Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Mock Drafts

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Mock Drafts

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:51 pm

Here are who some mocks have the Browns taking:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130124/2013-nfl-mock-draft-1/

1. KC - Luke Joeckel
2. JAX - Bjoern Werner
3. OAK - Damontre Moore
4. PHI - Geno Smith
5. DET - Jarvis Jones
6. CLE - Dee Milliner - CB - Alabama
The ex-Crimson Tide product is the cleanest cornerback on the board, with a physical style of play and the ability to both tackle and pitch in on run defense. The idea of teaming Milliner with Cleveland's other first-round cornerback, the gifted Joe Haden, is an early draft scenario that's already quite popular in northeast Ohio.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock

Rob Rang
1. KC - Geno Smith
2. JAX - Damontre Moore
3. OAK - Bjoern Werner
4. PHI - Luke Joeckel
5. DET - Barkevious Mingo
6. CLE - Jarvis Jones - OLB - Georgia

Dane Brugler
1. KC - Geno Smith
2. JAX - Bjoern Werner
3. OAK - Star Lotulelei
4. PHI - Luke Joeckel
5. DET - Damontre Moore

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php
1. KC - Geno Smith
2. JAX - Star Lotelelei
3. OAK - Damontre Moore
4. PHI - Luke Joeckel
5. DET - Bjoern Werner
6. CLE - Ezekiel Ansah - DE/OLB - BYU
The Browns have to find a franchise quarterback to compete for the AFC North. There are none worth taking here, however - I could be wrong, but I think I remember hearing Michael Lombardi say there was no quarterback worth taking early this year - but that's OK because they need to improve their pass rush as well. Jabaal Sheard led the team in sacks with only seven. Juqua Parker-Thomas was next with six, and he'll be a 35-year-old free agent this offseason.

It was very close for me between Ezekiel Ansah and Barkevious Mingo, but I thought about it and the former makes more sense from a scheme perspective. Lombardi learned from Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick, who both prefer larger rush linebackers. Ansah (274 pounds) dwarfs Mingo (240). He was also more productive this past season and possesses more upside, so why not Ansah?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/gil-brandt/155116

1. KC - Luke Joeckel
2. JAX - Bjoern Werner
3. OAK - Geno Smith
4. PHI - Chance Warmack
5. DET - Dee Milliner
6. CLE - Damontre Moore - DE - Texas A&M
The Browns need a pass rusher, so they go with the best one left on the board in Moore, who offers a ton of upside.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2013/2013-nfl-mock-draft.cfm?writer=37

1. KC - Geno Smith
2. JAX - Star Lotulelei
3. OAK - Bjoern Werner
4. PHI - Luke Joeckel
5. DET - Damontre Moore
6. CLE - Dion Jordan - DE - Oregon
The pass rush could use a play maker (middle of the pack with 38 sacks in 2012). Jabaal Sheard led the team in sacks with only seven. Bolstering the interior of the offensive line is also an area need to address in order to build their offense around Trent Richardson.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2013/2013-nfl-mock-draft.cfm?writer=10

1. KC - Luke Joeckel
2. JAX - Bjoern Werner
3. OAK - Star Lotulelei
4. PHI - Dee Milliner
5. DET - Damontre Moore

I didn't add ESPN's because fuck ESPN.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Mock Drafts

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:13 pm

Ziggy Ansah is the intriguing guy in that group.

Only one real year at BYU, but dude is a 6'6", 270lb guy who can legitimately play either DE or OLB because he's faster than shit.

He's raw though. He could be feast or famine. I could see guys who fancy themselves smarter than the average bear making that pick. Not saying it wouldn't work out and maybe be great, but raw is raw and after physical ability he doesn't have technique to get by on. Not worried about his lack of stamina that people talk about because that can be trained into him.

He's really a freak and I'd be fine if they went that route. He's not getting out of the first round but #6 would be going out on a pretty big limb.

He's also 23 or 24 years old already, depending who you believe.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:23 pm

Who the hell is Juqua Parker-Thomas?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:35 pm

Anytime you can draft a guy with 4.5 a half career sacks....
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:48 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Anytime you can draft a guy with 4.5 a half career sacks....

Only numbers that are gonna matter for that cat are 6'6, 270lbs and his 40-. I'm telling ya that now.

Not saying he's the guy this team needs at #6 as somewhere mid first is probably right, but he ain't getting by some very smart team that will take those 4 1/2 sacks and not give a shit.

If I'm making the pick I'd really, REALLY prefer more of a sure thing. This team can't afford to miss again.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:27 pm

Geno Smith projected #1?

Any of these guys watch football?
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby bookelly » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:58 pm

There needs to be some metric where guys who do mock drafts get graded not only on the accuracy of their drafts, but the actual effectiveness of their high ranked players over the years.

Because otherwise; it's just fools who strut and fret themselves upon the stage, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:10 am

bookelly wrote:There needs to be some metric where guys who do mock drafts get graded not only on the accuracy of their drafts, but the actual effectiveness of their high ranked players over the years.

Because otherwise; it's just fools who strut and fret themselves upon the stage, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Can these guys not predict who the teams will pick without agreeing with said picks? If you look at some of their boards/player rankings, they are much different than where they predict the players to be taken.

For instance, I don't think anyone has Geno Smith as the best player available in the draft, but no one would be shocked to see KC take him anyway. If Al Davis were still alive, they'd have some physical phreak that can't play a lick of football going to him, and they'd probably be right.

I think they should be graded on the accuracy of their predictions, sure. But I don't think they should be responsible for the outcome of the players unless they were mocking how THEY would pick if they were each of the teams.
Hikohadon

Unread postby bookelly » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:49 am

Hikohadon wrote:
bookelly wrote:There needs to be some metric where guys who do mock drafts get graded not only on the accuracy of their drafts, but the actual effectiveness of their high ranked players over the years.

Can these guys not predict who the teams will pick without agreeing with said picks? If you look at some of their boards/player rankings, they are much different than where they predict the players to be taken.

For instance, I don't think anyone has Geno Smith as the best player available in the draft, but no one would be shocked to see KC take him anyway. If Al Davis were still alive, they'd have some physical phreak that can't play a lick of football going to him, and they'd probably be right.

I think they should be graded on the accuracy of their predictions, sure. But I don't think they should be responsible for the outcome of the players unless they were mocking how THEY would pick if they were each of the teams.

Fair enough. I just hope for a more perfect world where decisions and judgement are dictated by a compu

*ERROR CODE 243*
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:07 am

Hikohadon wrote:For instance, I don't think anyone has Geno Smith as the best player available in the draft, but no one would be shocked to see KC take him anyway.

I would. First pick of the new Reid era, I'm not entirely sure he'll want to attach his wagon to a question mark like Geno.

Now Oakland and Philadelphia on the other hand...
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby scott » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:37 am

Our biggest need (outside QB) lines up with the talent at the top of the draft. Browns should have the chance to pick from a few different impact outside rushers from their spot. Just about choosing the right one.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby scott » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:39 am

bookelly wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

Fair enough. I just hope for a more perfect world where decisions and judgement are dictated by a compu

*ERROR CODE 243*

Some of the guys have two different lists. Kiper for one. Draft eligible player ratings and mock drafts. If someone wanted to bother studying the player ratings year over year it would be pretty easy to see if Kiper knows more than the average NFL GM/team draft expert or not.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:31 am

Agree that I want to see these guys get ranked both on who they mock (accuracy of pick, standard deviation of 3-4 spots) and how the players turn out. Make them sign their name beside "can't miss prospects" or "reach at that spot" over the long term.

I'm happy with Mingo, Ansah, or Moore; going to be furious if we waste #6 on a cornerback that nearly everyone agrees isn't nearly shutdown quality, when this team desperately needs front 7 help. Use FA to get the complimentary corner and safety help, continue to roll with what we have for depth, and get some freakish front 7 guys. Not every year that the draft is so stocked with them.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby Prosecutor » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:48 am

bookelly wrote:There needs to be some metric where guys who do mock drafts get graded...

Being a strutting fool upon the stage is not a bad gig - those guys get paid pretty well just for having an opinion.

Actually, they do provide a service. Since I am not able to watch hundreds of college football games, it helps to have people with NFL contacts who can at least provide a list of the draftable players and a semi-accurate ranking of where they probably will go. It at least gives us some names to research and discuss if you're into that.

For example, I'm not a BYU fan and never heard of Ziggy Ansah. He sounds like Jason Pierre-Paul when he came out; an athletic freak who was considered a boom/bust prospect IIRC. With Horton's love for "big guys who can run" he might just be lobbying feverishly for him, 4.5 career sacks notwithstanding.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:41 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:For instance, I don't think anyone has Geno Smith as the best player available in the draft, but no one would be shocked to see KC take him anyway.

I would. First pick of the new Reid era, I'm not entirely sure he'll want to attach his wagon to a question mark like Geno.

Now Oakland and Philadelphia on the other hand...

I would be shocked as well. There's zero doubt in my mind that Reid will take a QB somewhere in this draft, but not at #1.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:57 pm

Prosecutor wrote:
bookelly wrote:There needs to be some metric where guys who do mock drafts get graded...

Being a strutting fool upon the stage is not a bad gig - those guys get paid pretty well just for having an opinion.

Actually, they do provide a service. Since I am not able to watch hundreds of college football games, it helps to have people with NFL contacts who can at least provide a list of the draftable players and a semi-accurate ranking of where they probably will go. It at least gives us some names to research and discuss if you're into that.

For example, I'm not a BYU fan and never heard of Ziggy Ansah. He sounds like Jason Pierre-Paul when he came out; an athletic freak who was considered a boom/bust prospect IIRC. With Horton's love for "big guys who can run" he might just be lobbying feverishly for him, 4.5 career sacks notwithstanding.

Wish I got paid big bucks to have an opinion. I'd be Bill Gates ;-) ;) :wink: Funny you mention JPP because a couple sites I visit have JPP as well as Justin Tuck as NFL comps.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Prosecutor » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:09 pm

Peeks, I was just checking out Ansah at NFLDraftScout and they comped him to JPP.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... kiel-ansah

The interesting part was how BYU moved him "all over the field" playing him at LB (all three positions), DE, and even nose tackle. Horton is going to love that. He mentioned doing the same thing with Jamaal Sheard next year.

They currently have him being drafted in the 15-19 range, but that could change with the Combine and individual workouts.

As much as Horton likes to blitz, this kind of player could be irresistable.

He never played football before coming to BYU from Ghana, so that kind of explains the 4.5 career sacks.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:03 pm

Kiper has us taking Werner FSU and McShay has Mingo LSU

I'm personally hoping we go OLB in free agency and Millner Falls to us
Nicastro13

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Joe Pittsburgh Fan

Unread postby pup » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:09 pm

One NFL personnel evaluator characterized BYU DE Ziggy Ansah as a "one-year wonder" and a "tweener."

"If a guy has length, some twitch and a motor, people think it’s Jason Pierre-Paul," the scout told Pro Football Weekly. "He ain’t. Otherwise, they wouldn’t align him inside so much. He’s a one-year wonder and a tweener. ... Put on the bowl game. He was getting pushed down the field and a ball was thrown at his chest and he intercepts it. He fell into it — he didn’t create it. That’s how he produced this year." Ansah is perhaps this year's most polarizing draft-eligible prospect.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:42 pm

Nicastro13 wrote:Kiper has us taking Werner FSU and McShay has Mingo LSU

Are there any OLB's worth having in FA? I haven't checked yet.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Prosecutor » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:02 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
Nicastro13 wrote:Kiper has us taking Werner FSU and McShay has Mingo LSU

Are there any OLB's worth having in FA? I haven't checked yet.

Anthony Spencer, Dallas Cowboys, according to Bleacher Report.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1519151-3-nfl-teams-that-should-make-a-run-at-anthony-spencer?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=cleveland-browns
Last edited by Prosecutor on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:03 pm

There's a grip of them. About 3-4 premium talents and then a half dozen Gocongs.
Gradysmanldy

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:43 pm

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42077/309/nfl-free-agent-master-list-13?pg=3

Rush Linebackers

Paul Kruger
Anthony Spencer
Connor Barwin
Shaun Phillips
Victor Butler
Antwan Barnes
Bryan Thomas
Quentin Groves
Erik Walden
Shawne Merriman
Travis LaBoy
Chris Wilson
Jamaal Westerman

Yeah, there's some interesting ones there.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:42 pm

pup wrote:
One NFL personnel evaluator characterized BYU DE Ziggy Ansah as a "one-year wonder" and a "tweener."

"If a guy has length, some twitch and a motor, people think it’s Jason Pierre-Paul," the scout told Pro Football Weekly. "He ain’t. Otherwise, they wouldn’t align him inside so much. He’s a one-year wonder and a tweener. ... Put on the bowl game. He was getting pushed down the field and a ball was thrown at his chest and he intercepts it. He fell into it — he didn’t create it. That’s how he produced this year." Ansah is perhaps this year's most polarizing draft-eligible prospect.

Not saying he's not. Just that 15-19 will be low when all is said and done. He's allegedly extremely coachable and that size and speed on display at the Combine are going to push him into top 12 IMO. Like I said, it would scare me some at #6, but the guy is a freak.

I also take anything any team or team personnel says about a guy from the day after SB to time they draft with a grain of salt. They're all lying about everything. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby pup » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:01 pm

Just adding the counter for the conversation (mooning)
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby pod2dawg » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:51 pm

If we stay at 6........my order of best available would be Moore, Werner, then debate between taking a chance on Jones' spinal stenosis vs. Miliner then Ringo... er I mean Wingo.*

* Results determined from 15 minutes of quality research.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:59 pm

leadpipe wrote:Geno Smith projected #1?

But somebody needs to have dibs on the next RG3, even though RG3 really hasn't become RG3 just yet.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:15 am

FUDU wrote:

But somebody needs to have dibs on the next RG3, even though RG3 really hasn't become RG3 just yet.

Except that Geno Smith reminds nobody of RG3.

He's more Weeden than RG3.

Seriously.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby justmebd » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:35 am

leadpipe wrote:
FUDU wrote:

Seriously.

How dare you insult Mike Holmgren's favorite QB on these very boards!!! Look at those stats . . . . no wait, look at that poise . . . no wait . . . Look at the . . . uhhh . . . Hey!! Look, A Squirrel!!!
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:27 am

FUDU wrote:

If someone drafts him with the idea of the "next RG3" in mind, they haven't watched Geno play very much. He's more of a pocket passer.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:28 am

justmebd wrote:
leadpipe wrote:
FUDU wrote:

Seriously.

How dare you insult Mike Holmgren's favorite QB on these very boards!!! Look at those stats . . . . no wait, look at that poise . . . no wait . . . Look at the . . . uhhh . . . Hey!! Look, A Squirrel!!!

That wasn't an insult, rather a statement that Geno isn't that mobile.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:53 am

Hikohadon wrote:
justmebd wrote:
leadpipe wrote:
FUDU wrote:

Seriously.

That wasn't an insult, rather a statement that Geno isn't that mobile.

And he's really not good under pressure, and he's only played against weak sauce watered down Big 12 competition......god, i've heard all this before about some player, but I can't remember who.

Would be hysterical if the Browns drafted a Big 12 guy 3 out of 4 years.
Gradysmanldy

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:07 am

Yes, it would be hysterical if they took Geno Smith.
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:49 am

Almost as hysterical as all the dufus' on here the see a black QB and compare him to RG3...
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:00 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Almost as hysterical as all the dufus' on here the see a black QB and compare him to RG3...

This. He's night and day compared to RG3. I'd say he's more of a McNabb or Vick type. Also has some Doug Williams in him too. Not that any of those guys can play QB anyway.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:24 pm

I just want to know who stole Geno's extra calf muscle....
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby HoodooMan » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:44 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I just want to know who stole Geno's extra calf muscle....

Clearly, he's the victim of poor breeding.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:20 pm

Finally watched some Ansah video today. Enticing, I can see why some would be willing to take the chance. Could be a real playmaker... if he can be taught to get off blocks better. Otherwise he'll get eaten alive in the NFL where he can power rush linemen into the backfield.

Because he has such limited football experience, there's certainly a chance that he could be taught that. But I don't know if a team like the Browns can afford such a boom-or-bust prospect at 6.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:27 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Finally watched some Ansah video today. Enticing, I can see why some would be willing to take the chance. Could be a real playmaker... if he can be taught to get off blocks better. Otherwise he'll get eaten alive in the NFL where he can power rush linemen into the backfield.

Because he has such limited football experience, there's certainly a chance that he could be taught that. But I don't know if a team like the Browns can afford such a boom-or-bust prospect at 6.

Exactly right. He's a freak. But at #6?.... ehhh....not sure I have the stomach for that risk there...

Reading more about him, interesting story, apparently a bright kid and also apparently extremely receptive to coaching and working. So if he busts, he busts working hard at it. Which will still be no consolation if he busts working hard at it in an orange helmet.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:47 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:Finally watched some Ansah video today. Enticing, I can see why some would be willing to take the chance. Could be a real playmaker... if he can be taught to get off blocks better. Otherwise he'll get eaten alive in the NFL where he can power rush linemen into the backfield.

Exactly right. He's a freak. But at #6?.... ehhh....not sure I have the stomach for that risk there...

Reading more about him, interesting story, apparently a bright kid and also apparently extremely receptive to coaching and working. So if he busts, he busts working hard at it. Which will still be no consolation if he busts working hard at it in an orange helmet.

Sounds like a football version of Tristan Thompson...
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:57 pm

Or a football version of Chaun Thompson. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:42 pm

Geno Smith = Almost Andre Ware
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:26 am

Hikohadon wrote:Here are who some mocks have the Browns taking:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130124/2013-nfl-mock-draft-1/

1. KC - Luke Joeckel
2. JAX - Bjoern Werner
3. OAK - Damontre Moore
4. PHI - Geno Smith
5. DET - Jarvis Jones
The ex-Crimson Tide product is the cleanest cornerback on the board, with a physical style of play and the ability to both tackle and pitch in on run defense. The idea of teaming Milliner with Cleveland's other first-round cornerback, the gifted Joe Haden, is an early draft scenario that's already quite popular in northeast Ohio.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock

Rob Rang
1. KC - Geno Smith
2. JAX - Damontre Moore
3. OAK - Bjoern Werner
4. PHI - Luke Joeckel
5. DET - Barkevious Mingo

Dane Brugler
1. KC - Geno Smith
2. JAX - Bjoern Werner
3. OAK - Star Lotulelei
4. PHI - Luke Joeckel
5. DET - Damontre Moore

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php
1. KC - Geno Smith
2. JAX - Star Lotelelei
3. OAK - Damontre Moore
4. PHI - Luke Joeckel
5. DET - Bjoern Werner
6. CLE - Ezekiel Ansah - DE/OLB - BYU
The Browns have to find a franchise quarterback to compete for the AFC North. There are none worth taking here, however - I could be wrong, but I think I remember hearing Michael Lombardi say there was no quarterback worth taking early this year - but that's OK because they need to improve their pass rush as well. Jabaal Sheard led the team in sacks with only seven. Juqua Parker-Thomas was next with six, and he'll be a 35-year-old free agent this offseason.

It was very close for me between Ezekiel Ansah and Barkevious Mingo, but I thought about it and the former makes more sense from a scheme perspective. Lombardi learned from Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick, who both prefer larger rush linebackers. Ansah (274 pounds) dwarfs Mingo (240). He was also more productive this past season and possesses more upside, so why not Ansah?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/gil-brandt/155116

1. KC - Luke Joeckel
2. JAX - Bjoern Werner
3. OAK - Geno Smith
4. PHI - Chance Warmack
5. DET - Dee Milliner
6. CLE - Damontre Moore - DE - Texas A&M
The Browns need a pass rusher, so they go with the best one left on the board in Moore, who offers a ton of upside.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2013/2013-nfl-mock-draft.cfm?writer=37

1. KC - Geno Smith
2. JAX - Star Lotulelei
3. OAK - Bjoern Werner
4. PHI - Luke Joeckel
5. DET - Damontre Moore
6. CLE - Dion Jordan - DE - Oregon
The pass rush could use a play maker (middle of the pack with 38 sacks in 2012). Jabaal Sheard led the team in sacks with only seven. Bolstering the interior of the offensive line is also an area need to address in order to build their offense around Trent Richardson.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2013/2013-nfl-mock-draft.cfm?writer=10

1. KC - Luke Joeckel
2. JAX - Bjoern Werner
3. OAK - Star Lotulelei
4. PHI - Dee Milliner
5. DET - Damontre Moore

I didn't add ESPN's because fuck ESPN.

SD:

When the list looks the same between 15 and 20 as it does between 1 and five , then its time to trade down if you can find that sucker to trade with .

Gimme that big safety outta of FSU , or that Mel Blount sized corner and find me a tight end with that second pick you gleaned in the trade down .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby jb » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:06 pm

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f773b8/article/few-have-necessary-traits-to-draft-coach-quarterbacks

With that in mind, my money is on Mallett and Blaine Gabbert being the two to succeed. Each fits the criteria above and has the skill set to lead a team.

Only time will tell who is right.

Follow Michael Lombardi on Twitter @michaelombardi.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81fa3fc0/article/some-teams-took-risks-on-qbs-that-could-haunt-them-for-years

I was a Blaine Gabbert fan before the draft and feel he will give the Jaguars a bright future. The vision the Jaguars used in making this pick should be commended as long as their (and my) evaluation was correct. Gabbert loves football.

Kaepernick's lack of accuracy makes Locker look precise with the ball -- now that is a scary thought. Kaepernick will take some time to develop. Even when that happens, I am not sure he is a starter.

Follow Michael Lombardi on Twitter @michaelombardi.
jb

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:20 pm

^^
Scary as fuck.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:54 pm

Hikohadon wrote:^^
Scary as fuck.

jb

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:05 pm

"Run the ball...stop the run" is dead.

Three things you need above all else:

1) The passer
2) the guys who protect the passer
3) the guys who rush the passer

As far as I can see, the Browns have #2 decently covered.

There doesn't appear to be an immediate solution to #1 available with the 6th pick.

So if they take anyone other than at least a partial solution to #3 in the first round, they're idiots. (and I know they need a solid corner and a solid safety REAL bad, but I don't see a #6-worthy pick there, so I'll stick with the statement)

I realize I haven't said anything here that isn't blindingly obvious...but isn't that what we do here?

BTW, I have every expectation that they'll fuck it up.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby jb » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:22 pm

danwismar wrote:"Run the ball...stop the run" is dead.

Three things you need above all else:

1) The passer
2) the guys who protect the passer
3) the guys who rush the passer

As far as I can see, the Browns have #2 decently covered.

There doesn't appear to be an immediate solution to #1 available with the 6th pick.

So if they take anyone other than at least a partial solution to #3 in the first round, they're idiots. (and I know they need a solid corner and a solid safety REAL bad, but I don't see a #6-worthy pick there, so I'll stick with the statement)

I realize I haven't said anything here that isn't blindingly obvious...but isn't that what we do here?

BTW, I have every expectation that they'll fuck it up.

Danny - No huge disagreement here except I may nuance # 3.

I think there remians a bit iof symbiosis with rush and coverage even in today's glorfied 7 on 7.

The quality of the pass rushers needed varries a bit when you are talking strating corners of Old man Shelly and buster Buster and Haden and Millner. Not that this is 1985 and a great pair of CBs can run around with recievers for 5 seconds while the QB counts his "misissippi's", but if you assume 3 - 4 seconds before the sack you have to be able to reasonably cover, with the casveat that a Brees, Brady and Rogers can still kill yah with a back shoulder throw on occasion.

I am not very impressed by the pass rusher crop other than J Jones in a scheme, so there is no need to reach on one of these project guys or a Borg Warner to be your Chris Long.
jb

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:49 pm

I like Milliner as much as the next guy, but I'm afraid they're going to "love" him into a #6 pick when he may not belong there, because they need a CB so bad.

I see several pass-rushers that will be there at 6 that make more sense to me...Moore, Werner among them
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:55 pm

jb wrote:
I am not very impressed by the pass rusher crop other than J Jones in a scheme, so there is no need to reach on one of these project guys or a Borg Warner to be your Chris Long.

Damontre Moore.

Be impressed.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL