Text Size

College Sports Arena

2013 Recruiting

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: 2013 Recruiting

Unread postby furls » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:25 pm

Some decent tweets on EZE's Mom's twitter page indicating he will stay with tOSU.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:26 pm

furls wrote:Some decent tweets on EZE's Mom's twitter page indicating he will stay with tOSU.

7:25 PM - 29 Jan 13 · Details
12mMiz Dee ✌‏@itz_mizdee
@candicenbc4 we'll need to get a bullhorn, because those games in the shoe are LOUD!!!

That tweet is to Darron Lee's Mom.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:55 pm

Bama took an athlete that is going to play DB today and apparently is no longer recruiting Bell (they'd still take him, don't get me wrong).

Looking like this one is going to come down to his very strong year+ relationship with Meyer versus his non-existent relationship with Butch Jones at his childhood favorite/home school. Both school offer early PT, which is the other variable. Worst case at OSU he plays sporadically for a year and then two starting positions open up.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:52 pm

After watching Bell in the all-star game in January, I'm convinced he could be the second best cornerback on the roster the day he sets foot on campus. Those cover skills and ball skills are almost wasted at safety.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby furls » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:38 am

Agree Dan, he could be a CB.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:06 pm

Still feeling like OSU strikes out to end the season. I hope I am wrong, but I think:

-Bell to TN
-Wilson to Oregon
-Clark to FL
-Elder to elsewhere (staff does not seem to be chasing)
-Timmons to elsewhere (staff seems disinterested)

I am OK with whiffing to finish the class. It is fine the way it is. Any of the top 3 above would make it better, but I am OK with the whiff. There are some that think that the Bucks feel good about one of Wilson or Clark and that is why they have backed off Elder and Timmons. I don't know.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:01 pm

Lots of folks reporting Dontre Wilson to announce for tOSU tomorrow!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:48 am

Lots and lots of folks.

Additionally, Givler still thinks Bell to OSU (this isn't a solid pick, the info is always moving and never really nailed down).

I'd stop being so damn pessimistic Furls.

A friend of mine runs track with Clark and says it is UF, so there is that.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:45 pm

I am now confident in Wilson to OSU, still not there with Bell. Agree on Clark.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:46 pm

For anyone interested in checking out Wilson, there's quite a bit of video of him here:

http://ohiostate.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p= ... id=5205321

Looks like Elliott is solid too...you guys probably saw the O-H-I-O photo of him and his family that his dad tweeted over the weekend...

The offensive speed in this class is ridiculous...Marshall, Jacobs, Smith, Barrett, Elliott, Wilson, Baugh. (They say Barrett isn't super fast...like Braxton-fast, but still fast for a QB)

Looks like it's down to Vonn Bell, in or out. Best news I've heard lately is Bell saying he hasn't decided yet, but that the most important factor to him is the relationship with the coaching staff and the head coach. Most people who have been watching this situation say that Urban Meyer has, by far, done the best job of relationship-building with this kid. It seems to be that factor versus the tug of Tennessee, which has the advantage of being the childhood favorite, the preferred choice of the parents, and the proximity to home.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:04 pm

Speaking of J.T. Barrett, there's some decent video of him here:

http://ohiostate.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p= ... id=5813956

From what I can see, he looks a lot like a Braxton clone...though he seems to lack the arm strength of Braxton, he looks like maybe a more powerfully built runner, with excellent quickness and instincts, if not the same kind of pure speed that Miller has.

You wonder what kind of effect the knee surgery will have on all those attributes, and how soon he can be back at 100%. Good redshirt candidate, I'd guess.

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:12 pm

didn't realize at first that a lot of that video is premium content at Scout...sorry about that.

YouTube searches will sometimes turn up a lot of the same stuff, though.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:42 pm

Bell to tOSU is building a lot of momentum. These things don't stay quiet fast, so we should know more in the very near future. I would trade any one of our current commits for Bell. He is that good at a position of dire need.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:03 pm

^^^^ Shit man, I'd even let him dot the "i" .

Come on Vonn!!!!
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby pup » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:41 pm

@Kevin_Noon: #Buckeyes fans. Wanna see the Dontre Wilson announcement live tonight on the web? http://t.co/btUO3wlO Stream One. #OhioState #Texas #Oregon
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:51 pm

It's official. Wilson to the Buckeyes.

danwismar

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:16 am

Could've been worse. He could have said he's going to the State of Ohio University.

Oh well, just run fast and hold onto the ball, kid.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:54 pm

Looks like WR Taivon Jacobs might be considering a switch to the home town school. It's never a good sign when you've been "recruited over" in your own class, and I think that's what OSU has done with the addition of Wilson.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/rec ... _blog.html
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby furls » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:09 pm

Interesting news on Taivon Jacobs. I like him, don't love him. I think he is kind of a poor man's Dontre Wilson. That said, I would still like him to be in the class, but if he leaves at least that is another 2014 schollie.

11W guys are predicting (on hunches) Bell to tOSU.
Rivals guys are predicting Bell to tOSU.
24/7 Guys are predicting Bell to TN.

I tend to think Tennessee, but I am hoping.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:15 pm

Givler doesn't think Taivon is going to have a spot if he doesn't reaffirm about sixty seconds ago...
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:34 pm

furls wrote:Interesting news on Taivon Jacobs. I like him, don't love him. I think he is kind of a poor man's Dontre Wilson. That said, I would still like him to be in the class, but if he leaves at least that is another 2014 schollie.

Farrell tweeted earlier that he thinks Bell has committed to both OSU and UT today...
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:46 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
furls wrote:Interesting news on Taivon Jacobs. I like him, don't love him. I think he is kind of a poor man's Dontre Wilson. That said, I would still like him to be in the class, but if he leaves at least that is another 2014 schollie.

Farrell tweeted earlier that he thinks Bell has committed to both OSU and UT today...

That's one way to do it.

Clearly going Alabama ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby furls » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:05 pm

Bell's recruitment has been one of the most quiet that I can remember. By now, someone usually knows the answer and it is usually out.

Three weeks ago I was convinced he was 'Bama's, but apparently he and his family (correctly) determined that he didn't need 'Bama to be successful. The kid is a very talented player and would develop into a Sunday player at any major school, so the word is that OSU and UT became more appealing due to better looking prospects for early PT (True statement). At UT he starts from day one. At OSU he is on ST (at least) on day one is probably pushing for serious minutes at nickel, assuming he doesn't just cause the staff to keep Bryant at his more natural STAR position. I could easily see Bell starting at FS next year.

I seem to remember, but cant say for sure, that Bell spent alot of time with OSU recruits during the All Star games. That is often a decent indicator as well.

I usually put a lot of stock in 11W as they clearly have someone on the inside at the WHAC feeding them. Some services have contacts related to the recruit somehow, 11W's are generally related to the staff, so that usually means that they are slaves to whatever BS the kid is giving the staff, but they are right ALOT (they nailed Wilson this weekend). So we have that going for us at 11W.

The fact that no one can definitely say the kid is going on place or another is maddening. I personally think that he ends up staying home. I think Taivon Jacobs stays home too. I am not sure the staff is really all that interested now that they have exactly the same player in Wilson.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:46 pm

The WHAC can be wrong too though. Givler had Quick to UL the entire time despite the staff having him coming to OSU all the way.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:48 pm

Oh and Bell spent a ton of time with Jalin fpr the UA game.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:09 pm

Holy Shit...

James Clark to tOSU. I was not counting on that. Some guys who are generally very conservative in their tOSU calls are saying that unless something totally unexpected happens James Clark will be a Buckeye.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Schruted it » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:18 pm

Any worries about losing any other commits besides Jacobs? I've seen Trey Johnson and EZE's name floated.
Schruted it

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: Kendrick Perkins

Unread postby furls » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:32 pm

Trey Johnson will be a Buckeye. Zeke Elliot seems less certain. I still like the Buckeyes odds, but it appears less certain today than it did a couple of weeks ago.

I like Elliot a lot. He is one of my top 5 or so in this class, that said, if we could afford to lose a guy at a specific position, RB is probably the one. I still want Elliot to stay, he is PERFECT for Meyer's offense, but there are a lot of pretty good RBs on the DC:

-Hyde (Sr.)
-Hall (sr.)
-Rod Smith (Jr.)
-Dunn (So.)
-Ball (rFr.)

Things would be a bit slim in 2014 without Hall or Hyde, but the Bucks are in on some pretty good '14 Backs too. The kind of backs that could make a big splash as true freshman, Jalen Hurd for example. Hurd is a top 10 national player type, and possibly #1 RB in the country.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby dmiles » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:14 pm

Can't believe this closing flurry.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:37 pm

This is Givler's closing words on Bell (yes this is insider shit I am sharing, but it's so meh I feel like it is advertising, especially since 11ws will steal it):

As of this afternoon, Bell had still not made a final decision, however I am told that a decision will 100% be reached before he goes to bed tonight. This is not going to be a "wake up and see how he feels" type of situation.

I think Ohio State has a lot going for themselves here but of course so does Tennessee with the proximity from home and being the childhood favorite.

I will re-iterate that regardless of what happens, Ohio State did the best possible job they could have of recruiting Bell. They played this one just as they should have, by showing Bell what a high priority he was, without the high pressure sales job that I think helped cost Alabama in this race.

Not going to change my pick. Will ride with the pick I've made for about a month and a half and if I'm wrong so be it.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:25 am

Would make sense if true, and would also explain why no one seems to know for sure.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:45 am

Do we know when Bell is announcing?
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:27 am

From 11W

TIME (ET) WHERE SCHOOLS
JAMES CLARK 9 a.m. MaxPreps OSU, Clemson, Florida, NW
TAIVON JACOBS 10 a.m. OSU, Maryland
VONN BELL 10:05 a.m. ESPNU OSU, Bama, Tenn
TREY JOHNSON 2:15 p.m. OSU, Tenn, Florida
EZEKIEL ELLIOTT 5 p.m. KSDK Live OSU, Mizzou
Sea Foam Green

Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:34 am

gotribe31 wrote:Do we know when Bell is announcing?

People are calling Bell to Tennessee this morning, but Clark is in, and that's huge. Greene says Jacobs probably ends up at Maryland, and that it's probably "best for all concerned"

danwismar

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:35 am

Ahhh, what a glorious day.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:39 am

Jacobs has a one year old daughter that would be staying in MD. Hard to blame the kid for blinking over that.

Bell calls it in twenty and No One saw Clark to OSU coming until late yesterday. That's just unreal.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:52 am

Also, FYI, Trey Johnson has already faxed in his letter. All of the Florida Rumors from yesterday were BS.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:07 am

UFM!

The Closer

Bell to OSU!

danwismar

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:08 am

BELL!!!!!!!!!!
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:10 am

Well now.....
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:13 am

Hey Furls, stop being so damn pessimistic.

I'll give Givler all the credit in the world on Bell, he's had that Bell to OSU pick out there for almost two months and never waivered, despite everyone and their mother thinking he was going to Bama.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:18 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Hey Furls, stop being so damn pessimistic.

I'll give Givler all the credit in the world on Bell, he's had that Bell to OSU pick out there for almost two months and never waivered, despite everyone and their mother thinking he was going to Bama.

Feldman tweeted about 30 min before the pick that he was a UT lock. Oops.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:21 am

Jacobs flips to Maryland. Good luck to him and his family. He'll make a good #2 with Diggs there. And we can see him in the B1G in a couple years.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:23 am

gotribe31 wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Hey Furls, stop being so damn pessimistic.

Feldman tweeted about 30 min before the pick that he was a UT lock. Oops.

Yeah, everyone but Givler, Noon and Farrel took that Feldman tweet as the end of it all.

Feldman also dropped a line about Butch Jones having a good day. Lulz.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:23 am

-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:24 am

danwismar wrote:UFM!

The Closer

Bell to OSU!

Heard the kid was impressive with announcement. If anyone has it or can link it I'd like to see that. Same with Clark.

NEW SMYRNA BEACH – Wide receiver James Clark, one of Florida’s most coveted uncommitted prospects going into National Signing Day, made Urban Myer and a legion of Ohio State football fans very happy on Wednesday morning.

Clark, who brought an enticing blend of speed, athleticism and academic success to the recruiting season, saved his decision as a secret – at least publicly -- for a National Signing Day signing ceremony at his high school’s auditorium.

In an announcement made for live television the 5-11, 170-pound slot receiver donned a Buckeyes cap. He chose Ohio state over Florida and Clemson.

“Ohio state provided the best opportunity to be successful on the field and for life after football,” Clark said. “It’s a place I felt happy at.

“It was really hard. Florida is a great school. Ohio State, I felt it was the right place for me. Coach Meyer told me, ‘Don’t come to Ohio State unless I was ready to make grown man moves. That’s what I had to do.”

Clark said he became very close to Meyer during the recruitment process.

“Coach Meyer and I are very close. He’s like a second dad for me.”

Family, teammates and New Smyrna’s senior class gathered for the announcement and cheered a highlight tape devoted to Clark and teammate Davarez Bryant before they divulged their decisions. The packed room erupted while watching a play in which Clark caught a pass in the left flat, dodged a defender and then reversed a field and ran back through the backfield and down the opposite sideline for a big gain.

Clark carried a 3.98 GPA while amassing over 2,000 all-purpose yards and 20 touchdowns in his prep career. He had 49 catches for 1,112 yards and 8 TDs as a senior for a Barracudas team that went 9-0 in the regular season and won its district. He was named to the Class 6A All-State team.

Clark has been clocked in the 40-yard dash at 4.38 seconds and at 10.43 for 100 meters on the track.

Clark visited Ohio state on Jan. 25. He went to Clemson on Jan. 18 and to on an unofficial UF last weekend. He also took trips to Nebraska, Northwestern and Purdue.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:24 am

I cannot imagine Elliott not wanting to be a part of this.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:27 am

Clark has a 3.98 and before his senior film got him offered by OSU/UF/Clemson he was leaning Northwestern. Both him and Bell are really impressive kids based on every interview I've seen.

Dontre Wilson on the other hand.... well he's smart enough to be leaving Texas to get away from shitty people that are trying to drag him down.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:33 am

Rivals has OSU class at #1

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... 13/all/all

Scout will also when they revise the rankings shortly.

Losing Jacobs (a 3-star) actually raises their ranking. I believe they now have as many 5-stars as they do 3-stars...so the class should average 4.0. That's the best ever class at OSU, by that metric.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:41 am

The Punter's 2 Star with Rivals (like all Punters) is going to hurt the star rating. That said, when you look at a recruits profile at Rivals you'll notice that they are rated a 5.7/5.8/6.0, etc. When you look at OSU's four stars you'll notice that most all of them (like Jalin) are as close as they can possibly be to a five star rating. OSU's fours in this class aren't really fours.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena