Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

According to Pluto the move to the 3-4

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: According to Pluto the move to the 3-4

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:19 pm

neoleo wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:
neoleo wrote:
I think your message is getting lost behind the tie-in to the 3-4. Because I'm with Pup, it doesn't matter if the Browns run a 4-3, a 3-4 or aligns itself as a fucking soccer team, the defense needed a pass rusher, 2 LB's, a CB and S (and maybe a goal keeper). Those needs haven't changed. Switching to the 3-4 a big deal? Sure, but so was staying in the 4-3.

Except that a 3-4 pass rusher is not the same as a 4-3 pass rusher, and the LBs are not the same either. The only "no big deal" is at the CB and S positions.

Not sure I like the idea of using Phat Phil as the NT for 50 snaps a game. Across the entire front 7 techniques are different, reads are different, assignments are different.....It's not the end of the world, just another step backwards.

I can already set the O/U on wins at 6 and feel pretty comfortable.

So before you needed a DE (pass rusher) and 2 LB's, and now you need an OLB (pass rusher) and two other LB's.

The players needed to fill those voids aren't the same, but you have the same amount of needs at the same positions.

True. But then don't forget that the other guys are essentially playing out of position until they get the hang of things. As I wrote above - not the end of the world but yet another step back.

And J. Sheard at SS? UFO defense all over again.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby jfiling » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Funny, I always thought Pluto was the guy who wraps up a bunch of stories into an easy-to-read format for the more casual fan. I don't recall him breaking much news or really giving in-depth analysis, more of just kind of a recap/aggregation type of columnist. Or, if you prefer, a one-stop-shop writer, again, for the casual fan.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:42 pm

jfiling wrote:Funny, I always thought Pluto was the guy who wraps up a bunch of stories into an easy-to-read format for the more casual fan. I don't recall him breaking much news or really giving in-depth analysis, more of just kind of a recap/aggregation type of columnist. Or, if you prefer, a one-stop-shop writer, again, for the casual fan.

Never seen Pluto in the press box. Not once when I've been there. Doesn't mean he hasn't been, but I've never seen him. I've never NOT seen Dennis Manoloff in the press box. Guy works.

Indians feed Terry Pluto his info and he passes it off as though it's collected first hand. I've SEEN his stories that "borrowed" heavily from Pauly C's stories from this site.

I have zero respect for the man as a writer now. Used to love him.

I watched Hal Lebovitz write those easy to read, casual fan stories. I hated opening the Sunday paper and realizing He was on vacation. Loved him. And I saw Hal Lebovitz in the Browns locker room every single day I was there. He worked and earned his stories and they were his and original. Terry Pluto is simply a has-been fraud.

Reminds me of big name Hollywood actor that stars in shitty mega-movie so he can make the money to produce and star in a small film he loves. Pluto does no work, gets Indians info handed to him so the big daily can have a name behind it, then he takes time to care about his religion column.

That's fine. And I know there are people who like his stuff. To each his own. But can't and won't eat what Pluto is cooking. I know how he makes it. More to the point, I know who makes it.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jerryroche » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:08 pm

Agree with Peeker about Pluto's quality of work, but disagree about the amount of work he does. He's got to be working his ass off.

His writing and reporting was great at the Beacon-Journal, but since coming to the PD, he's been stretched way too thin. An average of three columns a week, plus the Sunday thing, the regular religion column, at least one webcast a week, all the Twitter shit — and he's always working on a couple books. For those columns, he's also got to spend a goodly amount of time mining the Internet for stats, plus he's probably on the phone a lot to his contacts.

Nobody can handle that much writing without sacrificing quality for quantity. Nobody.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:28 pm

jerryroche wrote:Agree with Peeker about Pluto's quality of work, but disagree about the amount of work he does. He's got to be working his ass off.

His writing and reporting was great at the Beacon-Journal, but since coming to the PD, he's been stretched way too thin. An average of three columns a week, plus the Sunday thing, the regular religion column, at least one webcast a week, all the Twitter shit — and he's always working on a couple books. For those columns, he's also got to spend a goodly amount of time mining the Internet for stats, plus he's probably on the phone a lot to his contacts.

Nobody can handle that much writing without sacrificing quality for quantity. Nobody.

You're right about the amount of writing. I guess my issue is the quality and the effort he's putting in gathering information like he used to.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL