Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Cavs v Spurs

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Cavs v Spurs

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:09 am

Haven't watched a game for weeks but the boys put in a great effort last night. With Irving having a night to forget and AV injured I thought the team put up an excellent performance. Our bench is really something with Ellington and Speights now in there (what a trade) and Waitors was a friggin' beast, he's growing every game and Zeller had a great 34 minutes. Sucks to lose a game in the last 3 seconds.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Re: Cavs v Spurs

Unread postby jerryroche » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:04 am

With a deeper bench resulting from the recent trade, and the four youngsters from the last two drafts showing startling improvement, the Cavs could be one good draft (and maybe one free agent) away from being a team that can intimidate all others on a nightly basis.

Losing by one point to a veteran team with the best record in the NBA is no embarrassment. This team does have a future, especially if Andy Varejao can return and be even a little bit as effective as he's been in the past.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Wild Thang
Least Favorite Player: Ratlisberger

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:22 am

jerryroche wrote:With a deeper bench resulting from the recent trade, and the four youngsters from the last two drafts showing startling improvement, the Cavs could be one good draft (and maybe one free agent) away from being a team that can intimidate all others on a nightly basis.

Losing by one point to a veteran team with the best record in the NBA is no embarrassment. This team does have a future, especially if Andy Varejao can return and be even a little bit as effective as he's been in the past.

If y'all say so. They played the Spurs well. But losing to the decimated Wolves, the decimated Nuggets and getting blown out by the shitty Pistons all in the last two weeks doesn't exactly make me all warm and fuzzy regarding the future.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:28 am

Youth can be an excuse- for now.

There does seem to be some promise, at least.
I like the team a lot better than I did a few months ago, and that was with AV.

Liked Clayman's article on the game.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:28 am

nt
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby jerryroche » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:27 am

peeker643 wrote:
jerryroche wrote:With a deeper bench resulting from the recent trade, and the four youngsters from the last two drafts showing startling improvement, the Cavs could be one good draft (and maybe one free agent) away from being a team that can intimidate all others on a nightly basis.

If y'all say so. They played the Spurs well. But losing to the decimated Wolves, the decimated Nuggets and getting blown out by the shitty Pistons all in the last two weeks doesn't exactly make me all warm and fuzzy regarding the future.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Cavs are showing way more potential these days. History has proven that younger players—in all pro sports—are generally much more inconsistent from day to day or night to night than veteran players. There's also the problem of first-year players "hitting the wall" at a certain point in the long pro schedule.

Byron Scott is starting four young guys who weren't even born until 1990 and won't reach their physical peaks for another three to five years. Hell, at times they appear to not even have a clue how to play the NBA game (especially defense).

The real question is whether Scott is the guy to develop the youngsters over the next two or three years. So far, he's done a fairly decent job of getting them to play well—on occasion. The next step is getting them to be competitive 80%-90% of the time instead of 50%.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Wild Thang
Least Favorite Player: Ratlisberger

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA