Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Prospect rankings

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Prospect rankings

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:09 pm

The Super Bowl is over, so the top prospect lists are starting to come out. Keith Law ranked the Indians farm system as #19 overall yesterday, and put out his overall top-100 today. Lindor is #7, Bauer is #25, and Dorssys Paulino is #56 in all of baseball.

Was surprised to see Paulino ranked so high, as a lot of the scouting reports I've read have him moving off of SS, but Law lives in AZ and has seen him play more than most, and he thinks he can stick at short.

Interestingly, Law has 2B Jose Ramirez in his "just missed" article, basically ranking him as the #104 prospect in baseball. I don't have him 4th in the organization, so it's encouraging that Law holds him in such high regard.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Re: Prospect rankings

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:16 pm

Where do you see the top 100 rankings?
EDIT: Got it. http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/ ... bundy-more
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:26 pm

#19 isn't bad, given where we probably were last season. I think there's some other promise there in guys like Tyler Naquin and Mitch Brown that Law can't put in his top 100.

Nice to see Paulino so high, especially because I think international free agent signings are so critical for us. We have done pretty well in that area in the past and it's important to get back to that.

They're definitely drafting better and I wouldn't be surprised if we kept climbing in these rankings for the next couple of years, before all of the high-potential guys make it to Cleveland.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:13 pm

Yeah, #19 was actually a little higher than I expected. He's higher on Paulino and Ramirez than most, so that would explain the "better" ranking.

Brown and Howard are keys to the system right now. Naquin is just not a top-100 guy unless the bat goes all Chisenhall on us. Bauer is really the only impact guy who will graduate this year, so if the kids in A and AA can take logical steps forward the system could be top-10 next year. Not all of them will take steps forward of course, but adding the #5 pick this year will only help. After losing the top 4 and 5 of the top 10 guys in the org to graduations and trades in 2011, it's actually a pretty quick turnaround.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:31 am

Lindor #10, Bauer #24, Paulino #96 on the B-Pro rankings:
https://baseballprospectus.com/article. ... leid=19694
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:09 pm

Everything at Baseball Prospectus is free for the next 48 hrs. Link to the Indians top-10 prospects piece in case anyone is interested in reading the whole article:
https://baseballprospectus.com/article. ... leid=18958
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:01 am

Lovin' your rankings, Al. Keep bringing the goods.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby gotribe31 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:55 am

Thanks Dan, appreciate it. They'll be rolling out 5 per day till we get to the top, so we've still got over a week to go. Glad you're enjoying them.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby googleeph2 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:04 am

gotribe31 wrote:Everything at Baseball Prospectus is free for the next 48 hrs. Link to the Indians top-10 prospects piece in case anyone is interested in reading the whole article:
https://baseballprospectus.com/article. ... leid=18958

Darn, was apparently a day late and $4.95 short.

Your stuff is plenty good enough for my level of interest.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:20 pm

Yeah, I clicked on it on Thursday and couldn't get it for free.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby ArtGold » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:44 am

Nice write ups as always Al, appreciate all the hard work and I look forward to reading your full listing.
ArtGold

Unread postby gotribe31 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:09 am

Thanks Art, always good to hear from you. Glad you're enjoying them.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Eric Haase at #21 is going to either make me look really smart or really crazy a few years from now. He's barely played out of the complex leagues, but I love what I've seen from him so far. Sweet swing, impressive opposite field power, great looking defense behind the plate and just carries himself well on the field.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:04 pm

gotribe31 wrote:Eric Haase at #21 is going to either make me look really smart or really crazy a few years from now. He's barely played out of the complex leagues, but I love what I've seen from him so far. Sweet swing, impressive opposite field power, great looking defense behind the plate and just carries himself well on the field.

You putting a catcher at #21 is like anyone else making them honorable mention.

;-) ;) :wink: :hide: :nanner:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:40 pm

pup wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:Eric Haase at #21 is going to either make me look really smart or really crazy a few years from now. He's barely played out of the complex leagues, but I love what I've seen from him so far. Sweet swing, impressive opposite field power, great looking defense behind the plate and just carries himself well on the field.

Guilty as charged. I really did try to be better with that this year. Had Haase at 15 and moved him down to 21. I (inlove) catchers.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:57 pm

gotribe31 wrote:
pup wrote:

Guilty as charged. I really did try to be better with that this year. Had Haase at 15 and moved him down to 21. I (inlove) catchers.

No worries. It would take me a month of previews before I mentioned a position player. We all know they are just there to give pitchers and catchers to fuck with.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:35 pm

My anti-middle infielder bias is tough to exercise with this system though
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby pup » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:29 am

gotribe31 wrote:My anti-middle infielder bias is tough to exercise with this system though

Get creative. Say you think Lindor's body type profiles as a future 3B. Better yet, his instincts compare well to some of the great catchers in history and maybe a position switch is in his future.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:36 am

pup wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:My anti-middle infielder bias is tough to exercise with this system though

Get creative. Say you think Lindor's body type profiles as a future 3B. Better yet, his instincts compare well to some of the great catchers in history and maybe a position switch is in his future.

I like it. Would definitely generate more conversation. Next year I'll do a troll list and run that first...Lindor will be #46.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB