Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Indians the 2013 version of Oakland/Baltimore?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Indians the 2013 version of Oakland/Baltimore?

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:25 pm

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/clevelan ... d-by-as-os

Thoughts? Obviously, it'll take a lot of things going right for that to happen, but I think I made a pretty good case for how it could be possible.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Indians the 2013 version of Oakland/Baltimore?

Unread postby Pabo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:53 pm

Until I read this article, I had forgotten about the best move of the off-season: getting rid of that freaking bum J*son D*nald. All the rest is just gravy. (Hopefully he won't turn into one of those Jeff Manto types that gets re-signed by the Tribe every year or so when someone else releases him.)
Bottom 4th: Cleveland
- J. Kipnis grounded out to shortstop
- A. Cabrera doubled to deep left
- N. Swisher doubled to center, A. Cabrera scored
- J. Giambi doubled to deep right center, N. Swisher to third, N. Swisher out at home
- J. Giambi caught stealing, catcher to third

1 run, 3 hits, 0 errors
Pabo

Favorite Player: Jason Giambi
Least Favorite Player: Joe Haden

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:19 pm

Excellent article. And yeah, a lot will have to go right. But there is precedent and what appears to be an organizational plan.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby pup » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:00 am

The most important thing is to put yourself in the place to be a part of the conversation. Which it has been a while since they have done that. But they have, and they deserve all of the credit in the world for it.

Now it is up to the 25 guys they will break camp with. If they play well, they will be alive. If they don't they won't.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:09 am

Thinking that the Indians have a shot this year has moved from delusional to optimistic.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:13 am

motherscratcher wrote:Thinking that the Indians have a shot this year has moved from delusional to optimistic.

Jim Cramer: "Let's turn to the Bluth's. I love these guys. They beat the treason charges. We had it as a don't buy. Let's bump it up to a risky!"

Michael Bluth: "Risky! There it is!" (high fives George Michael)
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:43 am

How did Victorino , and Youk fit this plan? Do you believe they would have been better or worse acquisitions then what the Tribe ended up with?

It looks to me like we would have shot our self's in the foot if we landed them.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:12 am

Govbarney wrote:How did Victorino , and Youk fit this plan? Do you believe they would have been better or worse acquisitions then what the Tribe ended up with?

It looks to me like we would have shot our self's in the foot if we landed them.

Yeah, I'm with you on that one. We can only hope that those offers were intended as more of a message to the guys like Swisher, Bourn, etc that we were serious about spending (hopefully on them). Victorino would have been an okay pickup, but certainly nowhere near that cost. Not sure why he received the first big offer, unless, like I said, it was just to get our names out there in the media as serious spenders. If that was the intent, it certainly succeeded.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:10 pm

Govbarney wrote:How did Victorino , and Youk fit this plan? Do you believe they would have been better or worse acquisitions then what the Tribe ended up with?

Worse. Far worse. We got lucky. I don't think that the Indians felt that they had a realistic shot at Swisher when they were talking to Victorino and I think they were enamored with Youkilis because he's a better fielder than Reynolds, both at 3B and at 1B. I didn't understand why they were after those guys as hard as they were. The Victorino contract would have been a giant mistake. Victorino also has a relationship with Francona, so it's likely that Francona pushed the issue of trying to get Victorino.

It's interesting. We nearly dealt Cabrera for Bauer, and got him for Choo, who we were going to lose anyway. We got Reynolds instead of Youkilis. We got Swisher instead of Victorino. We got Bourn instead of trying Jason Bay or Scott Hairston. And all of those moves were better for us.

It's possible that the Indians went after Victorino to have one less suitor for Swisher to deal with. I don't know if our front office is savvy enough to play games like that, but the Red Sox were very interested in Swisher and the market for Swisher seemed to collapse a little once Victorino went to Boston.

We played all of our cards right. We used the protected first round pick to our advantage and let the market settle down. We got, in my opinion, the better players and we got them at good value on the dollar. This has been one of the best offseasons in my lifetime. Now, we just need these guys to perform and a couple starters to overperform and we'll have a shot at one of those two wild cards, maybe the Tigers if they get nailed by the injury bug.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby neoleo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:39 pm

Good read Adam. I like how you broke down the sabermetrics for the casual fan.

If the sad teams we had the last two years could be in 1st for half a season each, I don't know why this one can't at least be in the discussion for a play-in game appearance.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:02 am

I dig Bromontana.

I won't advocate for their plan, but I agree with your assessment of the outfield.

Cautiously optimistic.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby 1Perry » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:20 am

neoleo wrote:Good read Adam. I like how you broke down the sabermetrics for the casual fan.

If the sad teams we had the last two years could be in 1st for half a season each, I don't know why this one can't at least be in the discussion for a play-in game appearance.

Best case is the team comes out hot to start the year off again, be in it at the trading deadline, see what we have and trade for pitching.

Simplistic and obvious as far as discussions go but it still nice to actually state it as it's actually realistic.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:37 am

Offensively this team is a Stat-guy's wet dream.

Will they be able to hit the ball enough to make it matter?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby ChoccoIndians » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:41 pm

The big thing for me is I don't feel Detroit is the Shoe in for the division all the media are saying.

With the teams the ALC put on the field last year they should have won 100+ games, even on our darkest days last year they struggled against us, and in the post season, experience and a Verlander Gem got them through the division series, and the Yankees were so shot even the Astro's would have taken a game or 2. The Giants exposed them in the World Series. I actually think the Rangers blew their best chance to win a World Series in 2012.

The Tigers deserve to be ALC favorites, but I don't think as much has to go wrong as people are saying for another team in the ALC to challenge them.
Detroit, we are coming for the central division in 2014!!!
ChoccoIndians

Favorite Player: T Jack Bauer
Least Favorite Player: A-Rod

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB