cash)

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:18 am

Ah hell no. Rumors popping up on twitter all night that the Browns are interested in/trying to trade for Mallet.

I'm not interested in his big slow ass, especially at what it would cost to pry him for Hoodie. Besides, isn't a weeds Mallet already, only with an orange tinge?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:41 am

motherscratcher wrote:Ah hell no. Rumors popping up on twitter all night that the Browns are interested in/trying to trade for Mallet.

I'm not interested in his big slow ass, especially at what it would cost to pry him for Hoodie. Besides, isn't a weeds Mallet already, only with an orange tinge?

Now that Alex Smith, Matt Moore and Brian Hoyer are off the market, the tune may be changing. One NFL source tells The Plain Dealer he expects the Browns to try to strike up a deal for Mallett even though another source believes Patriots head coach Bill Belichick will be reluctant to part with him.

As far as reports go, it's on the weak side. There's no indication from any source directly connected with the Browns that they plan to pursue Mallett.

http://on.nfl.com/XxEIK9

Well, Mallet is about 5 years younger with more NFL experience in a far better organization.

No idea if that means he can play. Just the facts. Which means he has three characteristics right there that I like better than what Weeden brings.

And again with Mallet, more so than Weeden in college, it was never question of can he play/can he throw, but more a question of when he'd stop being an asshole and when he'd grow up.

Maybe he has. If that's the case then biggest question to me would be what happens if he experiences success? Douchebag again or mature enough to deal better with it? Plus we haven't had a hip-hop whiteboy wannabe QB since Frye left. I miss that.

He's not being dealt for #6, we have no 2nd rounder. I'd give up a 3rd for him as opposed to drafting a project QB in 3rd.

YMMV

ETA- He's 6'7" 253lbs, bigger than Weeden or Roethlisberger.

This is his Combine report FYI- I do like the 'competitor' and 'commands a huddle' parts. And I have to imagine the maturity thing has been, if not cured, improved if he's lasted with Pats.

OVERVIEW

Mallett has the arm strength and size of a franchise NFL quarterback but still needs to continue to develop his accuracy and decision-making consistency. Can drive the ball down field and hit the deep out. When drop mechanics are sound, shows the ability to stick the ball into tiny windows. Has played in pro-style systems and understands reads and progressions but is still prone to taking some risks. Release is natural and over-the-top. Exhibits leadership qualities on the field but front offices will want to further investigate his character and ability to take coaching. Mallett's a really enticing package and will likely come off the board in round one.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS
Mallett possesses prototypical size. Has elite arm strength and can make all the throws. Displays smooth mechanics. Fluid, over-the-top delivery. Will fit the ball into tight spots and shows good overall accuracy. Has experience in the pro-style passing game. Good pocket mobility, can buy second chances and keeps his head down field. Fierce competitor and can command the huddle.

WEAKNESSES
Flashes the ability to run through progressions but has lapses in judgment and can force throws when pressured. Accuracy is solid but needs to become more consistent. Ball will sail when footwork gets sloppy. Does not have the athleticism to pick up much yardage with his feet at the next level. Potential maturity/character issues.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:05 am

My trepidation isn't with Mallet necessarily. Sure, in a vacuum I'd take him over Weeden, I guess. My problem comes with the reported price tag Hoodster is writing on his forehead with a shiny grease marker. I've heard no lower than a second rounder, which makes me think that if the Browns end up with him it will involve either ths year' or next year's first. And the involvement of Lombardo is doing nothing for my ulcer.

Now, for this year's 3rd?...eh, I guess so. If he doesn't pan out its not crippling, I guess, although a wasted pick is a wasted pick. I'd feel much better about it if they do use that cap space to infused some young talent at around 4 positions, not that our expect a third rounder to step in and start anyway.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:10 am

Until you see Ryan Mallet not melt down in crunch time or anytime the game is on the line you don't give a single pick above a sixth rounder up for him.

Because dude's straight up Ginger Cringer in crunch time and was actually regularly outplayed by him at that aspect of the game in college.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:16 am

Ultimately I don't see the point in "upgrading" from Weeden to Mallet. Meh to a slightly different shade of meh is pointless. The position clearly need an upgrade, but I don't see that out there right now so I'm fine sticking with Weeden for the time being.

The single best reason to go after Mallet would be so we don't have to read Peek bitch about Weeden being history's worst monster anymore. And as wonderful as that would be, it's no way to build a football team
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:42 am

My favorite is the "Belichik is hesitant to part with him..." quote.

He's back in that war room, saying, Oh look, the team that drafted a guy last year at 28 is on the hook. Our guy won't be that old till Brady retires! (laughter around the room) At 25 they might think he just got out of high school. (more chortling.)

Get them on the line.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:10 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Until you see Ryan Mallet not melt down in crunch time or anytime the game is on the line you don't give a single pick above a sixth rounder up for him.

Because dude's straight up Ginger Cringer in crunch time and was actually regularly outplayed by him at that aspect of the game in college.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCKKKKK

Card board boxes in water holdup better under pressure.

and neither one of those size 17 anchors float.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby jb » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:31 am

Don't get distracted by the shiny objects. Other than Wallace the Browns have contacted the agents of just about every name FA we've bandied about you want, and no 30 something's need apply; that's good.

Only WR s of interest are Edelman & Rfa from SD IIRC.

They are happiers with the WRs than they let on.

Most of the interest is in the D back 8 & OG.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:43 pm

jb wrote:Only WR s of interest are Edelman & Rfa from SD IIRC.

They are happiers with the WRs than they let on.

Most of the interest is in the D back 8 & OG.

As it should be. Seriously, that's reassuring. I wonder if Edelmann is of interest if Amendola wouldn't also be?

No offense to Travis Benjamin, but I'm not a fan. That guy avoids contact like he's made of porcelain and despite his straight line speed he actually seems to play slower to me.

If I'm gonna have a little guy out there in my receiving corps I want him to be tougher than Benjamin.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:11 pm

Edelman gives u return depth for Benji, too. Covers 2 roster spots. See yah Coop!
jb

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL