Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Pretty good Neyer piece today

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: Pretty good Neyer piece today

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:45 am

skatingtripods wrote:1933-45 primary logo:

Jeesus. What did they do? Have a contest amongst local 2nd graders?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:40 pm

Nice to see the racist bastards back in the early 1900's finally gave way to the enlightened folks who came later. Those C's back in the teens were offensive. What were those, Helvetica?

Fucking Swiss.

No offense to any of Swiss dudes out there.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:12 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:1933-45 primary logo:

Jeesus. What did they do? Have a contest amongst local 2nd graders?

I'm offended by both your misspelling of Jesus and the context in which you're using it.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:18 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I have it on good authority that Chief Wahoo is no more offensive than Super Mario.

You can't really argue it mo. Unless you're cool with double standards.

Why don't the Indians just do this?
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/12/the-pirates-are-going-to-fan-source-a-new-logo/

I wonder if any real pirates find their current logo offensive?
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:14 pm

Rat_Tail wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:I have it on good authority that Chief Wahoo is no more offensive than Super Mario.

You can't really argue it mo. Unless you're cool with double standards.

Why don't the Indians just do this?
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/12/the-pirates-are-going-to-fan-source-a-new-logo/

I wonder if any real pirates find their current logo offensive?

Why would the Tribe brass have fans design a pirate logo? That's just silly and doesn't tie in with the club whatsoever. Sheesh
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby 7foot3 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:09 pm

googleeph2 wrote:When you bring it to the level of stereotyping someone while assuming you know them, you might get away with it once. I dropped it up above, but now you are repeating yourself. You made your point without the personal attacks.

What did you drop? You still are stereotyping anyone who objects to the logo as just concerned with thinking well of themselves.

And it's no personal attack to point out that white males living a comfortable suburban lifestyle have priorities ahead of racism, and don't want to have to think about it. That should be followed by "no shit".

If anything is a personal attack, its the bullshit about "many who say the right things often are caught up or exposed for doing the wrong things" being thrown into this conversation. That is not a response to any argument I've made - that Chief Wahoo should follow Little Black Sambo into nonexistence - and is setting the table for ad hominem attacks.
My avatar is a reflection of Peeker's maturity and self-confidence.
7foot3
Zack Greinke of the Boards

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:31 am

7foot3...you might want to watch out for trying to make one poster accountable for things said by three or more different people here...just sayin.

And while I'm not saying it's a personal attack to make assumptions about who is white, suburban or comfortable...or what that makes certain about their attitudes on race...

...neither is it a personal attack for someone (not me) to observe that in one's experience sometimes the loudest sanctimony seems to come people who turn out to be the biggest hypocrites.

Further, I would submit that all of us...white, suburban, comfortable or otherwise...have "priorities ahead of racism",....even to include those who may feel victimized by it. If you don't...well, my sympathies.

As for me...when I do concern myself with racism...and choose to expend some of my finite supply of righteous outrage about it...I guarantee you it has nothing to do with sports team logos.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby dmiles » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:04 pm

1950 seems to be a game-changer. For some reason they dropped the large headdress with many feathers and went down to the single feather.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby aclayman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:42 pm

Just in regards to the argument that sports team logos should be ignored because "there are more important issues in the world".... The same logic would dictate that we're all assholes for watching baseball in the first place, since there are roughly 8 million activities more beneficial to the universe than seeing how Carlos Carrasco is looking in Spring Training. The "more important things" argument only works if somebody on this message board is literally giving their entire life over to the cause of eliminating Chief Wahoo, which I am fairly certain nobody here-- or anywhere else for that matter-- is doing. Opinions have only been stated because someone introduced the Wahoo topic on a site largely about the Cleveland Indians. If the preferred consequence is for no one to reply to that post because we all have better things to do... well, I guess you're right. That would be preferable.

As for the "most PC people are hypocrites" thing. Well... Sports Illustrated hasn't provided us with a convenient poll on that yet. But again, why is it relevant to the discussion? If it turns out that every white person who claims to be opposed to minstrel shows also secretly performs in black face every weekend, does that mean minstrel shows are really okay after all? You should form an opinion based on how you personally feel about the issue yourself, not on whether other people with an opinion are full of shit or not.
aclayman

Favorite Player: Andy Allanson
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bando

Unread postby 7foot3 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:45 pm

danwismar wrote:7foot3...you might want to watch out for trying to make one poster accountable for things said by three or more different people here...just sayin.

And while I'm not saying it's a personal attack to make assumptions about who is white, suburban or comfortable...or what that makes certain about their attitudes on race...

...neither is it a personal attack for someone (not me) to observe that in one's experience sometimes the loudest sanctimony seems to come people who turn out to be the biggest hypocrites.

Further, I would submit that all of us...white, suburban, comfortable or otherwise...have "priorities ahead of racism",....even to include those who may feel victimized by it. If you don't...well, my sympathies.

As for me...when I do concern myself with racism...and choose to expend some of my finite supply of righteous outrage about it...I guarantee you it has nothing to do with sports team logos.

I'm not holding you accountable for anything anyone else said. We all know who said what, I'm demonstrating what making it personal actually looks like.

And it sure as shit is a personal attack to respond with that statement in your third paragraph. That is no response to an actual argument, but an intent on attacking the character of the speaker instead. It is intentionally vague by using words like "sometimes" so that the writer can sneak around actually being tied down to an accusation, he can always say "well I wasn't talking about [specific person/event]" but the goal is very clear: people shouldn't concern themselves with my side of the argument, but that the other guy might be shady (but don't hold me to that if the other guy isn't actually shady).
7foot3

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:31 pm

aclayman wrote:Just in regards to the argument that sports team logos should be ignored because "there are more important issues in the world".... The same logic would dictate that we're all assholes for watching baseball in the first place, since there are roughly 8 million activities more beneficial to the universe than seeing how Carlos Carrasco is looking in Spring Training. The "more important things" argument only works if somebody on this message board is literally giving their entire life over to the cause of eliminating Chief Wahoo, which I am fairly certain nobody here-- or anywhere else for that matter-- is doing. Opinions have only been stated because someone introduced the Wahoo topic on a site largely about the Cleveland Indians. If the preferred consequence is for no one to reply to that post because we all have better things to do... well, I guess you're right. That would be preferable.

As for the "most PC people are hypocrites" thing. Well... Sports Illustrated hasn't provided us with a convenient poll on that yet. But again, why is it relevant to the discussion? If it turns out that every white person who claims to be opposed to minstrel shows also secretly performs in black face every weekend, does that mean minstrel shows are really okay after all? You should form an opinion based on how you personally feel about the issue yourself, not on whether other people with an opinion are full of shit or not.

:thumb up:
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:06 pm

7foot3 wrote:
danwismar wrote:7foot3...you might want to watch out for trying to make one poster accountable for things said by three or more different people here...just sayin.

I'm not holding you accountable for anything anyone else said. We all know who said what, I'm demonstrating what making it personal actually looks like.

And it sure as shit is a personal attack to respond with that statement in your third paragraph. That is no response to an actual argument, but an intent on attacking the character of the speaker instead. It is intentionally vague by using words like "sometimes" so that the writer can sneak around actually being tied down to an accusation, he can always say "well I wasn't talking about [specific person/event]" but the goal is very clear: people shouldn't concern themselves with my side of the argument, but that the other guy might be shady (but don't hold me to that if the other guy isn't actually shady).

Restrict your whining to logos. I'm not talking about any given individual. I'm talking in general. From televangelists to politicians to celebrities.

Christ, take the lazy way out and 'google' it if you're that GD naive.

You can't fall down without landing on one.

I wouldn't know you if you walked into my living room. You're simply more noise from a source I know nothing about, good or bad.

Shake yourself. It may sting, but none of THAT was about YOU. This was.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:43 am

aclayman wrote:Just in regards to the argument that sports team logos should be ignored because "there are more important issues in the world".... The same logic would dictate that we're all assholes for watching baseball in the first place, since there are roughly 8 million activities more beneficial to the universe than seeing how Carlos Carrasco is looking in Spring Training. The "more important things" argument only works if somebody on this message board is literally giving their entire life over to the cause of eliminating Chief Wahoo, which I am fairly certain nobody here-- or anywhere else for that matter-- is doing. Opinions have only been stated because someone introduced the Wahoo topic on a site largely about the Cleveland Indians. If the preferred consequence is for no one to reply to that post because we all have better things to do... well, I guess you're right. That would be preferable.

Don't object to anything you say here Andrew...except maybe quotations marks around things nobody said.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:15 am

Introducing your 2014 Cleveland Caucasians... has a nice ring to it.

They could give the mascot a goofy smile, pastey complexion, redish hair and a knife.

I'm white, I won't be offended.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby dmiles » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:57 pm

YahooFanChicago wrote:Introducing your 2014 Cleveland Caucasians... has a nice ring to it.

They could give the mascot a goofy smile, pastey complexion, redish hair and a knife.

Whereas Gingers would offend a large segment of the population.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:02 pm

Yeah, but EVERYONE hates Gingers.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:34 am

I bet myself a bear claw this would be 3 pages when I posted it.

Longest thread here even with the most exciting off season since we signed Black Jack of Stickfigure fame.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:38 am

Only 2 ways to go:

The Cleveland Crackers

New logo:

This also helps draw well from the east side of Akron and Portage County helping the regional base.

Or

The Cleveland Crazies

New logo:

Dollar Prozac Nights celebrating our recent bi-polar seasons.
jb

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:51 am

jb wrote:I bet myself a bear claw this would be 3 pages when I posted it.

Longest thread here even with the most exciting off season since we signed Black Jack of Stickfigure fame.

All due respect to you, jb, but you are the only one who would have taken your bet.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:52 am

googleeph2 wrote:
jb wrote:I bet myself a bear claw this would be 3 pages when I posted it.

All due respect to you, jb, but you are the only one who would have taken your bet.

Not true.

EVERYONE like bear claws!!!!

I hear they even make Chris Perez smile.
jb

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:29 pm

You can maximize your pastry fun by pronouncing it "beer clah", like in the movie "Fargo".
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:36 pm

googleeph2 wrote:You can maximize your pastry fun by pronouncing it "beer clah", like in the movie "Fargo".

Yahhh!
jb

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:35 pm

YahooFanChicago wrote:Introducing your 2014 Cleveland Caucasians... has a nice ring to it.

I actually own this shirt:

...and you know what? People tell me that it's f***Ing racist. We just live in a hypersensitive society. A girl 10 feet away from my wife (who is a redhead) got mad at me for saying the word "ginger" last year.

If you're not concerned with the racial sensitivity of your own race (even "comfortable white suburbinites") then someone is standing by to let you know that you should be.

No one gives a f*** about chief wahoo. Just change the stupid mascot and be done with it already.

I'd trade Wahoo to the Marlins for Giancarlo Stanton, even if it meant we had to take the rainbow fish mascot in return. It's a stupid argument.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby 7foot3 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:35 pm

peeker643 wrote:Restrict your whining to logos. I'm not talking about any given individual. I'm talking in general. From televangelists to politicians to celebrities.

I wouldn't know you if you walked into my living room. You're simply more noise from a source I know nothing about, good or bad.

When I said:
he can always say "well I wasn't talking about [specific person/event]" but the goal is very clear: people shouldn't concern themselves with my side of the argument, but that the other guy might be shady

You could have just said "yeah, you're right"
7foot3

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:37 am

7foot3 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Restrict your whining to logos. I'm not talking about any given individual. I'm talking in general. From televangelists to politicians to celebrities.

When I said:
he can always say "well I wasn't talking about [specific person/event]" but the goal is very clear: people shouldn't concern themselves with my side of the argument, but that the other guy might be shady

You could have just said "yeah, you're right"

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:22 pm

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -redskins/

House Dems introduce bill to strong-arm Redskins into changing name...

...apparently because Congress can't find any other problems in the country that require their attention.

danwismar

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB