Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Lineup Next Year

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:27 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
jerryroche wrote:I know there are issues with his velocity and his motion, but are there any rumors that Ubaldo might also have somewhat of a head problem? I can't believe that various coaches haven't tried to correct his motion/velocity problems in the past 1-1/2 seasons.

Could he be a head case (stubborn, at least) on top of it all?


He had a very public bitchfest about the Rockies after the trade, whining that they didn't pay him enough and that he was treated unfairly. Then, he really seemed to sulk for an extended period about being traded from the only organization he knew.

It wouldn't shock me if he had some coachability problems. I have it on good authority that Acta was not a player-friendly manager and was a "do it my way or no way" kind of skipper. Radinsky was fired during the season. The season was a lost cause when Niebla came in. Callaway and Francona may be able to get through to Jimenez, I don't know.

The velocity problem was chalked up to a hip flexor during Spring Training that never went away and a finger injury during 2011. At least, that's what everybody said, anyway. But, 2012 proves that it was more than that.


Again, he could have the head the size of a marble and be as uncoachable a guy you ever saw - and if he's throwing 96 with movement he's gonna get outs.

He could be Mother Theresa in a ball cap throwing 92 with his command and he's gonna blow.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6504
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:56 pm

leadpipe wrote:Again, he could have the head the size of a marble and be as uncoachable a guy you ever saw - and if he's throwing 96 with movement he's gonna get outs.

He could be Mother Theresa in a ball cap throwing 92 with his command and he's gonna blow.


Yes, but if he's not willing to listen to the coaches' suggestions on how to restore his velo, he's not going to. It's pretty clear that whatever his offseason regimen is isn't working, as his velo has steadily dropped for three years.
Last edited by skatingtripods on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14346
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:05 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
leadpipe wrote:Again, he could have the head the size of a marble and be as uncoachable a guy you ever saw - and if he's throwing 96 with movement he's gonna get outs.

He could be Mother Theresa in a ball cap throwing 92 with his command and he's gonna blow.


Yes, but if he's not willing to listen to the coaches' suggestions on how to restore his velo, he's not going to. It's pretty clear that whatever his offense regimen is isn't working, as his velo has steadily dropped for three years.


But this is the crux of the problem.

No way to know for sure, but I'd be skeptical if coaching is gonna restore that velocity. I'd say the wear and tear of pitching is the cause, as it has been for a zillion other guys. Whether I'm right or wrong is up for debate I suppose, BUT IF YOU'RE GETTING PAID TO MAKE THESE DECISIONS YOU BETTER DAMN WELL KNOW WHICH IT IS BEFORE YOU TRADE FOR THE GUY.

If they think - and thought, they could "coach up" his velocity back, than I'd say I think it's a pretty poor gamble, but have at it. If they traded for him thinking the velocity drop wasn't that big a deal, I'd ask what other qualities does the guy bring to the table. Practically ALL his success was based on having a plus fastball, so yeah, might wanna be clear as to why he wasn't throwing too hard.

People make mistakes in judgement in deals all the time. No big deal. But there were some big warning sign here they oughta have checked out. Inexcusable.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6504
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:18 pm

leadpipe wrote:But this is the crux of the problem.

No way to know for sure, but I'd be skeptical if coaching is gonna restore that velocity. I'd say the wear and tear of pitching is the cause, as it has been for a zillion other guys. Whether I'm right or wrong is up for debate I suppose, BUT IF YOU'RE GETTING PAID TO MAKE THESE DECISIONS YOU BETTER DAMN WELL KNOW WHICH IT IS BEFORE YOU TRADE FOR THE GUY.

If they think - and thought, they could "coach up" his velocity back, than I'd say I think it's a pretty poor gamble, but have at it. If they traded for him thinking the velocity drop wasn't that big a deal, I'd ask what other qualities does the guy bring to the table. Practically ALL his success was based on having a plus fastball, so yeah, might wanna be clear as to why he wasn't throwing too hard.


Two things:

1. I realize my argument may be a little bit simplistic. The test case in Boddy's article was 86 to 90, which is much easier than increasing 92 to 96, and he admitted as much when I asked him about Jimenez. But, I imagine restoring *some* of that velocity is doable. If he could throw 96 before, outside of an arm injury, which we've never heard anything about, it seems reasonable that Jimenez could get back to 96.

2. When I say "coaches", I just don't mean Francona and Callaway. Why wouldn't the strength coach suggest a training regimen to increase velocity?

I can't speak for Boddy, but, his facility has taken a lot of players and increased their velocity by leaps and bounds. I will say that many of them are still developing pitchers, which would probably make a difference in the Jimenez scenario, but if he says it's possible to restore velocity, I have no reason not to believe him.

I asked him why teams and organizations don't do it and he said because they don't think it can be done. When I asked him if it was a systemic issue, he said yes and that velo drops tend to happen due to a reduction in training. A reduction in training is probably both a suggestion from the top and the pitcher adhering to the general consensus of arms getting burnt out and limiting workload.

Overall, my point in the article was this: What do the Indians have to lose? We've already established that Jimenez is borderline useless throwing 92. What does any team have to lose with a non-prospect or a fading starter? If the guy keeps dropping in velo, he'll continue to lose value. Why not try to stop it? Because the culture of babying pitchers has dictated it.

People make mistakes in judgement in deals all the time. No big deal. But there were some big warning sign here they oughta have checked out. Inexcusable.


There were. They were told it was a hip flexor and a finger issue and the Rockies didn't allow the Indians to perform a physical before making the trade, at least from my recollection. That was a big mistake on Antonetti's part.

But, you have to try and salvage what you can. If shutting him down for a couple months to try and increase his velocity, while we still have another option year available, has any chance of working, it should be explored.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14346
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:54 pm

Jason Giambi about to get minor league deal from the Indians.

Over/under 4 games before some asshat starts talking about his offensive numbers in Spring Training and how he "still has something left".
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14346
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:21 pm

Ok...this is fun

Vs. righty

RF Bourne - L
2B Kipnis - L
SS Droobs - S
1B Swisher - S
C Carlos - S
DH Giambi/Reynolds/Aviles - L/R/R
3B Chiz - L
LF Brantley - L
CF Stubbs - R

Vs. Lefties

CF Bourn - L
2B Kipnis/Aviles - L/R
SS Droobs - S
RF Swisher - S
1B Carlos - S
DH Reynolds - R
3B Chiz/Aviles/Phelps - L/R/S
C Marson - R
Rf Stubbs - R

Damn...you can throw a quite respectable nearly all lefty or all righty lineup out there.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
User avatar
bookelly
Happy Easter!!
 
Posts: 3347
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:58 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:28 pm

Somebody's gotta be traded soon...

I think Zeke Carrera may be gone, which is fine by me
User avatar
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis
 
Posts: 1437
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:17 pm
Location: Erie, PA
Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:33 pm

RedDawg53 wrote:Somebody's gotta be traded soon...

I think Zeke Carrera may be gone, which is fine by me


Well, there's certainly at least a DFA coming to make room on the 40 man. Would have to think Carrera might want to have some boxes on hand the next couple days.
User avatar
Adverb Harry
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:30 pm
Location: Souvenir City
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:44 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:
RedDawg53 wrote:Somebody's gotta be traded soon...

I think Zeke Carrera may be gone, which is fine by me


Well, there's certainly at least a DFA coming to make room on the 40 man. Would have to think Carrera might want to have some boxes on hand the next couple days.


Good thing the Tribe didn't re-re-claim Russ Canzler. He would had been DFA yet again
User avatar
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis
 
Posts: 1437
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:17 pm
Location: Erie, PA
Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:48 pm

RedDawg53 wrote:
Adverb Harry wrote:
RedDawg53 wrote:Somebody's gotta be traded soon...

I think Zeke Carrera may be gone, which is fine by me


Well, there's certainly at least a DFA coming to make room on the 40 man. Would have to think Carrera might want to have some boxes on hand the next couple days.


Good thing the Tribe didn't re-re-claim Russ Canzler. He would had been DFA yet again


:lmfao: That would have been golden.

That said, in all seriousness...do we have the finances for this? Or does someone have to go? We kept hearing how they had a couple million left to spend. This is a little bit more than that...
User avatar
Adverb Harry
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:30 pm
Location: Souvenir City
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby neoleo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:39 am

It's not too late to trade A Cab or Perez, and either/both could fetch us a starting pitcher while potentially reducing payroll.
User avatar
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:02 am
Location: Cleveland, OH
Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:43 am

neoleo wrote:It's not too late to trade A Cab or Perez, and either/both could fetch us a starting pitcher while potentially reducing payroll.


My first reaction is that Stubbs could be on the block, but he's a RH bat; we saw what happened against lefties last year when Shelley Duncan was the only RH bat option on the bench. Would be nice to be able to roll Aviles, Reynolds, and Stubbs out there against a tough lefty, and make him work for it.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
User avatar
Gradysmanldy
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:58 pm
Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:11 am

paul hoynes
‏@hoynsie
Nick Swisher on anticipated move to first base: That's the position I thought I was going to play when I signed.


https://twitter.com/hoynsie/status/301344790442819585
User avatar
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God
 
Posts: 8747
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:21 am
Location: Cardiff, UK
Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:19 am

bookelly wrote:Ok...this is fun

Vs. righty

RF Bourne - L
2B Kipnis - L
SS Droobs - S
1B Swisher - S
C Carlos - S
DH Giambi/Reynolds/Aviles - L/R/R
3B Chiz - L
LF Brantley - L
CF Stubbs - R

Vs. Lefties

CF Bourn - L
2B Kipnis/Aviles - L/R
SS Droobs - S
RF Swisher - S
1B Carlos - S
DH Reynolds - R
3B Chiz/Aviles/Phelps - L/R/S
C Marson - R
Rf Stubbs - R

Damn...you can throw a quite respectable nearly all lefty or all righty lineup out there.


P_lease stop it, you're turning me on
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
User avatar
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!
 
Posts: 9129
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:31 pm
Location: University of Bristol, UK
Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Chris Perez

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby neoleo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:13 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:
paul hoynes
‏@hoynsie
Nick Swisher on anticipated move to first base: That's the position I thought I was going to play when I signed.


https://twitter.com/hoynsie/status/301344790442819585


I saw that, very interesting comment. And I think that should stop the Stubbs on the block speculation, no?
User avatar
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:02 am
Location: Cleveland, OH
Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby pup » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:36 pm

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Indians are "not looking to move" Drew Stubbs or Michael Brantley.
There was some speculation that Stubbs or Brantley could be on the block after the Indians agreed to terms with Michael Bourn on Monday night, but it appears there will be room for all of them. As of now, the plan is to use Bourn, Brantley and Stubbs in the outfield while Nick Swisher will mostly play first base and Mark Reynolds will get the majority of his at-bats from the DH spot.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12004
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:51 pm

neoleo wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:
paul hoynes
‏@hoynsie
Nick Swisher on anticipated move to first base: That's the position I thought I was going to play when I signed.


https://twitter.com/hoynsie/status/301344790442819585


I saw that, very interesting comment. And I think that should stop the Stubbs on the block speculation, no?


That was my first thought when I read it.
User avatar
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God
 
Posts: 8747
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:21 am
Location: Cardiff, UK
Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby redneckofsc » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:15 pm

Well this beats David Dellucci and Jason Michaels.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
User avatar
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder
 
Posts: 4548
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:24 pm
Location: W/ Russell Branyan
Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:21 pm

Right from the horses mouth (well, via Jordan Bastian).

Jordan Bastian
‏@MLBastian
Francona: Brantley will play LF, Stubbs will play RF, Swisher mostly 1B, with some RF & Reynolds will DH with some 1B.



https://twitter.com/MLBastian/status/301418722969673728
User avatar
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God
 
Posts: 8747
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:21 am
Location: Cardiff, UK
Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby statmasta » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:36 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Right from the horses mouth (well, via Jordan Bastian).

Jordan Bastian
‏@MLBastian
Francona: Brantley will play LF, Stubbs will play RF, Swisher mostly 1B, with some RF & Reynolds will DH with some 1B.



https://twitter.com/MLBastian/status/301418722969673728

Video:
http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/video/ ... 9&c_id=cle
User avatar
statmasta
 
Posts: 1743
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:45 pm
Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:22 pm

Raffy Left signs a minor league deal with the Twinkies...

www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/twins-si ... perez.html
Don't go away mad, just go away.
User avatar
WiscTribeFan
Mook
 
Posts: 2669
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:10 pm
Location: Kenosha, WI
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby scrambler » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:44 pm

neoleo wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:
paul hoynes
‏@hoynsie
Nick Swisher on anticipated move to first base: That's the position I thought I was going to play when I signed.


https://twitter.com/hoynsie/status/301344790442819585


I saw that, very interesting comment. And I think that should stop the Stubbs on the block speculation, no?


I would hope nothing would stop an attempt to trade Drew Stubbs. I don't want speculation, I want all in efforts to trade Stubbs for any A or AA pitcher with an ounce of potential. In 2011 Drew Stubbs did not hit as well as Shelley Duncan. In 2012 Drew Stubbs did not hit as well as Shelley Duncan. I can't see his speed and defense enough to offset how horrible he is as a hitter. I guess there's magic beans in Arizona this year that will revert both Stubbs and Jimenez to 2010.
scrambler
 
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:58 am
Location: Idaho
Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby pup » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:51 pm

OIC
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12004
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:39 pm

scrambler wrote:I can't see his speed and defense enough to offset how horrible he is as a hitter.


Considering his WAR by season is: 1.4, 4.0, 2.6, 1.3, I'm pretty sure that makes his speed and defense enough to offset how horrible he is as a hitter.

Also, as I've already said, Stubbs is an above average hitter against LHP. He'll have value, just not as much as an everyday player instead of a strictly platoon player.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14346
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:05 pm

scrambler wrote:
I would hope nothing would stop an attempt to trade Drew Stubbs. I don't want speculation, I want all in efforts to trade Stubbs for any A or AA pitcher with an ounce of potential. In 2011 Drew Stubbs did not hit as well as Shelley Duncan. In 2012 Drew Stubbs did not hit as well as Shelley Duncan. I can't see his speed and defense enough to offset how horrible he is as a hitter. I guess there's magic beans in Arizona this year that will revert both Stubbs and Jimenez to 2010.



Drew Stubbs slept with your wife, didnt he?
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
User avatar
Dnthateonthepronk
 
Posts: 1819
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:10 pm

Actually, Drew Stubbs slept with me. Tried to, anyway. And that's all I want to say about the matter...other than his last name is not at all fitting.
User avatar
Adverb Harry
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:30 pm
Location: Souvenir City
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby swerb » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 pm

This thread just got weird.

Right around the time someone suggested we could trade Zeke Carerra.

I found that even odder than the fact that Adverb Harry had sexual relations with Drew Stubbs.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17875
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby scrambler » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:15 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
scrambler wrote:I can't see his speed and defense enough to offset how horrible he is as a hitter.


Considering his WAR by season is: 1.4, 4.0, 2.6, 1.3, I'm pretty sure that makes his speed and defense enough to offset how horrible he is as a hitter.

Also, as I've already said, Stubbs is an above average hitter against LHP. He'll have value, just not as much as an everyday player instead of a strictly platoon player.


Playing only against lefties would be fine. That's not what I'm sensing about what's going on with him. In 2010 he had even splits right and left, and he had very close to every day player skills back then. The last two years he's hit lefties only. I'm guessing perhaps that's the trend. I'd much rather see Carrera against righties.
scrambler
 
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:58 am
Location: Idaho
Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:09 pm

scrambler wrote: I'd much rather see Carrera against righties.




Did he backdoor her too?
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
User avatar
Dnthateonthepronk
 
Posts: 1819
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:Actually, Drew Stubbs slept with me. Tried to, anyway. And that's all I want to say about the matter...other than his last name is not at all fitting.



So he has one of those ironic names?
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
User avatar
Dnthateonthepronk
 
Posts: 1819
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:10 pm

Yeah, in all seriousness, I am intrigued by Stubbs. Great defense, speed, pop, and if you limit exposure to some tough righties, he could put up some good OBP. Supposedly, he's working on his swing mechanics (yeah, yeah, spring training cliches), but he could be a steal, especially batting in the 9th spot where really any offense is a bonus. I'd like to see what he could do for a few months before they relegate him to full bench duty.
User avatar
Adverb Harry
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:30 pm
Location: Souvenir City
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:20 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:
Adverb Harry wrote:Actually, Drew Stubbs slept with me. Tried to, anyway. And that's all I want to say about the matter...other than his last name is not at all fitting.



So he has one of those ironic names?


Yep. Like Tiny or Slim. Or, in my case, Mr. 30 Seconds. On second thought, that one's about right.
User avatar
Adverb Harry
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:30 pm
Location: Souvenir City
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:08 am

I love that of all the players a guy could have a vendetta against, he picked Drew Stubbs.
Dellucci TailGator
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:09 pm
Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby neoleo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:47 am

Dellucci TailGator wrote:I love that of all the players a guy could have a vendetta against, he picked Drew Stubbs.


At least its not Jamey Carroll.

Avilles is going to take some of Stubb's AB's this year, and if Giambi makes the squad I think he takes AB's from Stubbs too.

vs. Lefties: RF Stubbs, 1B Swisher, DH Reynolds.
vs. Righties: RF Swisher, 1B Reynolds, DH Giambi/Avilles (he'll play the field whoever he replaces is DH)

Francona's quotes have basically said as much. He raved about Giambi today and daz already posted this quote upthread:

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Right from the horses mouth (well, via Jordan Bastian).

Jordan Bastian
‏@MLBastian
Francona: Brantley will play LF, Stubbs will play RF, Swisher mostly 1B, with some RF & Reynolds will DH with some 1B.



https://twitter.com/MLBastian/status/301418722969673728


I think the "some" RF for Swisher and "some" 1B for Reynolds will be against tough righties.

Maybe not a full platoon, but Stubbs won't be an every day player and his spot will be a way for Avilles/Giambi to get AB's.
User avatar
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:02 am
Location: Cleveland, OH
Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:52 pm

Could be worse, Luis Valbuena is the FAVORITE to win the starting 3B job for the Cubs. It's between him and Ian Stewart, who also sucks.

Valbuena would easily be the worst everyday player at 3B, both offensively and defensively.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14346
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:03 pm

I think Stewart, if he ever gets healthy, won't be a horrible player. He's struggled with the injury bug the last few years.

That said, the thought of watching Valbuena at the hot corner for the Cubs all summer will make them even harder to watch, although watching Rizzo swing the bat makes it a bit easier. The Padres sold way too low on him, I think.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
User avatar
WiscTribeFan
Mook
 
Posts: 2669
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:10 pm
Location: Kenosha, WI
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:06 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:I think Stewart, if he ever gets healthy, won't be a horrible player. He's struggled with the injury bug the last few years.

That said, the thought of watching Valbuena at the hot corner for the Cubs all summer will make them even harder to watch, although watching Rizzo swing the bat makes it a bit easier. The Padres sold way too low on him, I think.


Stewart's already going to be 28 at the start of this year. He better hope he stays healthy and figures it out pretty quickly.

Yeah, Rizzo for a full season will be nice. I think the Cubs exceed their win total (72 at Atlantis Casino in Reno). I do like their rotation. I think Samardzjia is poised to become a top 15 NL starting pitcher.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14346
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby neoleo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:10 pm

Cleveland Indians‏@Indians

First spring lineup for tmrw v CIN: Bourn CF, Cabrera SS, Kipnis 2B, Swisher 1B, Brantley LF, Santana C, Reynolds DH, Chisenhall 3B, Stubbs RF


Breaks up the lefties and the switch hitters nicely. Santana at 6 is a bit of a surprise to me but it ensures that the lineup has no back-to-back lefties or switch hitters. I like Brantley lower in the lineup (I thought he'd be 6 behind Santana) and I might switch Kipnis and ACab, but that starts you off with two lefties.

I'm sure it will change before opening day but a good look at which way Francona is leaning.
User avatar
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:02 am
Location: Cleveland, OH
Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:19 pm

Santana has to hit cleanup in my opinion
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
User avatar
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!
 
Posts: 9129
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:31 pm
Location: University of Bristol, UK
Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Chris Perez

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:22 pm

neoleo wrote:
Cleveland Indians‏@Indians

First spring lineup for tmrw v CIN: Bourn CF, Cabrera SS, Kipnis 2B, Swisher 1B, Brantley LF, Santana C, Reynolds DH, Chisenhall 3B, Stubbs RF


Breaks up the lefties and the switch hitters nicely. Santana at 6 is a bit of a surprise to me but it ensures that the lineup has no back-to-back lefties or switch hitters. I like Brantley lower in the lineup (I thought he'd be 6 behind Santana) and I might switch Kipnis and ACab, but that starts you off with two lefties.

I'm sure it will change before opening day but a good look at which way Francona is leaning.


I'm in love with that lineup. I hope that's the everyday lineup. If you get the top of the order on, guys like Brantley, Santana, and Reynolds are really going to extend the inning for the pitcher and possibly get some mistakes to jump on. Get those guys on at the top and you might see a lot of 20-pitch innings for the opposing starters.

I actually like Santana batting 6th, even though it negates some of his OBP value with Reynolds, Chisenhall, and Stubbs behind him. I think it gives him the chance to be a little bit more aggressive on fastballs, especially with runners on base. Even with the protection behind him, if runners are on base, pitchers have to come after Santana and challenge him. If they walk him, the risk-reward of Reynolds goes up. You might strike him out, but he also may turn a solo HR into a 2 or 3-run HR. Same with Chisenhall. When's the last time we had a 7 & 8 combo with the possibility of hitting 45+ HR? Has to be the mid-90s.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14346
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:11 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:Santana has to hit cleanup in my opinion


Santana has to hit .270 in my opinion.

.265 would be swell.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22492
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby neoleo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:27 am

peeker643 wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:Santana has to hit cleanup in my opinion


Santana has to hit .270 in my opinion.

.265 would be swell.


I'm perfectly fine with him being dropped in the order. I assumed it would be 5 but I'm ok with 6 because I like the balance it gives the lineup. Quotes coming out about the lineup from Francona and Alomar that they want him to concentrate on catching and handling the staff. Batting him 3rd and 4th wasn't allowing him to do that.

I also think Swisher was written into the cleanup spot the moment he signed.
User avatar
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:02 am
Location: Cleveland, OH
Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:10 am

peeker643 wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:Santana has to hit cleanup in my opinion


Santana has to hit .270 in my opinion.

.265 would be swell.


.265/.365/.440/.805 sounds pretty good to me.

FWIW, Bill James projects him at .261/.383/.476/.859, which I think is really aiming for the stars, but I'd be ecstatic for production like that.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14346
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:16 am

skatingtripods wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:Santana has to hit cleanup in my opinion


Santana has to hit .270 in my opinion.

.265 would be swell.


.265/.365/.440/.805 sounds pretty good to me.

FWIW, Bill James projects him at .261/.383/.476/.859, which I think is really aiming for the stars, but I'd be ecstatic for production like that.


I'm hopeful. He really did quietly turn it up a little over the last few months last season. And he'll be another year past that injury, if that had anything to do with it.

I hope he's behind the plate as much as possible if he's hitting well. It's just so valuable to have a guy with that production back there. I understand that he'll never be a plus defender, but the Mets made due with Piazza.*

*and yes, I understand how stupidly ridiculous it is to compare Carlos to arguably the best offensive catcher in the history of the game. What do y want from me?
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7675
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: CDT's Garage
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:34 am

motherscratcher wrote:I'm hopeful. He really did quietly turn it up a little over the last few months last season. And he'll be another year past that injury, if that had anything to do with it.

I hope he's behind the plate as much as possible if he's hitting well. It's just so valuable to have a guy with that production back there.


Bastian said something last month about how the Indians plan to have him catch as much as his body can handle it.

His second half was interesting. Hit .281, walked four times more than he struck out, had 29 XBH (18 in first half), and hit into 18 double plays.

.244 with RISP won't cut it, though. Not if they're going to hit him 5th or 6th.

He's pretty much just now entering his prime. I keep forgetting that he suffered that concussion last May, which pretty much derailed his first half. I can't help but wonder if the second half Santana is close to what we can expect from now on.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14346
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:31 pm

I love the balance in that lineup. Ideally, Brantley is not a number five hitter (obviously), but for now, it's about the only move you can make that doesn't end up putting a couple lefties back-to-back later on down the lineup, so I'll live with it. You could almost look at him as another leadoff hitter after the clean-up hitter (Swisher). Sounds like a LaRussa kind of experiment, but see what happens. And who knows...maybe dropping Santana down to the 6 hole takes a little pressure off him to where he doesn't have to be "that guy" that we've counted on the past couple years. He puts up that kind of production (or even better, with the pressure off) in the sixth spot in the order, you've got a pretty decent lineup.
User avatar
Adverb Harry
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:30 pm
Location: Souvenir City
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:40 pm

Given the nature of the Indians front office and Antonetti raving about Francona and his desire to know all the stats and talk to the analytics guys when he was interviewed on Clubhouse Confidential last week, maybe this is pertinent to our 2013 lineup: http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/3 ... -lineup-by

Here's the summary:
Another way to look at things is to order the batting slots by the leveraged value of the out. In plain English (sort of), we want to know how costly making an out is by each lineup position, based on the base-out situations they most often find themselves in, and then weighted by how often each lineup spot comes to the plate. Here's how the lineup spots rank in the importance of avoiding outs:

#1, #4, #2, #5, #3, #6, #7, #8, #9

So, you want your best three hitters to hit in the #1, #4, and #2 spots. Distribute them so OBP is higher in the order and SLG is lower. Then place your fourth and fifth best hitters, with the #5 spot usually seeing the better hitter, unless he's a high-homerun guy. Then place your four remaining hitters in decreasing order of overall hitting ability, with basestealers ahead of singles hitters. Finally, stop talking like the lineup is a make-or-break decision.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14346
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:27 pm

^^^^^

Exhibit A for me why numbers geeks get a bad name. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22492
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby pup » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:11 pm

peeker643 wrote:^^^^^

Exhibit A for me why numbers geeks get a bad name. ;-) ;) :wink:



What, thousands of hours spent numbers crunching to figure out the lineups being used for over a century are pretty much right?

Well worth the effort in my opinion.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12004
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Lineup Next Year

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:35 pm

pup wrote:
peeker643 wrote:^^^^^

Exhibit A for me why numbers geeks get a bad name. ;-) ;) :wink:



What, thousands of hours spent numbers crunching to figure out the lineups being used for over a century are pretty much right?

Well worth the effort in my opinion.


Exactly what I was thinin'.

Take the Brantley example. The problem with Brantley hitting 5th isn't so much that he doesn't fit the bill of a "classic" fifth hitter.

The problem is you don't have anyone better hitting 5th.

So old school, or analytical, you're going to draw pretty much the same conclusion.

Using analytics as a reason to shoehorn a guy into a position he shouldn't be in, cause there's no better choice is ok - hell, probably right, it's just that it's an argument that losing teams have - the good offenses ain't out a playas by then.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6504
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ASPDawgpound12, Bing [Bot], dazindiansfanuk, Larvell Blanks and 5 guests

Who is online

In total there are 9 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: ASPDawgpound12, Bing [Bot], dazindiansfanuk, Larvell Blanks and 5 guests