Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Bauer Quotes

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Bauer Quotes

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:56 am

This guy hasn't even donned a Tribe uni yet, and he is already becoming my favorite player.

This Gem was in today's PD after his AZ catcher called him out. and said "good luck" when asked about Tribe catcher Santana.

When asked about Montero's comments, Bauer said, "I'm glad to live in a country like the United States where we can all say what we want and have freedom of speech. I appreciate all the guys who go overseas and fight for that freedom."

This guy may end up being shit, but at least w/ smart ass comments like that he will keep us entertained.
Also I am kind of hopping he starts the year in Cbus, so I get to see his "crazy" warm up schtick in person.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Re: Bauer Quotes

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:08 pm

Bauer's going to be fun. I have a feeling he's going to be a fan favorite quickly...even more so if he actually pitches to his potential.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:50 pm

"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:55 pm

Funny quotes are rap are great, as long as he pitches well. The laughter and tolerance for this will stop very quickly if he doesn't fulfill his potential.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:23 pm

He should take on Chris Perez as a mentor.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:07 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:Funny quotes are rap are great, as long as he pitches well. The laughter and tolerance for this will stop very quickly if he doesn't fulfill his potential.

I think it's more about the name on the front of his jersey. If he's still with AZ he'd still be seen by people here as a cocky, arrogant, flaky headcase.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:28 pm

peeker643 wrote:
WiscTribeFan wrote:Funny quotes are rap are great, as long as he pitches well. The laughter and tolerance for this will stop very quickly if he doesn't fulfill his potential.

I think it's more about the name on the front of his jersey. If he's still with AZ he'd still be seen by people here as a cocky, arrogant, flaky headcase.

Thing is, I don't think he's a headcase. Cocky and arrogant, I'll give you those two. I think he's a headstrong kid who thinks his way is the best way. He's certainly studied enough and done enough research to prove his case.

Bauer strikes me as a kid who believes that respect is a two-way street. If he gets some and gets to have his say, then he'll reciprocate. I don't think the Diamondbacks (or Montero) ever did that. Seems Francona and the Indians have at least made a concerted effort to understand Bauer as a person and get inside his head.

Just because he's not a "yes man" with the front office doesn't make him a cancer or a headcase. I kind of like the idea of somebody challenging baseball's conventional wisdom.

All of that being said, I really hope Marson is his personal catcher when he makes it up here.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:28 pm

peeker643 wrote:

He may be all of those things, but if he's dropping a low 3 ERA and getting wins, no-one will care. Make that an ERA of 5 with a ton of walks and people with think his candor and rap style are a distraction that needs to be shelved...

To paraphrase Crash Davis : "Win 20 in the show and you can let the fungus grow back on your shower shoes and the press with think you're colorful, but until then it just means you're a slob..."

I think having a few players with some personality and stones to speak their mind on this team is great. I had no issue with Perez venting in public about his frustration with the organization. Since they didn't trade him, clearly the FO thinks he's more valuable on the team, even with him running his yap.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:35 pm

And I'm simply ssaying that 99% of the people here in Cleveland and on the boards wouldn't care about his relationship with Montero or the D'Backs if he was still there. He'd be a flaky, headcase if he was there as opposed to here to nearly every Indians fan.

Consider it my reverse "Zeke Carrera" hypothesis. There were people here in Cleveland who actually think/thought the guy is/was a viable major league player. Mostly because he's not Aaron Cunningham and because of the "Cleveland" on his chest ;-) ;) :wink:

skatingtripods wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Thing is, I don't think he's a headcase. Cocky and arrogant, I'll give you those two. I think he's a headstrong kid who thinks his way is the best way. He's certainly studied enough and done enough research to prove his case.

Bauer strikes me as a kid who believes that respect is a two-way street. If he gets some and gets to have his say, then he'll reciprocate. I don't think the Diamondbacks (or Montero) ever did that. Seems Francona and the Indians have at least made a concerted effort to understand Bauer as a person and get inside his head.

Just because he's not a "yes man" with the front office doesn't make him a cancer or a headcase. I kind of like the idea of somebody challenging baseball's conventional wisdom.

All of that being said, I really hope Marson is his personal catcher when he makes it up here.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:08 pm

peeker643 wrote:And I'm simply ssaying that 99% of the people here in Cleveland and on the boards wouldn't care about his relationship with Montero or the D'Backs if he was still there. He'd be a flaky, headcase if he was there as opposed to here to nearly every Indians fan.

I don't disagree. Because nobody would have cared to look deeper into who Bauer is. He'd be nothing more than the wunderkind 22-year-old with electric stuff and an ego.

Now that he's an Indian, I've familiarized myself with him, the way his brain operates, and know how hard he studies pitching. So, I give him the benefit of the doubt. And if I knew that stuff and he was still in Arizona, I'd still give him the benefit of the doubt.

But, to your point, I probably wouldn't have cared enough to go look up anything about him.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby 1Perry » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:09 pm

Indeed if we didn't trade for Bauer he might get mentioned at some point with a "that cocky kid in Arizona might be interesting as I hear Arizona has grown tired of him" while we discuss whether or not Rafeal Perez can make an impact this year or not.

Bauer should make for more interesting discussions.

I do hope he isn't arrogant but I'm alright with the rest.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby Damage » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:41 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

It's cause his IQ is off the charts for someone his age. Studying mech engineering provides you with critical path thinking. I mean, the dude has been using high speed cameras for years...and he's 23.

In the end, I want a son of a bitch as my (potential & hopeful) FOR starter.
"I must be cruel only to be kind;
Thus bad begins, and worse remains behind."
Damage

Favorite Player: Terrell Brandon
Least Favorite Player: Joe Table

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB