Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Miracle

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Miracle

Unread postby One Ill J » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:57 pm

You say that there are no really "great" hockey movies? Are you fucking crazy? Miracle is hands down one of the best sports movies of all time, let alone in the hockey category. The movie represents one of the greatest US Olympic "team" achievements EVER, before pro atheletes were cleared to play and the start of the "Dream Team" movement. Plain and simple, all the Soviets had to do was show up to take home the gold medal, and they had no business losing to the US (especially after they ridiculed the NHL all-stars and ass raped the US team prior to the Olympics that year). Add in the "Cold War" and worldwide political tension at the time, and the movie captures the heart, pride and will of the American people. Sorry to bitch, just a hockey nut here and I had to get that off of my chest.[/i]
One Ill J

Unread postby swerb » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:35 pm

I loved Miracle. Kurt Russell did an amazing job as Herb Brooks, which has been echoed by those that played for him.

The locker room speech before the game with the Russians is one of the ultimate goosebump movie moments for me.

Great moments ... are born from great opportunity.

And that's what you have here, tonight, boys. That's what you've EARNED here tonight.

One game. If we played 'em ten times, they might win nine. But not this game. Not tonight.

Tonight, we skate with them. Tonight, we stay with them. And we SHUT THEM DOWN because WE CAN! Tonight, WE are the greatest hockey team in the world.

You were born to be hockey players. Every one of you. And you were meant to be here tonight.

This is your time. Their time is DONE. It's OVER.

I'm sick and tired of hearing about what a great hockey team the Soviets have. Screw 'em.

This is your time. Now go out there and take it.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:54 pm

Miracle was a very good movie...second best hockey movie I've ever seen next to Slap Shot.

But it isn't 'great' in the same vein as Hoosiers, Bull Durham, The Natural, North Dallas 40, Raging Bull, etc. Those were fantastic movies whether you were a sports fan or not.

Miracle did a fantastic job catching the emotions, look, and feel of the times, and Kurt Russell captured Herb Brooks perfectly.

What it lacks compared to the others, is the drama that a great flick like the Godfather possesses, and that's through no fault of it's own. It's a biography, and by nature those types of films lack the suspense you can get from a regular flick...unless you do the Ron Howard thing and fuck it up by making shit up as you go along (Max Baer acting like he was proud of killing someone in the ring...a total slander).

Above all, my comments about no great hockey movies were an indictment against the entire sport, as Slap Shot, Miracle, and Mystery Alaska are the only ones worth watching.

Could be worse...the genre could suck as bad as racing movies.

But remember that it's just one person's opinion, and take it for what it's worth. Hell, I consider Swerb's taste in movies excellent...despite the fact that he actually likes 'Old School'.

Unread postby Naxos » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:32 pm

Old School? Well I kind of have to agree with Swerb on this one.

Now as too "The Legend of Ron Burgandy" and "Elf". Ug, double ug, and triple ug. Bad, bad ,so very bad. Why do people like those two?
Naxos

Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: DA

Unread postby swerb » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:55 pm

Im in the minority on both those flicks Nax.

I thought "Anchorman" was way overrated. Most people loved it. It had its spots, but I didn't find it nearly as funny as most.

And I loved "Elf". I can see why some wouldn't ... I just found it hysterical.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Miracle

Unread postby OkiBrown » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:50 pm

Miracle was a fantastic movie. Sure it recaped the victory of the big bad USSR (which I bet many Americans had forgotten wasn't for the Gold) but it also captured the essence of America at that point in time.

Remember we were a country that had just gotten out of the mess in Vietnam, people distrusted our politicians, and so many other things were stacked against our country.

But the big showdown between the "pro's" of Russia against a bunch of overmatched and underwhelmed college kids sure helped to change all that.
OkiBrown

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture