Text Size

The Neutral Zone

NHL Realignment

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

NHL Realignment

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:15 pm

Looks like it is finally happening , just in time for next season, and the CBJs rebirth.

The New conferences are as follows:

I: Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington
II: Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Toronto
III: Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis, Winnipeg
IV: Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver

There are a few things that still need to be ironed out, such as a special wild card game for the conferences with 8 teams. But all signs point to this being accepted next week at the owners meeting in Toronto, and the Players are on board as well.

I dont want to look a gift horse in the mouth , and very happy that this is happening, but I will say as a CBJ fan they are moving into a juggernaut of a conference, its going to be the AL East of the NHL.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Re: NHL Realignment

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:07 pm

There's no easy route to the playoffs in any of those divisions, though, at first glance, the other Eastern Division is the weakest. Not sure that I understand the alignment of the second Eastern Division, but whatever. Anything they do is better than Columbus and Detroit playing in the West. Not sure I like having imbalanced conference numbers (16 E, 14 W), but it is what it is.

The AHL used to have an imbalanced conference. The top four in each division made the playoffs, except if the 5th place team in one of the Western Conference divisions had more points than the 4th place team in the other, they would make the playoffs. They scrapped that and went to the more conventional NHL blueprint last season. Seems like that would be a fair way to do it in the NHL.

Next step is to make regulation wins worth three points.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:31 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens when the 2 team expansion that everyone says is going to take place happens. If its Seattle and KC , perfect equals out the 4 conferences , but if its Quebec City, and say Hamilton or Toronto, we are back to being in a world of shit.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:16 am

The people who run the NHL really are the dumbest assholes on the planet.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:07 pm

Play each Western Conference team twice, once home, once away. Play the other teams in your conference, but not division, three times each. That's 28 + 24, so 52. Remaining 30 against your own division.

Jackets better get good in a hurry.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:11 pm

Govbarney wrote:It will be interesting to see what happens when the 2 team expansion that everyone says is going to take place happens. If its Seattle and KC , perfect equals out the 4 conferences , but if its Quebec City, and say Hamilton or Toronto, we are back to being in a world of shit.

My guess is the NHL wants SEA and KC. That would be the senseable thing to do, but we know that rational thinking is beyond Bettman. Wild Card is PHX. If they move to any of those other places you listed, my fear is CBJ could be fucked into moving back in the west.
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Return to The Neutral Zone