Text Size

College Sports Arena

OSU Linebackers

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

OSU Linebackers

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:32 pm

This photo was tweeted by Cam Williams today...

"Linebackers after the toughest workout of the winter"

Left to right...Curtis Grant, David Perkins, Luke Roberts, Ryan Shazier, Cam Williams, Joe Burger, ? Fada (walk on) (Josh Perry and Jamal Marcus not in the pic...Marcus may be working with the DL these days). Grant's 2012 is a good example of how a great physique doesn't always translate to a great football player, but you can understand why they still have high hopes for him and Perkins, among others. Huge. Shazier played at 226 last year, and he looks like the runt of the litter.

https://twitter.com/CamrenWilliams5/sta ... 56/photo/1
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Re: OSU Linebackers

Unread postby furls » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:51 pm

Cam Williams looks like the runt to me. Grant is starting to look like Vern Gholston.

It will be interesting to see who emerges. I got a feeling we are going to see Shazier, Perry and someone off the radar... Luke Roberts, maybe one of the freshman. Maybe Perkins? How 2013 plays out will rely directly on how well someone does at filling Boren's shoes. I think Perry is at least going to be an even swap for Sabino. I wonder if there is any shot that we see Perry move to MLB and Grant as SSLB.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:05 pm

nevadabuck is usually a pretty reliable mirror of the coaches' thinking, and he has been saying the coaches are sky high on Perkins...not only his speed and athleticism, but his attitude and intelligence. He expects big contributions from him this year. They also feel very good about Cam Williams as a MLB. He does look smallish in that photo, but they say he has put on some "good weight" this offseason, and is another high effort, good instincts kid.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:39 pm

I think it is going to be tough to unseat Perry. He didn't get much press as a recruit because he committed so early, he was OSU's first 2012 commit, but he is an athletic freak. OSU's website currently lists him at 6'4" 238. The Bucks have gotten much better under Meyer and Mariotti at listing real heights and weights (hence all the recent shrinking) so it is probably legit. Kid is 24foot long jumper and qualified in several other events in HS Track, and he is an excellent student and smart kid.

He was obviously the first 2012's 5 to get on the field last year, and I don't think he will lose that job. I just wonder if he will move to the middle and stay on the field all the time. tOSU really only needs 2 LBs full time and I think they have them, if Perry can move. No way I move Shazier, he is too good of a free lancer on the weakside.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:32 pm

furls wrote:I think it is going to be tough to unseat Perry.

No doubt. I hear he's up close to 250 lbs. There was talk that he might end up at SSDE along with Marcus, but it appears he'll be on the field. Problem is, I don't think they see him as a MLB, and it's the Sam that comes off the field in the nickel. Things will open up for the young LB's after Shazier goes in the Top 10 of the 2014 NFL Draft. With the young talent and speed they have at LB, maybe that will mean less nickel and more 3-LB sets in the future.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:42 pm

They need an answer for next year! I am not sure how they come up with that.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena