Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Smith To KC

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Smith To KC

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:52 am

Looks like a deal is effectively done for the Niners to send Alex Smith to the Chiefs, so cross that option off the list.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/02/24/alex-smith-trade-traded-49ers-chiefs-jaguars/?sct=uk_t2_a3

If it were up to me at this point, I'd bring in Matt Moore to compete with Weeden and pray that Manuel fell to the 3rd (maybe trade up if the deal isn't too painful).
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Smith To KC

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:00 pm

Makes sense for the Chiefs given Reid's druthers at the QB position.

Although, when the article states that the other interested team is the 49ers you have to wonder what the hell is going.

The other team involved in the trade wasn’t immediately clear. La Canfora speculated that the teams that make the most sense would be the Kansas City Chiefs and San Francisco 49ers. Yahoo Sports’ Jason Cole reported Saturday that the Chiefs were among the most active pursuers of Smith.

Feel bad for any QB that has to go to KC. They're a mess. The Browns would be a better team to play for in terms of offensive pieces in place overall.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:03 pm

I saw them speculate on the Jags too, but I don't see that one. I think they'll go to camp with a Henne/Gabbert winner-take-all.
Hikohadon

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:17 pm

La Canfora actually tweeted that it was between KC and JAX; SF is just a typo.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:26 pm

Smith to KC likely means that it's Cassell to the pavement... any interest in bringing that guy in for "competition"?
Hikohadon

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:29 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Smith to KC likely means that it's Cassell to the pavement... any interest in bringing that guy in for "competition"?

Me? No. Lombardi? AWWW YEAH.

Jed Hoyer v. Matt Cassel, winner takes all.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:31 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Smith to KC likely means that it's Cassell to the pavement... any interest in bringing that guy in for "competition"?

No.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:40 pm

peeker643 wrote:

No.

And Belichik is thinkin', man my QB just signed waaay under value again, just like he did in '05, some sucker took that hump Cassell off my hands - the guy that couldn't even play in college....next year I'm gonna flip Mallett to one of these all day suckers for the world.

And I'll still be in the best cap position in the league.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:44 am

leadpipe wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

No.

And Belichik is thinkin', man my QB just signed waaay under value again, just like he did in '05, some sucker took that hump Cassell off my hands - the guy that couldn't even play in college....next year I'm gonna flip Mallett to one of these all day suckers for the world.

And I'll still be in the best cap position in the league.

Yep. He pretty much just bought the needed space to get to 2015 when TV money will raise cap again substantially.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby justmebd » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:08 pm

I'm still not sure our starting QB is on the roster yet. While Banner did a whole lot of trying to not say anything, it seems the new Braintrust only wants to go into 2013 with him if there is no other option.

The problem is, who do you go to?

Holmgren (I believe Heckert was overruled) really hamstrung this franchise with the Weeden pick. He's not the answer, and there's nothing presenting iteself as anything better in the draft as far as QBs go.

I'm really glad baseball season is almost here so I can focus on something else for a few months.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby jb » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:30 pm

Cassel goes back to NE for free. That makes mallet available. A 4th may do it.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:08 am

Mallet may be fine in an offense like this. His skills were never the major issue. His propensity for being a knuckkehead was. He's been tame in NE because he's had to be to draw a check. Still can't pay more for Mallet than Chiefs do for Smith and still not sure he's the guy, but a 4th or later is probably worth the risk. Bigger risk is if he hasn't grown up should he experience success. And the contract thing.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:12 am

justmebd wrote:I'm still not sure our starting QB is on the roster yet. While Banner did a whole lot of trying to not say anything, it seems the new Braintrust only wants to go into 2013 with him if there is no other option.

Holmgren (I believe Heckert was overruled) really hamstrung this franchise with the Weeden pick. He's not the answer, and there's nothing presenting iteself as anything better in the draft as far as QBs go.

I'm really glad baseball season is almost here so I can focus on something else for a few months.

I think it's very easy to argue the 22 pick could've been used better, but you'll have to explain to me how the selection of Weeden "hamstrung" the team when his contract is no big thang and just as disposable as McCoy would've been had he not been taken.
Hikohadon

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:08 am

Hikohadon wrote:
justmebd wrote:I'm still not sure our starting QB is on the roster yet. While Banner did a whole lot of trying to not say anything, it seems the new Braintrust only wants to go into 2013 with him if there is no other option.

I think it's very easy to argue the 22 pick could've been used better, but you'll have to explain to me how the selection of Weeden "hamstrung" the team when his contract is no big thang and just as disposable as McCoy would've been had he not been taken.

I meant from a positional standpoint. By taking him in the first round, we passed up better picks and wasted a whole year on this guy, who I never thought was the answer.

IMPORTANT: I'm not saying Colt McCoy is the answer.

Holmgren decided to move on from Colt. Great. Huzzah. But he had no real plan other than PANIC!!! Draft Brandon Weeden because an ape farted on a boat in Guatemala!!

If you're going to commit to developing a guy, you gotta be a little more focused than Holmgren was. I single out Holmgren because I don't think Heckert really wanted Weeden, especially in the first round, and it was obvious depite our former HC's complete inability to coach that he really had no confidence in the guy, but only stuck with him because Holmgren cut his checks.

I really think we would've been better off starting last season with your boy and developing another prospect while waiting for the inevitable to happen. We wouldn't be any worse off than we are today.

I'm just venting now. I hate our QB situation, and it looks like it will be at least another year before it could be "fixed."
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:37 am

I meant from a positional standpoint. By taking him in the first round, we passed up better picks and wasted a whole year on this guy, who I never thought was the answer.

IMPORTANT: I'm not saying Colt McCoy is the answer.

Holmgren decided to move on from Colt. Great. Huzzah. But he had no real plan other than PANIC!!! Draft Brandon Weeden because an ape farted on a boat in Guatemala!!

If you're going to commit to developing a guy, you gotta be a little more focused than Holmgren was. I single out Holmgren because I don't think Heckert really wanted Weeden, especially in the first round, and it was obvious depite our former HC's complete inability to coach that he really had no confidence in the guy, but only stuck with him because Holmgren cut his checks.

I really think we would've been better off starting last season with your boy and developing another prospect while waiting for the inevitable to happen. We wouldn't be any worse off than we are today.

I'm just venting now. I hate our QB situation, and it looks like it will be at least another year before it could be "fixed."

Nor would we be any better off (at least QB-wise).

I don't know what Holmgren's motivation was to take him, but that's water under the bridge. Dude's gone, so if he had a plan/didn't have a plan, it don't matter now.

I agree the QB situation is far from fixed, but it wouldn't be any more fixed had they passed on Weeden (unless they happened to draft Wilson in the 3rd).

Just like there's very likely no move they can make this year that will "fix" the QB spot. Again. (Although I'm rooting for EJ Manuel in the 3rd).

I still wouldn't be surprised to see them boot Weeden outta here, but with the options that be out there, I doubt that will result in significantly better Browns QB play. Part of why I could give a shit who plays QB for them this year.
Hikohadon

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:11 pm

Alex Smith coached by Jim Harbaugh with a 2 or 3 TE power run game and throwing it 25 times a game made him into a decent NFL QB

Alex Smith coached by Andy Reid with a complete lack of effort toward the run game and winging it around 40 times a game is a trainwreck just waiting to happen.

Maybe Reid will tailor his O toward Smith's strengths. You know, cause it's not like Reid is set in his ways or anything.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:40 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Alex Smith coached by Jim Harbaugh with a 2 or 3 TE power run game and throwing it 25 times a game made him into a decent NFL QB

Alex Smith coached by Andy Reid with a complete lack of effort toward the run game and winging it around 40 times a game is a trainwreck just waiting to happen.

Maybe Reid will tailor his O toward Smith's strengths. You know, cause it's not like Reid is set in his ways or anything.

I agree with this completely. Mix in a shitty o-line and a shitty, well, pretty much everything and I too think Smith is a bad fit in KC.

Which is a shame. If I'm Smith I'm not sure I'm signing any extension. Although in this game you probably gotta take it from whoever offers it if you can get it.

Hmmm... Smith was #1 when that was ridiculous cake though, wasn't he? Maybe I'm still not signing extension given that. Take a chance on myself with decent year in KC and see what happens after that.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:41 pm

The best part of all of this is, IMO, after spending years trying to ruin Shady in Philly now we get to watch Reid ruin Charles in KC. It's remarkable.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:45 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:The best part of all of this is, IMO, after spending years trying to ruin Shady in Philly now we get to watch Reid ruin Charles in KC. It's remarkable.

And IMO Charles is eminently more 'ruinable'. McCoy is a bigger, stronger back who's a legit 3-down guy and who catches (or averages) ~60 receptions a season while Charles is a bit less of threat inside and catches (or averages) ~half the receptions McCoy does.

Both are weapons but IMO McCoy is a bigger one and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he didn't fit Reid's offense, much like Smith. Hell, Reid may find a way to ruin Bowe if Bowe ends up back there.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:55 pm

peeker643 wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:The best part of all of this is, IMO, after spending years trying to ruin Shady in Philly now we get to watch Reid ruin Charles in KC. It's remarkable.

And IMO Charles is eminently more 'ruinable'. McCoy is a bigger, stronger back who's a legit 3-down guy and who catches (or averages) ~60 receptions a season while Charles is a bit less of threat inside and catches (or averages) ~half the receptions McCoy does.

Both are weapons but IMO McCoy is a bigger one and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he didn't fit Reid's offense, much like Smith. Hell, Reid may find a way to ruin Bowe if Bowe ends up back there.

It's Peyton time, mutherfackers!!!!!!!

I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:33 pm

Westbrook was gonna call jamaal to warn him. But he couldn't remember where he put his phone.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL